Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The extent to which rockstar openly hates the people who play their games online is constantly stunning to me, and not a little bit inspiring. If they can get that far with open contempt towards their audience perhaps we all have a chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah I've noticed a decrease in legendaries lately as well. Course last night I found the ghost panther out near the butcher factory outside of Saint Denis, that was fun. Went looking for a collectible, saw a panther take down a doe. That's cool, I'll just tranq the cat.

Oh poo poo another panther in the bushes to my left oh gently caress

oh poo poo one behind me what the hell oh no

I get the third one sleeping and get sidelined by STREAK OF WHITE ANGRY CAT :froggonk:

Ayup. Wandered NW out of StD to go murk gators, murked the revenooer roadblock at the bridge, but as I was looting, I kept hearing Spicy Kitty. Didn't see the Legendary marker, so I kept looting and gatoring, watching for my lil' materials buddy.

Aha! Spotted him... wait, gold marker a bit off his bearing? First kitty comes at me, and I spot a second one inbound (the one that kills me). Respawn, run in, revenge myself, but still a marker out there... just barely spot Snowball in the weeds, camera comes out and apparently used X-ray mode to get the pic through a bunch of cattails and poo poo.

So *now* the thing comes at me. Takes a few hits, murders me, what a surprise. Respawn nearby, manage to find his tracks for that checkmark, shoot/die/respawn again, couple more shots while he's charging and he decides to gently caress off but not 100%, because he was charging again when he took the last shot (buckshot) in the face.

Actually like the white kitty hoodie better than the spotty one. :v:

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I went back for one more bite at the legendary apple after my drunk meltdown hunting legendaries. I think there is definitely a 72 hour respawn wait timer when something spawns as I got the Onyx wolf to pop almost immediately after 72 hours from the last encounter.

...Well, it sorta "popped". I got the notification that a legendary animal was nearby. I went over after using legendary pheremones and it was just a bunch of regular wolves. I killed them all and then got a notice that the Onyx wolf "escaped". It never loving appeared, there was no trail in deadeye and I shot dead all the wolves that did show up. I uninstalled immediately so I wouldn't be tempted to waste my time again. Maybe I'll check back again if they ever unfuck free roam legendaries, but that was like 12-14 hours of camping over 3 days just wasted due to yet another bug. Nope, gently caress you rockstar. I wish I hadn't come back to check out naturalist, I left the game on a high note before after normal burnout. :(

Edit: VVV They were on the edge of a cliff/plateau, there was no other place for him to spawn and no other gold icon appeared after I got in range. I was watching that minimap like a loving hawk. According to Reddit there's an issue where he'll spawn underground so I'm guessing that's what happened.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 4, 2020

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Swarms like the usually are between you and the legendary - I get that with coyotes and foxes, especially around Strawberry. Gotta power through in the direction of the radar-marker, and the gold pawprint will pop.

Kinda hard with wolves and the general horse response, though, Deadeye 'em and leave 'em for the crows, since you can't deadeye legendaries.

Runnin' muthafuckas will *run* though. Legendary Elk up at Colter? Hey. let's head all the way south to the railroad, hang a left and eventually leave the tracks just past Cotorra Spring, where I finally murdered my *sample* target because I was so pissed. Fucker kept outrunning my camera, too.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Camping legendaries--instead of just running across them while doing other things--seems like a really good fast way to burn out on RDO.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Trustworthy posted:

Camping legendaries--instead of just running across them while doing other things--seems like a really good fast way to burn out on RDO.

Oh definitely. As mentioned I had already burned out on most of the other content so that was the main draw back for me - legendary hunts were one of my favorite parts of single player and I was hoping for more stuff like that. Instead I got the Korean MMO-style grind version of it

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Finally got around to digging out that Reddit post on Legendary spawns and such. Some things may have changed in the patches since original post, but I'm betting a lot still applies.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RedDeadOnline/comments/ijya2x/managing_and_controlling_legendary_animal_spawns/

Also: Tuesday, making a delivery run from my Heartlands camp, up by the dreamcatcher tree, and heard the Tatanka - kept going. Gone when I got back, of course. Wednesday, angry bison noises again, went and shot it full of bolt-action holes, so the 3-day-cooldown might not apply if you don't actually *lose* the drat thing.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My solution is to barely give a gently caress about naturalist.

I unlocked the garment sets I wanted (black wolf, black cougar, a bear and a few others I happened across). Now when I see a legendary, if it's something easy to kill like the bison I murder it and feed its pelt or corpse to Cripps, or if it's a predator I leave it alone because those are annoying.

