Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Milo and POTUS posted:

I've got this mental image of someone snickering and they turn on him and ask him what's so funny and he starts criticizing his deck build

Looking back now, it was pretty clear he was autistic and he had no goddamn business being in the army. Some recruiter saw his asvab score was to the moon and just kept throwing recruiter promises at him until he wound up in hell for 3 months.

I mean, it was hilarious at the time when drills were hovering around him, yelling poo poo like, "Are you a magician? Can you make me disappear?"

I hope that dude is okay. Never saw him after boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

shame on an IGA posted:

CDC putting the word out that all the covid vaccines have a rougher side effect profile than people are gonna be used to and everyone should plan to be down for a day or two with fever and flu symptoms after they get the jab

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...-the-park-.html

I'll take that over the TDAP booster that always leaves my arm locked up for a week

Did you have a link to the actual CDC putting something out?

This article is about doctors raising the issue with the CDC, not official guidance.

For content: this years flu vaccine did, actually, do a number on me and it took a solid 2-3 days to get over it. Same for my wife and child. Not sure how this will be different

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Thwomp posted:

Did you have a link to the actual CDC putting something out?

This article is about doctors raising the issue with the CDC, not official guidance.

For content: this years flu vaccine did, actually, do a number on me and it took a solid 2-3 days to get over it. Same for my wife and child. Not sure how this will be different

Agreed. I stopped getting the flu vaccine ages ago because I usually don't catch it anyways and the side effects were always hitting me for 2-3 days after.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i am a moron posted:

Agreed. I stopped getting the flu vaccine ages ago because I usually don't catch it anyways and the side effects were always hitting me for 2-3 days after.

congrats on being a loving prick who helps spread the flu

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

i am a moron posted:

what the gently caress

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

i am a moron posted:

I stopped getting the flu vaccine ages ago because I usually don't catch it anyways and the side effects were always hitting me for 2-3 days after.
Not to be a dick, but good username/post combo.

The vaccine isn't really for you, it's for all the high-risk people who can't get or haven't gotten vaccinated for one reason or another that you will spread the flu to. I get that a few instances of perceived unpleasant side effects are lovely, but writing off the flu vaccine entirely isn't a healthy response.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cugel the Clever posted:

The vaccine isn't really for you, it's for all the high-risk people who can't get or haven't gotten vaccinated for one reason or another that you will spread the flu to. I get that a few instances of perceived unpleasant side effects are lovely, but writing off the flu vaccine entirely isn't a healthy response.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cugel the Clever posted:

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

shame on an IGA posted:

CDC putting the word out that all the covid vaccines have a rougher side effect profile than people are gonna be used to and everyone should plan to be down for a day or two with fever and flu symptoms after they get the jab

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...-the-park-.html

I'll take that over the TDAP booster that always leaves my arm locked up for a week

It could knock me out for a week and is still take it.

Twice.

I’m so ready to be done with this poo poo. 5G microchip me. Idgaf.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Woofer posted:

Twice.

:same:

Honestly this year sucked for like three days for me, which never happens, and I’ll still be first in line.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

"Are you a magician? Can you make me disappear?"

I'm loving howling right now. I know exactly how this was said to the poor victim.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Look, I didn't even know the flu killed people at a decent clip until this year. Throw all the rocks you want. Check the username. I know.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Woofer posted:

Twice.

I'mma wait a month and keep quarantining, I want to see wide spread adoption before I trust that a pharmaceutical company didn't gently caress up/do something criminally irresponsible in the name of being first out the door and accidentally release a vaccine which will cook the brains of 1 in 100 people or something equally stupid/evil.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

i am a moron posted:

name loving checks out mate

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

i am a moron posted:

perfect username/post combo

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

If you were all this woke about vaccines prior to 2020, seriously I commend you. It's not something I really considered or cared about up until this year. I've always had all my shots for the big stuff (small pox and rubella and whatever else), I figured the flu was just a take it or leave it deal do your thing kinda thing. I know a lot more about the history of the flu and vaccines and viruses in general now, and I agree it was selfish of me.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I wish people would stop comparing it to the flu.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

orange juche posted:

I'm loving howling right now. I know exactly how this was said to the poor victim.

:same:

Also don't be a moron and just get a flu shot. They're practically free and as someone else put it, it's not just for you.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I’ll admit I usually don’t get a flu shot. But this whole experience has been incredibly humbling and I’ll get it going forward.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Don’t start calling being vaccinated woke or we’ll never get this country working again

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Woofer posted:

I’ll admit I usually don’t get a flu shot. But this whole experience has been incredibly humbling and I’ll get it going forward.

Same here. This past year's changed the way we look at vaccines, their importance is a lot better understood now.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Internet Wizard posted:

Don’t start calling being vaccinated woke or we’ll never get this country working again

AHAHAHHAHAHAHA

friend, this country is broke as gently caress and running on close to 300 years of inertia.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Woofer posted:

I wish people would stop comparing it to the flu.

