Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Get the Media Creation Tool, create a USB drive, then launch the setup from that one. That will update Windows to the latest version & get Windows Update working again, in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Lambert posted:

Get the Media Creation Tool, create a USB drive, then launch the setup from that one. That will update Windows to the latest version & get Windows Update working again, in my experience.

That would preserve all my stuff, right?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lambert posted:

Yep, this. Should leave all your programs intact, or at least the normal non-windows-store ones. Easier than Reset this PC, which removes everything installed in \Program Files.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Rinkles posted:

That would preserve all my stuff, right?

Yes, this leaves everything intact. It's just like an update through Windows Update.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Download the Media Creation Tool, make a bootable thumbdrive with it, and boot to it...

...but first, back up!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
For an upgrade, don't boot it - run it on your current installation. You can only do a clean installation when you boot from the USB drive.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Oh poo poo yeah I forgot that. Sorry Rinkles!

Also I somehow missed the new page lol.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Oh poo poo yeah I forgot that. Sorry Rinkles!

Also I somehow missed the new page lol.

After all these years the MOTHERFUCKING boot CD will not do this and it drives me loving insane. XP was the last version you could do it with.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Aw yeah, the good ol' "repair install." Well, at least it can still be done at all.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks for the update advice, only got around to it now cause I was sick and not in the mood for troubleshooting if anything went wrong.

Shouldn't these icons look different in 20H2?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

Thanks for the update advice, only got around to it now cause I was sick and not in the mood for troubleshooting if anything went wrong.

Shouldn't these icons look different in 20H2?

Run the MS Store ("Downloads and Updates" section) to update these apps. The ones included with 20H2 still have the old icons.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

Run the MS Store ("Downloads and Updates" section) to update these apps. The ones included with 20H2 still have the old icons.

weird, but thanks

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Is there a convenient site I can check that gives a heads up if there are bugs or big changes in windows updates? I try to keep up to date as much as possible but it would be nice to be able to pause updates if I'm in the middle of something and I know the next update has some issues or is gonna reset file associations or whatever.

Normally not a problem, but there have been occasional mornings where I show up to class or work and the first 15 minutes are spent unfucking something on my laptop.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I use askwoody.com, plus a grain of salt.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Assuming you have Pro, just delay the security updates by a (small) handful of days, and feature updates by a few months. Let other people beta-test them.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, don't run "security" or "optimization" software like cleaners, virus scanners and don't do weird "privacy" tweaks. Those all tend to cause issues.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

Thanks, this is neat. Though I can see what you mean, a lot of it isn't applicable to me.

Khablam posted:

Assuming you have Pro, just delay the security updates by a (small) handful of days, and feature updates by a few months. Let other people beta-test them.

Unfortunately no, but I'm thinking of getting it at some point.

Fame Douglas posted:

Also, don't run "security" or "optimization" software like cleaners, virus scanners and don't do weird "privacy" tweaks. Those all tend to cause issues.

Heck no, that's snake oil and registry edits are for people who actually know what they are doing :v: (that's not me)

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

Unfortunately no, but I'm thinking of getting it at some point.
It's about $5 on SAmart or eBay. The grey-market OEM codes being sold there are completely legal for an end user to run, and few to no-one has had any issues. Probably don't do this if your OS purchase is subject to an audit, but you're otherwise fine.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

doctorfrog posted:

Holy poo poo that’s still around? I bought some of Woody’s “Annoyances” books in the 90s.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

beefnoodle posted:

Holy poo poo that’s still around? I bought some of Woody’s “Annoyances” books in the 90s.

There's something comforting about it. You go into the forums and you see avs that are actual pictures of the old white guys posting.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So I had assumed that I had access to a student discount from my school when I built a new PC. It's looking like that will be more complicated than I expected and might take a while to sort out. I went ahead and installed Windows without a license in the meanwhile. If I activate it later, will Windows need to reinstall, or will it just accept it as registered and unlock the relevant features?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Flip Yr Wig posted:

So I had assumed that I had access to a student discount from my school when I built a new PC. It's looking like that will be more complicated than I expected and might take a while to sort out. I went ahead and installed Windows without a license in the meanwhile. If I activate it later, will Windows need to reinstall, or will it just accept it as registered and unlock the relevant features?

For activation, you just have to enter the key and you'll be done.

But what relevant features? If you mean the wallpaper being locked and similar, because it's unregistered, that's all you need to worry about. But if you're talking about Home vs. Pro you can switch over without activating. Just go into airplane mode and enter the generic key for Windows 10 Pro (VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T) under Start Menu > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Change the product key.

