Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

pthighs posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/carlbernstein/status/1330710305354129410

I find this very interesting, that he's naming names. Hopefully it makes the DJT very mad at them.

e: I wonder if any of them gave permission to Bernstein to leak this to try to rewrite their complicity?

Then maybe any of them but Romney should have voted for impeachment if they think he's unfit for office, jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tibalt posted:

That's because they didn't include the third tweet where Bernstein specifically calls out those 21 Republicans craven cowards who won't defend our democracy but will pretend to care in private for the positive news treatment.

https://twitter.com/carlbernstein/status/1330710307052814336

Extremely good. Definitely not getting the impression they wanted their names on the record lol

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
EDIT: Nevermind, skipped over a couple posts where this got handled.

Epinephrine fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 23, 2020

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

Extremely good. Definitely not getting the impression they wanted their names on the record lol

I'm sure he knows he's torching a bunch of sources, but gently caress it. If the Very Concerned crowd won't speak up now then they belong in the trash bin along with Trump, even by the sorry standards of Liberals.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm sure he knows he's torching a bunch of sources, but gently caress it. If the Very Concerned crowd won't speak up now then they belong in the trash bin along with Trump, even by the sorry standards of Liberals.

Yeah, this isn't going to have any real effect, but I respect him for at least trying rather than "Let's give Steve Bannon a positive character piece and also cover up COVID information for months to sell books" Woodward

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Astro7x posted:

I love just being able to ignore all the news about whatever the big Orange baby is doing about challenging the election results because it’s a bunch of bullshit that will fail in court. My god is it a wonderful feeling...

I keep wondering if I'm being too complacent about this, but as others have pointed out, worrying too much about how low the GOP will go is basically fretting over something you really cannot control.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Ravenfood posted:

Then maybe any of them but Romney should have voted for impeachment if they think he's unfit for office, jesus.

Looking back, seems to me that being unfit for office is pretty much a must for republican presidents, starting with Reagan.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m surprised that he hasn’t done a public speech other than the boring covid one. I was expecting him to demand airtime for a National address where he explains that he won. Maybe the narcissistic injury was too great and he can’t get over it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

This is a long post about how bonkers the American electoral system is, if you are not interested feel free to skip. If you do comment, do me the courtesy of reading it, though.

<snip>
This was unfortunately lost as the last post on a page but more people should go look at it, it's very right.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

They just lost the Supreme Court though? And Michigan by far of the swing states voted in higher margins against Trump?

this from a few pages ago but they lost the SC?? :dance:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Mr Interweb posted:

this from a few pages ago but they lost the SC?? :dance:

Just the state SC. They haven't had a case show up to SCOTUS yet.

They likely won't get a case before them either and if they do, they'll lose there too.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 23, 2020

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Neurolimal posted:

https://twitter.com/dancohen3000/status/1330714170648645633?s=20

So uh, this thread is pretty concerning.

I wish the actual left had this dedication to power, honestly.

Lol he literally has been on the wrong side of everything, awesome!

copy
Jul 26, 2007

I hope you don't mind me zeroing this out in my reply, as there was quite a lot and I am going to talk mainly to the thrust of your argument here rather than specific lines. I think this helped put some thoughts in order in my head. Thanks friend. I definitely agree that the United States is very undemocratic. I think that election reform is required, but I also think that the only time we ever have a chance to pass it through electoralism is when those reforms actually help the hegemony of the entrenched power. For example look at CA caving on RCV after Newsom vetoed it while I think Maine passed it after an actual spoiler candidate turned up and tanked an election (I might be mistaken on these particular details and please correct me if I am).

I think that getting these kinds of election reforms is going to require substantial work outside of the electoral process to be accomplished. Because of that, it can be easy to assume people don't care about it because they are focusing on other extra-electoral projects. However I think it's a lot easier to get enough people together for some kind of direct action critical mass for things like DTP or closing concentration camps than it is something like "increase the number of reps in the house by a factor of ten" or "replace all of the senate's levers of power with fisher-price replicas that do nothing." I think the main reason it is so hard to drum up support for that is because, somehow, our elections are still viewed as legitimate in spite of everything you outlined in your post there demonstrating very clearly that they are shams. I think that if we ever want people to give a poo poo - to the point of rioting - about the kind of election reforms we need, we first need to somehow overcome that barrier.

Thanks again for helping my organize some of my thoughts on this.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
also apparently flourney is pretty awful!

https://twitter.com/RoKhanna/status/1330689482773979136

we're literally never gonna leave afghanistan

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Surely at this point anyone serious isn't treating Trump as anything more than a joke?

