Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hedrigall posted:

The animals often are a unifying aspect between all the films. Birds and rodents feel the same across decades. A horse might be stylised in very different ways (Mulan’s horse vs the one from Tangled vs the one from Hunchback, etc) but all Disney horses act the same, they’re sassy as heck, it’s a Disney trademark

I've read that horses are very hard to draw, almost as much as humans, and doing it wrong will really weird out your audience unless they're very stylised. Not surprising that they put effort into giving them personality, it also comes off as realistic given everything I've heard about irl horses.

Also comes to mind; Donkey Kong in Smash Bros has his mannerisms based on a horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Which of the two fantasia is better?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm gonna go against the inevitable grain and say I prefer the second Fantasia more

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Both Fantasias are excellent but only one of them has the Rhapsody in Blue sequence and that about seals the deal for me.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've read that horses are very hard to draw, almost as much as humans, and doing it wrong will really weird out your audience unless they're very stylised. Not surprising that they put effort into giving them personality, it also comes off as realistic given everything I've heard about irl horses.

Also comes to mind; Donkey Kong in Smash Bros has his mannerisms based on a horse.
I think it actually takes a while for Disney to figure out horses. They come into their home mostly in Cinderella where you get those sharp question mark shaped necks and heads that define Disney Horses. Before that, they're very floppy and still harken to a rubber hose style. But you can see the beginning of THE Disney horse in Fantasia, but it's not consistent.

OG Fantasia has better individual sequences, but has more sequences that are a bit of a chore. There's a very World's Fair/Disneyland exhibit vibe that doesn't age well.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I decided to go back and re-watch The Black Cauldron and Oliver & Company recently, two movies I haven’t seen since they were originally in the theatre. I figured they couldn’t be all that bad. I think Black Cauldron is the least Disney-seeming Disney film I can remember seeing. It has some heavy Bakshi vibes, visually. Maybe if Bakshi and Bluth made a movie together? Story-wise, it just felt so lifeless, perfunctory, and cobbled together. There was no real charm to the characters at all, and things seemed to move from one plot point to the next because the story demanded it, not because any character felt particularly strongly about it.

I tried to watch Oliver & Company on Disney+, and what I saw was just kind of ugly. Then the video got progressively more choppy and unwatchable. It didn’t happen with any other movie, and my Internet seemed fine, so I can only conclude that Oliver & Company is a cursed film.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Disney horses tend to be stylized very heavily to the film, for example you can see the difference between Philippe and Mulan's horse, or Major. Horses aren't really especially difficult to draw, but they're just familiar enough animals that if you do it wrong it's very conspicuous. Or at least, familiar to an American audience; I admit that was something about running joke back when I was into manga, is there didn't seem to be a lot of artists who were familiar with drawing horses and you got some really weird drawings. But then again, the United States has vastly more horses than any other country!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Phylodox posted:

I decided to go back and re-watch The Black Cauldron and Oliver & Company recently, two movies I haven’t seen since they were originally in the theatre. I figured they couldn’t be all that bad. I think Black Cauldron is the least Disney-seeming Disney film I can remember seeing. It has some heavy Bakshi vibes, visually. Maybe if Bakshi and Bluth made a movie together? Story-wise, it just felt so lifeless, perfunctory, and cobbled together. There was no real charm to the characters at all, and things seemed to move from one plot point to the next because the story demanded it, not because any character felt particularly strongly about it.
I watched Black Cauldron a few months back for the first time, hearing how it was like "the forgotten Disney animated movie" or whatever. I had high hopes considering it was fantasy-themed, but it was one of the worst animated movies I've ever seen. Yeah, the story is just complete confusing garbage and the characters are all super annoying. It felt like someone's bad D&D session that they were making up as they went along.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I have a friend who has avoided Disney movies for most of his life, but is a huge animation fan. Will be fun to watch through them and hear his thoughts

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The Black Cauldron had all the hallmark problems of trying to jam several books into a movie with a relatively short runtime.