Changing version requires a reboot, but shouldn't disrupt anything.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Flip Yr Wig posted:

it will just accept it as registered and unlock the relevant features

this one

also the cheap win10 keys from the 2 goons resellers in SAmart are even cheaper than US educational discount afaik

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Thanks. I might go ahead and give those keys a shot.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
I didn't get any responses to this question in the other Windows thread. My apologies if everyone reading this thread also reads that thread, in which case I'm a dick for reposting.

pseudorandom posted:

I'm planning on building a new PC with a fresh, clean OS install, but, I don't have a real data migration strategy at the moment. I know Windows used to be pretty strict about hardware changes, but I think I heard it's more forgiving with Win 10. Would it be feasible for me to take the (2) hard drives from my existing PC, install them in my new build, and run them as a VM with the new PC as the host?

The extra twist is I was hoping to run this through KVM. I found a guide that suggested there were migration tools for VMWare/Hyper-V, but I don't know if there's any gotchas I should be aware of before attempting this.

Finally, while I'd prefer the VM method to keep physical space free, does anyone think there's enough potential for problems and/or damage that I should instead just leave the old PC somewhere and just remote desktop in if I need anything?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I'm confused. Why are you wanting to run something in a VM? Are you just wanting access to the files on your old PC?

mystes
May 31, 2006

pseudorandom posted:

I didn't get any responses to this question in the other Windows thread. My apologies if everyone reading this thread also reads that thread, in which case I'm a dick for reposting.
You might have to buy a new windows license for a couple bucks (or link it to a microsoft account and try to transfer the license that way) but windows isn't as bad about failing to boot when hardware is different so you'll probably be okay in that respect as long as you make sure KVM is set to use a bios or uefi depending on what the original system was using.

You might also be able to do stuff to make the vm look like the original computer to avoid the license problem but I'd personally rather spend the $2 than deal with that. (You can also just leave it unactivated, too.)

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 23, 2020

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

CFox posted:

I'm confused. Why are you wanting to run something in a VM? Are you just wanting access to the files on your old PC?

Pretty much. I can copy my user documents to my NAS, but I'd like to still be able to access the old system in case there's something I forgot like random config files, etc. Having it available as a VM, just in case, seems more convenient than trying to set the old box up in a closet or something.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Why not just hook up the old hard drive? You could even just use an enclosure and do it through USB if you don't wanna keep them in your system.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah if you don't need to run programs you had installed, there's no reason to bother with a vm.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
At work whenever someone got a new computer or their Windows had to be reinstalled it would have been too much work to make sure all the data they need got transferred over, so I just robocopy'ed the full C: from the old computer to C:\Old-C\. Sometimes I'd find multiple levels of Old-Cs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Geemer posted:

Why not just hook up the old hard drive? You could even just use an enclosure and do it through USB if you don't wanna keep them in your system.

Yeah. I tend to just Macrium my startup drive, chuck it on an external and if I need something that I forgot I just mount the image and copy it off.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i have a single folder on a pretty new SSD that has a ton of images in it that ive collected over the years. on windows 7 this thing popped open quickly every time. now that im using windows 10, it needs like 20 seconds to load the entire thing every single time. is there a button or setting somewhere i can push that caches the drat thing so it behaves more like 7 than whatever its doing now

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
how do you tell Windows what your default installation drive should be? for some reason it thinks mine is D when it should be C, so it tries installing poo poo to D:/Program Files

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

settings > storage settings > change where new content is saved.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Verviticus posted:

i have a single folder on a pretty new SSD that has a ton of images in it that ive collected over the years. on windows 7 this thing popped open quickly every time. now that im using windows 10, it needs like 20 seconds to load the entire thing every single time. is there a button or setting somewhere i can push that caches the drat thing so it behaves more like 7 than whatever its doing now

You can set the folder properties to general/documents or something. Though periodically Windows will helpfully decide to switch it back.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

How do you make Windows let go of an external drive? I have a 4TB portable Western Digital drive and the light starts blinking the second I connect it and never stops. Even if I turn off virus scanning, something is going on at all times. Eject doesn't work, and yanking it after going on standby will sometimes cause errors. The only 'clean' way to disconnect the drive is to shut down the entire computer.

Windows, you idiot, it's a portable drive, stop trying to do things. Let it go.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Check activity monitor or whatever it's called in windows to see what's using the disk.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I just put the computer to sleep and unplug. Wouldn't be any good if you have to deal with it regularly, I guess.

E: Oh you mentioned trying that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

doctorfrog posted:

How do you make Windows let go of an external drive? I have a 4TB portable Western Digital drive and the light starts blinking the second I connect it and never stops. Even if I turn off virus scanning, something is going on at all times. Eject doesn't work, and yanking it after going on standby will sometimes cause errors. The only 'clean' way to disconnect the drive is to shut down the entire computer.

Windows, you idiot, it's a portable drive, stop trying to do things. Let it go.

I have found Hotswap! to be invaluable. Hasn't failed me yet. (Sometimes Windows says "device requested a reboot" blah blah, but the device has always been actually ejected and safe to unplug.)