Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

The producers specifically sought an actress who uses a wheelchair. They caught a lot of actresses auditioning faking it.
Did the casting agents have Walter Sobchek in there checking everyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone watched the remake of Black Narcissus? Is it good?

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

fenix down posted:

Did the casting agents have Walter Sobchek in there checking everyone?

I read somewhere they checked people's social media accounts. One person had been posting pics walking on the beach that morning.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I dont know if this was brought up before, and I can't believe I'm recommending a CBS show but we tried Evil after remembering some vague appreciation for it online. We've been really enjoying it, especially surprised with some of the imagery theyre working with. Even his other villain roles in the past haven't sleeved me out as much as Michael Emerson does in this

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Evil is pure cheesy fun

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Deadite posted:

It’s so weird seeing the bots with different voices
[Prints out 20-foot banner saying "I HATE TOM SERVO'S NEW VOICE!", mails it to Best Brains]

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Hillbilly Elegy is number 1 on Netflix right now and that's a huge bummer.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Hate watching is a thing.

Plus I doubt the average consumer knows the backstory.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I was mildly interested in watching it just because of Glenn Close and Amy Adams, but when I saw Ron Howard directed it, I immediately realized there is very little chance that the content will be handled with any degree of nuance.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

I was mildly interested in watching it just because of Glenn Close and Amy Adams, but when I saw Ron Howard directed it, I immediately realized there is very little chance that the content will be handled with any degree of nuance.

It goes beyond emotional manipulation- from everything I've read it's just a structural mess, and that he well and truly has lost his fastball

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Ugh

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Happiest Christmas on Hulu is not a great movie, but it's good if you just want a nice happy story. Four farts outta five.

Underwater, however, gets five farts just for the visuals. It's alien in the ocean and even though it has TJ Miller... don't worry.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The number streaming thing on Netflix is always something that is bad. Don’t be shocked

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

Fartington Butts posted:

Happiest Christmas on Hulu is not a great movie, but it's good if you just want a nice happy story. Four farts outta five.

It was cute but I thought Kristen Stewart's character should have dumped the girlfriend and hooked up with Audrey Plaza.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fartington Butts posted:

Underwater, however, gets five farts just for the visuals. It's alien in the ocean and even though it has TJ Miller... don't worry.

Underwater was a really pleasant surprise

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The number streaming thing on Netflix is always something that is bad. Don’t be shocked

Honestly I should save up my bad feelings about Hillbilly Elegy for when it wins Best Picture.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Fallom posted:

Underwater was a really pleasant surprise

I didn't think the regular monsters looked that great, but huge rear end Cthulu looked really good.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Where’s a good place to start watching It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia? The beginning? Are there any “best” episodes to get hooked on the show?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd probably start at the beginning. The first season is sort of different/weird and it hadn't really found it's footing yet, but is still pretty good. It's just way less absurd than later seasons and Danny Devito isn't in it. Season 2 really kicks off what it eventually became, so if you really wanted to you could probably just start there too without missing much. The quality is pretty consistent for years, although I think they are starting to run out of ideas. It's still funny though.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Zwabu posted:

Where’s a good place to start watching It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia? The beginning? Are there any “best” episodes to get hooked on the show?

The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Zwabu posted:

I was fully prepared to say to skip ahead to where Frank's character is fully achieved (which is probably when they stop calling him "dad" and he turns into a gremlin man). But then I realized that's at the end of S2, which also has insanely strong episodes like Dennis and Dee Go on Welfare and Hundred Dollar Baby, so you might as well watch S2. And S1 is only 7 episodes long, so why the hell not.

The new seasons are, I think, a little more uneven, but there are absolute bangers in there, and I'm sure its the sort of thing where if you asked 6 people about their favorite episodes from a given season you'd get 6 answers. At this point the show is doing the Archer thing of having these barely functioning human shaped things bounce into each other rather than what I'd call "plots," which is pretty sustainable, as far as these things go.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I feel like the Flanderization has gone too far in Sunny for me to enjoy. Except for Frank.

I think really it's mostly Dennis that bugs me in the past couple seasons.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is the best scene ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prz7que9MT4

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

ElMudo posted:

I feel like the Flanderization has gone too far in Sunny for me to enjoy. Except for Frank.

I think really it's mostly Dennis that bugs me in the past couple seasons.

It's worth noting that The DENNIS System was eleven years ago. The show reduced their characters to insane cardboard cut outs really quickly - I definitely understand it turning people off of the show, but it happened pretty early.

