Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Depp comes out of this with an eight figure paycheck, no work to do, rid of his abusive partner and thousands of new MRA fans.

The story pivoting to being "support Depp, he's a victim" reeks of misogyny - there's very little chance (in my speculation) he wasn't awful to her as well. Two wrongs do not make a right, and pretending that he's squeaky clean in all of this is very very dubious.

Movie stars don't ask to be role models, but it's part of the job, and this would be unacceptable at a gamestop, let alone leading roles that command EIGHT FIGURES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

RevKrule posted:

Any series where the main villain vapes the holocaust should probably be put out to pasture.

Vapes the Holocaust, presents ot as something he wants to stop and it still shown as the villain unabashedly.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

well why not posted:

The story pivoting to being "support Depp, he's a victim" reeks of misogyny - there's very little chance (in my speculation) he wasn't awful to her as well. Two wrongs do not make a right, and pretending that he's squeaky clean in all of this is very very dubious.

you're seeing a lot of non-MRA people pivot to that because the poo poo that came out from Heard was really, really loving awful, far beyond anything we've heard from or about Depp. it's kind of hard to support a monster against a drunk idiot.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

you're seeing a lot of non-MRA people pivot to that because the poo poo that came out from Heard was really, really loving awful, far beyond anything we've heard from or about Depp. it's kind of hard to support a monster against a drunk idiot.

Posting again what I posted two pages ago, from the Guardian:

quote:

Heard said Depp, after drinking heavily, had thrown objects at her, slapped her in the face and then kicked her in the back, causing her to fall over. He threw his boot at her on the floor, and passed out in the toilet. Denying the account, Depp said he had given her a “playful tap on the bottom with his foot”, and when she reacted badly, he took a pillow to the toilet and slept there. The judge said “this was more than a playful tap”.

While detoxing from painkiller dependency on his private island, Depp was said to have pushed Heard to the ground, slapped her, grabbed her by the hair and kicked a door so hard it splintered. The judge concluded it was “more likely than not he pushed Heard on at least one occasion”.

Over three days in Australia filming Pirates of the Caribbean, Depp was said to have put Heard “in fear of her life”. Heard claimed he had assaulted her multiple times. He severed his fingertip and scrawled graffiti in his blood on the walls. The judge did not accept Heard had been responsible for the severed fingertip through throwing a vodka bottle at Depp. He accepted Heard had been the victim of “sustained and multiple assaults”.

Heard said Depp had hit her “hard and repeatedly” before trying to push her sister down the stairs. The judge accepted Depp had assaulted Heard. Heard admitted hitting Depp, but the judge accepted it had been in defence of her sister.

Depp threw a phone at Heard, allegedly smashed items, and kicked a hole in a door at their apartment. After this, Heard filed a petition for the dissolution of her marriage and applied for a domestic restraining order against him. The judge said: “There is evidence which I find compelling of witnesses who saw Ms Heard with injuries to her face and who took photographs of these.”

These allegations are also really loving awful. Heard sounded pretty cruel in that recording, but beyond the cruelty of these allegations? Why does that make Heard a "monster" and Depp merely "a drunk idiot"? What's the difference, in your mind?

I know the answer is that people think Heard is making these allegations up, but given that a judge has upheld the truth of the events to a civil standard, I think that's highly unlikely. It doesn't make Heard a saint, but I do think she was abused by Johnny Depp.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 12, 2020

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I'm not sure where the narrative of 'only one of these people can be lovely' is coming in, they both sound like wretched people who treated eachother like garbage and should both be put on different ice flows out of society.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Yes, I am aware of The Sun's history, including their coverage of the Hillsborough disaster.

And Depp still managed to lose a libel case to noted lying liars.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vagabundo posted:

Yes, I am aware of The Sun's history, including their coverage of the Hillsborough disaster.

And Depp still managed to lose a libel case to noted lying liars.

Again, in England. There's a reason 'I'll sue you in England!' was in that one South Park episode about Scientology.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Again, in England. There's a reason 'I'll sue you in England!' was in that one South Park episode about Scientology.

I think you have this the wrong way, defamation law in England tends to be in the favour of the person making the suit, ie it should have been in favour of Johnny Depp, so the fact that he lost despite that is significant.

