Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

Lockback posted:

Yeah, and by default it's off. It basically introduces some extra latency to give the decoder and network time. Basically its a way to see if consistent latency is better than lower but inconsistent. I think for most people/games its better to just have lower but it's worth experimenting with.

not sure if i'm being thick but on mine below sliced encoding it just says about video buffering and turning that on or off doesn't seem to change the yes/no on the high latency bit in the stats overlay, its really bugging me as if there is some setting on which is increasing latency obviously want that bad boy off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I've been having a lot of fun in Tilt Brush on the Quest 2. Is there a way to undo without being in beginner mode? The only way I've found is to switch from advanced to beginner, undo and go back to advanced. Too many steps.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I just learned you not only can get VR legs, you also can lose them a bit. I haven't played any 'intense' VR game in a while, last ones have been Eleven TT, BS, Gadgeteer, so coming back to Swarm with all the hook action left me a bit uneasy.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 23, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

by.a.teammate posted:

not sure if i'm being thick but on mine below sliced encoding it just says about video buffering and turning that on or off doesn't seem to change the yes/no on the high latency bit in the stats overlay, its really bugging me as if there is some setting on which is increasing latency obviously want that bad boy off.

What version are you on? You'd patched it with sidequest?

Should look like that.

Turin Turambar posted:

I just learned you not only can get VR legs, you also can lose them a bit. I haven't any 'intense' VR game in a while, last ones have been Eleven TT, BS, Gadgeteer, so coming back to Swarm with all the hook action left me a bit uneasy.

Yeah, same here. I just do the fan thing now all the time. Seems to be the best trick.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
v23 oculus software for quest is out buy mine is stuck on v20 and says theres no later version..

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I believe it rolls out gradually to the user base for a handful of reasons (including a killswitch if they find it's bricking people or whatever)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

sea of losers posted:

v23 oculus software for quest is out buy mine is stuck on v20 and says theres no later version..

Load up the ptc on the beta tab.

On the other hand, I'm still waiting Oculus Move. I know some people have it already.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

v23 seems to have some tracking and performance issues. Several people have reported that the headset is jittering or "swimming" when you stay still and the menus are really choppy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

iron buns posted:

v23 seems to have some tracking and performance issues. Several people have reported that the headset is jittering or "swimming" when you stay still and the menus are really choppy.

In what? Seems like it's working for me. I haven't done more than some simple testing in Link though.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

Lockback posted:

What version are you on? You'd patched it with sidequest?

Should look like that.

Yeah, same here. I just do the fan thing now all the time. Seems to be the best trick.

argh i dont have that!

I just tried going to sidequest and installing the patch and no change so i deleted the app and re-installed the sidequest patch and still no luck!

It says im on version 1.18 (sideloaded) what should i be on? not sure what im doing wrong!

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Got my HP Reverb G2 on Friday, and found it was too narrow for my face. I tried taking the face gasket and stretching it out after heating it over the stove. Then it wouldn’t go back into the headset. Repeated efforts to bend it back just made it worse and worse and I wound up snapping it in half out of frustration. Contacted HP support and they’re not selling any replacement face gaskets. Guess I have a $600 paperweight now. Welp!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Got my HP Reverb G2 on Friday, and found it was too narrow for my face. I tried taking the face gasket and stretching it out after heating it over the stove. Then it wouldn’t go back into the headset. Repeated efforts to bend it back just made it worse and worse and I wound up snapping it in half out of frustration. Contacted HP support and they’re not selling any replacement face gaskets. Guess I have a $600 paperweight now. Welp!

:stare:

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

by.a.teammate posted:

argh i dont have that!

I just tried going to sidequest and installing the patch and no change so i deleted the app and re-installed the sidequest patch and still no luck!

It says im on version 1.18 (sideloaded) what should i be on? not sure what im doing wrong!
1.18 is the latest. That's really odd it's not there! Did a reboot change anything by chance? I have no idea.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

INTJ Mastermind posted:

:aaaaa:

edit: mayyybe you can salvage it by putting it again, gluing it, then putting above one of those leather facial interfaces that sell for other headsets. Dunno.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 23, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/OculusSupport/status/1330990423343464449

The good guys won! Now,to request making FB accounts optional! lol

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

by.a.teammate posted:

argh i dont have that!

