Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
fuckin lol

https://twitter.com/jacobmercy/status/1331038070888685570

https://twitter.com/jacobmercy/status/1331052676180656133

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

more twilight for men

while that’s obviously hot garbage i never understood the appeal of so many - or any, for that matter - pop culture references. theyre boring, lazy writing, sure, but i always find that they instantly take me out of the book

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I literally just saw that and cracked the gently caress up, I had to pause. hilarious

always happy to see a justified reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clgNsC48ln0

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

that's like reading a Wikipedia article

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

bump_fn posted:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
welp

https://twitter.com/pourmecoffee/status/1331012108272668673

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
cool, new obelisk just dropped

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lol

so is this one all about the 90s

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
no still mostly 80s

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
it gets worse

https://twitter.com/jacobmercy/status/1331102974240645120

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So ernest cline is definitely into unbirth/mpreg stuff then right

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

that's like reading a Wikipedia article

cline is pop culture fishmech without the subtlety

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sagebrush posted:

So ernest cline is definitely into unbirth/mpreg stuff then right

i think whatever algorithm sentiment bot trained on wikipedia picked it up as a 3.27% sub-topic affinity is

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/raddishh/status/1331282417710198784?s=21

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

bump_fn posted:

FX puts out some quality shows.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
in that last ep of fargo i liked the little touch of the smirk on the dead cop's face

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

what

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
We can’t blame Ernest Cline for his obvious mental illness. We can only blame the loving dipshit idiot fucks who consume the expression of his disease

eh at least his heart’s in the right place regarding gender stuff

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
otoh, you do not, in fact, have to hand it to him

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

thanks to years of surfing the oni-net, i

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
a coworker recommended I read rp1 so I did and it was real bad. I told him and then we got in an argument about name of the wind and I’ve never been more ashamed to have read these things and argue about them

my dune read is stalled again because I just don’t have time to read. maybe with this holiday hahahaha right?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
you should read Ninefox Gambit and its sequels instead, OP

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fart Sandwiches posted:

a coworker recommended I read rp1 so I did and it was real bad. I told him and then we got in an argument about name of the wind and I’ve never been more ashamed to have read these things and argue about them

my dune read is stalled again because I just don’t have time to read. maybe with this holiday hahahaha right?

lol the kingkiller chronicle, I wonder if he'll ever finish that

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

infernal machines posted:

also i hate to plug a mike nelson (chud-lite) joint but if you don't want to expose yourself to the source material and love awful awful books 372 pages we'll never get back is an alright podcast

you are encouraged to laugh at the ignorance of the hosts as well (by me)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i was thinking about starting Gideon the Ninth next, space necromancer swordfighting sounds fun

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i was thinking about starting Gideon the Ninth next, space necromancer swordfighting sounds fun

i just read that, not bad tbh, not like, high lit or whatever, but fun read

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

is it ever!

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

also i hate to plug a mike nelson (chud-lite) joint but if you don't want to expose yourself to the source material and love awful awful books 372 pages we'll never get back is an alright podcast

I Don't Even Own A Television is better and also has a rp1 ep

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

you are encouraged to laugh at the ignorance of the hosts as well (by me)

i listened to this long before i had any concept of mike nelson's politics, and it's good

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

qirex posted:

lol the kingkiller chronicle, I wonder if he'll ever finish that

patrick rothfuss is too busy writing his own fanfic about having sex with Tom Bombadill and jacking off to it. it's never getting finished but given how absolutely embarrasing book 2 was, it's for the best. jesus what a piece of poo poo that was.
https://web.archive.org/web/20170505100745/http://www.unboundworlds.com/cage-match-2017/cage-match-2017-round-4-tom-bombadil-vs-devi/

quote:

While Tom bustled about, Goldberry and Devi did most of the talking. Devi was surprised to discover the tall, elegant woman was startlingly clever in addition to being warm and welcoming. She laughed easily, looked Devi boldly in the eye, and made cutting and insightful remarks about current policy coming out of Minas Tirith. The bottoms of her feet were stained bright green from running in the grass.

At some point Devi realized that she had been talking with Goldberry for some time, and hadn’t even realized that Tom had left on an errand and not come back inside.

