Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

busalover posted:

It's supposed to be a budget gaming build. Initially I intended to spend € 150 each for GPU, CPU, MB, but the current prices suggest I'm not getting very far with that. The CPU currently can be had for € 209 where I live, the GPU for € 170, and the MB for € 123. The other GPU in that price range is the MSI GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER Aero ITX OC, but some comments suggested it's a bit loud, whereas the ASUS one seems to be ok? Anyway, that's what I read.

€ 170 for the GPU is basically my limit, and a CPU for below € 200 would be better. But I can live with those prices.

Yeah, I guess those prices aren't too bad all things considered. If you wanted to save a bit on the CPU, you might consider a 3300X. You really shouldn't be losing any frames going that route if either one's available for a better price. A 3100 is probably also pretty viable, but it does seem to lag behind a bit (Benchmarks).

I totally get being on a budget with the GPU, and I ended up with a 1650 Super for the same reasons. It honestly seems like the best choice for my gaming needs. That one does seem OK, and you'll probably do just fine with it (Review). It is worth looking around at what's available with the same chip though. If you're not restricted to the ITX format, longer cards tend to have better and quieter coolers. Sorry if I'm projecting my desires onto yours there, but I've just had too many noisy GPUs over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Primarily Gaming
What's your budget? Trying to stick to sub-$1,000
How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I don't play cutting edge games, mostly WoW and some shooters/etc, so I'm not looking to get overly fancy

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB DUAL EVO OC Video Card
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $604.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-24 15:52 EST-0500

EDIT: Better price showing for the 3600, changed the SSD & Power Supply based on feedback below.

I want to do a complete rebuild for this, so looking at it from the ground up. I've mostly based this on the "Modest AMD Build" from PCPP, specifically with a different case. I'm not sure if the graphics card is going to be hard to pick up, since it's showing out of stock. I have a couple of SSDs that I will probably transfer from my old setup, but going to leave most of it intact. Looking for any suggestions on these parts, or if I've got anything that looks like a turd listed on there. Not sure of which specific brands/etc to pick up of the parts, I see a lot of opinions bouncing around on specifics.

I'll likely grab a monitor as well so any recommendations would be great, but I can research that on my own once I settle on the core build.

I do live within range of a microcenter but I'm not sure what their status is as it's close to the city and ~virus~. Thanks for any feedback goons!

Lonely Bridge fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 24, 2020

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
As a general statement is it fair to say the 5800x is fine but isn’t the min/max option. I have a 3570k/970 that is struggling to run a game and play a YouTube video on chrome at the same time.

I would like to buy a new system at about 2k cad that could realistically run a 55 LGCX and would reach cpu end of life in 6 years.

Does anyone have a parts picker link for guidance? I have an rough idea where the value line is for most parts except the motherboard. I don’t need wifi or over clocking. And nothing I own at the moment uses USB C but that is the trend so it may be nice to have.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

MasterBuilder posted:

As a general statement is it fair to say the 5800x is fine but isn’t the min/max option. I have a 3570k/970 that is struggling to run a game and play a YouTube video on chrome at the same time.

I would like to buy a new system at about 2k cad that could realistically run a 55 LGCX and would reach cpu end of life in 6 years.

Does anyone have a parts picker link for guidance? I have an rough idea where the value line is for most parts except the motherboard. I don’t need wifi or over clocking. And nothing I own at the moment uses USB C but that is the trend so it may be nice to have.

The only problem with the 5800X is its pricing relative to the 5600X and 5900X. Its actual performance is great in a vacuum but it's too far above the 5600X and too close to the 5900X to be ~ideal~

Full disclosure: I bought a 5800X anyway because the 5900X is virtually vaporware and I wanted more cores than a 5600X.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Lonely Bridge posted:

I do live within range of a microcenter but I'm not sure what their status is as it's close to the city and ~virus~. Thanks for any feedback goons!
The $272 for a 3600 is not great value. That should be closer to $200, if you want to spend >$250 I would recommend either 3700X or trying to figure out how to get a 5600X.

Recommend the WD SN550 over the Samsung

If going for a gold PSU I would aim for Corsair/SeaSonic/EVGA rather than the pcpartspicker 'choose the cheapest' filter. If you want to stay in the same price range for budget the non-modular Corsair CX Bronze is the standard.