Wait, are you using the wired or the wirelss version? Are you installing from the Quest store? Because there's a difference between the two.

Turin Turambar posted:

Hey cool. Dumb they didn't do it right away but nice to give away games like that.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Where do I claim that then? I activated mine the day before the previous start date so I didn't look into it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

KingKapalone posted:

Where do I claim that then? I activated mine the day before the previous start date so I didn't look into it.

per reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualrea...embed&context=3

quote:

Thank you to everyone in the community who shared concerns about this promotion’s timing. Your candid feedback, support, and enthusiasm are what make this platform a success. The promotion is now available to those who purchased a Quest 2 between September 16 and November 20, 2020. If you'd like to participate, please contact Oculus Support and have a pdf of your Quest 2 proof of purchase ready to share. The holidays are a busy time for our CS team, so we appreciate your patience should you encounter a delay. Thanks!

Note: Asgard’s Wrath requires an activated Quest 2, a Link cable with the associated PC software, and a compatible PC for use. The promotion will continue through Jan 31, 2021.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Any word on when elite straps for the quest 2 might be back in? The basic one blows and really not doing me much favors

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Narcissus1916 posted:

Any word on when elite straps for the quest 2 might be back in? The basic one blows and really not doing me much favors

There are a few 3rd party straps you can try as well if you're feeling adventurous. There's about a million different sellers of the same straps that come from some factory, so I don't know which are the better ones to buy from, but theres a few styles available.

https://www.amazon.com/Esimen-Adjus...06175505&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/IOVROIGO-Adj...06175505&sr=8-7

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Thanks! I'll check them out. However I've ran into a fairly big issue - the link cable (official brand) lags like hell both in the rift interface and in SteamVR. I'm using a usb-c adapter since my computer itself doesn't have the right type of usb outlet.

Could that be causing the heinous amount of choppiness and lag I'm seeing?

I've got a fairly decent PC (2 GTX980s, intel i7 -@ 3.5 Ghz, 12 GB Ram) but are my specs way below what i should have?

If it is the cable, would the virtual desktop be a workaround?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Tom Guycot posted:

There are a few 3rd party straps you can try as well if you're feeling adventurous. There's about a million different sellers of the same straps that come from some factory, so I don't know which are the better ones to buy from, but theres a few styles available.

https://www.amazon.com/Esimen-Adjus...06175505&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/IOVROIGO-Adj...06175505&sr=8-7

I'm kinda interested in this third party strap:
https://www.goquestvr.com/index.php/product/halo-strap/

$58 for a halo mount with built in headphones seems like a pretty sweet deal (as long as the headphones are actually decent).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

Thanks! I'll check them out. However I've ran into a fairly big issue - the link cable (official brand) lags like hell both in the rift interface and in SteamVR. I'm using a usb-c adapter since my computer itself doesn't have the right type of usb outlet.

I've got a fairly decent PC (2 GTX980s, intel i7 -@ 3.5 Ghz, 12 GB Ram) but are my specs way below what i should have?

Running SLI with VR is a bad move. You only are using 1 of those 980s which is pretty low end, and running them in SLI at all might even be making it worse. An easy test would be to disable one of those and see if its any better.

What kind of bandwidth are you getting from the link cable in the Oculus app? You can try Virtual Desktop to see if that runs any better, at least it would take the USB connection out of the equation (and add Wifi connection).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Be cool if SLI meant one card per eye or something.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Narcissus1916 posted:

If its choppy as crap with link, first think you should check is do the usb test in the desktop app. you have the nice official cable, but its possible the port you're using or the adapter is crapping out and making it go at usb 2.0, in which case try another port, or adapter.

Beyond that, you've got a 980, so its worth making sure you don't have the render resolution cranked up too high for your machine.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

Be cool if SLI meant one card per eye or something.

There's things graphics cards do to cheat at generating the images for both eyes in a way that doesn't take 2x, and those things are a lot harder to do with SLI. Not to say there isn't some efficiencies but it's not as clear cut. There was more work going on with it, but with SLI dying out for consumer cards it looks like that work is dying too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lockback posted:

There's things graphics cards do to cheat at generating the images for both eyes in a way that doesn't take 2x, and those things are a lot harder to do with SLI. Not to say there isn't some efficiencies but it's not as clear cut. There was more work going on with it, but with SLI dying out for consumer cards it looks like that work is dying too.

