Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

are you serious rays

they're really going to pick cash over him?

e: looking at his contract, 3 more years at $13.6m AAV would make it even more ludicrous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Dipoto gonna do it

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Wow, I'm really curious if this came down to Snell being pulled and he is demanding a trade.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Darvish and Snell available? Please Arte do something

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Snell was going to get traded no matter what because of the upcoming salary commitments. Lord knows that Tampa values a clean salary sheet than actual good players you have to pay

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Yankees should be all over that but beyond the teams hating each other they are also crying poor so he's probably too expensive ( :lol: )

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Gotta think the padres will be interested

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

seriously, the thing that pisses me off about Tampa is that they would pull this move in a normal year. their success is a stain on the sport

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bees x1000 posted:

Darvish and Snell available? Please Arte do something
He will overrule his new GM to sign proven winners George Springer and Joc Pederson instead.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

seiferguy posted:

Just for funsies here's bWAR for the HoF ballot:

Skipped Andruw

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

Snell was going to get traded no matter what because of the upcoming salary commitments. Lord knows that Tampa values a clean salary sheet than actual good players you have to pay

I remember when the Rays bought out Snell's arb years and crowed about how they do too make big signings and keep homegrown stars around!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Atlanta supposedly in on Snell and Morton, but the moves they've ended up making recently are rarely the ones they're "in on". Like Donaldson and Ozuna weren't shocking, they were just at the level of "yeah, that would make sense" speculation as opposed to "BREAKING: talks are in progress" quickly followed by "and now it's done".

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Didn't Morton say something about never wanting to leave Tampa?

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
It's time for Blake Snell to come home to Seattle.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Every team should be in on Blake Snell, that would be an absolute steal.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think Snell's value as a trade chip is probably worth more than his actual value on the field (he hasn't been dominant the last couple of years, and he doesn't throw that many innings), but it doesn't make any sense at all for a team smack in the middle of a contending window like the raise to ship him off for prospects

this is doubly true for a team built like the rays who don't need seven innings out of a starter most nights

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Outside of wanting him from having been a kid in Cleveland in the 90s, Omar in the Hall would be fun because the Mariners would be completely shameless about celebrating it even though his time in Seattle is not at all what he's known for now.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

seiferguy posted:

My ballot:

Sosa

alpha_destroy posted:

I'm a huge hall guy so even with the ballot being much thinner than it used to be i still have over 10 guys I would vote for. In order, let's see

6.) Sosa

:yeshaha:

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

bawfuls posted:

He will overrule his new GM to sign proven winners George Springer and Joc Pederson instead.

Oh my god you're right. Also this forces Shohei into pitching and loving his arm up.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Atlanta supposedly in on Snell and Morton, but the moves they've ended up making recently are rarely the ones they're "in on". Like Donaldson and Ozuna weren't shocking, they were just at the level of "yeah, that would make sense" speculation as opposed to "BREAKING: talks are in progress" quickly followed by "and now it's done".

I could see Morton coming back maybe, and they certainly have the prospects to go get Snell if they really want to, but this does still feel like kicking the tires at this point.

Honestly I'm more surprised at the chatter about them offering Ozuna actual money to stick around for a non-DH year. That'd be trusting in Pache and Acuņa to cover an awful lot of the outfield between them.

In actually encouraging news, Soroka is back tossing again, might be back as early as April: https://twitter.com/FOXSportsBraves/status/1330943008452304905

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
My therapist has me sorting baseball cards before bed. Which is nice. And is helping. But anyway, that got me to look up Matt Harvey on BR. I don't know what I was expecting, but I was definitely surprised. His career ERA+ is underwater now, of course. But he still has a positive WAA which is kind of funny to me. Wonder how many pitchers have a combo like that. ERA+ under 100 but a positive wins above average.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

alpha_destroy posted:

My therapist has me sorting baseball cards before bed. Which is nice. And is helping. But anyway, that got me to look up Matt Harvey on BR. I don't know what I was expecting, but I was definitely surprised. His career ERA+ is underwater now, of course. But he still has a positive WAA which is kind of funny to me. Wonder how many pitchers have a combo like that. ERA+ under 100 but a positive wins above average.

Sounds like a guy you certainly don't want to sell high on....

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

elentar posted:

I could see Morton coming back maybe, and they certainly have the prospects to go get Snell if they really want to, but this does still feel like kicking the tires at this point.

Honestly I'm more surprised at the chatter about them offering Ozuna actual money to stick around for a non-DH year. That'd be trusting in Pache and Acuņa to cover an awful lot of the outfield between them.

In actually encouraging news, Soroka is back tossing again, might be back as early as April: https://twitter.com/FOXSportsBraves/status/1330943008452304905

April seems optimistic, but the sooner the better. I'm just worried he'll get rushed back and get perma hosed up.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

blossommirage posted:

Didn't Morton say something about never wanting to leave Tampa?

I believe he said Tampa or retirement when he left the Astros, but who knows how he feels after such a great 2019 and coming around to form in the playoffs this year

He was also fairly unlucky this year, a 4.74 ERA vs a 3.45 FIP

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Thanks, baseball. I can't stop chuckling at this story about how Alex Rodriguez stole an election in Florida this month.

(Spoiler: Not him.)

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Yes, A-Rod used steroids, and yes it helped him win the popular vote. But even without the steroids, he still would have won the electoral college. You can't keep him out of the hall just for that!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/feinsand/status/1331239839501611012?s=21

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Rays get worse!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Guess they weren't lying about "aggressively pursuing" him.

If no one pulls a Hamels, that's the rotation sorted for next year, especially once Soroka's back. Just need one more bat.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

drat that's nice! Gotta say Anthopolous is pretty proactive in immediately fixing whatever last year's problem was -- Donaldson to protect Freddie's bat after we had like Markakis hitting cleanup for most of a year; dropping cash and prospects to shore up the bullpen; now experienced rotation depth.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That's a really good get for the Braves, was hoping the Astros would go after him again

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Tanaka is going to get screwed in this FA market. Doubt he even gets 10 per.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/Cut4/status/1331252818196500485

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/cannonballcrner/status/1331256203758989318?s=21

Going to suck when he gets traded

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

lol Jim Crane is going to ride this "We can't compete because the league punished us" thing all the way to the moon

https://twitter.com/michaelschwab13/status/1331101752985329665

At least I'll get to see some fanbase or another do backflips to justify why he totally rules now that he's on their team

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Why? WHY?! Whyyyyyy oh god why :cry:

I hope that this happened because he didn't want to come up north, but if it happened because Atlanta outbid everyone else, then I hope the Mets lose every single game that he starts.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

lol Jim Crane is going to ride this "We can't compete because the league punished us" thing all the way to the moon

https://twitter.com/michaelschwab13/status/1331101752985329665

At least I'll get to see some fanbase or another do backflips to justify why he totally rules now that he's on their team
The Astros plan to avoid consequences by dispersing the cheating players across the league is going to work wonders

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

The Astros plan to avoid consequences by dispersing the cheating players across the league is going to work wonders

Dusty doesn't deserve this. Hopefully he can go elsewhere or just retire

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Their cynical use of Dusty as a shield is also working well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

IMO if the Astros trade Correa they might as well just blow it all up since they are going to let Springer walk. That's a big chunk of offense gone between those two.