Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

njsykora posted:

I fell into audiophile Youtube a few days ago looking at headphone reviews and got to laugh at a guy saying if you didn't think having a heavy metal doorstop on your hifi setup improved the sound you were a science denier. At least he said it was a $10 doorstop and not a $150 'resonance damper'.

Darko? He recently did an article on how to be a "music first" audiophile and it meant you had to let other people have their delusions and not challenge them lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Darko is hilarious because he’ll do something sensible like recommend a $100 raspberry pi streamer connected to a $100 DAC but also spend like ten minutes talking about how “chocolatey“ some 8 grand speakers sound. Also everything more expensive always sounds better [even if it’s “subtle”] which is the true hallmark of an audiophile reviewer.

Also he puts those stupid doorstops on everything.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

qirex posted:

Darko is hilarious because he’ll do something sensible like recommend a $100 raspberry pi streamer connected to a $100 DAC but also spend like ten minutes talking about how “chocolatey“ some 8 grand speakers sound. Also everything more expensive always sounds better [even if it’s “subtle”] which is the true hallmark of an audiophile reviewer.

I thought describing wine was weird when people use 'leather', but chocolatey sound?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Darko frustrates me to no end. He gets incredible guests on his podcast. In September he had the head of Kef’s R&D on to talk about the LS50 Meta, which is some legitimately cool new tech. And the guy had some great info and data.

And then you have to listen to this incredibly pompous jackass interject with his incredibly poor opinions. And it’s all about trying to twist what his guests say to match his own preconceived notions.

I’d love an actual good hifi podcast, but I definitely haven’t found one. I enjoy AV Rant for home theater and The Next Track for old guys talking about classic rock and somewhat about music playback, but I have yet to find one with a bit of a gear bent that has a nominal basis in actual reality.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

Darko frustrates me to no end. He gets incredible guests on his podcast. In September he had the head of Kef’s R&D on to talk about the LS50 Meta, which is some legitimately cool new tech. And the guy had some great info and data.

And then you have to listen to this incredibly pompous jackass interject with his incredibly poor opinions. And it’s all about trying to twist what his guests say to match his own preconceived notions.

So he's Joe Rogan for audiophiles?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

BurritoJustice posted:

Darko? He recently did an article on how to be a "music first" audiophile and it meant you had to let other people have their delusions and not challenge them lol

Might've been, it was a video about things beginner audiophiles could ignore until later, which should've just been everything except a nice pair of headphones.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Top ten tips for beginner scam victims!

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I have a question, my house is prewired with speakers, but wallplate at the receiver was removed and some wires do not even have a connector. The subwoofer wire's connector was cut for example. If I wanted to use this subwoofer wire, do I just strip the plastic and stick it in the end of this thing?
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-10...ps%2C179&sr=8-3

Is there something better? I just want the wire to go directly to the receiver, because the wall plate is not even there anymore, but I was not sure what connector would work?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Femur posted:

I have a question, my house is prewired with speakers, but wallplate at the receiver was removed and some wires do not even have a connector. The subwoofer wire's connector was cut for example. If I wanted to use this subwoofer wire, do I just strip the plastic and stick it in the end of this thing?
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-10...ps%2C179&sr=8-3

Is there something better? I just want the wire to go directly to the receiver, because the wall plate is not even there anymore, but I was not sure what connector would work?

What gauge is the wire? You need something like this and a crimp tool, but it needs to be the correct connector for the wire.

https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-rca-male-crimp-on-connector-for-rg-6-u-quad--091-1060

Might be better to just use the existing wire as a pull cord to run a new wire through.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

KillHour posted:

What gauge is the wire? You need something like this and a crimp tool, but it needs to be the correct connector for the wire.

https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-rca-male-crimp-on-connector-for-rg-6-u-quad--091-1060

Might be better to just use the existing wire as a pull cord to run a new wire through.

