Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Cheesus posted:

In a "blink and you'll miss it" moment, Favreau also mentioned they'd just finished up "writing on that other show we're working on".

Comptono of Adventure: The Wilrow Hood Chronicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is my favorite piece in the sequels. It’s literally every theme new and old clashing together. I love it. I remember getting super pumped when the trench run theme kicked in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIIvAoHIsPQ

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CelticPredator posted:

I think Mike had like 2 months to create the score.

He did and it suffered as a result. Rogue One was a production mess with all the reshoots and the composer dropping the project.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah. It’s a lovely situation. I don’t hate the rogue one score but it’s no ones best work.

I’m glad the Star Wars every year thing died.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Even after working with the Star Wars IP professionally for a while

Ooh, details please?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
TLJ’s soundtrack is so drat good. I love Rose’s theme and The Spark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGBCZOaajys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHb9T6WvvW0

None of the ST soundtracks are peak Williams and that’s to be expected given his age, but there’s still a whole lot to love in them because he’s still John loving Williams. :allears:

I used to hate Rogue One’s soundtrack, but it’s grown on me considerably in the last few years. Solo is easily my least favorite Disney-era soundtrack, with a few exceptions.

CelticPredator posted:

Bob Iger should never be allowed to touch Star Wars ever again. It’s bullshit that Kathleen Kennedy, a woman who absolutely knows her poo poo and had already produced countless other beloved movies and franchises, has become the internet’s boogeyman over the ST because a lot of its issues can be traced back to Iger decisions.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 23, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CelticPredator posted:

favreau seems to manage

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The Clone Wars isn't half bad. This episode where the Jedi Commander was being reckless using Clones in human wave attacks was pretty good till he went full cartoon villain (I know it's a children's cartoon so whatevs). And this "hey let's do john woo face/off" two parter is shaping up to be fun.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Michael Giacchino owns and he did a great job on Rogue One, especially considering the time limitations and the fact that it was the first Star Wars not to use John Williams (Clone Wars doesn't count because it was still reused Williams). I didn't care for it much until I gave a few listens a couple years back and it grew on me a lot. Confrontation on Eadu, Your Father Would Be Proud, and the Jyn Erso & Hope Suite are all really well done and thematically perfect.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Bob Iger should never be allowed to touch Star Wars ever again. It’s bullshit that Kathleen Kennedy, a woman who absolutely knows her poo poo and had already produced countless other beloved movies and franchises, has become the internet’s boogeyman over the ST because a lot of its issues can be traced back to Iger decisions.

Isn’t a producer like Kennedy just basically a money-man and not involved in the nuts and bolts of the filmmaking process? Depending on who you ask or where you look, the executive producer is someone who could be on set all day every day or someone who barely checks in on the production, and no one ever explains what roles or ideas she brings to the project, they just say “she’s bad and racist” or “she’s the only reason these were remotely salvageable, she’s a saint!” but without any, like, quantifiable examples.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Isn’t a producer like Kennedy just basically a money-man and not involved in the nuts and bolts of the filmmaking process? Depending on who you ask or where you look, the executive producer is someone who could be on set all day every day or someone who barely checks in on the production, and no one ever explains what roles or ideas she brings to the project, they just say “she’s bad and racist” or “she’s the only reason these were remotely salvageable, she’s a saint!” but without any, like, quantifiable examples.

"Producer" can mean anything when it comes to film and tv production. Executive producer generally means only writing checks, producer generally means you were the one asking other people for money and doing the hiring of the director, writer, composer, casting agents, etc. They can take more on an micromanage or let someone else (director probably) do everything if they want since they're in charge.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Most career VAs don't do non-voice acting, look at legends like Tress MacNeille, Frank Welker, Maurice LaMarche, Billy West, John DiMaggio.

It's a shame though, would have been awesome to see her follow Katee Sackhoff from animation to live action, she loves the character

Aren't most voice actors also actors though? Like I know I've seen Matt Mercer's headshots and most try to break in/are trained as professional actors often enough.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Kennedy was definitely doing more than writing checks, at least the way Disney framed it she was essentially the supervisor of all things Star Wars, basically think Eiji Aonuma for Zelda: not a director or a writer, but somebody who provides an overall vision and direction for the franchise and acts as a high level gate keeper for projects brought to them.

That said it is very clear that even if she was supposed to nominally be in charge that there was a LOT of executive meddling from people who went over her head because they'd just dropped a fat $4 billion on the franchise and wanted to justify that to investors ASAP. It is obvious enough that I think if Favreau had been in the spot from the start and we got the same or similar ST mess the internet would in general be a lot more forgiving because he's not a politically outspoken women: the greatest threat imaginable to internet turbonerds.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I mean, yeah. It was mostly a rhetorical question born from frustration. Even after working with the Star Wars IP professionally for a while it still aggravates me how many balls are dropped. Maybe they'll get around to making a SW space truckers show like I really want some day.