Oliver and Company is fine, just it's very reflective of how grimy and gross New York was in the period.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like there is an alternate universe where the Black Cauldron is almost like a reclaiming of Disney. I think the Golden Age films really show this ambition to be more than family entertainment. Fantasia is the prime example with its nudity and scary imagery, but Bambi is almost rejection of funny animal films. Everyone talks about the mother dying moment, but the last act of the film is pretty harrowing.

The problem is that it really lacks in spectacle. It has the cadence of a cheap fantasy film from the day. There is some okay design work, but it all feels cheap. I think it's important when you go back to Sleeping Beauty or Peter Pan that some of the things you're seeing (Heroes flying around, knights fighting fire breathing dragons) were things that the contemporary fantasy and adventure films could not depict at the same fidelity. Disney set a lot of standards for tropes that we take for granted. Golden and Silver Age Disney exceeded what many modern family and adventure films did while Black Cauldron is shooting for the standards of its contemporaries. It stupidly rejects a lot of what defines Disney when Disneyness is what the movie needed. Specifically the part where you just treat the source material as a starting point and focus on telling a good, compelling story.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Bolt has a character who I believe to be the most underrated character in the whole Canon - Mindy-From-The-Network. I really loved her, because she initially seemed like the bitchy suit with a cold heart who'll fire everyone for no reason, but he was just a woman trying to do a really hard job while butting heads with a manchild director who was deliberately trying to sabotage her. I liked her scene with Penny in particular, because while everyone else is talking over or down to her, treating her like a child, Mindy doesn't. She talks to her, face to face, like an adult, laying out the situation in grave detail because if Penny lets Bolt's disappearance stop the shows production, many people will lose their jobs. So she gives her a kind yet stern reality check:

"I know it's not fair. This decision shouldn't have to be on you. You're a very young girl being asked to make a VERY grown up decision. But if you don't, a lot of good people are going to lose their jobs."

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think it's interesting that they had Mittens not only be abandoned, but also be declawed. It's extremely hosed up to abandon a pet, but I think it tends to happen way more with cats, and it's especially hosed up to abandon them when you've taken away their only defense mechanism. The movie doesn't like... make it a huge thing, but I was glad they had this little anti-declawing message in the movie. Don't declaw your cats!!!!

Bolt was overall really solid, I'd be interested in what a Bolt that had been made AFTER Tangled would be like. As it is Bolt is this strange bridge between Meet the Robinsons and Chicken Little to the Tangled and beyond WDFA movies where it feels like they're almost there but not quite.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 23, 2020

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Daaaaang, Lady and the Tramp is stunningly beautiful.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The_Doctor posted:

What film feels the least like Disney?

I’ve always thought that it’s interesting that Lilo and Stitch is a movie where the art style of one particular artist shines through the classic Disney Look. You don’t think of anyone at Disney as an auteur (except, you know, the big one) but Chris Sanders got such a unique opportunity and really got to stretch what it means to be a Disney movie.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I would punch the president for a third Fantasia movie, I loved the first two and I want more.

God, I should do a back to back fantasia watch over the holidays.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I always remember liking Fantasia and I still think it’s a good concept and I also like individual segments in them, but dang every time I sit down to watch them I’m bored

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The original

2000 is like “hey we have a good Gershwin segment and we reused the Mickey one, now here’s a bunch of lame poo poo and bad CGI and 90s celebrities”

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Fantasia 2000 is far more hit or miss, I was lucky to see it in IMAX when it came out. The Firebird and Rhapsody in Blue were the best segments.

Pomp and Circumstance was mostly bad except for the one gag during the loading scene (you know the one)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

The Steadfast Tin Soldier was a good segment, but I think Fantasia 2000 suffers from being really short, it being not even 90 minutes really limited the kind of music they could use.