Thank you for the tip, the wire doesn't seem to have any readable marks on it. The other end of the subwoofer wall plate is still installed, and it looks like a coxial connection(like cable tv small needle hole connection), so your item would still work?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

some purestrain avs :stonk:

quote:

Okay, so I'm a little embarrassed here. I'm not blaming anyone but myself, but I managed to blow both drivers on my LS50s. They were hooked up to a Peachtree Nova300, and yes, I had the volume turned all the way up. I'm new to audio, and until looking into what happened the next morning, I didn't know what clipping was. Please, be gentle.

1. Am I right in assuming that's what happened here?

2. Is there another possibility I'm not considering? I just want to make sure I learn the right lesson.

3. I'm assuming the cost to repair them will be greater than their value on the second-hand market, right?

Fortunately, I bought them used, so it's only a $500 mistake. I have a pair of Forte III's on the way, which are the speakers I originally wanted. Besides "don't turn the volume all the way up," what else should I know to make sure I don't make a truly expensive mistake next? I realize the Nova300's 450w x 2 power is completely overkill for the Forte's, and probably not the best choice for them, but I need to give my credit card a rest for a minute 😐

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ive never seen a driver blow a cone before it blew the coil. I think someone slashed your speaker or soemthing.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Do you have a link to that catastrophe? I can't even imagine what actually happened to that speaker and I really want to see the replies.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Found the post - https://www.avsforum.com/threads/kef-ls50-blew-both-drivers.3173473/

movax
Aug 30, 2008

:gonk:

I.... how?! I kind of want a pair of LS50s for my living room because I don't want to use a soundbar for music listening and I don't have anywhere to actually put up floor standing speakers, and have always wanted a pair. Probably a bit small, though.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
He didn't have a doorstop.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Can anyone justify the idea of blowing up speakers with too little power versus too much? It's parroted a lot but modern amps don't appear to clip really hard unless you're dumb and over-excursion seems more likely to cause instant damage

It just feels like in this context it's used by audiophiles to justify their 1200w monoblocks

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

in this context it's used by audiophiles to justify their 1200w monoblocks

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Almost as bad as the pervasive notion in the headphone/EM community that having an amp that can potentially put out 3W+ of power will make their IEMs running at .5mW sound more "powerful"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BurritoJustice posted:

Can anyone justify the idea of blowing up speakers with too little power versus too much? It's parroted a lot but modern amps don't appear to clip really hard unless you're dumb and over-excursion seems more likely to cause instant damage

It just feels like in this context it's used by audiophiles to justify their 1200w monoblocks

Clipping blows tweeters because they get overloaded with high-frequency overtones from the square waves that are generated. I've only ever seen this happen in live settings where they were trying to use too small amps for concerts. And it will sound like absolute hot garbage, so usually people turn it down way before damage happens.

Overloading drivers usually either melt the voice coils or if they can take it, mechanically damage the drivers from overexcursion. But you need quite a lot of power to do it instantly, or time for the coils to overheat.

That guy absolutely didn't blow his speakers with clipping, he blew then apart with way too much power.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Clipping blows tweeters because they get overloaded with high-frequency overtones from the square waves that are generated. I've only ever seen this happen in live settings where they were trying to use too small amps for concerts. And it will sound like absolute hot garbage, so usually people turn it down way before damage happens.

Overloading drivers usually either melt the voice coils or if they can take it, mechanically damage the drivers from overexcursion. But you need quite a lot of power to do it instantly, or time for the coils to overheat.

That guy absolutely didn't blow his speakers with clipping, he blew then apart with way too much power.

This.

The clipping thing is because a square wave is about 1.4x the power of a sine wave with the same amplitude. Speakers use the movement of the cone to cool the voice coil and a square wave and a sine wave both move the same amount of air. More power without more air to cool the coil can mean shorted coil (insulation melts and the wires touch, basically). It's only really a concern if the cooling is only barely sufficient under normal circumstances and you leave it like that for long enough to overheat. Basically, you need both an overloaded amp AND speakers that can't handle the added current load.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

"I'm new to audio, and until looking into what happened the next morning, I didn't know what clipping was."

Imagining how poo poo these must have sounded to murder the actual cones...

