Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
for real though the performance can’t be worse than my 2017 12” MacBook with the low power intel whatever chip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

All my iPhone poo poo is in the App Store to download, tempted to get some iphone games and see how they run.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

you should try getting over it with Bennett Foddy

Apr 7, 2003

I will deliberately never try anything that anyone in yospos suggests.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol at the very concept of playing video games on a mac

the last good mac game was marathon 2

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

holy poo poo y'all, saying stupid disingenuous poo poo and then just repeating it over and over is tori's entire thing. he just says whatever dumb poo poo will get a rise out of people, there's no consistency or rationale behind it. if you take your average boring internet troll and take out the racism/homophobia/etc, you get tori. all that poo poo sartre said about antisemites applies, except that of course tori isn't antisemitic

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

for real tho tori, you did good on this one. it was pretty funny

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

qirex posted:

the brief few weeks of mac exclusivity for q3test

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
mac has simcity, marathon, and where in the world is Carmen sandiego

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I keep a g4 around for playing myst, riven, oregon trail

Apr 7, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

holy poo poo y'all, saying stupid disingenuous poo poo and then just repeating it over and over is tori's entire thing. he just says whatever dumb poo poo will get a rise out of people, there's no consistency or rationale behind it. if you take your average boring internet troll and take out the racism/homophobia/etc, you get tori. all that poo poo sartre said about antisemites applies, except that of course tori isn't antisemitic

The Apple M1 is being talked about by the tech media as some sort of incredible raw performance breakthrough.

It isn't.

If pointing that out is trolling, then I guess I'm a troll.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I used to try, back in the 90s I got in flame wars with people and posted about how rad spectre and spaceward ho! were then I finally admitted I was a casual and started buying consoles

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I haven’t finished any AAA titles since I became gainfully employed again

Apr 7, 2003

Grim Fandango Remastered runs pretty good, congratulations on Apple creating a CPU that can run a graphic adventure from the late nineties well I guess.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The Apple M1 is being talked about by the tech media as some sort of incredible raw performance breakthrough.

It isn't.

If pointing that out is trolling, then I guess I'm a troll.

You're suppose to do tech media things like edit video in final cut and browse in safari, running microsoft business apps is about 50th place on apples priority list.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

Nah, it’s still the spaceship game screensaver that I think came with After Dark?

Edit: Lunatic Fringe?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
escape velocity

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Greebles

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
who the gently caress is tori

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

haveblue posted:

escape velocity

how are there not lazy ios ports of all those ambrosia games

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Grim Fandango Remastered runs pretty good, congratulations on Apple creating a CPU that can run a graphic adventure from the late nineties well I guess.

impressive ninja editing skills to get the screenshot containing the post that contains the screenshot

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i apologize; my earlier post about games on mac was grossly misleading and out of date. there is also oregon trail and warcraft iii

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

:hmmyes:

but you're our troll

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

impressive ninja editing skills to get the screenshot containing the post that contains the screenshot

slick, huh?

coke
Jul 12, 2009
glad i literally just bought the higher spec 2018 mac mini and ordered two extra sticks of 32gb ram somewhere else hoping it will last another 5 years, it's replacing a 2007 imac anyway so either way it's a step up

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

also it is named in honor of a gun that slaughtered countless innocent koreans. real classy poo poo timb :rolleyes:

lol remember the time the people came up with apple releasing faceid to oppress muslims because it's unusable for people wearing full face burka and it needed them to take off their face covering for it to scan?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol at people making excuses for poo poo performance

its a mobile processor so you need to wait until they release the mobile versions of your apps for it

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

who the gently caress is tori

no idea what your serious level is but if not i still have no idea if that’s a reference to an old nick or what

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mod saas posted:

no idea what your serious level is but if not i still have no idea if that’s a reference to an old nick or what

Pittsburgh stymie used to be tori cmos

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm entertayned that in c-spam they all still call him citizen tayne since that's the name he was using when he first trolled them into oblivion

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I'm entertayned that in c-spam they all still call him citizen tayne since that's the name he was using when he first trolled them into oblivion

I've trolled SpiderHyphenMan into getting himself probated for 3 days multiple times

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i salute you for your service in c-spam tori

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

coke posted:

glad i literally just bought the higher spec 2018 mac mini and ordered two extra sticks of 32gb ram somewhere else hoping it will last another 5 years, it's replacing a 2007 imac anyway so either way it's a step up

I have a 2018 Mac mini and upgraded the RAM myself. you’re gonna need a set of torx screwdrivers with like 6mm security bits (which are super uncommon at that size), and I think maybe also some pentalobe bits or you aren’t getting it open.

had to order an ifixit set.

also there are one million screws and delicate ribbon cables etc inside.

edit: the M1 Mac mini is gonna be way more future proof.

Apr 7, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i salute you for your service in c-spam tori

Working hard, thank you!

