Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah that's the thing, a lot of the sequels were to movies that really didn't leave much room if any for a sequel.

Granted this is a common thing with comedies. Most comedies are written with some kind of character arc in mind and there's usually a happy ending involving character growth for the protagonists and a new, more sustainable status quo. So to make a sequel you have to say "actually, no." The Hangover sequels are a good example (I still think the first was a good movie but man they beat that premise into the ground), arguably even Austin Powers which has to completely undo Austin's arc from the original so he can still try and shag everything in sight.

The balance has partly shifted somewhat to sequels to movies that actually were made with sequels in mind.

One thing I think may have changed- and again this may require statistical analysis- was that diminishing returns were almost always a given. A sequel would make less than the movie that spawned it, because not everybody who saw the movie will see the sequel and the people who missed the first movie won't bother with the second. Nowadays everyone can catch up via streaming so that assumption is less true, and it's not uncommon to see sequels outperform the original (though that may be balanced out by there still being plenty of sequels that outright flop.) Sequels didn't used to be among the top grossers of the year because they were never meant to be, they were more of a safe bet and schedule filler (and sometimes a way of amortizing costs from a film that was very expensive.)

If studios seem more risk-averse than ever these days that may be more owing to the shrinking of the mid-budget slate, where many of your surprise hits and original stories come from- Robocop wasn't supposed to be a big film and Orion didn't really know what they had until the first test screenings, for example. But then we just had Knives Out last year, so it's not like those are dead either.
Hangover 2 was very lazy. It was just the same as the first but in Thailand. This tends to be a problem with most sequels (especially comedy ones).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah that's the thing, a lot of the sequels were to movies that really didn't leave much room if any for a sequel.

Granted this is a common thing with comedies. Most comedies are written with some kind of character arc in mind and there's usually a happy ending involving character growth for the protagonists and a new, more sustainable status quo. So to make a sequel you have to say "actually, no." The Hangover sequels are a good example (I still think the first was a good movie but man they beat that premise into the ground), arguably even Austin Powers which has to completely undo Austin's arc from the original so he can still try and shag everything in sight.

The balance has partly shifted somewhat to sequels to movies that actually were made with sequels in mind.

One thing I think may have changed- and again this may require statistical analysis- was that diminishing returns were almost always a given. A sequel would make less than the movie that spawned it, because not everybody who saw the movie will see the sequel and the people who missed the first movie won't bother with the second. Nowadays everyone can catch up via streaming so that assumption is less true, and it's not uncommon to see sequels outperform the original (though that may be balanced out by there still being plenty of sequels that outright flop.) Sequels didn't used to be among the top grossers of the year because they were never meant to be, they were more of a safe bet and schedule filler (and sometimes a way of amortizing costs from a film that was very expensive.)

If studios seem more risk-averse than ever these days that may be more owing to the shrinking of the mid-budget slate, where many of your surprise hits and original stories come from- Robocop wasn't supposed to be a big film and Orion didn't really know what they had until the first test screenings, for example. But then we just had Knives Out last year, so it's not like those are dead either.

I remember a weird bit of trivia about 'The Mummy Returns.' At the time, it was one of the few sequels to outgross the original. Now, the studio has a panic if the sequel doesn't outgross the original.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Austin Powers series was also a weird outlier. While the first movie didn't exactly flop it certainly didn't blow up the charts. It didn't find an audience until it went to home video and then the second was a massive success.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Tars Tarkas posted:

I believe this is real

oh no

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Clifford the Embiggened By Bad Forced Perspective Red Dog

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/mariebardi/status/1331079667504312321?s=20

Prowler
May 24, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

The Austin Powers series was also a weird outlier. While the first movie didn't exactly flop it certainly didn't blow up the charts. It didn't find an audience until it went to home video and then the second was a massive success.

I loved the first movie and was immensely disappointed in the second: it reused so many jokes it felt like like they didn't even try. For as much poo poo as the third one gets, I found it it better than 2 simply because at least it was fairly original, comparatively, and had a lot of good gags that weren't poop jokes.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Prowler posted:

I loved the first movie and was immensely disappointed in the second: it reused so many jokes it felt like like they didn't even try. For as much poo poo as the third one gets, I found it it better than 2 simply because at least it was fairly original, comparatively, and had a lot of good gags that weren't poop jokes.