This was a contributing factor to how Savile got away with his sexual abuse for so long even though everyone knew -- media organisations were afraid of libel cases.

edit: unless this is what you were pointing out, I just realised your post could be read either agreeing with Vagabundo or disagreeing with him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea not sure if that was pro or anti but England's hilariously terrible standards for a famous person being 'defamed' was prime for Depp, who basically just had to prove in court they didn't 100% know he was an abuser and it's bad to be called an abuser ergo they did a slander to him.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Honestly. Saying "but the libel laws in England!" or "But but but The Sun!" isn't the rebuttal that some, mostly the people on the previous page, clearly think it is. Depp had the inside track, against a paper with a terrible reputation, and he still lost.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 15, 2020

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This story got buried when the tweets first came out in June, but it's resurfaced lately: Multiple female ex-staffers have spoken publicly about abusive workplace practices at Hasan Minhaj's Patriot Act.

When the story first emerged months ago, a few small news outlets sought comments from Minhaj but faced complete radio silence. Larger news outlets have also ignored these complaints when reporting, usually very positively, about the show's recent cancellation.

I was reflecting on why nobody seems to care about these tweets. Part of the problem may be that the stories are pretty short on details. But in the case of Ellen, that didn't stop major news outlets from doing the legwork and interviewing dozens of current and former employees.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vegetable posted:

This story got buried when the tweets first came out in June, but it's resurfaced lately: Multiple female ex-staffers have spoken publicly about abusive workplace practices at Hasan Minhaj's Patriot Act.

When the story first emerged months ago, a few small news outlets sought comments from Minhaj but faced complete radio silence. Larger news outlets have also ignored these complaints when reporting, usually very positively, about the show's recent cancellation.

I was reflecting on why nobody seems to care about these tweets. Part of the problem may be that the stories are pretty short on details. But in the case of Ellen, that didn't stop major news outlets from doing the legwork and interviewing dozens of current and former employees.

The main reason not as many people care is nowhere near as many people know who he is. I'm not saying it's not bad (definitely feel a lot better about ignoring Netflix every time it said I'd like his show), but we're talking about different stratospheres of power and public recognition.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
The fairer comparison would be why hasn't the media covered scandals at Roosterteeth or Funhaus or one of the many other YouTube channels that had scandals and probably similar viewership. It's a smaller number of people who care and the people who care probably aren't reading much "mainstream" media anyway. It's easy to fire out an article bemoaning Netflix canceling another show, it takes work to put together an accusation. I don't know how big Patriot Act really got, personally it feels like it just came and went. The lack of details isn't helping either and there's not a clear point to jump in. If it was "just" a toxic workplace then it's going to be easy for people to just dismiss it as a stressful Hollywood environment and move on.

Ellen had details along with a long history of rumors about how terrible she was, even if it hadn't cracked the mainstream line. As soon as anyone cared to look all they had to do was find one of those long tweet threads where comedians took turns telling Ellen stories. Then you just keep digging.

And the fact that it's already been canceled doesn't help. When there's no real answer or punishment possible it tends to take the wind out of people's sails.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I stopped paying attention to Funhaus ages ago, what happened there?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
In a weirdly fitting thing I can't find a good writeup because it mostly broke through communities and Twitter, and since I was more of an occasional watcher too I'm not too sure. I just saw the fallout in the Youtuber thread here when it happened.

This was the best quick summary I could find without diving into a few Reddit threads. It's hard because it emerged from a 4Chan/8Chan thing.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/10/adam-kovic-ryan-haywood-rooster-teeth-scandal/

Adam Kovic from Funhaus and Ryan Haywood from Roosterteeth had a bunch of nudes and files get leaked, which apparently feed into or verified some general rumor that Haywood was creeping on underaged fans. There were a few accusations, I think, although the main one said he thought she was 18. Either way not good to creep on fans and he got dumped pretty quickly. This has been a recurring problem with YouTubers so people are pretty ready to tell stars doing this to go away.

