Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Krakkles posted:

Yep. It’s great. I haven’t used it enough to gauge how long a battery actually lasts but it seems ample. Heats up quick, angles for access, has an indicator to tell you when it’s cooled down.

The one dent seems to be that the light is slightly misplaced and blocked by the tip, but I never find lights on tools to work that well anyway.

Awesome.
I was wondering about some mediocre reviews I saw, but I thought they were comparing it to a bench iron vs a portable. It probably won't compare to a bench iron, but that's not what it's for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

boxen posted:

Awesome.
I was wondering about some mediocre reviews I saw, but I thought they were comparing it to a bench iron vs a portable. It probably won't compare to a bench iron, but that's not what it's for.
Yeah, it’s definitely not what I would use for a big project, because that’s what my Weller bench iron is for. A couple quick repairs in the vehicle, or carrying it with me to rescue someone? Absolutely.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

StormDrain posted:

Just a few PSI more
Than what the sticker says
I'm inflating in the dark
Trying to get to work

Pothole has taken my tire
Taken my rim
Taken my hub
Taken my studs
Taken my arms
Left me with stranded in hell

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
All my wheels were rolling.
Till I hit that big pothole
Now ones gone on the road behind

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

boxen posted:

Soldering iron chat: Has anyone tried out Milwaukee's M12 soldering iron? I used a butane soldering iron at an old job, and and they always sucked... clogged tips, unreliable gas feed, took a lot of fiddling sometimes and I didn't have the skill. Milwaukee's stuff is generally pretty solid.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Specialty-Tools/Heating-Tools/2488-20

There's also a M18 heat gun, if you want to go full red team.

I'd still just get a TS100. They're cheaper, use any batteries from 12-24v that you can cram wires into (or buy/build an adapter from a burned out tool), and are really nice to use. I didn't realize how crappy my old Weller soldering gun was until I got one. Full warm up time for a 12v battery is 40 seconds. My 18v batteries do it in about 15 seconds.

Renegade Apple repairman Louis Rossmann used to recommend people just getting into electronics repair get a chinese Hakko station clone but now recommends a TS100 and a decent power supply for benchtop work, and its portable. Overly long video if you don't value your time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao39bPEyok4

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Piling onto Impact Chat from a few pages ago- I got to use my 1/2" DeWalt cordless impact the other day to remove a rusty brake caliper bolt from a WRX. It was the first time I've needed to use an impact U-joint since I bought the U-joint, and I think it was also the first time that my impact has successfully moved something that wasn't already destined to snap or strip in the first place. Holy poo poo did I just laugh uncontrollably when it happened. "Low setting didn't move it. Well, gently caress it, I'll just set the torque to max and see what happens." BRAAAAAP-ziiiing, bolt is off and in perfect condition.

gently caress Subaru for putting the upper bolt right next to an unrelated perpendicular bolt, though. Had to do that one by hand. :(

It also drastically cuts the time necessary for a seasonal wheel swap. A couple light braps on the low setting gets the lug nuts to just under the required torque. 10/10.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Any recommendations for a creeper? I don't use them, but I've been asked about them. I have no idea what a good one is, but I think I now have a good idea for a Christmas present.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Any recommendations for a creeper? I don't use them, but I've been asked about them. I have no idea what a good one is, but I think I now have a good idea for a Christmas present.

If you're willing to spend like $150 you (they) want a Whiteside MTL2UP.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Whatever large cardboard box you have handy and flattened out. I think mine is a TV box—nice and thick, good padding

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

It's not so much the creeper but more so the surface it's on. I have a MTLV6 equal while my father had the bone creeper, which were great on the smooth concrete garage floor. A rougher surface was either cardboard or Lisle foldouts.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Anyone have strong opinions about code reader dongles for iPhones? I'm thinking about buying one for a friend. She doesn't work on her car but now that her teenage son has his own shitbox, something that can tell the difference between "do not drive except to a mechanic" and "ain't nothin' to lose sleep over" would be very useful for her.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Anyone have strong opinions about code reader dongles for iPhones? I'm thinking about buying one for a friend. She doesn't work on her car but now that her teenage son has his own shitbox, something that can tell the difference between "do not drive except to a mechanic" and "ain't nothin' to lose sleep over" would be very useful for her.

ODB2 codes don't tell you that. They are vague indications of where to start looking. The only "do not drive except to a mechanic" is when the MIL (check engine light) is flashing and then you probably shouldn't even be driving it to the mechanic.