Will be hilarious when he's finally turfed out of the Whitehouse, angrily and childishly, on the 19th of January. Probably in a massive motorcade.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Flayer posted:

Surely at this point anyone serious isn't treating Trump as anything more than a joke?

Will be hilarious when he's finally turfed out of the Whitehouse, angrily and childishly, on the 19th of January. Probably in a massive motorcade.

It's been said before, but I doubt he'll be anywhere near the White House on January 1st, much less January 20th.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Epic High Five posted:

I think my favorite thing from this is that Ted Cruz doesn't even have the stones to show contempt in private for the man that insulted his wife.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Handsome Ralph posted:

Just the state SC. They haven't had a case show up to SCOTUS yet.

They likely won't get a case before them either and if they do, they'll lose their too.

yeah i was referring to the state SC. that's still a big f'in deal.

also

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1330876368868044803

https://twitter.com/BennyGrin/status/1330877240549273601

what do you guys think?

DrThief
Jan 6, 2001

DarkCrawler posted:

This is a long post about how bonkers the American electoral system is, if you are not interested feel free to skip. If you do comment, do me the courtesy of reading it, though.

As a European the American electoral system always seemed to me as a big mess and deeply undemocratic. Of course things are even weirder here in Euroland. Seven institutions, member state veto for some decisions, qualified majority for others, etc. At least the EU doesn't hold much power (yet) on the day-to-day running of the national governments. But that's a discussion for another thread.

Regarding the US:
- Abolish the electoral college and elect the president by simple popular vote.
- Give most of Senate powers to the House of Representatives, and make the Senate a mostly advisory body with no real legislative power.

How hard would it be to implement changes such as these? Would it require an amendment to the Constitution, 2/3rds majority, or the ghost of George Washington appearing before the Congress?

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Mr Interweb posted:

also

what do you guys think?

In an interview the other day, Dave Wasserman said he wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a wash. Worth remembering though is that Dems did not make any gains in the state leg in Texas or Florida, and we can expect those to end up fairly bad for Democrats.

In North Carolina, the governor does not get to veto any new districts (the GOP controlled leg made this so when a Dem won the governor's race), but I thin the state Supreme Court is going to be majority Dem going forward? And New York has a clear majority in the legislature with Dems now, but NY was already pretty Dem-heavy in the House.

I think calling it "brutal" is a bit unnecessary at this point, and is Yglesias wanting attention. However, it's a concern, definitely.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

also

what do you guys think?

Too much of America has looked at the last four years and asked for more.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DrThief posted:

How hard would it be to implement changes such as these? Would it require an amendment to the Constitution, 2/3rds majority, or the ghost of George Washington appearing before the Congress?

Yes to all 3

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
It's not going to be great, but the GOP won't have the same amount of gerrymandering power it had in 2010. I expect Dems to lose some seats in 2022 but the landscape shouldn't suck nearly as bad as it did in 2012.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Bizarro Watt posted:

In an interview the other day, Dave Wasserman said he wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a wash. Worth remembering though is that Dems did not make any gains in the state leg in Texas or Florida, and we can expect those to end up fairly bad for Democrats.

In North Carolina, the governor does not get to veto any new districts (the GOP controlled leg made this so when a Dem won the governor's race), but I thin the state Supreme Court is going to be majority Dem going forward? And New York has a clear majority in the legislature with Dems now, but NY was already pretty Dem-heavy in the House.

I think calling it "brutal" is a bit unnecessary at this point, and is Yglesias wanting attention. However, it's a concern, definitely.

when you say it's gonna be a wash, do you mean the redisctricting will be roughly equal for both dems and repubs, or that we'll be in no different position than we were after 2010?

and yeah, FL and TX weren't included for that very reason, though i'd be impressed if they somehow got worse.

edit: to be clear, i know we're going to lose seats in 2022. that much is almost a certainty regardless of how the economy performs. i just want to know if we'll still be hosed for a decade like last time

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
they're going to 100% get worse, because our republican spite governments understand this is nearing the end of their time as a fully locked total control situation so they're gonna do all they can to make every district look like Crenshaw's.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

when you say it's gonna be a wash, do you mean the redisctricting will be roughly equal for both dems and repubs, or that we'll be in no different position than we were after 2010?

and yeah, FL and TX weren't included for that very reason, though i'd be impressed if they somehow got worse.

Sorry I should have been more clear. My interpretation of what he meant was that it wouldn't be too different from what it is currently, with a lean toward GOP, but the Dems would still have the means to achieve slim majorities in the House in future elections. "Brutal" in my mind implies a scenario where Dems have no hope of ever getting a majority again even in a wave year.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Listen you dumb alcoholic, you want a layup house seat in 2022 to avoid prosecution or don’t you?

https://twitter.com/donaldjtrumpjr/status/1330886737594363904?s=21

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

In defense of the American electoral system the last time we reformed things to limit the outsized power of a craven conservative segment, they opened fire on Ft. Sumter.

