Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

dokmo posted:

Someone please watch the Seagal interview by Scott Adkins for me, I don't have the tolerance for cringy stuff anymore.

I thought it was suprisingly good. Seagal took a while to get warmed up but definitely did , and clearly cared about his love of Aikido which I frankly didn't know much about. Adkins really bridges the gap of liking the work of these older stars but having done the work himself that gives him credibility. Heck, at one point Seagal mentioned watching the Chad Stahelski interview that Adkins had done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

Heck, at one point Seagal mentioned watching the Chad Stahelski interview that Adkins had done

I think I posted this before, but I feel like these Adkins interviews are getting to a point where they're almost as important a document for the history and legacy of the action/martial arts genre as any of the actual films he's made. He'd probably take that as an insult but it's really not. He's managed to get a lot of important people to sit down for these things and almost every one has been extremely illuminating and informative.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Basebf555 posted:

I think I posted this before, but I feel like these Adkins interviews are getting to a point where they're almost as important a document for the history and legacy of the action/martial arts genre as any of the actual films he's made. He'd probably take that as an insult but it's really not. He's managed to get a lot of important people to sit down for these things and almost every one has been extremely illuminating and informative.

Yeah it's really odd. Seagal warmed up a ton when they started talking about the stuntmen taking flips and was like oh yeah all these guys were my students, only they could be this good to not die, etc and describing how they didn't rehearse quite as much since they knew each other so well. It was really neat

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
what the gently caress is going on in split second, how did they realize that these guys are mirror images of each other and then cast them

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

mastershakeman posted:

what the gently caress is going on in split second, how did they realize that these guys are mirror images of each other and then cast them

Lurdiak posted:

Of course the British reviewers didn't like it, the cast isn't entirely composed of balding unfunny has been alcoholic comedians and things happen in it that aren't people arguing in pubs.

Semi-Related posts.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Did anyone watch the Gary Daniels art of action? I remember reading an interview with Gary Daniels many years ago in Blitz magazine (shut up) and, when asked what his favourite scene of his was, he didn't really have a strong answer. It was kind of sad to see a guy who's made a bajillion films but isn't particularly proud of them. I hope he's done some work he's proud of.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Hirez posted:

wow. just have to cut in because I just finished watching this and thought it was the best movie of the year... and was about to come in praising it. Yes it's more complex than your standard Adkins movie. It's like a french The Departed if I had to compare it. It's absolutely brutal at times.

I do get your point about too many characters/etc - it helped being a wrestling fan that 3 of the bad guys looked like Ciampi (Bald guy), Roman Reigns (fatso), and The Miz (nadal).

4.5/5 from me

The Netflix tagline in Dutch on this was, translated back to English: "An honest cop who target of both corrupt cops and warring gangs in Marseille must protect his team by taking matters into his own hands" and I kept waiting for an honest cop to show up. This was an obviously wrong way to translate "A loyal cop must protect his team" by someone who never saw the movie.

As an action movie it's indeed not a standout but as a gritty police drama it works very well. Cool to see Claudia Cardinale as the gang matriarch.

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 5, 2020

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
I have a question about hard target. There is scene towards the end where Lance Henrickson’s jacket catches on fire. That’s really him in that scene right? I swear a few seconds later he is screaming at Billy Zane to get the son of a bitch and you can see the back of his head completely covered in Fire retardant gel.

Or is that wishful thinking on my part. If that really happened then Lance is a loving badass for that.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

According to imdb he wasn't supposed to catch on fire but he did and just went with it which if true means yeah it was him and later scenes where he was supposed to be on fire would be the proper stunt or maybe he told them to slather him up in case of another mistake.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

jase1 posted:

I have a question about hard target. There is scene towards the end where Lance Henrickson’s jacket catches on fire. That’s really him in that scene right? I swear a few seconds later he is screaming at Billy Zane to get the son of a bitch and you can see the back of his head completely covered in Fire retardant gel.

Or is that wishful thinking on my part. If that really happened then Lance is a loving badass for that.

Arnold Vosloo, not Billy Zane. Unless you were doing a joke and i absolute got the joke.