Goldmember has a scene where Ozzy Osborne complains that the movie stole a joke from the second movie.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sirotan posted:

Clifford the Embiggened By Bad Forced Perspective Red Dog

lol

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maxwell Lord posted:

So to make a sequel you have to say "actually, no." The Hangover sequels are a good example (I still think the first was a good movie but man they beat that premise into the ground), arguably even Austin Powers which has to completely undo Austin's arc from the original so he can still try and shag everything in sight.

This is an interesting idea, and it's probably why studios have shifted away from numbered sequels in favor of using a colon and some words to differentiate from the originals. "X: Y of the Z" is a lot more approachable by viewers than "X 2" because it lessens the baggage, in a sense. It seems to indicate a shifting in thinking by studios of movies as points in a continuum (or instances of a franchise) instead of self-contained stories.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The Klowner posted:

This is an interesting idea, and it's probably why studios have shifted away from numbered sequels in favor of using a colon and some words to differentiate from the originals. "X: Y of the Z" is a lot more approachable by viewers than "X 2" because it lessens the baggage, in a sense. It seems to indicate a shifting in thinking by studios of movies as points in a continuum (or instances of a franchise) instead of self-contained stories.

On the other hand you have the loving mess that is the naming convention of the Fast & Furious franchise.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

I think that's due to the way they shifted the target audience pretty dramatically between the first and the second. The first was aimed at older people. There were lots of jokes in the first that only my parents got and had to explain to me. References to films, singers, brands and trends that really only make sense if you lived through them (or are a retrophile) along with plenty of dick jokes. The second jettisoned that and just did dick jokes.

I remember John Oliver dug that up a while back. It's a pro-click

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The Klowner posted:

They probably learnt that one from video games. It's a lot less ridiculous to buy 'Call of Duty, Black ops 4' that admit that you're buying Call of Duty 15. But if you're not careful, you end up with Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Is this supposed to be pre or post traumatic brain injury

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

They probably learnt that one from video games. It's a lot less ridiculous to buy 'Call of Duty, Black ops 4' that admit that you're buying Call of Duty 15. But if you're not careful, you end up with Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy

The way Call of Duty works, with it's 4-5 development teams and two main title series (Black Ops and Modern Warfare), it honestly is more akin to the Marvel Universe.

Really, if we're talking a lack of ability to take hints from what worked in previous installments and obtain actual story/franchise cohesion, releasing things as planned without huge technical hiccups and mistakes-- let's say the Fox X-men universe.

Actually, this kinda tracks. There's X-Men 1-3, the "modern warfare" timeline, and X-Men: Past Hijinks, the "Black Ops" timeline.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 25, 2020

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Prowler posted:

The way Call of Duty works, with it's 4-5 development teams and two main title series (Black Ops and Modern Warfare), it honestly is more akin to the Marvel Universe.

Really, if we're talking a lack of ability to take hints from what worked in previous installments and obtain actual story/franchise cohesion, releasing things as planned without huge technical hiccups and mistakes-- let's say the Fox X-men universe.

Actually, this kinda tracks. There's X-Men 1-3, the "modern warfare" timeline, and X-Men: Past Hijinks, the "Black Ops" timeline.

Isn’t the black ops series pretty solid across the board? That’s the gist I got from osmosis, anyway.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Isn’t the black ops series pretty solid across the board? That’s the gist I got from osmosis, anyway.

All the COD games are really fun. They're built for multiplayer and the teams that make them know their job. That's not the issue, it's just that there's 8 billiion of them and they're not really nearly different enough from each other to justify that many games

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

This movie is more crazy than the poster implies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

"In theaters March 26"

Oh, I don't know.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Maxwell Lord posted:

And now they're working on a Knives Out sequel!

(Which is fine imo, as long as it's like, the further adventures of Benoit Blanc working on another case.)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Oh my god you weren't kidding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prWBrMJOg2k

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Like....it physically hurts how cringe it is but I like they went out there with the concept.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

yeah now that i watched the trailer... i really want to watch the boss baby 2???