What if instead we have Star Wars: Pawn Stars

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sydin posted:

Kennedy was definitely doing more than writing checks, at least the way Disney framed it she was essentially the supervisor of all things Star Wars, basically think Eiji Aonuma for Zelda: not a director or a writer, but somebody who provides an overall vision and direction for the franchise and acts as a high level gate keeper for projects brought to them.

That said it is very clear that even if she was supposed to nominally be in charge that there was a LOT of executive meddling from people who went over her head because they'd just dropped a fat $4 billion on the franchise and wanted to justify that to investors ASAP. It is obvious enough that I think if Favreau had been in the spot from the start and we got the same or similar ST mess the internet would in general be a lot more forgiving because he's not a politically outspoken women: the greatest threat imaginable to internet turbonerds.

Somebody make "The Gerudo" about a non Ganondorf Gerudo who finds a baby with the triforce symbol on their hand

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Bust Rodd posted:

Same with the "DISNEY RUINED STAR WARS" people. As though Disney literally put a guy in a Mickey suit behind a camera and said "go" while cackling evilly, instead of just bankrolling Lucasfilm as they made some bad movies due to a litany of factors.

It's easier for dumb people to blame singular entities for perceived slights. Hence, "Kathleen and Disney and SJWs ruined Star Wars."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

Rian Johnson and JJ Abrams hate each other

I don't think Johnson has any beef with Abrams at all. He picked up the ending of TFA and made interesting, thoughtful, and meaningful character decisions to challenge all the various characters old and new....and the Abrams ran screaming back to the safe embrace of nostalgia. No idea what Abrams personal feelings toward Johnson are, but they clearly had very different ideas about the point of the ST

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The Rian/JJ beef is another thing invented wholesale by the “Kathleen Kennedy FIRED?!?” YouTube crowd.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I mean, I'm just going off the evidence on the screen where each sequel does a hard turn from where the previous was going and its funny to attribute that directly to the director.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Rian/JJ beef is another thing invented wholesale by the “Kathleen Kennedy FIRED?!?” YouTube crowd.

Yeah imo it's pretty clear RoS taking a poo poo on TLJ and running back to the safety and security of the OT was less JJ having it out for Rian and more that Disney freaked out over the divisive reaction to TLJ and wanted a safe, formulaic movie that would make money without making waves. Hell by all accounts even after Abrams agreed to return Disney execs were going over his head to make loads of changes, to the point that there was still work being done on the movie the week before it hit theaters.

hobbesmaster posted:

I mean, I'm just going off the evidence on the screen where each sequel does a hard turn from where the previous was going and its funny to attribute that directly to the director.

As somebody who didn't particularly care for TLJ, I didn't really get any sense of animosity for Abrams or Star Wars from Rian like a lot of CHUD's like to claim. It came off more that Rian didn't want to make "yet another Star Wars movie" like JJ did with TFA, so he decided to completely change the paradigm and set up a series that could go in a different direction than "not-Luke is trained by not-Yoda to fight not-Palpatine and redeem not-Darth Vader." I think the result is a mixed bag but hey kudos for actually trying to drag people kicking and screaming away from the same poo poo over and over.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Dave Syndrome posted:

Ooh, details please?

I worked on FFG's Star Wars RPG from 2011 (pre-release) until a year or two ago. I was the "ships and vehicles" guy and specialized in ships, speeders, guns, and gear. I worked on all three lines, nearly every book, and the three prequel/Clone Wars expansions. If you have a favorite spaceship, gun, droid, or piece of kit in that game, chances are I wrote it.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

What if instead we have Star Wars: Pawn Stars

No lie, I'd watch the poo poo outta that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

Except TLJ took the baton from TFA and ran with it without any weird walk backs or "well, actually"s

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Hazo posted:

Same with the "DISNEY RUINED STAR WARS" people. As though Disney literally put a guy in a Mickey suit behind a camera and said "go" while cackling evilly, instead of just bankrolling Lucasfilm as they made some bad movies due to a litany of factors.

It's easier for dumb people to blame singular entities for perceived slights. Hence, "Kathleen and Disney and SJWs ruined Star Wars."

One of these things is not like the others

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

AdmiralViscen posted:

One of these things is not like the others

(NOTE: this is what fuckboys actually believe)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

jivjov posted:

Except TLJ took the baton from TFA and ran with it without any weird walk backs or "well, actually"s

Even the walkbacks in 9 aren’t necessarily Abrams’s fault per se, the tight production, the hate for TLJ, and whatever issues there were with Treverrow all added up to something bad. I’d suggest Abrams had his hands tied.

I’ve never wanted an in-depth behind the scenes of a production more than the Disney Star Wars films. I think literally only TFA wasn’t beset by issues of some sort.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Aren't most voice actors also actors though? Like I know I've seen Matt Mercer's headshots and most try to break in/are trained as professional actors often enough.

They are, but voice acting is a totally different skill. Ashley Eckstein may be the voice of Ahsoka, but she also still looks nothing like Ahsoka. She looks so young that you'd need to add wrinkles to the makeup to get her to look the right age. Rosario Dawson physically very closely resembles Ahsoka in her 40s as her character was modeled.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

And John Williams writes decent music that gets wrecked in editing and bad suggestions from directors. Apparently the major key version of Kyle Ben's theme that was supposed to represent his heroic redemption was a JJA idea and Williams just said "okay, whatever."