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"

jase1 posted:

duz posted:

According to imdb he wasn't supposed to catch on fire but he did and just went with it which if true means yeah it was him and later scenes where he was supposed to be on fire would be the proper stunt or maybe he told them to slather him up in case of another mistake.

That's really Lance Henriksen, but the story about it being an accident is just one of those movie myths that gets passed around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAAXaldjaeE&t=71s

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i saw the battle roar to victory and it was loving badass

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I rewatched Rambo 2 the other night since my friend hadn't seen it or Commando, so we watched both. What's remarkable about it is that they're both really goddamn silly, but not only is commando way more self aware in its silliness, it's also straight up a better made movie. There's so few good shot choices in rambo two aside from a few nice wide shots of landscapes, there's no real flow to any of the action. Every scene is rambo doing something in one shot, only for something to explode or die in a completely different shot. It all feels really cheap and patched together. Also, the whole movie is a collection of people walking and standing really loving weirdly. Steven Berkoff, who is way too loving good for the movie, is the only one who knows how to move and stand on camera.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

I rewatched Rambo 2 the other night since my friend hadn't seen it or Commando, so we watched both. What's remarkable about it is that they're both really goddamn silly, but not only is commando way more self aware in its silliness, it's also straight up a better made movie. There's so few good shot choices in rambo two aside from a few nice wide shots of landscapes, there's no real flow to any of the action. Every scene is rambo doing something in one shot, only for something to explode or die in a completely different shot. It all feels really cheap and patched together. Also, the whole movie is a collection of people walking and standing really loving weirdly. Steven Berkoff, who is way too loving good for the movie, is the only one who knows how to move and stand on camera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ui9TwNrNEw

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snowman_McK posted:

George P. Cosmatos made up for the lack of great shot choices in this by passing down to his son like, maximum great shot choice ability as we've seen in Beyond the Black Rainbow and Mandy. I mean that on every level too as Panos was second unit on Tombstone which was also directed by his dad and then was able to make Beyond the Black Rainbow with residuals from it. :D

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I knew what this would be before clicking. It's amazing that it, Hot Shots 2 and Commando, all of which are comedies, really have to put in work to be sillier than what stallone and norris (and probably some others) were doing completely seriously

Neo Rasa posted:

George P. Cosmatos made up for the lack of great shot choices in this by passing down to his son like, maximum great shot choice ability as we've seen in Beyond the Black Rainbow and Mandy. I mean that on every level too as Panos was second unit on Tombstone which was also directed by his dad and then was able to make Beyond the Black Rainbow with residuals from it. :D

Both of those movies are terrific. I didn't know about the residuals connection, that's awesome. There was a long standing rumour that George P Cosmatos was the guy hired when a big star essentially wanted to to direct a movie themselves, but couldn't get the studio to sign off. So, George would be hired. On paper, he'd be the director, but it was actually Stallone or Kurt Russel or whoever that was actually directing.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 21, 2020

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

I am afraid to rewatch that in case it doesn't hold up but I loved that movie as a kid. I still regularly use the "what would ____ say if he was alive today" joke from it

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

You ever read the interview where Kurt Russell comes and out and says he directed Tombstone and told Cosmos to take a nap or something for the entire shoot?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

B-Rock452 posted:

I am afraid to rewatch that in case it doesn't hold up but I loved that movie as a kid. I still regularly use the "what would ____ say if he was alive today" joke from it

It's ok. The pacing is a bit off for both the jokes and the plot, but the jokes themselves hold up.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shageletic posted:

You ever read the interview where Kurt Russell comes and out and says he directed Tombstone and told Cosmos to take a nap or something for the entire shoot?

That movie was really made in the editing room. There’s a lot of montages in it.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

B-Rock452 posted:

Same, it was still good.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Oops forgot to post here for a while, but I was mixing in like Columbo and stuff. Here's the ones I got. Also watched Greenland (1.5/5), which has the action tag but not much action.

Coffee & Kareem (2020) - 2.5/5, Netflix
Perfectly watchable action comedy if you can get past the structural problems involved with a white guy making a cop comedy in 2020. The tone of the movie bounces around a lot but in the end everything is in service of getting a laugh and for me, I did laugh enough during the movie's short runtime.