The video card is the most critical piece and for anything 1660 super and up it looks like supply is going crazy on pcpartspicker right now. The 1660 super is good value in your price range if you can get it for like $250 or less, but it seems that the cards listed for less than like $300 are getting snapped up right now. In that range I would think a RX 5600XT for ~300 would be worthwhile. It's probably not a common thread recommendation, but if your use case really is less demanding in the GPU range it might be worth considering a 580 or 5500XT if you can find one for ~180 if the 1660 super stock continues to be difficult.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

It's been nearly 6 years since I asked a previous version of this thread for advice on building a rig and here I am again. I'm using PCpartpicker and filling out all the blanks but I for the life of me cannot find a decent gpu that is in stock. I was looking for a GeForce RTX 3070 but apparently lol finding one?

Any advice goons or do I just have to hope something comes along on Black Friday.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

TheShadowAvatar posted:

It's been nearly 6 years since I asked a previous version of this thread for advice on building a rig and here I am again. I'm using PCpartpicker and filling out all the blanks but I for the life of me cannot find a decent gpu that is in stock. I was looking for a GeForce RTX 3070 but apparently lol finding one?

Any advice goons or do I just have to hope something comes along on Black Friday.

Monitor this: https://discord.gg/bjTSAYRQdJ

Specifically the #tracking-rtx-3070 section.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

MasterBuilder posted:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/jPYH99

This might help, it has my most recent PC build with reviews of all the parts and notes for alternatives to bring the price down in certain areas if you want.

Isn't that a 4K screen? If so you want an RTX 3080 for sure instead of the 3070 I got for 1080p/1440p.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

TheShadowAvatar posted:

If you live in Wisconsin and would like to drive to a Miwaukee PC, they have some stock at certain locations right now. Otherwise your best bet is to set up auto notification on the newegg app for the bundles.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=rtx+3070&N=31001489&isdeptsrh=1

And be logged in and ready to checkout with some sort of auto payment (apple pay).

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

sean10mm posted:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/jPYH99

This might help, it has my most recent PC build with reviews of all the parts and notes for alternatives to bring the price down in certain areas if you want.

Isn't that a 4K screen? If so you want an RTX 3080 for sure instead of the 3070 I got for 1080p/1440p.

Definitely eyeing the 3080 (if it was ever in stock). The 970 I currently have chugs and I have been putting off playing new games on my current 1440p screen because if fire related concerns.

Edit: sorry realize now you were talking about the 3070 on the parts picker list

MasterBuilder fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 24, 2020

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Do people like the Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 for cooling a 3700x? Hopefully it will be quieter than the stock Prism cooler.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Gunder posted:

Do people like the Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 for cooling a 3700x? Hopefully it will be quieter than the stock Prism cooler.

It's more than you NEED for a 3700X but it's a real good cooler by all accounts.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

Thom P. Tiers posted:

If you live in Wisconsin and would like to drive to a Miwaukee PC, they have some stock at certain locations right now. Otherwise your best bet is to set up auto notification on the newegg app for the bundles.

And be logged in and ready to checkout with some sort of auto payment (apple pay).

Thank you. Precautions taken and hopefully I can pull something up.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

did you call them or what? i would drive for a 3080

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

a Loving Dog posted:

did you call them or what? i would drive for a 3080

Had a friend who picked up two 3080's from Menomonee Falls today. They are a *bit* overpriced, but they do get stock in. The 3070's are more readily available.

https://www.milwaukeepc.com/Store.aspx?sku=425121&sc=582

One left in Menomonee Falls... They had 4 total today.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

not feeling confident i'd get there in time... dammit

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Alright, I think it's time to rebuild a bunch of my system. The oldest part by far at this point is the motherboard, so a lot of it will have to be from scratch. I live in the US and primarily use the system for gaming and occasional streaming. Looking to spend around $600-$800 USD on this. A few questions:

Case: Is it worthwhile to pick up a new case? I've had basically no issues getting everything into this mATX case in the past (some random ASUS one from like eleven years ago), so I'd rather not spend on components I don't need.
PSU: My PSU is seven years old at this point, an old XFX 550W Bronze certified 80+ model, but I know that the PSU is the one component you really don't want to gently caress around with. It's worked beautifully until now, but if I'm doing a rebuild, I'm guessing I should shell out for a new PSU at this point?
CPU: I'm still running my old i5 4570 from seven years ago. I'd prefer to stick to an Intel processor if possible, and I've unfortunately fallen off a cliff when it comes to keeping up with motherboard sockets. At around $200-$300 range for the CPU, what processor - and by extension, motherboard - should I be looking at?
RAM: Gonna need to upgrade this as well from my old DDR3, probably looking to go from my current 8GB to 16GB - is there a gold standard buy here?
SSD: I have an 850 EVO 1TB SSD that I picked up a couple years ago, so not looking to replace that.
GPU: My GTX 1060 has plenty of life left in it for now, so not planning on replacing that either.