Same. Afaik the flu doesn’t cripple you like COVID-19 has done to my father and countless others.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Same. Afaik the flu doesn’t cripple you like COVID-19 has done to my father and countless others.

I was checking MMA blogs and Cody Garbrandt, former UFC Bantamweight champion, had a story about getting it in August and still having major issues. He has had vertigo, pneumonia, multiple blood clots, and brain fog continuously since. Dudes a professional athlete under the age of 30 and it hosed him up to the point where he can’t train after 3 months.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zamujasa posted:

the gang tag is excellent but if the :rip: part came first it'd work even with animations off

the awful apps on phones have an option to not animate things, at the very least

Otoh, the awful app fot android doesn't display gangtags at all, so there is a group that definitely isn't complaining

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I was checking MMA blogs and Cody Garbrandt, former UFC Bantamweight champion, had a story about getting it in August and still having major issues. He has had vertigo, pneumonia, multiple blood clots, and brain fog continuously since. Dudes a professional athlete under the age of 30 and it hosed him up to the point where he can’t train after 3 months.

He pulled out of an upcoming fight because of it. It might end his career.

Before my dad went on the vent, he remembers seeing 7 different people, including people he knew, put in bodybags. Dozens more died while he was in the ICU and he somehow pulled through.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I got the Rona back in June/July. Real lovely ten days. I still get hit with random episodes of exhaustion, but that might be unrelated.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

He pulled out of an upcoming fight because of it. It might end his career.

Before my dad went on the vent, he remembers seeing 7 different people, including people he knew, put in bodybags. Dozens more died while he was in the ICU and he somehow pulled through.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I got the Rona back in June/July. Real lovely ten days. I still get hit with random episodes of exhaustion, but that might be unrelated.

Glad you all pulled through. My brother got sick in April in NYC and kinda had a panic attack over it since it was so bad there. Luckily he had symptoms that didn’t quite elevate to hospitalization. He still complains of the brain fog and random fatigue.

I saw him the week before he showed symptoms and some how my wife, children, and I didn’t get it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

i am a moron posted:

If you were all this woke about vaccines prior to 2020, seriously I commend you. It's not something I really considered or cared about up until this year. I've always had all my shots for the big stuff (small pox and rubella and whatever else), I figured the flu was just a take it or leave it deal do your thing kinda thing. I know a lot more about the history of the flu and vaccines and viruses in general now, and I agree it was selfish of me.

Each year in my life science class, I tell everyone to STFU and pay attention to every word I say when I teach vaccines because unlike mitosis or even natural selection, it's the most important thing I teach all year for every single person in the class.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

How do you see a confederate flag covered in flames and a picture of General Sherman and John Lewis and conclude the gangtag is repping the traitors' team? HOW?

I mean, its pretty clear we're both burning the flag and repping the guy who did the burninating.

i am a moron posted:

gently caress you. It isn't about you. Get the loving flu shot, you pseudoscientific coward.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Glad you all pulled through. My brother got sick in April in NYC and kinda had a panic attack over it since it was so bad there. Luckily he had symptoms that didn’t quite elevate to hospitalization. He still complains of the brain fog and random fatigue.

I saw him the week before he showed symptoms and some how my wife, children, and I didn’t get it.

Thanks. I got super lucky that we were already living that Q life. The only real issues I had were ridiculous exhaustion (walking 10 feet to the bathroom? Better sit down to piss) and a terrible migraine that lasted 6 days. An unproductive cough isn't out of the normal, so it was crappy, but I am lucky.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i am a moron posted:

woke is when you understand how herd immunity works and don't want to kill your grandparents or your friends children

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

We've never actually established herd immunity for influenza afaik.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

Potentially not, coronavirus can have cardiac involvement (can cause myocarditis), so next time you go in for a check up, or if it gets worse, have em listen to your ticker.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 24, 2020

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

My understanding was that’s not due to poor vaccination rates but because the flu mutates like crazy and we couldn’t possibly vaccinate against it quickly enough to compensate.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

That Works posted:

Actually we have with some strains. Thanks to the flu shot. Anti-vaccine nutters are actively breaking herd immunity.

Thwomp posted:

My understanding was that’s not due to poor vaccination rates but because the flu mutates like crazy and we couldn’t possibly vaccinate against it quickly enough to compensate.

Yes, the vaccine only has certain strains, but for the most part we do have the same sort of protections as herd immunity with a well vaccinated populace against the flu.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 24, 2020

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

i am a moron posted:

At least your posting matches your username, you loving moron. Get the goddamn vaccine

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Biden won Pennsylvania again!

https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1331269903228284929?s=19

Get vaccinated.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

That Works posted:

yes but if you're vaccinated and it works that year then you don't wind up spreading it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

I'mma wait a month and keep quarantining, I want to see wide spread adoption before I trust that a pharmaceutical company didn't gently caress up/do something criminally irresponsible in the name of being first out the door and accidentally release a vaccine which will cook the brains of 1 in 100 people or something equally stupid/evil.

The vaccine will probably be given to healthcare workers first, so you'll get your chance.