Most entertaining scenes were with the crime crew of Lee, Bachelor, and Stewart. Henson was also great. The kid was not as annoying as I expected.

Chick Fight (2020) - 2.5/5
This movie has a good core and delivers solid entertainment. The premise is interesting and the fights are cool, even if they are all over-the-place movie fights. It’s not an MMA movie.

Most of the performances were good, too. Dulcé Sloan and Fortune Feimster put in great work, and Big Sexy Kevin Nash in a major role was a nice surprise.

The issue I had with the film is that it’s ostensibly movie about women’s empowerment and it has a man in both the writer and director chairs. So you end up with a bunch of weird rough edges that keep it from reaching the next level that it was probably capable of. It doesn’t need the shoehorned in romance rival plot. A lot of the jokes could use a second pass.

Still, there was enough to like here that I’m glad I watched it.

Dirty Harry (1971) - 3.5/5, HBO Max
I get that I'm 35 now so I'm old, but holy hell I could not believe that this movie is 49 years old. Of course some aspects of it are very dated, such as several uses of the n-word and an overall disdain for women and really everyone that is not a white dude.

But if you can get past that, you get not only an exciting, insane, violent picture but also one that has some really beautiful shots and great direction. It's incredibly watchable, with a surprising historical document of San Francisco as a character. Andy Robinson is superb in his role as the killer here.

I did not know until I watched it that the "do I feel lucky" speech is used in its entirety twice in the movie. That was a weird choice.

Jiu Jitsu (2020) - 1/5
Probably not the actual worst action movie of the year, but not far off of it. Excruciating viewing. There are a few moments of decent action, mostly involving Tony Jaa, but you have to navigate a film that contains the worst plot, worst script, worst effects, worst acting, and, even in the action parts, some of the worst editing.

The director probably thought this was the only time he was going to be able to make a "big" movie, so he went ahead and threw in every possible idea he had. And almost all of them are half-baked. Shaky cam fights. Over-cut fights. FIRST PERSON fighting. Plus Alain Moussi is cardboard, as usual.

The plot is Predator, but instead of using guns they are using martial arts. So you get minutes upon minutes of normal people trying to do punches and kicks against an invincible supernatural creature.

Jiu Jitsu will make the "ironically enjoying bad movies" crowd go wild, but that ain't me. Skip it.

Vanguard (2020) - 1.5/5
Vanguard is an episode of the 80s Sunbow G.I. Joe series, made as a movie in 2020. Literally anything goes, so you get practical hand-to-hand and stunts mixed with hoverboards and CG lions and robot bees. Plot is absolutely insane, based around a private security firm protecting a guy that worked with a terrorist against... even worse terrorists?

I was shocked to see in the credits that location shooting was actually done in London, Zambia, India, and Dubai, because everything in the movie looks like a soundstage or green screen. Almost nothing looks good. The lighting is off and all the computer effects are extremely out of place. That was my main problem with the movie, I can get behind a crazy action movie plot if it's not physically painful to watch what is on the screen.

The limited work that Jackie Chan was given was a positive, and Miya Muqi was good. Other than that, almost nothing to commend. Loses additional points for having jokes that aren't funny including, for some reason, a throwaway brownface gag.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Snowman_McK posted:

There's so few good shot choices in rambo two aside from a few nice wide shots of landscapes, there's no real flow to any of the action. Every scene is rambo doing something in one shot, only for something to explode or die in a completely different shot.
I can't forgive an action movie made by people who just couldn't film action.

I actually watched the Asylum John Carter movie last week. Swordfights where you rarely see the swordfighters actually cross swords.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Of course after I made a big post of reviews the next movie I watch was Actually Good
https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/1330919828799049730

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i finally got around to watching ip man 3(2015) and it's like wow why did you even bother making four when you had a final boss like that

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Finally got around to watching The Night Comes For Us last night and, drat, what a movie. It's like they took all the blood and guts modern Hollywood movies are reluctant to use and put them all into one, gruesome spectacle. It's the kind of movie where it will do a fake out death and I knew it was fake simply because the movie would never kill someone without them first being stabbed 20 times and spilling a gallon of blood. The fight sequences are as incredible as you would expect from Iko Uwais and company, so if you liked The Raid you'll enjoy this. I assume most people itt are familiar, I just had to put in my two cents.

