Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh yeah that theme is soo good. I played “I can fly anything” a lot when TFA came out. TFA is really quiet overall score wise. TLJ is much more bombastic and less reserved to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Phylodox posted:

It sounds pompous, more like parade music than action-oriented scrappy underdog music.

Yeah, that was part of it, but I also felt like the individual components of the track didn’t agree with itself, if that makes any sense.

Compare that with Rey’s theme, which is a piece of music I still listen to constantly, almost 5 years after the fact. It perfectly engenders a sense of adventure, like it was probably meant to.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want the expanded ROS score. It has some cool moments on its own I’d like to listen too. Like the badass palpy theme when the ties show up or the really mature Rey theme when she’s training.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really love The Spark. Luke & Leia’s theme, Han & the Princess, the slow quiet march that starts timid and hidden and builds and builds as Luke steps out to confront the First Order. It’s perfect and it amplifies an already great sequence.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

CelticPredator posted:

I want the expanded ROS score. It has some cool moments on its own I’d like to listen too. Like the badass palpy theme when the ties show up or the really mature Rey theme when she’s training.

Unfortunately the Deluxe version of the Solo score was something that John Powell was pushing for, not Disney, so I don't think there's any plans to do the same for the other scores. Unless the deluxe version does really well, I suppose.

It's a shame because there's supposed to be over two hours worth of of music written of The Rise of Skywalker, it would be great for it to get a release. And the prequels.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really love The Spark. Luke & Leia’s theme, Han & the Princess, the slow quiet march that starts timid and hidden and builds and builds as Luke steps out to confront the First Order. It’s perfect and it amplifies an already great sequence.

I love Luke & Leia's theme, and it was the one theme I was really hoping would get more play in the sequels after it only plays about twice in RotJ and not at all during the prequels. When it did finally appear at the end of TLJ it was so loving good, I was glad they held off using it until that moment when Luke and Leia are actually together again.

And then TRoS goes and ruins it all by playing it over a scene of Lando talking to his fake daughter.

Anyways, I'm really interested in what Ludwig Göransson is going to do now he's started working in some of the themes from the films - I wonder if we'll get any others now that we've had the March of the Resistance here? Maybe the force theme when we meet Ahsoka, or even Ahsoka's theme from Clone Wars if he's going crazy about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gum9bVWboY

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Not having the force theme when meeting Ahsoka would honestly be a disservice. It’s the first time they’ve met a Jedi and for all they know the only one that’s left.

I like they’ve kept it shelved for now though, even during bae-yo’s use of the force.

It’s interesting to note that the “baby Yoda uses the force” motif is literally Kylo Ren’s 5-note theme with the last note changed to make the resolution bright rather than sinister.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hazo posted:

Not having the force theme when meeting Ahsoka would honestly be a disservice. It’s the first time they’ve met a Jedi and for all they know the only one that’s left.

No Ahsoka theme would be a bummer imo. I really hope they have a new variation of it at least when we first see her, or break it out when she has to ignite her sabers or something.

[Edit]

The somber version of Ahsoka's theme used as the coda of the 'Ahsoka Leaves' track from the Clone Wars OST still hits pretty hard (starts at 1:50).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE3AMWnfVXM

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 24, 2020

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Hazo posted:

I like they’ve kept it shelved for now though, even during bae-yo’s use of the force.

It’s interesting to note that the “baby Yoda uses the force” motif is literally Kylo Ren’s 5-note theme with the last note changed to make the resolution bright rather than sinister.

Luke is a galactic hero. If anything, everyone thinks Luke is the only Jedi left.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A.o.D. posted:

Luke is a galactic hero. If anything, everyone thinks Luke is the only Jedi left.

Everytime he loudly declares himself a Jedi everybody in the fuckin place is dead a few hours later so maybe word isn't getting out

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I can never think of John Williams anymore without thinking of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ-YpADa-KQ

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

A.o.D. posted:

It’s pretty clear from everything we’ve seen that none of the main characters aside from Bo-Katan & the Armorer have any idea what a Jedi is.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hazo posted:

It’s pretty clear from everything we’ve seen that none of the main characters aside from Bo-Katan & the Armorer have any idea what a Jedi is.

My brain initially read "aside from" as "including", and I was like "hold, I think Bo-Katan knows what a Jedi is" :v:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m excited to meet a new character, and I’m interested to see how people like me, who’ve never met Ahsoka, will respond to them compared to you folks who watched her for years and have all this wild backstory.

My concern is that Mando meeting Ahsoka brings him much closer to the plot and the characters of the original films
more than they’ve been and I’m wary.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m excited to meet a new character, and I’m interested to see how people like me, who’ve never met Ahsoka, will respond to them compared to you folks who watched her for years and have all this wild backstory.