Kovic's was a lot fuzzier from what I remember. I'm not sure how much they wanted to dig either. Apparently his nude leaks included some bad pictures, like one of him jacking off on a coworker's keyboard, taking nudes and having sex at the office and seemingly taking pictures or a video of his partner without her knowledge. Plus once the knives were out a lot of stuff seemed to leak that he was genuinely a lovely, toxic person just in general.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I stopped paying attention to Funhaus ages ago, what happened there?

Adam Kovic got fired after photos and videos of him doing stuff like wanking in the offices, and some footage of him with his wife that he’d filmed leaked. It appears he got catfished, and was a serial cheater (it’s also possible his wife had no idea any filming was going on) but there’s been no public comment from her.

Rahul Kohli also revealed Kovic was the reason why he stopped appearing in FH content, and several former and current employees have at the very least implied they weren’t too sad to see him go, like Lawrence Sontagg.

This all came out at the same time as Ryan Haywood from RoosterTeeth being outed as a sexual predator, and ended up getting buried under the deluge of statements and allegations that were being made.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

Adam Kovic got fired after photos and videos of him doing stuff like wanking in the offices, and some footage of him with his wife that he’d filmed leaked. It appears he got catfished, and was a serial cheater (it’s also possible his wife had no idea any filming was going on) but there’s been no public comment from her.

Rahul Kohli also revealed Kovic was the reason why he stopped appearing in FH content, and several former and current employees have at the very least implied they weren’t too sad to see him go, like Lawrence Sontagg.

This all came out at the same time as Ryan Haywood from RoosterTeeth being outed as a sexual predator, and ended up getting buried under the deluge of statements and allegations that were being made.

The last ~6 months were big for people getting called out in a lot of video game/internet adjacent circles. The Smash Bros video game community had multiple top tier players/contributors called out for predatory behavior, there's the stuff above from RT/Funhaus, Ubisoft was exposed as having a horrific misogynist culture that tied into the overall discussing of workplace sexual harassment issues in France as a whole, the list goes on.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

In a weirdly fitting thing I can't find a good writeup because it mostly broke through communities and Twitter, and since I was more of an occasional watcher too I'm not too sure. I just saw the fallout in the Youtuber thread here when it happened.

This was the best quick summary I could find without diving into a few Reddit threads. It's hard because it emerged from a 4Chan/8Chan thing.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/10/adam-kovic-ryan-haywood-rooster-teeth-scandal/

Adam Kovic from Funhaus and Ryan Haywood from Roosterteeth had a bunch of nudes and files get leaked, which apparently feed into or verified some general rumor that Haywood was creeping on underaged fans. There were a few accusations, I think, although the main one said he thought she was 18. Either way not good to creep on fans and he got dumped pretty quickly. This has been a recurring problem with YouTubers so people are pretty ready to tell stars doing this to go away.

Kovic's was a lot fuzzier from what I remember. I'm not sure how much they wanted to dig either. Apparently his nude leaks included some bad pictures, like one of him jacking off on a coworker's keyboard, taking nudes and having sex at the office and seemingly taking pictures or a video of his partner without her knowledge. Plus once the knives were out a lot of stuff seemed to leak that he was genuinely a lovely, toxic person just in general.

There were waaay more than just a few..there were dozens, with proof in the form of screengrabs. He also had a really gross fascination with 'helping' young teenagers lose their virginity with him.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Achievement_Hunter/comments/j761ok/if_youre_out_of_the_loop_click_here/

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Autechresaint posted:

There were waaay more than just a few..there were dozens, with proof in the form of screengrabs. He also had a really gross fascination with 'helping' young teenagers lose their virginity with him.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Achievement_Hunter/comments/j761ok/if_youre_out_of_the_loop_click_here/

Haywood's persona was being the family guy on the team, and for years everyone always joked about how he'd book at least 1 extra hotel day during cons to "get away from the fam" when in reality those extra days were for him to sleep with teenagers he groomed over social media.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/io9/status/1331284920988291076?s=20

https://twitter.com/screenrant/status/1331365630411476994?s=20

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Acceptable.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
How are they going to write him out? Shiiiiit I love that show.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

How are they going to write him out? Shiiiiit I love that show.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

pentyne posted:

Haywood's persona was being the family guy on the team, and for years everyone always joked about how he'd book at least 1 extra hotel day during cons to "get away from the fam" when in reality those extra days were for him to sleep with teenagers he groomed over social media.