Uh, and then I watched that movie Lady Bird right after, it was kind of a strange double feature. That was good too, just in a different way.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
On a similar note, I'm finally able to watch Gangs of London because it's on AMC+, and uhhhh yea, after two episodes I can safely say that anyone who enjoyed The Raid(more specifically The Raid 2) would definitely enjoy it. The first episode is a bit slow, but still good, and it needed to set the stage. Episode 2 absolutely hooked me and I don't get the feeling it's gonna slow down from here.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Finally got around to watching The Night Comes For Us last night and, drat, what a movie. It's like they took all the blood and guts modern Hollywood movies are reluctant to use and put them all into one, gruesome spectacle. It's the kind of movie where it will do a fake out death and I knew it was fake simply because the movie would never kill someone without them first being stabbed 20 times and spilling a gallon of blood. The fight sequences are as incredible as you would expect from Iko Uwais and company, so if you liked The Raid you'll enjoy this. I assume most people itt are familiar, I just had to put in my two cents.

It's so good. It's like a slasher movie with a spin kicking monster

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Mantis42 posted:

Uh, and then I watched that movie Lady Bird right after, it was kind of a strange double feature. That was good too, just in a different way.

You gotta be in a particular good mood to watch The Night Comes For Us because it is a relentless unending fountain of violence and not the kind that celebrates "hey violence is cool," the kind that's messy and everyone's crying

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Night Comes for Us is a legit "horror-action" movie, as in body horror as well as just shocking unfun violence.

I know some of you read OutlawVern, and if you haven't been over to his websight lately he wrote another novel that attempts to be a horror-action movie. It's not nearly as good as Niketown (a breezy and fun Elmore Leonard semi-pastiche with a lot of gentle wisdom and absurd criminal behavior) but it's worth reading. Called "Worm on a Hook". Because it's a novel and not a movie, he's got no access to the choreography and cinematography that NCfU uses for its horror content; his villain is much more of a literal 80s slasher. I haven't finished it yet but I am enjoying it and unless he totally misses the mark on the ending it's going to be a recommendation to anyone who likes to read genre fiction and wants an action/horror hybrid.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

On a similar note, I'm finally able to watch Gangs of London because it's on AMC+, and uhhhh yea, after two episodes I can safely say that anyone who enjoyed The Raid(more specifically The Raid 2) would definitely enjoy it. The first episode is a bit slow, but still good, and it needed to set the stage. Episode 2 absolutely hooked me and I don't get the feeling it's gonna slow down from here.

gently caress yeah. I just started this and it is 'The Raid 2, the TV show, only with English people.' I'm up to episode 5 and every episode so far has ended with a set piece that could easily have been the season finale of another show. I also like how it operates on the same rules as the Raid: The higher up you are in a crime family, the better you have to be at karate/gunfighting.

I feel like Gareth Evans has a big scrapbook in his house filled with ideas for terrifying, ghoulish mafia figures. It's loving great. If anyone was on the fence about this, check it out.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I love the Raid and Raid 2 and all the other movies done by those stunt teams but Night Comes for Us is just too much and I am just exhausted by the end and not in a good way. I think the Art of Action with Gareth Evans kind of explains his views on violence in movies, he mentions cutting fast away from a horrific injury and that makes the action effective but NCFU just lingers on it and I just don't like it. Which stinks cause the fights scenes are insanely well done.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m gonna watch the night comes for us because I crave gore sometimes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think relentless is definitely the word for it, because there are moments in Gareth Evans movies that are every bit as horrific but The Night Comes For Us just never lets up. The Night really did come for those guys, with extreme prejudice.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This movie is a blast. It’s so gory lmfao

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I just remembered the butcher's scene.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh my god the pool balls lmfao

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Gangs Of London falls off a cliff after episode 5. It's a whopper of an episode though. After that Gareth Edwards stops directing the action scenes and Xavier Gens delivers an awful torture porn episode.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The night comes for us is a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

The night comes for us is a blast.

It's not quite as good, but check out Headshot. Same director, starring Iko Uwais.