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So did the first movie take place in the past or does this movie take place in the future?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Someone got the challenge to make a sequel to a film that provided definitive lifelong closure for its main characters and went "hey, idiots, science is just magic wearing glasses"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
EXCLUSIVE: NBC is developing Finding Forrester, a drama series based on the 2000 Gus Van Sant movie that starred the late Sean Connery. It hails from The Chi co-executive producers TJ Brady & Rasheed Newson, director Tim Story, NBA star Stephen Curry and his Unanimous Media as well as Sony Pictures Television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPjvDE-rKo0

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is this supposed to be pre or post traumatic brain injury
I'm not sure, but I definitely have CTE now

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Lid posted:

EXCLUSIVE: NBC is developing Finding Forrester, a drama series based on the 2000 Gus Van Sant movie that starred the late Sean Connery. It hails from The Chi co-executive producers TJ Brady & Rasheed Newson, director Tim Story, NBA star Stephen Curry and his Unanimous Media as well as Sony Pictures Television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPjvDE-rKo0

Outside of the YTMND bit, I like this film for the "punch the keys" bit, which I sometimes bring up with students. When writing, the blank page is your enemy. Put literally anything there. You can fix it later, but you can't fix what you don't write in the first place.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

marshmallow creep posted:

Outside of the YTMND bit, I like this film for the "punch the keys" bit, which I sometimes bring up with students. When writing, the blank page is your enemy. Put literally anything there. You can fix it later, but you can't fix what you don't write in the first place.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do wonder if Aliens and Terminator 2 influenced the way Hollywood treats sequels.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The BLOPs campaigns are atrocious, nightmarish, jingoistic protofash hellshit, which features actual war criminal Olly North as a heroic character, and the latest treats Ronnie Ray-gun as a champion of democracy and “our way of life,” as he sends you off to commit war crimes.

Modern Warfare 2019 at least tried to fictionalize it’s conflicts and factions enough to maintain some healthy distance and plausible deniability, while the older iterations were borderline GI Joe action schlock - Modern Warfare 2 being the best of this.

Honestly the best one was Infinite Warfare because it was kickass semi-grounded spacewar with some fantastic setpieces.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

marshmallow creep posted:

Just as a cautionary note, applying this principle to software development is generally not a good idea. :v:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

the COD campaigns are pretty much explicitly and openly revisionist propaganda, with last year's release trying to muddy the waters of US imperialism by presenting an alternate Highway of Death incident where it was actually the soviets doing it, and similarly the first mission of codblops Cold War apparently intimating that the Iran Hostage Crisis was secretly a KGB plot.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Cold War at least tries to "both sides' the whole thing by having the Macguffin be a series of neutron bombs buried by the US in European capitals to deny them to the Soviets in case of an invasion which the Soviets are trying to detonate and frame the US. Meanwhile, the PC is revealed to be a Soviet operative who was captured and brainwashed by the CIA via MKULTRA and controlled Bioshock style. The "bad" ending has you lead the other "good guys" including the CoD BLOPS protagonists to a trap and kill them all, be welcomed by the Soviets like an old friend, blow up the nukes and expose Reagan and Bush as the worst war criminals in history. The "good" ending has you stay loyal to your captors and stop the nukes but the guy who brainwashed you suddenly decides to kill you because you're a loose end. From the looks of things, most people prefer the "bad" ending.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 25, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Buying Call of Duty for the campaigns lol

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AceOfFlames posted:

Cold War at least tries to "both sides' the whole thing by having the Macguffin be a series of neutron bombs buried by the US in European capitals to deny them to the Soviets in case of an invasion which the Soviets are trying to detonate and frame the US. Meanwhile, the PC is revealed to be a Soviet operative who was captured and brainwashed by the CIA via MKULTRA and controlled Bioshock style. The "bad" ending has you lead the other "good guys" including the CoD BLOPS protagonists to a trap and kill them all, be welcomed by the Soviets like an old friend, blow up the nukes and expose Reagan and Bush as the worst war criminals in history. The "good" ending has you stay loyal to your captors and stop the nukes but the guy who brainwashed you suddenly decides to kill you because you're a loose end. From the looks of things, most people prefer the "bad" ending.

Tom Clancy is rolling in his grave

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

Buying Call of Duty for the campaigns lol

If I wanted to get shot by an angry fourteen year old I could just get my teaching certificate.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vince MechMahon posted:

Hating sequels feels like a mindset totally set in the nineties to me. Weird, outdated thinking that's not backed up by any actual facts about the quality of sequels.

It's from the 70's, where sequels were not only often much more cheaply made but were often just TV movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's from the 70's, where sequels were not only often much more cheaply made but were often just TV movies.

Remember all those direct to video Disney sequels in the Eisner era?