Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

this kept them from being able to get any work done.

I’ll take “completely foreseeable consequences for $200, Alex”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The Fool posted:

I’ll take “completely foreseeable consequences for $200, Alex”

Having worked in contact centres for the last 15 years I am very confident in saying that any time you ask someone who didn't apply for a call centre job to take calls in anything like a call centre environment it will go incredibly badly. Frankly I'm amazed it got as far as being implemented in Bob's case without the finance department all calling in sick or otherwise feigning an inability to answer a call.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

gently caress the issue of getting work done. Why in the ever-loving gently caress are you asking accountants to console family member of people that could very well be dying. That's not what they signed up for.

Like, this isn't even a minor process issue, you dumped a whole lot of psychological trauma on a team that has zero training on how to deal with it. gently caress every aspect of that. It's not good for the workers and it's not good for the people calling in.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Woof Blitzer posted:

I'm so sick of AnyConnect and ASAs. God drat. Always stop working when it's least convenient.

AnyConnect just angers me all the time. Terrible logging, terrible interface, terrible options, terrible documentation. On Linux it doesn't even support PKCS11 devices (but it does on Windows & MacOS, because that makes sense). Really just nothing good to say about it other than 'sometimes it works as expected' which is about the bare minimum you can say about a given product and nothing at all to be proud of.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Sheep posted:

AnyConnect just angers me all the time. Terrible logging, terrible interface, terrible options, terrible documentation. On Linux it doesn't even support PKCS11 devices (but it does on Windows & MacOS, because that makes sense). Really just nothing good to say about it other than 'sometimes it works as expected' which is about the bare minimum you can say about a given product and nothing at all to be proud of.

At least AnyConnect works on Linux, that's more than I can say for Palo Alto's

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Coffee break chat:

Anyone else out there go hog wild on a new coffee machine when work from home hit? I got a Jura A1 espresso/americano machine and it's quite possibly the best qol improvement I have ever gotten.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I got a burr grinder and have a chemex pour-over

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

For coffee, I have the reusable pods for my Keurig and a nice grinder so I get fresh ground on demand, I never worried about a french press but we did have one in a hotel room recently and it was quite nice. I just really love the convenience of the Keurig.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I've used the same Ninja coffeemaker for the past while because I am a whole and put enough sugar in my coffee for the subtle difference in flavors (French press, kuerigh, etc) to not matter.

Best qol improvement for coffee for me was a yeti dedicated to coffee. That way it stays hot and I can make a predetermined amount at a time and not have the last cup from the pot scorched to all hell because I got lost in a rabbit hole of an issue and forgot to drink it for a few hours.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive got a decent burr grinder and just use that with a regular drip coffee maker. Freshly ground good coffee seems like its 80% of getting a good cup of coffee. When I want to get fancy in the mornings I make a couple of espresso lite type coffee with my Moka pot.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I'm still using the same old cheap grinder and drip machine, but I have up'ed the quality of coffee I am getting. I was doing the Kona thing for a bit, but then I found the guy in SA MART. He likes Ethiopian coffee and so do I.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Ive got a decent burr grinder and just use that with a regular drip coffee maker. Freshly ground good coffee seems like its 80% of getting a good cup of coffee. When I want to get fancy in the mornings I make a couple of espresso lite type coffee with my Moka pot.

Bringing a moka pot to work and using it, people think you've brought back some kind of martian artifact, it's pretty cool.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Coffee break chat:

Anyone else out there go hog wild on a new coffee machine when work from home hit? I got a Jura A1 espresso/americano machine and it's quite possibly the best qol improvement I have ever gotten.

Funny you should ask, right as I'm making a pourover. As soon as both our employers announced WFH, we upgraded our burr grinder from a cuisinart to a Baratza Virtuoso, got a chemex to replace an older, jankier setup and got 2 single origin coffee subscriptions going.

Wife used to work for a coffee roaster and I've been into single origin drip even before we met, so once we realized we're on our own for 2 coffees a day instead of 0-1, it was time. The Virtuoso is so much better at producing consistent grinds than our $50 cuisinart.

We're holding off on an espresso machine until we IPO. Then it's time for a La Marzocco GS3

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Adobe licensing. My supervisor repeatly tells me the users manage their own licenses. The users never have it. They think new laptops for WFH have it by default and I gotta break the bad news. They think I can restore software after a crash when no one kept the records. gently caress

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

How many licenses do you have and are you already on the subscription model?

You should look at Adobe Teams

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Also, never let users manage licenses unless you intentionally want them to lose it

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

luminalflux posted:

We're holding off on an espresso machine until we IPO. Then it's time for a La Marzocco GS3

Do you plan to preinfuse often? Why not just get a linea mini and have a prettier machine and four figs to spend elsewhere?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Adobe licensing. My supervisor repeatly tells me the users manage their own licenses. The users never have it. They think new laptops for WFH have it by default and I gotta break the bad news. They think I can restore software after a crash when no one kept the records. gently caress

Your supervisor is a moron.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

JohnCompany posted:

Do you plan to preinfuse often? Why not just get a linea mini and have a prettier machine and four figs to spend elsewhere?

Manual preinfusion speaks to our inner coffee nerds, esp since they had manual paddles at the cafes when she worked bar. I haven't asked about the Linea Mini - she's the one specifying a GS3 as the minimum if we get an espresso machine.

edit: i checked with her about a linea and her response was , "uh, duh, we need manual preinfusion control. we're not animals in this household!"

