Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
My Santa got me a Table Saw (Some assembly required)!

The LEGO King designed my saw that I got almost exactly a year ago :)

Thanks Carbohydrates!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JEEVES420 posted:

Thanks Carbohydrates!

Thats adorable. Does it work?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

JEEVES420 posted:

Thanks Carbohydrates!
Yaaay, I'm glad you like it! It was a super fun model to design. I hope you don't mind, but I test-assembled it and took a little glamor shot before I sent it your way:

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

For half a second, I thought a goon had bought another goon a full on table saw and was like "well poo poo, I didn't know the stakes were this high"

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Carbohydrates posted:

Yaaay, I'm glad you like it! It was a super fun model to design. I hope you don't mind, but I test-assembled it and took a little glamor shot before I sent it your way:

That looks like a render, what does your light box setup look like?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

JEEVES420 posted:

That looks like a render, what does your light box setup look like?
I don't actually use a light box! It's sitting on a piece of glass suspended in front of some posterboard. I have a big C-stand fluorescent light with reflectors pointed at the ceiling, and then I hold my cell phone flashlight in my left hand because I don't have a proper secondary light source right now. It's honestly pretty janky because I didn't want to spend more than a few bucks on my photography setup. I got the glass for $6 and already had the studio light from an old commercial project.

This setup:

Produces this photo (completely unedited except for crop/resize):

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

JEEVES420 posted:

Thanks Carbohydrates!

This is amazing!!!!!

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
That's pretty drat cool, and your "light box" setup is very effective.

Now don't mind me while I sulk in the corner because the gift I just sent out was no where near that cool.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

immoral_ posted:

That's pretty drat cool, and your "light box" setup is very effective.

Now don't mind me while I sulk in the corner because the gift I just sent out was no where near that cool.

Please don’t, whoever gets your gift will be happy. Comparison is the thief of joy.

Agree on the light box. If you ever want a black or similar reflective surface, you can also get a polished stone tile from home despot; they work great.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Oh, no, while I wish I'd done a better job on my gift, I'm not really comparing myself to someone with some actual talent.

I was just making a joke.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

immoral_ posted:

Oh, no, while I wish I'd done a better job on my gift, I'm not really comparing myself to someone with some actual talent.

Lol just stop negging yourself tho!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

immoral_ posted:

:same: :unsmith:

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
I've been gifted!!!

afewbricksshy, I have no idea how you did it, but this is absolutely stunning and I love it! Thank you so much - you're incredibly talented.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Oh dang, that looks really nice!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sehkmet posted:

I've been gifted!!!

afewbricksshy, I have no idea how you did it, but this is absolutely stunning and I love it! Thank you so much - you're incredibly talented.

that's a lot of finicky cuts. good job afewbricksshy

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Woah, beautiful! The tones chosen do an amazing job at conveying depth. Love that.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sehkmet posted:

I've been gifted!!!

:eyepop:
Ever since I started woodworking I can see the code of wooden things, like reading the matrix. This is very impressive!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Sehkmet posted:

I've been gifted!!!

I'm glad you like it, sorry about forgetting to put in a note.
That's cherry, purpleheart and birch in there. Don't put it in a dishwasher or anything and if it gets dull you can find butcher block oil/wax at the depot, look by where they have the wood stains.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

:kstare: that is absolutely beautiful

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
That is awesome.

:ohdearsass:

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm glad you like it, sorry about forgetting to put in a note.
That's cherry, purpleheart and birch in there. Don't put it in a dishwasher or anything and if it gets dull you can find butcher block oil/wax at the depot, look by where they have the wood stains.

Oh yeah, wouldn't dream of putting it in the dishwasher.

Thanks for the tip about the oil/wax, and again thank you!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
For what it's worth, I for one am of the opinion that anyone who's received their package should go on and open it already. I know the one I sent has arrived and I don't wanna wait a frickin' month for the recipient to post about it! :v:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

For what it's worth, I for one am of the opinion that anyone who's received their package should go on and open it already. I know the one I sent has arrived and I don't wanna wait a frickin' month for the recipient to post about it! :v:
Yeah I anticipated this issue. My package had "do not open until xmas NOW" written on the outside!

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I'd be all for it, I was just told by my family that I had to wait.

So to the goon that sent me a gift, I hope you can stomach the anticipation.

