Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Obviously Steve went to the other universe where there was no longer a Thanos or a snap, so Tony had time to fix time travel for real and gave it to Steve to use back in his own universe.

I'll take a No Prize whenever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IUG posted:

Obviously Steve went to the other universe where there was no longer a Thanos or a snap, so Tony had time to fix time travel for real and gave it to Steve to use back in his own universe.

I'll take a No Prize whenever.

"He returned the Time Stone to the Ancient One who mentions that he is not Of This Time and she can use the Time Stone to return him to his natural timeline now that he's done. Steve asks if it has to be at the same time he left."

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Endgame's time travel was ehhh but it was cool to go back to the Battle of New York and see everything there from other points of view, and the realization that 'oh wait, three Infinity Stones are here at the same time what' was accidentally brilliant.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vandar posted:

Endgame's time travel was ehhh but it was cool to go back to the Battle of New York and see everything there from other points of view, and the realization that 'oh wait, three Infinity Stones are here at the same time what' was accidentally brilliant.

On the other hand they ignored the second Infinity Stone that was on Asgard during their visit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Time travel can't exist because time doesn't exist it's just a limitation of how we view things.

I time travel at 1 second per second all the time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I exist at all times at once, thus I am experiencing every bad post you have made, and every bad post you will make simultaneously

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

I exist at all times at once, thus I am experiencing every bad post you have made, and every bad post you will make simultaneously

My posts are perfect and handcrafted just for you.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

And you haven't been driven mad?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

site posted:

It’s November 21st. I’m reading shitposts.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TwoPair posted:

And you haven't been driven mad?

Why do you think I moved to Mars

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

Why do you think I moved to Mars

Elon Musk will not let Mars remain free of shitposts.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Retro Futurist posted:

It’s November 21st. I’m reading shitposts.
I'm watching my father throw this playboy mags off the Bannister. They tumble in the air.

I am sitting at the computer for the first time as a teenager.

I am submitting my final shitpost on the eve of 2065.

I lol.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

FilthyImp posted:

I'm watching my father throw this playboy mags off the Bannister. They tumble in the air.

I am sitting at the computer for the first time as a teenager.

I am submitting my final shitpost on the eve of 2065.

I lol.

Mods make a note to perma FilthyImp on January 1st, 2066.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Killing Batman sounds like the thing that would make a huge portion of their fanbase really upset. Like those guys who sat behind me at Batman V Superman who were super excited to see Batman beat up Superman because "Superman is boring and sucks".

Which is annoying because seeing Batman fail at something (keeping himself alive) would be nice to see. The Infallible perfect Batman which so many fans want to see all of the time is really boring. It was fine in the 60s show because of course Batman never goes anywhere without his anti-crashing plane spray, because its silly, but when its in more serious stuff, it's lazy and takes the stakes away. I'm a little worried about The Batman for this, but we'll see when ever it comes out.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Killing Batman sounds like the thing that would make a huge portion of their fanbase really upset. Like those guys who sat behind me at Batman V Superman who were super excited to see Batman beat up Superman because "Superman is boring and sucks".

Which is annoying because seeing Batman fail at something (keeping himself alive) would be nice to see. The Infallible perfect Batman which so many fans want to see all of the time is really boring. It was fine in the 60s show because of course Batman never goes anywhere without his anti-crashing plane spray, because its silly, but when its in more serious stuff, it's lazy and takes the stakes away. I'm a little worried about The Batman for this, but we'll see when ever it comes out.

I mean, BvS was pretty liberal about dunking on Batman. Like yeah he's cool and all but he's also clearly an unhinged pillpopping psychotic until Superman finally gets through to him. Not exactly a role model.

The Batman will probably have him getting his rear end kicked too since it's set early on in his career

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

twistedmentat posted:

Killing Batman sounds like the thing that would make a huge portion of their fanbase really upset.
If he goes out killing the literal embodiment of evil and totalitarian control it might make up for it.

Some real metal-as-gently caress van-art poo poo where man defies god.

How Wonderful! posted:

Mods make a note to perma FilthyImp on January 1st, 2066.
Lol if I get perma'd when I'm 83 it'll likely kill me. What a way to go.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If Batman dies shooting Darkseid with a god bullet then "dies" I'm guessing they had some plans for the character afterwards seeing as they would have pulled his death beat for beat from a series where his death specifically wasn't really death and he came back just fine eight months later.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

FilthyImp posted:

If he goes out killing the literal embodiment of evil and totalitarian control it might make up for it.