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 21, 2020

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

luminalflux posted:

At $Job-1 those guys had an office down the corridor from ours and they kitted out all the kitchens

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Dick Trauma posted:

The months long $250,000 AV project that I was not involved in is slowly coming to an end. I've been asking for documentation for two months, and what I just received is amateurish, sloppy, and written by someone who is obviously not fluent in English. It is a cornucopia of bad grammar, spelling mistakes, and bizarre formatting. (Ex: "Windows" is spelled "windos" over and over again.) I am not looking forward to having to teach people how to use this cumbersome, stupid beast of a system.

Oh man we've just put in a whole new boardroom setup with meeting tools and a huge touchscreen and stuff and there'll be no documentation. We were told 'go along and have a play with the gear and if you have any questions make sure you come and ask the vendor at this meeting', and then a passive-aggressive 'well, if you haven't got any questions by now we assume you all know how to use it!'

They also went with the cheapest wholesaler instead of a dedicated AV installer and were surprised that they weren't interested in providing frontline support for the gear.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

The months long $250,000 AV project that I was not involved in is slowly coming to an end. I've been asking for documentation for two months, and what I just received is amateurish, sloppy, and written by someone who is obviously not fluent in English. It is a cornucopia of bad grammar, spelling mistakes, and bizarre formatting. (Ex: "Windows" is spelled "windos" over and over again.) I am not looking forward to having to teach people how to use this cumbersome, stupid beast of a system.

xiw posted:

Oh man we've just put in a whole new boardroom setup with meeting tools and a huge touchscreen and stuff and there'll be no documentation. We were told 'go along and have a play with the gear and if you have any questions make sure you come and ask the vendor at this meeting', and then a passive-aggressive 'well, if you haven't got any questions by now we assume you all know how to use it!'

They also went with the cheapest wholesaler instead of a dedicated AV installer and were surprised that they weren't interested in providing frontline support for the gear.

The trick is to stop caring so much about work.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Coffee break chat:

Coffee.. machine??? :confused:

Get your own green beans, roast them, put them into a French press in the morning or cold brew them all night in the fridge.

For espresso, yeah, a good machine is amazing.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I have a $30 Mr Coffee and the cheapest burr hand grinder I could find. You don't need to spend a ton of time or money on coffee stuff as the most important part is high quality beans that are freshly ground.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I don’t drink coffee because I’m a better person than you :smug:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
"I don't even OWN a television!"
:goonsay:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Yes, but you are aware that there is an invention called television, and on this invention they show shows, right?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I handcraft my own Nipkow disks. :smug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

deedee megadoodoo posted:

I have a $30 Mr Coffee and the cheapest burr hand grinder I could find. You don't need to spend a ton of time or money on coffee stuff as the most important part is high quality beans that are freshly ground.

A French press and a cheap coffee grinder are less than $50. :smug:

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

DoomTrainPhD posted:

A French press and a cheap coffee grinder are less than $50. :smug:

So this thread has started me down the rabbit hole. New grinder on order. Getting a better scale. I pulled an old French press out of the closet and I am enjoying 500 ml of coffee made with Hoffman's technique.

But that is as far as this goes, right? Or do I wake up the morning after a coffee binge, holding a Chemex I was using to chug espresso shots, with grounds all down the front of my shirt?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

SubjectVerbObject posted:

So this thread has started me down the rabbit hole. New grinder on order. Getting a better scale. I pulled an old French press out of the closet and I am enjoying 500 ml of coffee made with Hoffman's technique.

But that is as far as this goes, right? Or do I wake up the morning after a coffee binge, holding a Chemex I was using to chug espresso shots, with grounds all down the front of my shirt?

This is gonna make me buy a grinder and maybe a kettle for getting proper hot water for my French press.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Irritated Goat posted:

This is gonna make me buy a grinder and maybe a kettle for getting proper hot water for my French press.

Gooseneck kettle was a gamechanger for my pourovers.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It's so annoying when you have an IM/chat going with someone then they start asking you questions in email

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The only other thing you should do is roast your own coffee. But that only requires a frying pan (or air-popper) and green coffee beans. You can pick up a 3lb bag for $~20 on Amazon.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I'd love to join coffeechat but all I have is a crippling energy drink addiction.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Biowarfare posted:

I'd love to join coffeechat but all I have is a crippling energy drink addiction.

not empty quoting

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Well, you could always get goonier about it.

by which I mean there's a goon coffee roaster that's decently popular; I ordered a few bags recently to try it out after a banner ad. here

I'm pretty lax about my coffee habits. Mason jar cold brew; decaf mostly these days because its a bad idea to do it with full caf. Strain when I want to drink, or after a day/overnight and store.

Here's a question tho. Does anyone else besides me switch over to tea and waffle between tea/coffee when getting sick of one or the other?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I just drink whatever poo poo coffee I can get at McDonalds, Burger King, or Speedway, in that order. I'm barely awake so I don't give a gently caress.

If I'm running late I use the vending machine at work that gives you a cup with a poker hand on it, like in Terminator 2.

And if it's a Friday I'll stop somewhere nice to get an Americano and a little snack.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I am SO loving TIRED of having to prove that it’s crappy code/sql queries/app architecture and not the infrastructure.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Biowarfare posted:

Coffee is an energy drink! :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

devmd01 posted:

I am SO loving TIRED of having to prove that it’s crappy code/sql queries/app architecture and not the infrastructure.

Maybe your infrastructure should suck less so I can do a 15-table join and then just foreach the terabyte result set in code instead of using LIMIT