EDIT: While I was typing this, Danny Devito showed up on this Disney Christmas special with the chyron reminding us that he's on It's Always Sunny, and I really like to imagine the crossover between the two. Also, reminder that Sweet Dee is a Disney princess now.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I feel real stupid what’s the deal with hillbilly elegy. Never heard of the original.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Starks posted:

I feel real stupid what’s the deal with hillbilly elegy. Never heard of the original.

yale lawyer-cum-venture capitalist from like cincinatti or something wrote a book about white trash rural Appalachia life right after the 2016 election. got on a lot of best sellers lists because of perfect timing and a lot of people who needed to believe rural whites were simply lost, vindictive, alcoholic, racist deadbeats.

tldr: the thesis is basically taking his own narrow experience with his extended family and projecting that out to all rural whites, who are failures because of personal problems and not believing in themselves enough rather than being systematically abandoned by the government and local industry for decades.

God Hole fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 27, 2020

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

God Hole posted:

yale lawyer-cum-venture capitalist from like cincinatti or something wrote a book about white trash rural Appalachia life right after the 2016 election. got on a lot of best sellers lists because of perfect timing and a lot of people who needed to believe rural whites were simply lost, vindictive, alcoholic, racist deadbeats.

tldr: the thesis is basically taking his own narrow experience with his extended family and projecting that out to all rural whites, who are failures because of personal problems and not believing in themselves enough rather than being systematically abandoned by the government and local industry for decades.

I see. I thought it was based on old movie for some reason. Sounds bad and looks stupid

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

God Hole posted:

It's actually worse than that. The author, JD Vance, is an ex Republican congressional staffer. It's literal propaganda.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Zwabu posted:

Season 6, Episode 13. The Christmas episode.

Every character's arc perfectly sums them up.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Zwabu posted:

There's no Frank and the tone's a little more stiff, but don't listen to anyone who tells you to skip season 1. There's some classic episodes there (Charlie Has Cancer, Underage Drinking: A National Concern, The Gang Finds A Dead Guy).

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Seasons 1-10 are pretty much all killer. Even the lesser episodes can get a good chuckle out of me. I'm partial to "Charlie Work" in s10, probably the best continuous shot I've ever seen on television.

They start to do some metacommentary in s11, doing an amnesia episode that does a runthrough of all their prior plot points to emphasize how stuck in place their characters are. Surprising depth for a show about rum hams.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Famethrowa posted:

Seasons 1-10 are pretty much all killer.

Yeah 11 is the first one that wasn't solid gold and even then you had all-time greats like "Dennis and Mac move to the suburbs".

12 and 13 were more hit or miss, though of course 13 gave us the greatest finale to any season of television ever

I actually think 14 was one of the strongest seasons

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Dennis and mac in the suburbs is amazing existential horror

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Season 1 is weak but it’s good context for how much Frank joining the gang fucks with the other four.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I literally show the Christmas episode to anyone wondering what the show is about. If they can handle the nihilism, try "The Gang Broke Dee". If they're still onboard, it's all good :)

Oh, and I watched Underwater and apparently never heard about the big bad. That was a neat easter egg kicking up a so-so monster movie. Shame is the movie had the bones and set pieces to be really the best of its breed, but the directing is flat. Kristen Stewart's default morose glumness saps away some good scenes.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Archive on prime was pretty good, albeit fairly predictable. Still feels worlds better than most b level netflix movies

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fartington Butts posted:

Yeah, it was exactly anyone should expect it to be. It hits every cliche, but if you're looking for a warm holiday film with lowkey conflict, and a few chuckles, can't go wrong watching Happiest Christmas with a bottle of wine.

quote:

I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. But yeah, the visuals, it was so dark that I couldn't really tell what was going on.

Could make a fun Kristen Stewart double header. Two adequate movies.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If you’re talking about Happiest Season with Kristen Stewart, the MacKenzie Davis character is pretty irredeemable in how she treats her live-in partner.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

If you’re talking about Happiest Season with Kristen Stewart, the MacKenzie Davis character is pretty irredeemable in how she treats her live-in partner.

I have since seen some stuff about the movie and I'm more than willing to say I hosed up in suggesting the movie. Kristen Stewart's character kinda gets dumped on the whole time and I wasn't thinking about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HouseOfLeaves99
Mar 20, 2009

Simone Magus posted:

The Expendables movies are on Prime now. Never watched them so I'm giving them a shot

The villain of the second one is literally named "Vilain".

Those movies hurt me so bad. The 4th Rambo movie was so perfect. Over the top, ridiculous violence much like the late 80s action movies. When I heard Expendables was coming, I was so loving amped.

Then it came out. PG-13. Neutered violence. Nothing near Rambo, where he literally grabbed a giant gun and shot a guy into hamburger helper