Turns out diagnostics aren't that easy. Who knew?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Honestly, I use this more often than my Bluetooth dongle because it's faster than figuring out why it's not pairing or the connection keeps dropping (fun fact, the one for my BMW doesn't work if I'm wearing my Fitbit!).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LHVOVK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_KdjVFb54NGJPE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Having gone through several, this one has been the most reliable:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00WPW6BAE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_4gjVFbEPWX78P?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It has to be WiFi if you want to use with an iPhone, Android will work with BT though.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Anything that has some sort of support for the head and neck so you can rest it while working but still elevate it above the rest of the creeper. My neck muscles are always the first to complain while laying under a car.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I have a creeper opinion: don't get the cheap ones made of injection molded plastic that looks like this:
I've seen two of them fail in the same way, where the plastic cracks right where the wheels attach.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Motronic posted:

ODB2 codes don't tell you that. They are vague indications of where to start looking. The only "do not drive except to a mechanic" is when the MIL (check engine light) is flashing and then you probably shouldn't even be driving it to the mechanic.

yeah for instance my stupid loving car flashes a CAT Bank 1 error code when it needs a new thermostat, how helpful

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Invalido posted:

I have a creeper opinion: don't get the cheap ones made of injection molded plastic that looks like this:
I've seen two of them fail in the same way, where the plastic cracks right where the wheels attach.

I've broken my mate's one in exactly that way. After he warned me, because he broke his first one that way.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Motronic posted:

Eh, I'd lean more towards "it depends". Twice I've have a flashing cel because of a "multiple misfire" right after my right and left feet not synchronizing as I let out the clutch and almost stalling. On the other hand, I used to have a solid cel for a cylinder 8 misfire accompanied by a code for a problem with that particular coil pack which not only narrows possibilities down considerably, but let's me know I can continue driving to my destination, but should probably fix things quicker than if it was an evap leak.

If nothing else, it would give the teen something to google while he's waiting for a tow truck.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've got that red one, wonder when my fat rear end is going to collapse it. Guess I'll just use it till it loses a wheel...

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've have a Craftsman red folding creeper that goes from chair to creeper that's held up great, I've had it for over 10 years. I think this makes it heavier than a normal creeper and a bit more of a pain to maneuver when you're lying on it, but I use it as a chair more than a creeper anyway (of course you're asking for a creeper, not a chair). I couldn't find it online though, they may have stopped selling it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I've had this convertible one for a few years, no complaints at all.

https://smile.amazon.com/Pro-Lift-C-2036D-Grey-Z-Creeper-Seat/dp/B00826OVWW/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=z+creeper&qid=1606243348&sr=8-2

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

I've been looking at that since it's available on German Amazon, cheap and looks sturdy. What I really want is a creeper that converts into a reclining chair. Bro has a lift in his garage where I do car work, but the ceiling height isn't enough to stand upright under any vehicle. Most of the time I scoot around on a height adjustable stool on wheels which isn't too bad, but a creeper that could recline the backrest at various angles would be nice. Working above my head isn't great and sitting down makes it worse I think. Also if it's $100 rather than $600 that would be cool too, and available in europe.

Of course what I really want is this thing but it's not even close to within my price range:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVaLBX5T060

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It's only 20k, you poor.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I can see myself launching my head through a floorboard.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Invalido posted:

I've been looking at that since it's available on German Amazon, cheap and looks sturdy. What I really want is a creeper that converts into a reclining chair. Bro has a lift in his garage where I do car work, but the ceiling height isn't enough to stand upright under any vehicle. Most of the time I scoot around on a height adjustable stool on wheels which isn't too bad, but a creeper that could recline the backrest at various angles would be nice. Working above my head isn't great and sitting down makes it worse I think. Also if it's $100 rather than $600 that would be cool too, and available in europe.

Of course what I really want is this thing but it's not even close to within my price range:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVaLBX5T060

Have you considered putting wheels on a patio chaise lounge?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

drat another thing I now need that I didn't even know existed

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Cat Hatter posted:

Eh, I'd lean more towards "it depends". Twice I've have a flashing cel because of a "multiple misfire" right after my right and left feet not synchronizing as I let out the clutch and almost stalling. On the other hand, I used to have a solid cel for a cylinder 8 misfire accompanied by a code for a problem with that particular coil pack which not only narrows possibilities down considerably, but let's me know I can continue driving to my destination, but should probably fix things quicker than if it was an evap leak.

If nothing else, it would give the teen something to google while he's waiting for a tow truck.

So I acknowledge that I used a bit too much hyberbole, but my experience has been that a code reader + Google will usually give me a rough sense of what's likely to be going on. My kid's old Subaru through a couple difference exhaust-related codes over its life, and it was always pretty clear that it was fine for them to drive the car back and forth to work while we waited for a mechanic to have time to look at it. When my Miata threw a code for the cam position sensor, that for me was a "drive only to mechanic" code.

Uthor, Krakkles, thanks for the recommendations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Those little code readers can be a lifesaver, I have one because you basically have to to get real battery data if you have a Leaf, because gently caress Nissan.

It's come in handy though, my former roomate's Focus went into limp mode on the highway, not shifting, slipping in 2nd gear etc.