Given that I'm not replacing the SSD or GPU right now I feel like I can scrape together something pretty decent within that budget range. I'd do a pcpartpicker list but I've genuinely lost track of hardware the last couple years and I'm really looking for recommendations and caveats here, ideally in the next couple days so I can spring for some deals next week.

Thanks in advance!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
For reference, my 3700X paired with a Noctua NH-U14S never gets above 65C.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

theshim posted:

Alright, I think it's time to rebuild a bunch of my system. The oldest part by far at this point is the motherboard, so a lot of it will have to be from scratch. I live in the US and primarily use the system for gaming and occasional streaming. Looking to spend around $600-$800 USD on this. A few questions:

Case: Is it worthwhile to pick up a new case? I've had basically no issues getting everything into this mATX case in the past (some random ASUS one from like eleven years ago), so I'd rather not spend on components I don't need.
PSU: My PSU is seven years old at this point, an old XFX 550W Bronze certified 80+ model, but I know that the PSU is the one component you really don't want to gently caress around with. It's worked beautifully until now, but if I'm doing a rebuild, I'm guessing I should shell out for a new PSU at this point?
CPU: I'm still running my old i5 4570 from seven years ago. I'd prefer to stick to an Intel processor if possible, and I've unfortunately fallen off a cliff when it comes to keeping up with motherboard sockets. At around $200-$300 range for the CPU, what processor - and by extension, motherboard - should I be looking at?
RAM: Gonna need to upgrade this as well from my old DDR3, probably looking to go from my current 8GB to 16GB - is there a gold standard buy here?
SSD: I have an 850 EVO 1TB SSD that I picked up a couple years ago, so not looking to replace that.
GPU: My GTX 1060 has plenty of life left in it for now, so not planning on replacing that either.

Given that I'm not replacing the SSD or GPU right now I feel like I can scrape together something pretty decent within that budget range. I'd do a pcpartpicker list but I've genuinely lost track of hardware the last couple years and I'm really looking for recommendations and caveats here, ideally in the next couple days so I can spring for some deals next week.

Thanks in advance!

Why intel?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

For reference, my 3700X paired with a Noctua NH-U14S never gets above 65C.

Doing what?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

sean10mm posted:

Doing what?

I accidentally left 16 instances of SuperPi running for ~ an hour... :ohdear:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I accidentally left 16 instances of SuperPi running for ~ an hour... :ohdear:

Dang OK that's fair lol

I think the 5000 series are just running hotter across the board because they're packing more cores in a smaller space and just struggling to physically get the heat out. In torture testing my 5800X gets into the mid 80s unless I drop the PPT from 142 to 120. Instead of 2 groups of 4 like Zen 2 it's 1 group of 8.

e: This is with a U14S cooler too. Basically any scenario outside 16 thread synthetic torture it's cool & quiet as hell though.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 24, 2020

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

theshim posted:

At seven years old I would recommend replacing anything less than a gold+ PSU with a 10-year warranty.

If you aren't planning to use the case otherwise (for a backup system etc.) then it should be fine unless you need an ATX board or possiblly a gigantic GPU. More modern cases might have better quality-of-life cable management features or airflow but that shouldn't be a deal breaker compared to the cost of free if you have a budget.

(I don't know much about intel builds so i can't really say much about cpu/mobo)

e: here is an AMD setup that fits the budget, with room to go lower through low-hanging fruit like dropping to a Ryzen 3600 (if you can find one listed at $200) or dropping to a reasonable 16 GB of RAM. A 5600X would also be in the budget if you can find one for MSRP anywhere.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B550M-A (WI-FI) Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($127.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL19 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $627.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-24 16:19 EST-0500

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 24, 2020

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

FreeKillB posted:

The $272 for a 3600 is not great value. That should be closer to $200, if you want to spend >$250 I would recommend either 3700X or trying to figure out how to get a 5600X.

Recommend the WD SN550 over the Samsung

If going for a gold PSU I would aim for Corsair/SeaSonic/EVGA rather than the pcpartspicker 'choose the cheapest' filter. If you want to stay in the same price range for budget the non-modular Corsair CX Bronze is the standard.

The video card is the most critical piece and for anything 1660 super and up it looks like supply is going crazy on pcpartspicker right now. The 1660 super is good value in your price range if you can get it for like $250 or less, but it seems that the cards listed for less than like $300 are getting snapped up right now. In that range I would think a RX 5600XT for ~300 would be worthwhile. It's probably not a common thread recommendation, but if your use case really is less demanding in the GPU range it might be worth considering a 580 or 5500XT if you can find one for ~180 if the 1660 super stock continues to be difficult.