My giftee is certainly allowed to open the box, but I'd understand schadenfreude if you decide to wait.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

And it's off!

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

That's what I get for not checking my mailbox regularly!

Somehow you guessed that my existing spice rack was already overflowing

I also get now why you weren't responding to my comments about this in the discord lol.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

That's what I get for not checking my mailbox regularly!

Somehow you guessed that my existing spice rack was already overflowing

I also get now why you weren't responding to my comments about this in the discord lol.

Oh, yay! Now I get to share my making of photos.

I hope you like it! And yeah, part of the reason I made this was because my own spice cabinet was overflowing. After I made your gift I went and added an entire extra shelf to the cabinet :v:

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Oh, yay! Now I get to share my making of photos.

I hope you like it! And yeah, part of the reason I made this was because my own spice cabinet was overflowing. After I made your gift I went and added an entire extra shelf to the cabinet :v:

Oh hell yeah that's rad that you made it from stock older than me. It fits my collect-old-poo poo theme perfectly.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I just realised I hadnt posted but I'm happy to get anything tbh.

My Santee's present is out getting some finishing stuff that I specifically am not set up to do yet, so should be shipping next weekend once it's all finished :D

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The thing I'm making isn't going to be ready in time, so I've ordered some interim things for my Santee from Amazon. For some reason it says it won't arrive until late Jan despite all being within the US? Sorry about that.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Mine appears to have made it to one state over from its destination so hopefully not too much longer.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

tuo posted:

everything prepared, and then UPS tells you you need a clearance from the local health department (which is basically impossible to get for non-business stuff, and especially not during corona) to send food to where my package should have gone...

I'm so loving sad at the moment :negative:

Need to think fast what to do now...

TUO you must bee my Santa!!!!

Today we received a treasure box of BEESWAX candles and christmas tree ornaments. My kids are going to scream with excitement. This printed guide is funny and interesting and cool, too.
The honey and cookies that they wouldn't let you ship look amazing. Next time <3

Thank you, Santa. It's going to bee a great Christmas!

ps. The chest has MORE wax and clay ornaments inside!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 30, 2020

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Really really glad you like it :) After the dissapointment about not beeing allowed to ship food, I nearly got a second heart attack when even the new package was held in customs for a week with the info "needs approval for import from an agency that is not customs" and I thought "oh noooo, maybe they also don't allow beeswax to be imported" and I checked that tracking number three times a day and the status didn't change. Sooo glad it arrived, is in good shape, and you like it! :)

Have a nice holiday!

e: out of interest, what does the red label they put on the box say? "hazardous materials inside"? ;)

ee: rest assured my father gobbled up those cookies like the cookie monster

tuo fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 30, 2020

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

peanut posted:

TUO you must bee my Santa!!!!

Today we received a treasure box of BEESWAX candles and christmas tree ornaments. My kids are going to scream with excitement. This printed guide is funny and interesting and cool, too.
The honey and cookies that they wouldn't let you ship look amazing. Next time <3

Thank you, Santa. It's going to bee a great Christmas!

ps. The chest has MORE wax and clay ornaments inside!!

Wow, all of this is absolutely adorable. I love it.

pantX0r
Jan 7, 2004
hey, back again!

PainterofCrap posted:

And it's off!

And received! (yeah, I did open it, but only to see if there were any snacks, which there were!)

I'm still finishing my gift. One part will definitely be done by Friday but there's another (the shipping container) that I'm trying to get the smell out of, and if I can't get get the funk out by Saturday, I'm shipping the main part in a regular box.

Edit: I should point out i haven't opened the WRAPPED gift, just the box.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

I am in the homestretch with my gift, praying to the eldrich crafting gods that USPS doesn't screw me over this time when I go to mail it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Somehow I thought the ship-by date was the 14th, not the 4th :v:

Thing should be ready by then, there's only one more part in the mail I kinda had to order a bit late when something else didn't work out, it gets here Wednesday. I might not have time to paint it, but the prototype looks pretty good without paint so I hope [REDACTED] doesn't mind.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Just realized, whoever gets my gift will hopefully have a garden, or maybe this will be incentive to get one!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RickRogers posted:

Just realized, whoever gets my gift will hopefully have a garden, or maybe this will be incentive to get one!

Maybe you should send a garden too? Just in case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Rutibex posted:

Maybe you should send a garden too? Just in case

On it *gets out spade*