Sampling animals and getting full collections of samples to sell is among the worst gameplay RDO has to offer.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
So apparently using fast travel while not on your horse will leave your horse in the place you traveled from.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

spaced ninja posted:

So apparently using fast travel while not on your horse will leave your horse in the place you traveled from.

Ehn, not always. It was bad for a while post-Naturalist, where your horse had a tendency to get left behind whether you were on it or not, but that seems rare anymore. Haven't seen a lot of "no horse on arrival" when walking up to fast-travel, like, ever, where you couldn't just whistlespawn it.

The only fast-travel I've found that guarantees no horse on arrival is my moonshine shack down south of the Macfarlane Ranch plateau, and whistlespawn does the trick.

Last night was amusing - ride off to murder a legendary for Cripps, roll up on a Mud Runner spawn point. "Welp, not this one, where's the next one?" Open the map, check my second monitor, select my target location, close map.

Mud Runner just grazing fifty feet in front of me.

Bigass load of materials there, a whole gold buck carcass. :whatup:

Spawnjinx 2: Electrical Rodeo: Headed over to the oil field to deadeye assholes for the daily, swapped to metal detector just to check for loot first... and the revenooer roadblock just south of there popped in as I got started.

Harvesting revenooers never gets old - it can be obnoxious difficult sometimes (certain Moonshiner story missions), but roadblocks are usually a casual deadeyefest. (Or Carcano. :snypa:)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I've only been playing a short while, I reached chapter 2 so the game has opened up and will let me go do stuff but should I?

It kinda suggests I can go hunt animals to fuel the camp or w/e, making it feel like there are some other objectives I might want to chase, but without direction it feels like I should probably just keep bouncing from mission to mission without much between? I'm not real sure.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Ygolonac posted:

Finally got around to digging out that Reddit post on Legendary spawns and such. Some things may have changed in the patches since original post, but I'm betting a lot still applies.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RedDeadOnline/comments/ijya2x/managing_and_controlling_legendary_animal_spawns/

Also: Tuesday, making a delivery run from my Heartlands camp, up by the dreamcatcher tree, and heard the Tatanka - kept going. Gone when I got back, of course. Wednesday, angry bison noises again, went and shot it full of bolt-action holes, so the 3-day-cooldown might not apply if you don't actually *lose* the drat thing.

...Oh my loving god. The 72 hour cooldown explains it perfectly. It was probably just over 72 hours to the hour when the wolf respawned. All that time I rode around looking there was literally 0 chance to get it :lol: :suicide:. Which knowing that... and all those dumb bullshit never-stated-anywhere tricks it actually might not be that hard getting the legendary to spawn (assuming solo lobby and all the other tricks and stuff you need to exploit). But they don't tell you any of this poo poo anywhere. They could also, I don't know... give you a warning like they do in SP that the animal you're looking for isn't available in that area.

This takes it from like a 9/10 in dumb bullshit to a 5/10. Thanks for posting that.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Yeah, the SP warning would be perfect - "oh hey, no Zizi 'round here, time to gently caress off to St Denis and snipe people from the rooftops for the "evade the law fox x time" challenge..."

Instead, you get "no (whatever) access at your camp because of activity" and you're standing around trying to figure out WTF because nobody's anywhere within radar distance.

I just wanted to give Cripps a bunch of shotgunned squirrels...

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Does anyone know if the Bison (Tatanka) coats make your headshot hitbox bigger? Or is it just considered a hat? I'm wondering if people may whiff headshots more with one of those ridiculously huge garments on...

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Hakarne posted:

Does anyone know if the Bison (Tatanka) coats make your headshot hitbox bigger? Or is it just considered a hat? I'm wondering if people may whiff headshots more with one of those ridiculously huge garments on...

I honestly don't know (comedy option: "put yours on and let's find out! :clint:") but I don't think they'd count as hats, since you can't swap them out separately from the coat itself.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
Does this game just break every few months or what? I started back at it about two months ago and it was great just from low server population.

Past few weeks things have felt super busy in a bad way, and half my usual passive solo missions get griefed by other players. Had someone camping out at a local delivery yesterday who promptly blew my wagon up, then someone else swooped in to loot the people I'd just spent the last few minutes killing.

In general a lot of the "old" glitches seem back too. For instance, camp not appearing reliably when you summon / move it.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
And at something over 220 days, my daily streak has ended - got home from work, kicked back to watch an ep of Mandalorian, did my daily ad-grind for another game, and...

Fell asleep.

12 minutes past the deadline, I wake up. <sigh>

Also, the Tatanka bison spawned in near my camp even before I could make a stew, it really loves Cripps and is enamored of being parted out for him. Maybe it has a Fetlife account, I dunno...

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

GeorgieMordor posted:

Does this game just break every few months or what?