Devi looked out the window then, spying the brightly dressed man running around the green lawn outside, his beard flying behind him like a flag.

“Is…” Devi asked slowly as she leaned forward a bit, narrowing her eyes. “Is he actually…?”

“Tickling the bumblebees that buzz among the flowers?” Goldberry said. “Yes.”

“Literally?” Devi asked.

Goldberry smiled. “Literally.”

Devi looked back at her. She said nothing, but she said it fairly loudly.

“I prefer sudoku.” Goldberry said with an easy smile and a shrug. “But if it makes him happy….”

There was a moment of silence before Devi drew a deep breath and said, “I’m sorry. But I just have to ask…” she trailed off but looked Goldberry up and down frankly, gesturing to her wide eyes, flowing hair, and the sort of body that could make a dish towel look elegant, let alone the silver-green dress that lay on her more like a sheet of water than any sort of cloth Devi had ever…

Devi pulled her eyes away, to look pointedly out the window at the brightly dressed, bearded man whistling and frolicking on the front lawn.

Goldberry smiled warmly at Devi. “I like the way he sings to me,” she said simply, with a small, almost bashful smile. “He cares for me, and I feel safe around him.” She looked out the window again, and when she looked at Tom, her face practically glowed. “And he has a wonderful laugh.”

“I can’t argue with that,” Devi lifted her teacup and the two women clinked glasses.

There was another moment of silence. Before Devi added, “He must be really hung though, right?”

Goldberry smiled again, looking at Devi over the edge of her teacup. But this time her eyes were more wanton than warm. “I have no complaints.”

Despite herself, Devi blushed, and Goldberry gave a low, throaty chuckle as she pursed her lips and blew on her tea before sipping it.

After that their talk was easier. Fifteen minutes later, when Tom still hadn’t returned, Goldberry brought out a slim silver hip flask from a holster on her garter, exposing a scandalous amount of leg in the process. Devi was worried it would be some sort of syrupy-sweet flower liquor, but it turned out to be quite a nice single-malt scotch.

They disagreed about which Star Wars movie was the best, but it turned out they both hated The Secret to an almost religious degree. Devi ranted about the double standards at the University, and Goldberry brought up Paglia and how ridiculous it was to expect any sort of gender equality in a place like this, but it was still better than in the Iron Hills. Then they had a nice argument about intersectionality where they were both pretty much on the same side, but neither one of them wanted to admit it as they were both having a good time bickering.

After Devi got the inside story on what had really happened to the entwives, Goldberry leaned forward and shook the flask again.

Devi sighed and shook her head regretfully, “I shouldn’t I’m here for…” She stopped and looked out the window, but Tom was nowhere to be seen. She cocked her head and couldn’t hear him either.

Goldberry chuckled again and tipped another splash into Devi’s teacup. “Don’t ask when he’ll be home, because I don’t know.” Leaning back, she sipped directly from the neck of the flask. She licked her lips. “What’s the nature of this fight you two are supposed to have, anyway?”

“Hell if I know,” Devi said. “We’re paired off against each other. That’s all I know.”

“What’s the nature of the competition?” Goldberry asked. “Do the two of you need to fight? What are the rules?”

Devi laughed bitterly, “Ill-defined doesn’t begin to cover it. It’s just… a competition.” She shrugged. “I’m a good negotiator. I’d hoped to sweet-talk Tom into forfeiting.”

Goldberry snorted indelicately. “Not likely. Tom’s songs are the strongest songs, remember?”

Devi nodded. “I didn’t have high hopes. It’s really hard to get a handle on a man who actually doesn’t seem to crave… well… anything. Like power or money.”

“I got a handle on him,” Goldberry said lewdly, arching an eyebrow. “Wasn’t too hard.”

“Phrasing,” Devi said. “And besides, how hard did you really have to work? There’s only, like, eight women in this whole world…”

“Tell me about it,” Goldberry said, staring pointedly at Devi.

Devi opened her mouth to say something. She realized then she wasn’t sure what to say. She closed her mouth.

Goldberry sipped demurely from the flask. Her expression as clear and sweet as springwater. Her eyes were very wide and bright.

Devi cleared her throat. “Ah. *Ahem*. So. Tom. Sometimes he is gone for long while?”