Some real metal-as-gently caress van-art poo poo where man defies god.

Lol if I get perma'd when I'm 83 it'll likely kill me. What a way to go.

All those posts will be lost in time, like mangosteen in rain. Time to die.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Won't some fans be annoyed with Darkseid dying?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Fangz posted:

Again, if he's literally dying in the exact same manner as final crisis then no, because everyone knows it doesn't stick.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

McCloud posted:

I mean, BvS was pretty liberal about dunking on Batman. Like yeah he's cool and all but he's also clearly an unhinged pillpopping psychotic until Superman finally gets through to him. Not exactly a role model.

The Batman will probably have him getting his rear end kicked too since it's set early on in his career

I didn't get that, I got Batman is such a badass and perfect being a broken down old man won't stop him from kicking Superman rear end.

I also thought of a perfect character for HJB to play in Deadpool 3,the Beyonder. He can be like The Master from Venture Bros and is how Wade travels to the MCU.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

ImpAtom posted:

Back to the Future's Time Travel rules amount to 'lol, whatever' and require you to accept the absurdly creepy idea that Marty McFly erased and replaced a version of himself from existence

Eric Stoltz?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Fangz posted:

He's a god, death means even less to him than it does to the average comic character.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

FilthyImp posted:

So in the Snyder JL plan, The JL faces off against Steppenwulf and is overpowered at the last minute by a giant explosion that kills everyone. Flash does the 'run faster than ever' thing to shoot back in time and prevent the disaster, saving everyone and vanquishing Stepp.

Knowing that Darkseid is out there, JL2 picks up with Bats proposing a Unilateral Preemptive Strike against Darkseid, which proves a disaster. The League is stuck off world while Darkseid attacks earth.

They return to find a transformed Knightmare Earth. Billions are dead. Lois Lane among them, causing Superman to fall to Anti-Life. Darkseid extracts the Codex from his body, spreading Anti-Life across the cosmos.
Flash, Batman, and the remains of Cyborg travel back to JL-time to issue a warning about the failed attack, but Flash is caught between time and torn apart.

The past league remain on Earth, fending off Darkseid. Batman sacrifices himself to (protect Lois, I think) and (destroys Darkseid with a God Killer bullet?).

Batman is mourned as a hero.

You know reading this makes the Justice League sound incompetent.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It sounds pretty plainly like The Batman Who Dies is the future Batman, not modern Batman.

Lt. Danger posted:

Eric Stoltz?

Allow me to present my 10 point list of why this fan theory is 100% supported by the movies and tie-in media.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

David D. Davidson posted:

Yeah, though I think in practice it was supposed to be more like they were overconfident/outclassed and needed a huge hail Mary to save it, with Lois at the center of it all.

I reread some finer points and
Flash's time-travel save at the end of JL is supposed to foreshadow how Cyborg, Batman and Flash work on building the Cosmic Threadmill in the ruined Knightmare future of JL3. Flash was able to get lucky and jump to right before Steppenwulf defeats the league, but the jump they plan requires more calculation since Snyder makes it so there's only two windows where Flash wouldn't pop into the middle of the earth/space.

Batman and Superman have a falling out when Bruce's plan to place Lois in the Batcave fails and Darkseid kills her, leading to Clark's fall.

This would be what Flash prevents in JL3, leading to Batman sacrificing himself to save Lois.

ImpAtom posted:

It sounds pretty plainly like
Nah, since Flash is the only one able to travel on the treadmill. it's basically a long-winded way for Bruce's personal growth.

BvS is him coming to terms with being wrong and that Superman can represent something better and something worth fighting for.

JL is him gathering everyone and learning to rely on them/trusting.

JL2 is the low-point where his plans fail and he's left to sift through the wreckage because he forced a confrontation they weren't ready for.

and JL3 is learning to sacrifice for the future/for someone else's benefit, I guess.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 23, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, though I think in practice it was supposed to be more like they were overconfident/outclassed and needed a huge hail Mary to save it, with Lois at the center of it all.

I reread some finer points and
Flash's time-travel save at the end of JL is supposed to foreshadow how Cyborg, Batman and Flash work on building the Cosmic Threadmill in the ruined Knightmare future of JL3. Flash was able to get lucky and jump to right before Steppenwulf defeats the league, but the jump they plan requires more calculation since Snyder makes it so there's only two windows where Flash wouldn't pop into the middle of the earth/space.

Batman and Superman have a falling out when Bruce's plan to place Lois in the Batcave fails and Darkseid kills her, leading to Clark's fall.

