Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Put it above and below the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
replace the entire op with that link

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Goast posted:

replace the entire op with that link

In 72pt font

Make a giant banner image that says "LAME rear end Discord" and link that to the Discord invite.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Are crews a more gigantic deal in naval? As long as i don't get hit i do pretty well, but the second I take even one shot I'm basically dead.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Are crews a more gigantic deal in naval? As long as i don't get hit i do pretty well, but the second I take even one shot I'm basically dead.

Your crew count is your HP, so generally the larger the ship the more resilient you are, barring getting ammo racked. That and the larger you are the more compartments you have, all your compartments going black is instant death. Armor helps a LOT in naval with your survivability, even just antifrag plates. Most of the time bombs and torpedoes will ruin your day, so keep your heads up for planes and change course often to avoid torpedo spreads.

As for crew skills they are fairly important, though none of them will keep you from a magazine explosion. Crew interchangeability is basically a +HP stat. All the damage control stats and fire prevention are important to keep you from the death due to cascading problems, and obviously reload speed is good.

NickBlasta fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 25, 2020

Griz
May 21, 2001

I'm up to the last set of destroyers before the light cruisers and all of my deaths have been mostly decrewed with an occasional ammo rack, because destroyers have no armor.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Griz posted:

I'm up to the last set of destroyers before the light cruisers and all of my deaths have been mostly decrewed with an occasional ammo rack, because destroyers have no armor.

Some of them do. Mostly the later US destroyers that have antifrag belts. You can notice a big difference in how tanky you are while playing them.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

In the spirit of the thread title, I just had my best game in bombers yet, flying treetop around abandoned factory ground strike in AB. I killed 4 planes, got 4 assists, 10 ground targets, and only died once. All below 500m.

Yeah, we lost. But god drat that was fun. It was the first time I ever saw all 4 of the B-25's turrets firing at the same time, and the nose cannon for good measure.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what happened with boats why are boats different

can i get all blue-water matches and vice-versa?

Xerxes17 posted:

You have to buy the premium from that prompt to get it.

i knew it! ugh

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol boats

i have no idea how they apportioned research experience

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

A thing to keep in mind re: ship crew skills is that, unless you've leveled up the Survive Leadership skill, trying to do any of fire extinguishing, repairing, and unwatering at the same time as any other, suffers a huge penalty to the time required. So on unskilled boat crews you're supposed to figure out a priority order for those.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

YF-23 posted:

A thing to keep in mind re: ship crew skills is that, unless you've leveled up the Survive Leadership skill, trying to do any of fire extinguishing, repairing, and unwatering at the same time as any other, suffers a huge penalty to the time required. So on unskilled boat crews you're supposed to figure out a priority order for those.

Not that it matters, because if you have more than one of those going on with an unskilled crew, you're hosed before you finish all of them anyway.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

That's true for the smaller boats, but destroyers onwards can take a fair amount of punishment if the enemy is unable to capitalise on disabling you. The choice between putting out a fire and getting your guns back online is real.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah the bigger the ship the more this becomes an important mechanic to understand.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Also the xp for the squad IJN destroyer is wasaay our of wack. Like it’s 5k research per module instead of 300 or so in the tech tree variant

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

YF-23 posted:

Something to keep in mind, for ships fires are mostly an annoyance. It's hard to die from a fire if it isn't a massive one. You basically tick down crew slowly. It will kill you eventually in a destroyer but a cruiser can truck for quite awhile while burning. It is an annoying demultiplier for your other repairs though. Note with fire prevention at max you will rarely catch on fire, I think the small fire chance is near 0.

So for gun fighting, put fires out first, I usually leave extinguishers on automatic. Then tap 7 and 8 as needed. You can handle a little flooding, so don't be worried about doing it in sequence rather than in parallel.

But there are times you really need to actively manage damage control, mostly either getting torped or getting hit with a bomb. If you catch a torp or a bomb you will usually burst into flames, have nearby modules knocked out, and immediately start flooding. People tend to freak at the fires, but the actual immediate danger is flooding. Hit B to go to full stop, moving causes more flooding. I cancel the fire extinguishers (hold 6) and do pumps (8) only until they initialize and the water starts moving out, then go for fire fighting and repairs.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

If the fire is near the torpedoes or ammo it can be a problem though, can suddenly take a chunk out of you.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
How much has RB tanking changed since June? I have been without real internet since then and I miss WT. :(

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Basically none. Everything is sorta tankier because of the volumetric shells though.

I don't play above 6.3 though so your kilometres may vary.

edit: RE crew skills for boats, is there a faster not-paying-golden-lions way to level these bozos up? I've barely got one slot to level 10 and having a fire kill me within 10 seconds is very annoying.

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 26, 2020

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Basically none. Everything is sorta tankier because of the volumetric shells though.

Volumetric shells are definitely the biggest change. Some of its knock-on effects have been interesting. APC (Armor Piercing Capped) shells feel way more effective since volumetric.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

edit: RE crew skills for boats, is there a faster not-paying-golden-lions way to level these bozos up? I've barely got one slot to level 10 and having a fire kill me within 10 seconds is very annoying.