My concern is that Mando meeting Ahsoka brings him much closer to the plot and the characters of the original films

So far the Mandolorian has been about small, personal stakes, but it's been clearly telegraphing that things are going to get bigger ever since it showed off the darksaber at the end of season one.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

They've kept Ahsoka, and for that matter all the survivors from Clone Wars and Rebels relatively insulated from the main Skywalker Saga players, largely as a means of explaining away why Luke, Leia, Han, et al. never ran into them in any appreciable way on screen or in broadly accepted OT-extra canonical material. The only mainline character from the Original Trilogy that Ahsoka has run into was Vader in Rebels (not counting Obi-Wan anyway), and their meeting was divorced from anything that happens in the original three movies and more about definitively wrapping up their relationship from Clone Wars and giving her the closure of knowing that Anakin was basically dead and Vader did in fact kill him, from a certain point of view.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My sideshow baby yoda is about to ship!!

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

hobbesmaster posted:

John Williams should've just said "No, you get Joseph"

Just this for all of the sequels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ebjptd6Kgo
Hell yeah.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I’d suggest Abrams had his hands tied.

Counterpoint: Star Trek Into Darkness and Rise of Skywalker prove that Abrams is a gutless hack who can't manage to do anything but repackage nostalgia for older, better movies. This is fine when you're getting a reboot off the ground decades later, but loving dire once it's already up there.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Counterpoint: Star Trek Into Darkness and Rise of Skywalker prove that Abrams is a gutless hack who can't manage to do anything but repackage nostalgia for older, better movies. This is fine when you're getting a reboot off the ground decades later, but loving dire once it's already up there.

An even better example to cite would be Super 8. Super 8 is the perfect, the Ur JJ Abrams Film. His thus far only original big budget feature film not tied to a pre-existing franchise and it is an absolutely frictionless nostalgia theme park ride for Things JJ Abrams Remembers From His Childhood that coasts on emotion and is bereft of common sense and falls apart in the third act when the lid is pried off the Mystery Box and you realize that it's empty.

It is a film that exists and was made by JJ Abrams and I to this day cannot remember a thing that happens in it or who any of the characters in it were supposed to be and I swear to God that I watched it at least once, in a theater where it had my undivided attention for 90 whole minutes.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 24, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love half of super 8 so much. A bunch of movie making kids trying to film their film in the midst of a disaster? That’s a great story.

The monster stuff is just not good at all.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

I love half of super 8 so much. A bunch of movie making kids trying to film their film in the midst of a disaster? That’s a great story.

The monster stuff is just not good at all.

The whole "small town kids try to solve a dangerous mystery that's way over their heads" is a fairly decent plot too, but you need to have something worthwhile inside the mystery box when you finally crack it open at the start of act three. And whatever the hell was at the end of Super 8 waddn't it, Hoss.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Abrams' approach is to keep moving fast enough that nobody notices or cares that things don't make sense, which is why Mission Impossible was genuinely a good fit for him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Feels like Abrams keeps trying to have his cake and eat it too, and inevitably ends up disappointing as a result.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

nine-gear crow posted:

They've kept Ahsoka, and for that matter all the survivors from Clone Wars and Rebels relatively insulated from the main Skywalker Saga players, largely as a means of explaining away why Luke, Leia, Han, et al. never ran into them in any appreciable way on screen or in broadly accepted OT-extra canonical material. The only mainline character from the Original Trilogy that Ahsoka has run into was Vader in Rebels (not counting Obi-Wan anyway), and their meeting was divorced from anything that happens in the original three movies and more about definitively wrapping up their relationship from Clone Wars and giving her the closure of knowing that Anakin was basically dead and Vader did in fact kill him, from a certain point of view.

The Rebels crew also did two smuggling deals for Lando, which later led to Ezra claiming to be Lando as a cover story twice, but that was before Ahsoka was in it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Feels like Abrams keeps trying to have his cake and eat it too, and inevitably ends up disappointing as a result.

What’s funny is that both Abrams’ and Favreau’s approach to Star Wars basically boils down to “I’m gonna dump all these figures on the floor and play with them and make PEW PEW noises”, but Favreau also has the wherewithal to surround himself with other talented people who maybe understand the franchise a little better than he does and can beef up the story with lore and mysticism.

Abrams just sticks with his usual partners for everything and the result suffers because he’s only ever thinking about what the 8-year-old version of himself would want to see.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What’s funny is that both Abrams’ and Favreau’s approach to Star Wars basically boils down to “I’m gonna dump all these figures on the floor and play with them and make PEW PEW noises”, but Favreau also has the wherewithal to surround himself with other talented people who maybe understand the franchise a little better than he does and can beef up the story with lore and mysticism.