This would be what Flash prevents in JL3, leading to Batman sacrificing himself to save Lois.

Nah, since Flash is the only one able to travel on the treadmill. it's basically a long-winded way for Bruce's personal growth.

BvS is him coming to terms with being wrong and that Superman can represent something better and something worth fighting for.

JL is him gathering everyone and learning to rely on them/trusting.

JL2 is the low-point where his plans fail and he's left to sift through the wreckage because he forced a confrontation they weren't ready for.

and JL3 is learning to sacrifice for the future/for someone else's benefit, I guess.

But the summary specifically says "Flash, Batman, and the remains of Cyborg travel back to JL-time to issue a warning about the failed attack, but Flash is caught between time and torn apart."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I hosed that part up in summary. The characters work on the problem but only one of them is able to time-travel.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
That whole summary sounds not very good but I gotta admit it also sounds so batshit that I'd probably pay to see it.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I didn't get that, I got Batman is such a badass and perfect being a broken down old man won't stop him from kicking Superman rear end.

I also thought of a perfect character for HJB to play in Deadpool 3,the Beyonder. He can be like The Master from Venture Bros and is how Wade travels to the MCU.

He's consistently portrayed as someone who's lost his way and just kind of given up on things. Alfred calls him out on that and how extreme he's gotten, the human trafficking victims he saved are all scared shitless of him, the people of Gotham are all saying he's lost his god drat mind, he literally quotes Dick Cheney, and he's using an otherworldly spear to make the Messiah bleed (a reference to Longinus, who was blind, and was cured by the blood of jesus) it literally ends with him saying he was a dumbass and he needs to make amends for what he did.

And that's putting aside the on the nose visual allegories of how Wayne Manor is decaying, how he's multiple times showed to be lost in overgrown fields and only finds his way out in the end at Clark's funeral, and how in his dreams he's consumed by a batdemon spawned by his parents grave

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Longinus just has a regular spear.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Longinus just has a regular spear.

Um I saw Eva and it is very clearly giant robot-sized and forked.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I think the text is pretty clear even in the theatrical cut of Batman vs Superman that Batman is the villain of the piece. Yes, Luthor is manipulating him, but it only works because it's what he wants.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think the problem with BVS is that the only person who seems both competent and likable is Diana (which is probably a testament to the small amount of screen time she has more than anything else) so even though Batman is acting like a crazy paranoid dickweed, Superman is all looming dour looks and angry heat vision eyes making it hard to give a hoot about either one of them being in the right from a plot perspective

David D. Davidson posted:

Superheroes? Incompetent?? In a Zack Snyder Movie???

Obvious jokes aside, this premise sounds like another case of one of Man of Steel's problems where they take for granted that we're supposed to give a poo poo about what's happening because it involves nearly 100 year old licensed characters instead of actually doing any work to make people give a poo poo in the context of the actual movie

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ah yes, the "Superman should smile more" argument.

Part of the point of BvS is that both their beefs have some merit. Batman may be a lunatic but the fear of Superman going nuts isn't exactly entirely crazy, and part of the looming shots of Superman are used to convey just how otherworldly and scary Superman can look to people.

Supermans pov is that this Bat vigilante is getting people severely hurt and killed and no one cares because the people being hurt are "criminals", hell the police even cover for him.

Obviously one of these two is in the right and one is in the wrong, I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure out which is which.

Hint: the one paraphrasing Cheney is the latter

McCloud fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 23, 2020

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Superman should smile more, and making the fears about his otherness having any merit betrays a complete lack of understanding of the character, and despite thinking Snyder's movies are mostly okay, is the one part I will never, ever even attempt to defend about them. I get that all interpretations of these characters are valid, but "creepy, cold, alien Superman" makes me actually angry.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Superman should always sport the biggest, creepiest smile when he is fighting bad guys. And never blink, ever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

McCloud posted:

the fear of Superman going nuts isn't exactly entirely crazy

Yes it is.

Unless you're Zack Snyder and do not understand Superman.

Superman, an alien, is the best of us. That's his character. The rest is superfluous, even the powers.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Believe it or not, the way you frame a character's actions in a movie affects how the audience sees that character!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
It's not "Superman should smile more" it's "Superman shouldn't look like he can barely stand performing even the most minor acts of heroism"

It does not help that the theatrical cut removed all content that even slightly humanized him and showed his motivations in the movie, leaving him not only looking miserable and unheroic, but also over the top belligerent for no reason at all. He's the villain of the theatrical cut despite Batman being borderline unhinged.