Appreciate the advice. I found a 3600 for $200 so went ahead and snagged it, updated my list in the original post and will probably move forward with those. I think I'm just going to be patient and wait it out on the 1660 for now, I'm not in a big rush and from what I see this one would be ideal for me.

I'm assuming a 550W PSU is going to handle this setup fine, or should I go a bit bigger? It looks like the case I have on there comes with a single fan so I'll likely need to pick up another 1-2 for airflow unless I'm mistaken.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lonely Bridge posted:

Appreciate the advice. I found a 3600 for $200 so went ahead and snagged it, updated my list in the original post and will probably move forward with those. I think I'm just going to be patient and wait it out on the 1660 for now, I'm not in a big rush and from what I see this one would be ideal for me.

I'm assuming a 550W PSU is going to handle this setup fine, or should I go a bit bigger? It looks like the case I have on there comes with a single fan so I'll likely need to pick up another 1-2 for airflow unless I'm mistaken.

The 1650 and 1660 supers use minimal power, I'd be really surprised if you ever draw more than 300 watts total. If you look at the PCpartpicker list it'll spit out the estimated power consumption, 284 watts in this case.

theshim
May 1, 2012

sean10mm posted:

Why intel?
Weird personal hangup :v: I'll get over it.

FreeKillB posted:

At seven years old I would recommend replacing anything less than a gold+ PSU with a 10-year warranty.

If you aren't planning to use the case otherwise (for a backup system etc.) then it should be fine unless you need an ATX board or possiblly a gigantic GPU. More modern cases might have better quality-of-life cable management features or airflow but that shouldn't be a deal breaker compared to the cost of free if you have a budget.

(I don't know much about intel builds so i can't really say much about cpu/mobo)

e: here is an AMD setup that fits the budget, with room to go lower through low-hanging fruit like dropping to a Ryzen 3600 (if you can find one listed at $200) or dropping to a reasonable 16 GB of RAM. A 5600X would also be in the budget if you can find one for MSRP anywhere.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B550M-A (WI-FI) Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($127.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL19 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $627.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-24 16:19 EST-0500
Thanks for this! One thing I should have mentioned is that I want to spend the bit extra for a cooler, the one I got for like 30 bucks when I built my current machine kept it nearly silent for years and I'd like to replicate that. Any specific models jump out here?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

theshim posted:

Thanks for this! One thing I should have mentioned is that I want to spend the bit extra for a cooler, the one I got for like 30 bucks when I built my current machine kept it nearly silent for years and I'd like to replicate that. Any specific models jump out here?

Don't buy a 3700x for gaming for almost $300 when the much better for gaming 5600X is $300.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I agree that the 5600X is a better choice for gaming but I am not sure how hard it is to catch one on a restock. I would guess that they're not as hard to scoop up as 3080s or impossible like 6000-series GPUs, but they are certainly not staying in stock for too long. (In the super long run the 3700x might have legs due to the extra threads despite the lower single core speed but I admit that's speculative)

theshim posted:

The Arctic Freezer 34 seems to be a solid choice at the lower end, if you want to go for something bigger/quieter options include the Scythe Fuma 2 or any of Noctua's big tower coolers. A be quiet! cooler is probably the best if you want super quiet, if you have a 65W or 105W TDP I would expect that the Pure Rock 2 would be fine.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 25, 2020

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Had a friend who picked up two 3080's from Menomonee Falls today. They are a *bit* overpriced, but they do get stock in. The 3070's are more readily available.

https://www.milwaukeepc.com/Store.aspx?sku=425121&sc=582

One left in Menomonee Falls... They had 4 total today.

So I drove there and picked it up! Thanks a lot man, appreciate your announcement post

KoB
May 1, 2009
Well I guess Ill be getting that 5800X next week now instead of february, so hows all this look?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste ($6.40 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA G1+ 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $771.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-24 18:21 EST-0500

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Can someone who knows more about RGB fans help me out please? I have an MSI B450A-Pro (non-MAX) which says it has 1 x 5050 RGB LED strip 12V connector.

These fans https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B081F47CNY/ say they have come with a few options: 3-pin rgb controller, 3-pin rgb splitter, 4-pin 3- way fan splitter, 3 pin rgb adapters. Would I be able to hook these up and control the LEDs with the least amount of bullshit possible?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

KingKapalone posted:

Can someone who knows more about RGB fans help me out please? I have an MSI B450A-Pro (non-MAX) which says it has 1 x 5050 RGB LED strip 12V connector.