Apr 7, 2003

Doc Block posted:

there are one million screws

That reminds me, tell your mom I said hi

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

infernal machines posted:

this seems to be the big assumption, that the design scales up like that. it'll be wild if it does, but that's not a given

gpu scaling is one of the easiest scaling problems, and the fact that it's so power efficient makes the job a lot easier

Shifty Pony posted:

it is a fantastic iGPU and just like the rest of the package it lights one hell of a fire under Intel, but it is still hamstrung by the things that always limit the performance of iGPUs like having to use system memory which isn't optimized for reading blocks of textures over and over and over like HBM GDDR is. for that HBM helps a lot but benchmarks put the M1 at about 60GB/s of memory bandwidth which (in addition to not being graphics optimized) is roughly comparable to to a 13 year old GeForce 8800 gt.

you're not looking at enough number though

texel fillrate: m1=82Gtexel/s, 8800gt=33.6Gtexel/s
pixel fillrate: m1=41Gpixel/s, 8800gt=9.6Gpixel/s
gfxbench 4.0 offscreen t-rex: m1=649.5fps, 8800gt=107.3fps

6x frame rate (in this benchmark, hard to find things that have been run on both) despite 1x memory BW, 4.2x pixel fillrate, and 2.44x texel fillrate.

this is possible because apple gpus use a tile based deferred rendering algorithm (TBDR), not immediate mode rendering (IMR) as seen in nvidia and amd gpus. TBDR gpus use on-chip SRAM tile buffers for much of their memory traffic instead of going all the way out to DRAM. they also get to discard fully obscured pixels (fragments) early in the pipeline, which means they need less fill rate than IMR in most cases

this is why it's not a big deal that m1 "only" has 60GB/s memory BW available (and shared between CPU and GPU at that). the m1 gpu doesn't need as much BW as an IMR GPU does

this plays into scaling too. since TBDR GPU rendering 'cores' each have their own set of tile buffer SRAMs, adding more cores perfectly scales on-chip tile buffer BW. off-chip traffic grows too, of course, but at a much slower rate than IMR gpus.

the biggest challenge for apple gpu is software optimization. getting maximum benefit from TBDR requires some care. basically, do things in the right order with the right modes so as to maximize the amount of work done per tile buffer load/store, avoid load/store entirely for temporary buffers, and so forth

so, this poo poo is why i think results from the m1 gpu are very promising. does it poo poo on desktop gpus the way the m1 cpu is making GBS threads on many desktop cpus? no, but achieving low end dgpu performance on a fraction of the power and memory BW is significant. it means that if apple decides to scale it up adequately in post-M1 chips (or chipsets) targeted at bigger macs, you won't miss amd all that much

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

computer go beep boop

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

which is a shame because tori cmos is still an S tier username

Apr 7, 2003

BobHoward posted:

gpu scaling is one of the easiest scaling problems, and the fact that it's so power efficient makes the job a lot easier

you're not looking at enough number though

texel fillrate: m1=82Gtexel/s, 8800gt=33.6Gtexel/s
pixel fillrate: m1=41Gpixel/s, 8800gt=9.6Gpixel/s
gfxbench 4.0 offscreen t-rex: m1=649.5fps, 8800gt=107.3fps

6x frame rate (in this benchmark, hard to find things that have been run on both) despite 1x memory BW, 4.2x pixel fillrate, and 2.44x texel fillrate.

this is possible because apple gpus use a tile based deferred rendering algorithm (TBDR), not immediate mode rendering (IMR) as seen in nvidia and amd gpus. TBDR gpus use on-chip SRAM tile buffers for much of their memory traffic instead of going all the way out to DRAM. they also get to discard fully obscured pixels (fragments) early in the pipeline, which means they need less fill rate than IMR in most cases

this is why it's not a big deal that m1 "only" has 60GB/s memory BW available (and shared between CPU and GPU at that). the m1 gpu doesn't need as much BW as an IMR GPU does

this plays into scaling too. since TBDR GPU rendering 'cores' each have their own set of tile buffer SRAMs, adding more cores perfectly scales on-chip tile buffer BW. off-chip traffic grows too, of course, but at a much slower rate than IMR gpus.

the biggest challenge for apple gpu is software optimization. getting maximum benefit from TBDR requires some care. basically, do things in the right order with the right modes so as to maximize the amount of work done per tile buffer load/store, avoid load/store entirely for temporary buffers, and so forth

so, this poo poo is why i think results from the m1 gpu are very promising. does it poo poo on desktop gpus the way the m1 cpu is making GBS threads on many desktop cpus? no, but achieving low end dgpu performance on a fraction of the power and memory BW is significant. it means that if apple decides to scale it up adequately in post-M1 chips (or chipsets) targeted at bigger macs, you won't miss amd all that much

It barely runs subnautica

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/gravislizard/status/1331470268284293122?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

man i just like c64s and ataris and poo poo, i’ve never once thought “wow i need this 70s mainframe in my living room”