The first Fantasia you had 2 big pieces, The Rite of Spring and an abridged version of Beethoven's sixth, but even stuff like the Nutcracker suite was pretty long. In Fantasia 2000 everything was just really short, I think Rhapsody in Blue is the only long piece and it's maybe 15 minutes, then there's all the time eaten up by the introductions.

Fantasia 2000 just feels like it was made by people that fundamentally did not understand the concept of Fantasia, but that's hardly surprising considering the reason we got Pomp and Circumstance is because Eisner heard it at his kid's graduation and thought it should be included.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
My (8yo) son recently came home with English homework. Just a list of words for him to learn the translation of. One of the words was "dodgeball". (they've also been playing it a lot in gym class)

Deep within I heard an echo. "DOODGEBALLL!"

So I took to the internet and with some effort found the Dodgeball episode from Dexter's Lab. Seriously, why is it so difficult to find those old Cartoon Cartoons?
He didn't understand everything, but had a good chuckle at some of the insanity. And mech's are always cool, even when played for laughs.
And now my son will never forget the word Dodgeball.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I agree with the consensus that Fantasia 2K is a little too short, both overall and per-segment. You can certainly argue that the original is too long, too. But it does have a little more variety in the type of things they do, while also somehow feeling more cohesive. It's hard to pinpoint exactly why, except to say that F2K feels similar to watching the Disney Shorts collection, in a way that the original doesn't.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Aces High posted:

the reason we got Pomp and Circumstance is because Eisner heard it at his kid's graduation and thought it should be included.

Eisner's tenure is basically a 20 year version of this and it never ceases making me laugh

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

This isn't quite the same thing, because Kiki growing up and leaving behind childish things is neither a moral condemnation nor an intellectual one. Susan is explicitly sinful prone to vanity and lust. Kiki isn't conducive to being read as a Christian allegory in the same way

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And he originally wanted it to be a Parade of disney characters married and showing off their kids, but was roundly told (most notably by one of the Old Men of Disney) that it's a loving stupid idea, so we had Noah's Ark instead.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

JazzFlight posted:

I watched Black Cauldron a few months back for the first time, hearing how it was like "the forgotten Disney animated movie" or whatever. I had high hopes considering it was fantasy-themed, but it was one of the worst animated movies I've ever seen. Yeah, the story is just complete confusing garbage and the characters are all super annoying. It felt like someone's bad D&D session that they were making up as they went along.

Thank you! The Black Cauldron constantly shows up on 'Underrated Disney Classics' lists and it always baffles me. I can only conclude that the people who consider it to be 'The controversial dark Disney movie' have never actually seen it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It not only isn't very good, it's far far worse than the book it's based on.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
While watching it all I could think was that it honestly felt like a lost segment from Heavy Metal. Replace "Black Cauldron" with "Loc-Nar" and there you have it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Like right off the bat, that whole "your girl pet pig with giant eyelashes is some magic chosen seer" or whatever is just so odd and slow for the beginning of the movie. I swerved immediately to "oh noooo, this is bad."

You start getting to that annoying Gurgi character and it's really grating. Then there are those oddly horny witches... Ugh, they made just so many weird decisions in the development of this movie!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I mean, the prophetic pig is from the books, that part you probably had to keep.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

From the directors of Killer Klowns from Outer Space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UC7jvL_xp0

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Clifford, the medium sized biggest dog.

https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/status/1331313331567792129

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Yeah that's not right at all.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well, it'll be an origin story, so that may be in the puppy phase.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

Well, it'll be an origin story, so that may be in the puppy phase.

That's not even right then! Clifford was canonically a very small puppy:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
there's an interim period where he's getting bigger!!!!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOhMLyYwK6w

It's cute they assume it'll be in theaters though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
He’s not very red?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Reviews for Soul are coming out

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/soul_2020

So far very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOhMLyYwK6w

It's cute they assume it'll be in theaters though.

ads for that loving Croods sequel keep popping up and they all say "In Theaters This Weekend" and it's insane because where in the gently caress are these theaters that are going to be open