Abrams just sticks with his usual partners for everything and the result suffers because he’s only ever thinking about what the 8-year-old version of himself would want to see.

I still can't believe that Alex Kurtzman tripped in control over the Star Trek franchise purely because JJ Abrams got bored of it and tossed the keys to him because he was JJ's chief crony and the only other option had disqualified himself by loudly outing himself as a 9/11 Truther.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

howe_sam posted:

That's been true for longer than 20 years. Love the guy but he's always cribbed from himself.

I'm pretty sure Raiders of the Lost Ark is just the stuff he had left over in notes from Star Wars and Empire.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Sash! posted:

I'm pretty sure Raiders of the Lost Ark is just the stuff he had left over in notes from Star Wars and Empire.
Nah, when you dig into that score it's pretty clearly crafted specifically for that movie in a lot of ways. A good introduction to this topic is this four part series on the movie's soundtrack:

https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/the-soundtrack-show/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-the-gIC0BN4Pwzh/

https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/the-soundtrack-show/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-the-eN_H8hYK7d6/

https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/the-soundtrack-show/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-the-4q0DgtK-vkz/

https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/the-soundtrack-show/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-the-31lIELSO7RZ/

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The Soundtrack Show is a great podcast. I highly recommend all of his John Williams episodes, as well as his episodes on the Leone westerns, dies irae, Max Steiner, and the Universal Monsters.

He does seem to be on an indefinite hiatus though, which usually doesn’t bode well for podcasts :(

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Dark Forces V: Jedi Knight IV: Jedi Outcast III: Jedi Academy II: Fallen Order

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
its been really interesting seeing my mom and dad enjoy this show since they've only seen the movies and dont know anything about any expanded universe stuff

my dads been looking at wookieepedia a lot and asking my brother and i a bunch of stuff about clone wars/rebels and now he's rly strongly considering watching clone wars/rebels with my mother lmao

i bet this show has rly strongly driven up viewership of clone wars rebels

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Kanine posted:

its been really interesting seeing my mom and dad enjoy this show since they've only seen the movies and dont know anything about any expanded universe stuff

my dads been looking at wookieepedia a lot and asking my brother and i a bunch of stuff about clone wars/rebels and now he's rly strongly considering watching clone wars/rebels with my mother lmao

i bet this show has rly strongly driven up viewership of clone wars rebels

I've just started watching The Clone Wars, so yeah.

There's also an earlier series that's just Clone Wars (2003, 3 seasons), but I assume that isn't worth watching as much as The Clone Wars (2008, 7 seasons). Is that true?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

pik_d posted:

There's also an earlier series that's just Clone Wars (2003, 3 seasons), but I assume that isn't worth watching as much as The Clone Wars (2008, 7 seasons). Is that true?

The 2003 one is highly stylised and action heavy (although that changes in the last few episodes as it shifts into setting up Revenge of the Sith). I really liked it when I saw it years ago.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The 2003 one is highly stylised and action heavy (although that changes in the last few episodes as it shifts into setting up Revenge of the Sith). I really liked it when I saw it years ago.

Hmm, it apparently wasn't worth putting up on Disney+.

Found it on youtube though, in full for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FBNbvF4OGo

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

pik_d posted:

I've just started watching The Clone Wars, so yeah.

Clone Wars 2003 was designed to be minute long scenes that were basically commercials on Cartoon Network. They later expanded it to 3 minute long segments with more story that connected but even then they are... frenetic.

If you think a Samurai Jack style artwork Star Wars with billions of blaster bolts, cool clone trooper scense, and General Grievous playing out a slasher flick amongst a half dozen Jedi then give it a whirl.

It has one of my favorite Star Wars burns where Count Dooku just loving styles all over Asajj Ventress

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Gendy Tartakovsky Clone Wars kicks large amounts of rear end, but it's stylistically very different in both look and tone to the Filoni series. It's just fun Star Wars action (and they got to introduce General Grevious and show why he's a feared badass, instead of the weird mustache twirly coughing dude in ROTS. The Filoni show helped Grevious too)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Joke Miriam posted:

Hey my grandfather died during the Destruction of Alderaan.

He got drunk and fell into the tunnel the green laser goes through.

Tell it right :cawg:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kanine fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 24, 2020

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

also i hope everyone is aware of karbin from the new darth vader comics lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Kanine posted:

also i hope everyone is aware of karbin from the new darth vader comics lmao

this loving rules.