“He is,” Goldberry said. “How would you feel about staying the night?”

Devi sipped from her cup again to give herself a moment to collect her thoughts. “I think I would like that.”

“I would like that too,” Goldberry said. “If you’d like, I could make up a bed for you here.” She gestured to the room where they’d been eating. “Or you could join me in my room.” She stood and gestured to what Devi could only assume wass the bedroom door. And when no response was forthcoming, added: “The bed is nicer there.”

Devi nodded. “And… Tom?”

Goldberry laughed and held up her hands. “Do you see any rings on these fingers?”

Devi laughed at that, shaking her head. “And if he comes home?”

“Wise Tom Bombadil,” Goldberry sang gently to a familiar tune. “He is a worldly fellow. He’ll hang his boots elsewhere tonight, and his jacket yellow.”

Devi took a deep breath and came to her feet, too. “And tomorrow?” she asked, though at this point, the cage match wasn’t much of a concern.

“Well,” Goldberry said as she took Devi gently by the hand. “I imagine tomorrow we will talk. And perhaps you can negotiate. And if you’re as clever as I’ve heard, I’m sure you might be able to imagine some type of competition more pleasant than fighting.” Goldberry drew Devi close, she smelled of sunlight and sweat, and the flowers in her hair. “There are many types of prowess, after all.”

PREDICTED WINNER: ALL OF US, REALLY

Xaris fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 25, 2020

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Jenny Agutter posted:

read a bunch of stanisław Lem this year and as a result I recommend reading stanisław Lem

I discovered the guy last year and holy poo poo, it's an amazing mixture of soviet space age ideas (having a single rocket to go around the universe, for example), science fiction (With respect to unusual aliens and science in the mortal engines series of stories) and pure loving amazing humour.

The only writer aside from Pratchett that makes me laugh uncontrollably, physically, out loud, in public spaces

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

just finished Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

extremely good

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

just finished Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

extremely good

yeah it's a good movie

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

alexandriao posted:

I discovered the guy last year and holy poo poo, it's an amazing mixture of soviet space age ideas (having a single rocket to go around the universe, for example), science fiction (With respect to unusual aliens and science in the mortal engines series of stories) and pure loving amazing humour.

The only writer aside from Pratchett that makes me laugh uncontrollably, physically, out loud, in public spaces

yeah his translator is top loving notch

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Sweevo posted:

I Don't Even Own A Television is better and also has a rp1 ep

i am a glutton for punishment so will check this out

sort of related from another thread someone suggested verhoeven should have come out of retirement to make the movie instead of that hack spielberg

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I got my pawn shop playstation 2 out and I'm playing the original Yakuza. it's fun to play the very first kiryu

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Xaris posted:

patrick rothfuss is too busy writing his own fanfic about having sex with Tom Bombadill and jacking off to it. it's never getting finished but given how absolutely embarrasing book 2 was, it's for the best. jesus what a piece of poo poo that was.
https://web.archive.org/web/20170505100745/http://www.unboundworlds.com/cage-match-2017/cage-match-2017-round-4-tom-bombadil-vs-devi/

the only things I remember about book 2 are 1) he gets captured by an angry forest nymph but he’s so good at sex she lets him go [and gives him an invisibility cloak?] and 2) he goes to learn spartan kung fu and gets a magic sword even though he cheats to pass their trials

this series taught me the term “gary sue”

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

qirex posted:

the only things I remember about book 2 are 1) he gets captured by an angry forest nymph but he’s so good at sex she lets him go [and gives him an invisibility cloak?] and 2) he goes to learn spartan kung fu and gets a magic sword even though he cheats to pass their trials

this series taught me the term “gary sue”

this is correct but don't forget that the reason the life-sucking fae nymph lets him go is because he's so good at sex that she cant believe he was a virgin giving how good at sex he is but he convinces her to let him go so he can go find out if the sex was good and then come back to her to contrast and compare; and then he goes to learn magical tribe warrior combat sex skills from an elite tribe exclusively made up of tall amazonian warrior women and they all have sex because he's so good at it and teach him to become super powerful

loving rothfuss is garbage holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol they taught him how to give death by snu snu