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

My old Cerwin Vega enormous speakers that I got in the 90's had fuses, and when I used those speakers for house parties in college I had to keep a stack of fuses on hand to replace them mid-party because inevitably someone would turn it up too loud. Thank goodness for those fuses.

Those were the perfect speakers for that kind of thing.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
does anyone have any thoughts on the Sonos Beam plus a pair of ONE SL speakers for surround sound? I'm in the market for a wireless surround solution just not sure what to get.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

SnatchRabbit posted:

does anyone have any thoughts on the Sonos Beam plus a pair of ONE SL speakers for surround sound? I'm in the market for a wireless surround solution just not sure what to get.

Ask HERE or HERE rather than the thread that's for mocking audiophiles.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

SnatchRabbit posted:

Haha you buy audio gear and want to know things about it

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Too much peak power below the cutoff of the cabinet resonance, most likely with some loving stupid BASS MADNESS equalisation on Winamp or something. It takes some effort to shred something that badly, especially if you can see the driver moving.

It’s cool though, a replacement is probably only about four times the price it should be from the manufacturer.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

shortspecialbus posted:

My old Cerwin Vega enormous speakers that I got in the 90's had fuses, and when I used those speakers for house parties in college I had to keep a stack of fuses on hand to replace them mid-party because inevitably someone would turn it up too loud. Thank goodness for those fuses.

Those were the perfect speakers for that kind of thing.

The first place I worked doing live sound had Peavey hisys stuff that used lightbulbs internally as fuses for the horns. Only saw them light up once. I was unaware, up until that point, that they were in there. I thought the stacks were burning.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I think I need to make a bespoke artisanal heirloom PC that will boot from vinyl.

https://hackaday.com/2020/11/23/booting-a-pc-from-vinyl-for-a-warmer-richer-os/

x-post from SH/SC — please recommend suitable power cable to improve the uh, "bitstage"

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

TTerrible posted:

The first place I worked doing live sound had Peavey hisys stuff that used lightbulbs internally as fuses for the horns. Only saw them light up once. I was unaware, up until that point, that they were in there. I thought the stacks were burning.

This makes things make a lot more sense. When I was 13-14, I was a "DJ" at a local teen club, and I managed to play music on the dancefloor loud enough to make the speakers glow inside. When I looked back at it as an adult, I always thought it was the coils glowing somehow, then I thought about how much power that would take and how much heat it would make and what that would do to the speaker. It didn't even occur to me until now over 25 years later it might have been a fuse that was also a bulb.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The lightbulb isn't the fuse, the lightbulb is parallel with the PTC fuse so that when it trips, it doesn't cut power off completely, it just acts as a big resistor. It's a lightbulb instead of a normal resistor to say "hey moron, turn it down."

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

KillHour posted:

The lightbulb isn't the fuse, the lightbulb is parallel with the PTC fuse so that when it trips, it doesn't cut power off completely, it just acts as a big resistor. It's a lightbulb instead of a normal resistor to say "hey moron, turn it down."

Reminds me of an idea I had for LED light strings in series. Put a zener diode in parallel with the led, and if the led dies, the voltage drop changes, making the zener diode go to pass-through.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

"I'm new to audio"

They just got their first hearing aid bless their hear :)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI-50CbwNKw

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

This is my Realizer from a German company called Kochenballz. Best $4k I've ever spent.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Wow, that guy is awful! Little anime figures in a basement, talking about that 4K thing being A UNIT!

Isn't this something that computers can just do in software anyway? It's how VR works, right? How could virtual speakers be something you WANT while listening to music?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

LRADIKAL posted:

Wow, that guy is awful! Little anime figures in a basement, talking about that 4K thing being A UNIT!

Isn't this something that computers can just do in software anyway? It's how VR works, right? How could virtual speakers be something you WANT while listening to music?

I honestly don’t ever know how to feel about Zeos

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like he is a fatass that looks at anime girls. It's amazing he doesn't get the pedo angle.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

That was the most annoying minute and a half of anything I've ever watched, is that really the widely spoken of Zeos of said eponymous reviews? And, if so, why do so many people watch him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Also the weird gun stuff.