It's a shame because TFA has a really good soundtrack of mostly new themes and TLJ is pretty similar (though it does rely on too many on the nose motif callbacks) but it's pretty amazing how even his music does not really work with episode 9.

On the opposite end of that stick, apparently Williams wanted to just reuse the ESB musical cue for Luke lifting the X-Wing out of the water in ROS and Abrams pointed out that that was Yoda’s theme and it made no sense to use Yoda’s theme in a scene where Yoda doesn’t appear. So it was JJ of all people who argued for thought and effort in this instance.

It kind of sounds like no one really got what they wanted out of Episode 9 on every level.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Even the walkbacks in 9 aren’t necessarily Abrams’s fault per se, the tight production, the hate for TLJ, and whatever issues there were with Treverrow all added up to something bad. I’d suggest Abrams had his hands tied.

I’ve never wanted an in-depth behind the scenes of a production more than the Disney Star Wars films. I think literally only TFA wasn’t beset by issues of some sort.

TFA had writing issues. Lucas’ script notes got thrown out right at the start and Disney brought Michael Arndt in to write a script, then fired him after he spent most of a year on it and had Abrams dash off a new one in a month or two so they could start making the movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

TLJ seems like it was a very smooth production by all accounts, the only issues were Rian and Mark Hamill initially disagreeing with Luke’s arc (though Hamill eventually got it and obviously gave us a wonderful performance) and Carrie dying, although iirc by the time the latter happened all principal photography had been completed and they were deep in editing/post.

You’d probably get the BTS stories you’re looking for if Lucasfilm was still in charge of their own films. JW Rinzler had basically uninterrupted access to Lucasfilm for his books until Disney decided they didn’t want anything that blunt and raw published anymore. He even had a TFA production book nearly completed when Disney pulled the plug. It’s an absolute shame.

The closest you’ll get to extensive BTS now are the Art Of books, but those aren’t even complete for their own movies due to leaving really spoilery stuff out.

The Director and The Jedi is also really loving good, but obviously that’s still a Disney production.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

skasion posted:

TFA had writing issues. Lucas’ script notes got thrown out right at the start and Disney brought Michael Arndt in to write a script, then fired him after he spent most of a year on it and had Abrams dash off a new one in a month or two so they could start making the movie.

And letting Abrams write anything is a recipe for disaster. He’s a brilliant visionary director, but a very sloppy hackneyed writer who sets poo poo up and has now follow through for any of it. The only thing worse would be letting the guy who wrote Batman v. Superman and Justice League write a Star Wars movie.

Wait.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I still can’t believe that poo poo.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
This was the only music from any of the recent films that stuck with me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65As1V0vQDM

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Captain Splendid posted:

Yeah, this is great, but I also love The Jedi Steps from TFA (even if it's short). Both actually felt like something new. March of the Resistance was pretty good, but didn't feel too original.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Captain Splendid posted:

It's also the best piece. TLJs score is the best of all three films, but I also really like the good guy Ben Solo version of Kylo Ren's theme. Just wish it were longer.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Imagine making a score for a movie series and then twenty years later they want you to come back and do it again. Then another twenty years after that they want you to do it a third time.

Irrespective of crunch or production fuckery I do not blame Williams at all for being completely done with Star Wars and that being evident in his composition come the time of the Sequels.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, this is great, but I also love The Jedi Steps from TFA (even if it's short). Both actually felt like something new. March of the Resistance was pretty good, but didn't feel too original.

March of the Resistance is just the Trade Federation March which is just the Nazi March from Last Crusade.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Hazo posted:

(NOTE: this is what fuckboys actually believe)

Do you seriously think that “Disney Corporation” and “SJWs” are comparable forces in the direction of movies produced by Disney Corporation

skasion posted:

Yea, like this

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nah TFA dot pushed from may to December which changed the trajectory of 3 other film release dates. TLJ is the only one with no major drama or upheaval

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hazo posted:

Michael Giacchino owns and he did a great job on Rogue One, especially considering the time limitations and the fact that it was the first Star Wars not to use John Williams (Clone Wars doesn't count because it was still reused Williams). I didn't care for it much until I gave a few listens a couple years back and it grew on me a lot. Confrontation on Eadu, Your Father Would Be Proud, and the Jyn Erso & Hope Suite are all really well done and thematically perfect.

I love the musical bit where the fighters start their dive towards the shield gate above... whatever planet that Imperial base was on.

Someone did a video on Youtube where they took the space combat bits and re-tracked the music and sound effects with OT excerpts. I honestly wasn't a huge fan of the way the OT music played in those shots, though I did love the sound effects (but then I feel like sci-fi sound effects have been getting punier for a long time, and not just in Star Wars either).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herostratus
May 1, 2013
Out of genuine curiosity, how come the original trilogy had none of these issues? At least tESB and RotJ must have faced executive meddling.