He got home, and 15 minutes and some google later and I diagnosed it to one of the shift solenoid that was $40 and an hour of work to fix. More than paid for itself there.

As mentioned before, things like misfires and simple electrical problems it's just invaluable for, if you're somewhat patient and handy.

"Take it to a mechanic or it's about to explode" issues usually don't throw a CEL, or don't throw one until your valves are knocked around a little and the engine's junk, and require actual troubleshooting, problem analysis and knowledge of how car engines work to sort out

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm a huge fan of the elm327 ones (make sure it's wifi if you have apple, otherwise bluetooth) and use them regularly to make sure my CEL is only on because it's a Subaru (P0420, P044x, P045x) not because something serious is actually happening.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Cat Hatter posted:

Have you considered putting wheels on a patio chaise lounge?

I have. Except I think they're too big. I'd never get my feet down for effective scooting. Something like a gym bench for pressing and whatnot is probably more like what I'd try to modify. There's really no upper limit to how ambitious such a project could become though and I don't have infinite time for such things sadly, so I'll probably live with the stool unless I stumble upon a suitable bench or something by accident. It's not like I spend so much time under cars that neck and shoulder pain is a real problem.
Also there's this thing I could get but it's $500 and I don't want one that badly.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

kastein posted:

I'm a huge fan of the elm327 ones (make sure it's wifi if you have apple, otherwise bluetooth) and use them regularly to make sure my CEL is only on because it's a Subaru (P0420, P044x, P045x) not because something serious is actually happening.

They're cheap and cheerful. I've heard some have problems? Mine's always been good, after being kinda a PITA to set up.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Elviscat posted:

They're cheap and cheerful. I've heard some have problems? Mine's always been good, after being kinda a PITA to set up.

I have a cheap bluetooth one that works fine and an even cheaper one that would stop communicating after a few minutes on my old Cherokee and no other car I've used it on.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Elviscat posted:

I've had no issues with mine. Even left it outside on a bench after working on the car once and it got filled with rainwater. Still works fine after drying out.

There are some values it isn't able to read but I'm not sure if it's a limitation of a 20 year old car or the reader. The important part with the codes works perfectly though to check and reset bullshit cods like the speed sensor failure or catalytic converter effectiveness (there was a small leak).

Zorak of Michigan posted:

So I acknowledge that I used a bit too much hyberbole, but my experience has been that a code reader + Google will usually give me a rough sense of what's likely to be going on. My kid's old Subaru through a couple difference exhaust-related codes over its life, and it was always pretty clear that it was fine for them to drive the car back and forth to work while we waited for a mechanic to have time to look at it. When my Miata threw a code for the cam position sensor, that for me was a "drive only to mechanic" code.

Uthor, Krakkles, thanks for the recommendations.
The cam position code on a miata is a "let it cool down and drive as normal" type of code :)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Invalido posted:

I have. Except I think they're too big. I'd never get my feet down for effective scooting. Something like a gym bench for pressing and whatnot is probably more like what I'd try to modify. There's really no upper limit to how ambitious such a project could become though and I don't have infinite time for such things sadly, so I'll probably live with the stool unless I stumble upon a suitable bench or something by accident. It's not like I spend so much time under cars that neck and shoulder pain is a real problem.
Also there's this thing I could get but it's $500 and I don't want one that badly.

when i worked at boeing they had all sorts of reclined, wheeled chairs for mechanics who worked down low on lower fuselage or wing assembly jobs. they definitely made a huge difference for people doing that kind of work for a whole shift.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

All this scooter talk has me thinking about a welding project because upturned home depot buckets aren't the finest. Casters, small tube, easy. Where would I find plasticy cushions from though?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

tuna posted:

All this scooter talk has me thinking about a welding project because upturned home depot buckets aren't the finest. Casters, small tube, easy. Where would I find plasticy cushions from though?

Sheet vinyl and foam from the fabric store stretched around and stapled to a wood backer board. Some pronged tee nuts hammered into the wood so you can attached the cushions to your frame with machine screws.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I just use my son's skateboard. Bonus I can turn.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Looking to get a set of impact sockets to complement my nut fucker 5000.

I see a tekton set on Amazon that I like the looks (price) of.

Are Tekton sockets a decent brand?
I've been checking out Lowes-depot and Canadian Tire websites and most of their sets stop at 15/16" sizes and I'm hoping for a few in the 1 inch plus size.
This one seems to fit the bill.

I don't want to buy princess auto brand sockets.

Also, I've been wondering for you European peeps, do your sockets and ratchets come in metric drive sizes? Like is your equivalent to our 1/2" drive referred to as a 12mm drive?

THis set specifically:
https://www.amazon.ca/TEKTON-4879-2...ps%2C180&sr=8-9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tekton are decent IME