It still needs to happen and is likely inevitable, but I don't blame anyone who isn't eager to wrestle that particular boar.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

democrats in CA and NY and any other state that has full dem controls really needs to play hardball and gerrymander the gently caress out of their states.

edit: just checked the numbers and after 2010, the repubs controlled the house from a low of 35 seats to as high as 60(!!!) before 2018 :psyduck:

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 23, 2020

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

DrThief posted:

As a European the American electoral system always seemed to me as a big mess and deeply undemocratic. Of course things are even weirder here in Euroland. Seven institutions, member state veto for some decisions, qualified majority for others, etc. At least the EU doesn't hold much power (yet) on the day-to-day running of the national governments. But that's a discussion for another thread.

Regarding the US:
- Abolish the electoral college and elect the president by simple popular vote.
- Give most of Senate powers to the House of Representatives, and make the Senate a mostly advisory body with no real legislative power.

it would require civil war, op

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What time are Michigan and Pennsylvania suppose to certify their votes?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Just cross posting that the new Polliwonks thread is up and running.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3948898

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

A big flaming stink posted:

The number of dedicated Democrats throwing a fit over this, to the extent of calling Khanna a traitor, is really something.

Mr Interweb posted:

democrats in CA and NY and any other state that has full dem controls really needs to play hardball and gerrymander the gently caress out of their states.

edit: just checked the numbers and after 2010, the repubs controlled the house from a low of 35 seats to as high as 60(!!!) before 2018 :psyduck:

Newsom wouldn't even get behind strong rent control, housing fairness, or environmental protection policies and Cuomo would rather work with Republicans than his own party. I would not have high hopes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mat Cauthon posted:

The number of dedicated Democrats throwing a fit over this, to the extent of calling Khanna a traitor, is really something.

Newsom wouldn't even get behind strong rent control, housing fairness, or environmental protection policies and Cuomo would rather work with Republicans than his own party. I would not have high hopes.

Ro is the media's favorite 'I'm as progressive as they come...BUT' simp but as soon as he actually dares to have values (and truly, the bare minimum of them) he's basically handing the presidency back to Trump. Absolute loving cowards, the dems deserve everything they get.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

Neurolimal posted:

https://twitter.com/dancohen3000/status/1330714170648645633?s=20

So uh, this thread is pretty concerning.

I wish the actual left had this dedication to power, honestly.

Do we still have to pretend Biden was the dove in Obama's administration?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

Even every leftist here is playing by the system and wanting to accomplish other objectives before tearing the gently caress down this complete mockery of democracy and then doing those other objectives. Instead of removing the billion different legislative challenges and court decisions and inter-state bullshit that ensures it would take a decade to institute even the most basic widely available M4A, there seems to be no interest in eradicating those challenges.

We understand that, but we literally can't. To change most the things you've listed would require either constitutional amendments (for each one, 2/3rds of the House and Senate approve, then 3/4ths of the states approve) or a new constitutional convention (2/3rds of the states call for it, it can pass as many amendments as it wants so long as 3/4ths of the states approve). If the left is ever in a position to be able to change those things, we've already won.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Listen you dumb alcoholic, you want a layup house seat in 2022 to avoid prosecution or don’t you?

https://twitter.com/donaldjtrumpjr/status/1330886737594363904?s=21

https://twitter.com/SamWangPhD/status/1330697784241090560

This poo poo is gonna be so good

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Hollismason posted:

What time are Michigan and Pennsylvania suppose to certify their votes?

Michigan board meets 1pm EST.

Pennsylvania counties certify today, but as far as the SoS signing off there is no clear deadline. Also I heard a few counties might need longer due to COVID. This happened in Virginia (which certified a week later).

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

The current House delegation (I think before this recent election) is 45-7 in California. It'd be hard to do better than that I wager.

The fly in the ointment is that California uses a bipartisan redistricting commission, but last time the Dems played major hardball to ensure the districts that the bipartisan commission passed would benefit the Dems. Not sure they'd be able to get away with it again, because last time it caught the GOP off guard. Despite what another posted implied, Newsom does not play a large role in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

The Beer hall putsch famously failed and they won power by winning an election and then manipulating the centrist and right wing political elites into giving them a blank check.

They didn't win the 1932 election, Hindenburg did. Ironically, by persuading the soft left that only he could hold the line against the NSDAP. He then made Hitler chancellor.