These fans https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B081F47CNY/ say they have come with a few options: 3-pin rgb controller, 3-pin rgb splitter, 4-pin 3- way fan splitter, 3 pin rgb adapters. Would I be able to hook these up and control the LEDs with the least amount of bullshit possible?

You won't be able to control them with the motherboard (and therefore via software). 12V 4-pin is regular analog RGB, 5V 3-pin is digital addressable RGB, and are essentially completely incompatible. You'll be able to control the LEDS with the controller, though, and you'll still be able to plug the fans into the motherboard.

If you want to control RGBs with software you'll need to get regular RGB fans.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

sean10mm posted:

Don't buy a 3700x for gaming for almost $300 when the much better for gaming 5600X is $300.

:bandwagon:

I did this, and if the 3700X is right for you, go ahead. But, personally, I would recommend the 3600 (non-X) for gaming and putting the savings towards a better GPU.

If you can get a 5600X, it will probably get another year or two on the 3600, but I imagine the consoles will pretty effectively hobble gaming w/r/t CPU use for the next 5-10 years.
:shrug:

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

KingKapalone posted:

Most of the new RGB fans you see use a small box that plugs into the motherboard usb 2.0 header.

These are corsair's cheapest RGB option that come with the "node core" box
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-SP14...ics&sr=1-1&th=1

These look real nice, but I have no experience outside of corsair ecosystem.
https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-...3604208053&th=1

These are really popular and apparently sold out.
https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-LL12...3833762703&th=1

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008
Hey all, much appreciate the advice and tips in this thread. I built a machine earlier this year with a B450 motherboard, Ryzen 3600, and a 650w ps. I currently have a 5700xt and I'm thinking about grabbing a 6800xt (when supplies allow). I'm hoping I can just grab the gpu, but I'm curious if I'm going to have to upgrade the ps for additional power, or, upgrade the mobo to get pci 4.0?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Luccion posted:

Hey all, much appreciate the advice and tips in this thread. I built a machine earlier this year with a B450 motherboard, Ryzen 3600, and a 650w ps. I currently have a 5700xt and I'm thinking about grabbing a 6800xt (when supplies allow). I'm hoping I can just grab the gpu, but I'm curious if I'm going to have to upgrade the ps for additional power, or, upgrade the mobo to get pci 4.0?

Naa it should be fine unless you heavily overclock that cpu.

I think they recommend 750w but 650w has worked for NVidia cards that also recommend 750w.

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008

spunkshui posted:

Naa it should be fine unless you heavily overclock that cpu.

I think they recommend 750w but 650w has worked for NVidia cards that also recommend 750w.

Great, thanks. I don't oc anything, so that's not a concern. I'm mostly feeling the Christmas bug to "treat myself" and I'm running everything at 1440p, and I'm not quite happy with the settings I'm having to use with the 5700xt. I'm hoping this upgrade will rectify that. Thanks for the info.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

KoB posted:

Well I guess Ill be getting that 5800X next week now instead of february, so hows all this look?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste ($6.40 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA G1+ 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $771.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-24 18:21 EST-0500

that's actually really similar to mine, i prob went overboard on the psu but oh well

i also got a lot better prices than what a lot of these are listed at now, esp the case and cpu

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($599.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 UNIFY ATX AM4 Motherboard ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($169.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($156.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1605.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-24 21:26 EST-0500

theshim
May 1, 2012

On thing I wanted to ask about : with the setup recommended above, there's a warning on pcpartpicker:

quote:

Some AMD B550 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.
Needless to say I don't have another CPU that I could slot in there. Is this something to be worried about?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes you would have to update the BIOS to the newest version available that supports the Zen 3 processors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

sean10mm posted:

Honestly even that board is overkill, you could "downgrade" to a B550 board like the B550M Bazooka and probably lose literally nothing IRL as long as it has enough ports for you.

Took your advice and after a couple hours of wanting to rip my eyeballs out, found a B550 board that has what I need! I was also about to start ripping my eyeballs out trying to figure out which ram is Micron E die, but saw your PCPartPicker review on the Crucial Ballistix you recommended from before, thanks! I'm sticking with the 850w EVGA G3 since I really like their support, and still might get a Ryzen 9 later on. Also sticking with the D15 purely for aesthetics, but I think it'll fit? lol

My 5600x is in the mail, the 3080 is here, and my 4000D has just been ordered. Running this by the thread one last time before I hit purchase on the rest of it! Hopefully I didn't gently caress up anything too bad?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($149.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB XC3 BLACK GAMING Video Card
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: EVGA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($165.50 @ Amazon)
Total: $855.45