Do you have a tree where you've maxed a crew for aircraft and are using it as your primary air RB crew/your fighter or CAS crew in CARB? Good news, you don't need air crew skills to do a suicidal torpedo run against a boat, you can assign a ship to that crew and with any luck it's accumulated a few thousand points of research since you maxed the airplane skills.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Do they usually put up a Black Friday deal or not until closer to Christmas? Probably be getting premium and have my eyes on a T20 so curious if I should hold off or not.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
They just had the anniversary sale a few weeks ago, and I don't think they do anything major for black friday or cyber Monday or whatever. Next big sale will be Christmas.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

There is a black friday vehicle pack up but it contains ONLY the vehicles, no gold or premium time.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Half the vehicles aren't that great anyway.

The Ka-50 is great sure, and the M18 is pretty solid too, but the black prince is... merely adequate and the premium P-61 is simply bad and significantly worse than the normal one.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

I guess its more of a way for people who missed the birthday sales to get something they potentially want.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Why do I sometimes randomly end up at a score screen from an air AB before the match ends?

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Cerebulon posted:

It's nice being able to play destroyer without grinding through 10,000 hours of tugboats with guns welded on, but the one thing I'm not really sold on with this update is the 'intense' electronic hangar music. The nation-specific classical was nice, and this feels too dang modern.

I miss the old music, is there any way to change it back? I looked at the options but didn't find anything...

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Has anyone jumped in the Enlisted closed beta?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Welp, I am not good at this game and not very far into the tree, but getting around behind the enemy lines in my glorified farm truck with a 25mm AA cannon and drilling 3 tanks in the rear end to death for the win is the most fun I've had in it.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Has the sturmpanzer always been 1.0? The thought of it against only reserve tanks is comical.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Anyone have any tips for the early Spitfires in realistic? They seem to suck real bad up high, and their turn performance just sets you up to get blapped if you stay low.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I'm wondering when the nerf for the SRAAM is coming. Brit harriers are basically aimbots at the moment - and they're clubbing the *other* expensive premiums.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Warbadger posted:

I'm wondering when the nerf for the SRAAM is coming. Brit harriers are basically aimbots at the moment - and they're clubbing the *other* expensive premiums.

Ya, 8.7 and up is pretty broken right now if you’re not in a GR1.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Bob Mundon posted:

Has the sturmpanzer always been 1.0? The thought of it against only reserve tanks is comical.

I think so. I recall Phlydaily a year or two ago taking it against the highest BR tanks possible simply because it was a 1.0 tank that could kill Abrams.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrYenko posted:

Ya, 8.7 and up is pretty broken right now if you’re not in a GR1.

Trying to finish spading my mig17 has definitely been brutal. If it wasn't for the sraams the harriers aren't bad to dogfight, but drat they have to work hard to get a bad launch off and even when they miss there's always 3-5 more just waiting to dive in lol.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Am I flying a heavy rear end brick of a plane that goes real fast and retains energy well out of a dive?

Then don't try to dogfight you loving nerd. Dive fast, eat rear end, run, repeat. This gameplay loop should not be hard for me to understand, but somehow the instinct to chase is too strong.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Warmachine posted:

Am I flying a heavy rear end brick of a plane that goes real fast and retains energy well out of a dive?

Then don't try to dogfight you loving nerd. Dive fast, eat rear end, run, repeat. This gameplay loop should not be hard for me to understand, but somehow the instinct to chase is too strong.

It took me awhile too, but then I got my first P-47, and it started to click.

...Then I bought the :homebrew: P-47M and everything was right in the world.

:v:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

MrYenko posted:

Anyone have any tips for the early Spitfires in realistic? They seem to suck real bad up high, and their turn performance just sets you up to get blapped if you stay low.

I love Spitfires, though I'm not a great pilot. In the end, it comes down to the usual energy management and outclimbing your opponents. More specific advice:

The first two are great planes but those .303 guns are paltry. If you're good at aiming at the centerline of your target, you can more easily get pilot snipes and engine shots. The Hispano cannons, first seen on the IIb, are significantly stronger.

Never engage an IL-2. You don't have enough ammo or strong enough guns. (Unless you really know what you're doing.) For bombers, aim for the engines and start some fires.

You're going to want to do turn fights. That's what the Spitfire is really good at! But it's not like other planes are spectacularly bad at it, either. Bf 109 Fs, some of the Italians, and especially the Japanese will be hard opponents if you try to turn fight them.

The Spitfire has a fantastic climb rate, and it's most comfortable below 4500 m. But I believe above, say, 6000 m, you'll have more engine power than most of your opponents.

Energy retention is awful, especially compared to Bf 109s and Russian planes. If you do get into a turn fight or a maneuver fight, try to make sure you have teammates to back you up, or at least that your opponent doesn't have any backup. Once you've burned all your energy turning, you're going to want to dive/climb away to get some energy back.

That said, your excellent maneuverability (below 300 kph) and bad energy retention make staying on an enemy's tail easy. Try to get above and behind people, chase them into the earth, and climb away.

All in all, flying allied planes is an exercise in misery as you watch your teammates mow the lawn and get picked apart by the Germans. (This may change if the Germans are on your side, which can happen these days!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrYenko posted:

It took me awhile too, but then I got my first P-47, and it started to click.

...Then I bought the :homebrew: P-47M and everything was right in the world.

:v:

the p47-m is so fun. i take it into jet tier and it's very satisfying when it actually has better control at high speed than the early piece of poo poo jets.