Wouldn't doing it via SLI create sync timing issues between the eyes too?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wouldn't doing it via SLI create sync timing issues between the eyes too?

That's actually a pretty easy problem to solve, depending on the implementation SLI requires the frame data to be delivered at the same time regardless. So you do have to manage the timing and that does slow things down, but not a ton. However, that can introduce (or at least, not improve) latency, which is a lot bigger deal in VR. Occasional skipped frames is usually preferable than higher latency.

There are some implementations that do both "each GPU each Eye" and also interpolated frames but the last I heard it was just generally not working great in VR.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does anyone have any advice for reducing stuttering in No Man's Sky VR? Got my Rift S back out to try it yesterday, and it was great, but whenever it hitched the viewpoint froze and made me feel violently ill

I'm on a 3070 and these stutters occur even when I'm otherwise at capped fps / in low detail environments, so I don't think it's having any trouble rendering...

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

No, I figured my card was underpowered.

Heretically, I'm going to suggest the game is better flat, if only because you can use a regular controller with it, and the game was very much designed around using a regular controller. So, so much simpler to interact with things and navigate menus with a controller than either k+kb or vr controllers.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh I agree, it's a gimmick. It's a cool one though :v:

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
When playing a native Quest game, is there a way to cast or something to a TV so people can see and hear the song I'm rocking to in Beat Saber?

Also, these Quest 2 controllers are so small in my 6'5" hands. Having the Index straps that secure them to the back of my hands were awesome. Is there some aftermarket thing that will keep them more secure? They feel loose when swinging them around.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KingKapalone posted:

When playing a native Quest game, is there a way to cast or something to a TV so people can see and hear the song I'm rocking to in Beat Saber?

Yeah, you can pick a cast target from the app, or from I-forget-where-in-the-menus inside VR.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Turin Turambar posted:

This was a smart move. Most retailers have extended return periods for the holidays. Facebook might be able to handle Best Buy throwing a shitfit at a bunch of returns of semi-used headsets, but if Amazon came to them with a "WTF" they were gonna have trouble. I don't even care that much about Asgard's Wrath but I was fully prepared to do an exchange for a fresh headset in early January just to get it.

poo poo finally clicked with me on Beat Saber. I can do plenty of Expert songs now and most hard songs are too easy for me to get into. Expert+ is still definitely out of reach but I'll get there.

Darke GBF fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 24, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Following up on discussion last page: what games do people recommend for first baby steps into VR? I've heard tales of VR motion sickness and don't want to ruin it for myself when my G2 comes tomorrow.

Beat Saber seems interesting and given that you don't move it seems "safe". Is that accurate?

Annoying that there look to be a lot of newbie friendly things that are Oculus only.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Found my boundary today playing vr. Playing that stupid saints and sinners walking dead game. Tried stabbing a zombie and found my wall with my hand and controller.

I uh feel real stupid now. At least the controller is okay. My finger has a big scrape on it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

axeil posted:

Following up on discussion last page: what games do people recommend for first baby steps into VR? I've heard tales of VR motion sickness and don't want to ruin it for myself when my G2 comes tomorrow.

Beat Saber seems interesting and given that you don't move it seems "safe". Is that accurate?

Annoying that there look to be a lot of newbie friendly things that are Oculus only.

Half Life Alyx. It's teleport by default, but if you select the option for stick locomotion (which is comfortably implemented) you can use both at the same time. Allows for seamlessly falling back to teleport if it you start getting a little woozy.

Talkc posted:

I uh feel real stupid now. At least the controller is okay. My finger has a big scrape on it.

It's a zombie bite. Get the axe.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Talkc posted:

Found my boundary today playing vr. Playing that stupid saints and sinners walking dead game. Tried stabbing a zombie and found my wall with my hand and controller.

It happens to the best of us.

Just be glad your controller held up better than mine.

https://youtu.be/ViEqsA_jilc

I had him in a bunch of games for hours, but ten seconds into Gorn my controller was in pieces.

And despite having VR for years, I bloodied my knuckles playing Echo VR just the other day. Jumped up and punched my ceiling full force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

axeil posted:

Space Pirate Trainer is another great place to get started, mainly stationary but getting better at the game is synonymous with getting more comfortable in VR