yea I think one reason the hammer came down SO fast was the general factor of 'oh okay the dude who we joke about being mr family man taking a little me time on tour was actually using that me time to bang teens he groomed, awesome that makes me feel super good about everything'.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Quinton Flynn: voice actor for Kingdom Hearts/Metal Gear

https://twitter.com/BewareQFlynn/status/1327021175306919936?s=20

https://twitter.com/vivarockbella/status/1330617919651278849?s=20

https://twitter.com/ModRainValkyria/status/1333544517618835457?s=20

https://www.thegamer.com/quinton-flynn-sexual-predator-harassment-kingdom-hearts-metal-gear/
https://www.thegamer.com/quinton-flynn-wife-twitter-abuse-harassment-doxxing-report-evidence-abuse/

https://gamerant.com/metal-gear-kingdom-hearts-voice-quinton-flynn-sexual-harassment-accusations/

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/nytimesmusic/status/1337445372386480132?s=20

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Johnny Depp may or may not be an abuser but it is clear, he is a tremendously huge rear end in a top hat and that alone would have cost him his career eventually

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/f...df3yxShzmYsF4y4

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Johnny Depp may or may not be an abuser but it is clear, he is a tremendously huge rear end in a top hat and that alone would have cost him his career eventually

This is actually a remarkable read. Depp is every cliche about diva actors rolled into one.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://twitter.com/triplej/status/1338328770558611458

things mounting against LaBeouf...

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Yeah, it's rarely just one.

Did not see this coming, mostly because LaBeouf has been off my radar for so long I kind of just forgot he was a thing.

Edit:

Rhyno posted:

"But the Minamata-type paydays won't keep the lights on in Depp's 14 homes."

So sell 13 of them and only keep the one that's cheapest.

Actually, he probably can keep like 4 of them, according to the article Minamata paid him 6 million dollars.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 14, 2020

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's been really weird to see Depp still described as having had his career ruined when he's still working. It's especially odd when someone like Robert Blake who's career was actually ended is right there.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Johnny Depp may or may not be an abuser but it is clear

According to the British courts, where - as has been repeatedly stated in this very thread - the person claiming to have been libelled has the inside running, he is absolutely an abuser.

And I think this bears repeating, before the Depp stans come swinging in to claim that Depp was just a poor, drunken fool, while Heard is an abusive monstrous monster.

Vagabundo posted:

Honestly. Saying "but the libel laws in England!" or "But but but The Sun!" isn't the rebuttal that some, mostly the people on the previous page, clearly think it is. Depp had the inside track, against a paper with a terrible reputation, and he still lost.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Did not see this coming, mostly because LaBeouf has been off my radar for so long I kind of just forgot he was a thing.

While "he seems like the guy" is kind of a lovely line, he seems like the guy to have serious anger issues.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shia is well-documented as and is self-admittedly an abrasive rear end in a top hat and alcoholic, "anger issues" (not really a meaningful term) aside. I guess the difference is that when you're a white dude in Hollywood you can make a movie about it and get away with being a walking disaster pretty much forever, even if you lose parts over it.

Depp has been an A-lister going on twenty years and will never lack for work. "Depp was paid just $3 million!" is :rolleyes: supreme, no one holding the purse strings really cared about this before and no one really cares now.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Let's be real: 3 million is more than enough money to never have to work again, most people live their whole lives without making that much.

You can live an extremely affluent life with 3 million dollars.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Let's be real: 3 million is more than enough money to never have to work again, most people live their whole lives without making that much.

You can live an extremely affluent life with 3 million dollars.

Well you could, Depp's gonna blow that on booze in less than a month.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It would also require you to move out of LA, which most celebs will never do.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

It would also require you to move out of LA, which most celebs will never do.

while complaining about how terrible LA is.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Skwirl posted:

Well you could, Depp's gonna blow that on booze in less than a month.

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Booze $3,000,000
Utility $150

Depp: Someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. My career is dying.

Everyone Else: Spend less on booze.

Depp: No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Booze $3,000,000
Utility $150

Depp: Someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. My career is dying.

Everyone Else: Spend less on booze.

Depp: No.

You forgot the part where he sues the person who told him to spend less money on booze.