Yes

Ygolonac posted:

And at something over 220 days, my daily streak has ended - got home from work, kicked back to watch an ep of Mandalorian, did my daily ad-grind for another game, and...

Fell asleep.

12 minutes past the deadline, I wake up. <sigh>

Also, the Tatanka bison spawned in near my camp even before I could make a stew, it really loves Cripps and is enamored of being parted out for him. Maybe it has a Fetlife account, I dunno...

Sorry partner, should have set an alarm for your virtual job :smug:

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Agent355 posted:

I've only been playing a short while, I reached chapter 2 so the game has opened up and will let me go do stuff but should I?

It kinda suggests I can go hunt animals to fuel the camp or w/e, making it feel like there are some other objectives I might want to chase, but without direction it feels like I should probably just keep bouncing from mission to mission without much between? I'm not real sure.

Play until the mission when you get the fishing pole, then you’re free to gently caress off and do whatever you like. There’s no ticking clock. For the most part you can also do all the side poo poo after the story if you like, up to you

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

GeorgieMordor posted:

Does this game just break every few months or what? I started back at it about two months ago and it was great just from low server population.

Past few weeks things have felt super busy in a bad way, and half my usual passive solo missions get griefed by other players. Had someone camping out at a local delivery yesterday who promptly blew my wagon up, then someone else swooped in to loot the people I'd just spent the last few minutes killing.

In general a lot of the "old" glitches seem back too. For instance, camp not appearing reliably when you summon / move it.

High player population servers break poo poo, as was all but confirmed a while ago. If you're on the PC however, you can use this trick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_lPsAj5irM

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Only actual gameplay bug I've experienced recently was a moonshine run going infinite-load. The one prior to that was a Harriet mission that transported me to the starting location, but never left the loading-screen cycle of images. You can shoot, move, open the map of escape to the main menu, but you just have the random image stream for visuals.

I've actually has a moonshiner loading screen time out and kick me back to the open world, a couple times.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

If my horse always shows up covered in dirt when I first summon it out of the Horse Ether, is that a sign of something? Is it underfed?

Also, has anyone run into the glitch where general daily challenge list doesn't update at the 7PM EST changeover? The role challenges all do, but the general challenge list stays the same until I restart the game.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Dick Jones posted:

If my horse always shows up covered in dirt when I first summon it out of the Horse Ether, is that a sign of something? Is it underfed?

Also, has anyone run into the glitch where general daily challenge list doesn't update at the 7PM EST changeover? The role challenges all do, but the general challenge list stays the same until I restart the game.

brush it?

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Mandrel posted:

brush it?

That's the first thing I do when my horse arrives, but if it despawns for any reason it shows up filthy the next time I whistle for it. What am I even paying these stable fees for?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think Naturalist either changed or broke something about how horses get dirty because they seem to get dirty much faster

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Dick Jones posted:

I go back to the online menu and load one of the free roam options or camp and it figures itself out.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Edit: when I said "7pm EST changeover" I really meant "1am EST changeover". I was using Earth Body 4-harmonic corner time (like a dumby!).

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Horses are happy to roll around in the dirt like any other dog. Game just doesn't show it.

Verified: accidentally killing fish via horse-stomping does *not* reset Hazrriet's "don't kill animals for 24 hours" daily.

(It's a typo, but she's a drat hazmat site, gassing you for not getting et by carnivores, so I'll keep it.)

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Ygolonac posted:

Horses are happy to roll around in the dirt like any other dog. Game just doesn't show it

Sometimes you'll see your horse lying down in the dirt at Bonnie's ranch when you do a mission for her :3:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If you watch wild horses from a distance with a scope or binoculars you can see them sometimes roll around or lie down.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://i.imgur.com/qUhL34y.mp4

zhar
May 3, 2019

Going to finally get this game as I'll have a system that can run it. Are there any QoL or visual mods that are worth getting?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The vanilla experience is really good and worth doing at least once. I first played on PS4 and when I did my second 100% playthrough on PC all I added was a trainer to add in the RDO content and to spawn poo poo and teleport around because the rest of the game held up real well and I just wanted to save some time on the grinds.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/GameLeaksRumors/status/1330155217850077186

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

oh poo poo

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Mannn could we finally get RDR1 on pc?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Shoehead posted:

Mannn could we finally get RDR1 on pc?

:pray:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/61801/get-red-dead-online-as-a-standalone-game-on-december-1st

December 1st you can buy RDO as a standalone for 5bux. Plus the Bounty Hunter role will be expanded, have an additional 10 ranks and there'll be a 100 level outlaw pass.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
content coming real fast now after like 6 months of dead silence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rockstar weren't the best communicators already and I think the problem was made worse with covid.