Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
I'm mostly making this thread for selfish reasons. My family lives in the country and I live in the city. They're going to have a normal Thanksgiving, but I'm going to be good and stay home this year so as to not potentially kill them.

Post ITT if ur in a similar sitch or just wanna talk turkey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm seeing exactly one human being for Thanksgiving and it's because I see them every day.

I made crack pies though so I guess that's good.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Post your Thanksgiving meal strategy:

I'm a firm believer in dessert, THEN green beans, then potatoes and dressing. Turkey is illegal.

Areola Grande

I'm going to buy a J.J. Gargantuan from Jimmy John's later today and eat it all day tomorrow like a boa with a gator

FluffieDuckie

Everyone who stays home tomorrow is a hero who should be allowed to eat anything they want including swallowing sandwiches whole.

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

pecan

lol I just cheat my way of the whole ordeal by being canadian

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
My wife and I are doing a big feast alone at home and eating on Zoom with some friends, then later this week I am going to package up some leftovers and drop them off with my parents. In exchange my mom said she'd make a cheeseball for the handoff and also finally pass down her recipe to me.

I'm pretty excited about our menu, it's almost done and everything is real tasty so far:

Main Course
Sweet potato and black bean enchiladas with pepita mole

Soup
Curried squash soup

Veggie
Roasted brussels sprouts with chipotle honey glaze

Sides
Chili lime pepitas
Cranberry pico de gallo

Dessert
Pumpkin cheesecake tart

Beverages
Mixed berry, honey and mint kombucha and a truly horrid new mocktail I call the "frisky sour," for me, whiskey I think for my wife.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Areola Grande

How Wonderful! posted:

My wife and I are doing a big feast alone at home and eating on Zoom with some friends, then later this week I am going to package up some leftovers and drop them off with my parents. In exchange my mom said she'd make a cheeseball for the handoff and also finally pass down her recipe to me.

I'm pretty excited about our menu, it's almost done and everything is real tasty so far:

Main Course
Sweet potato and black bean enchiladas with pepita mole

Soup
Curried squash soup

Veggie
Roasted brussels sprouts with chipotle honey glaze

Sides
Chili lime pepitas
Cranberry pico de gallo

Dessert
Pumpkin cheesecake tart

Beverages
Mixed berry, honey and mint kombucha and a truly horrid new mocktail I call the "frisky sour," for me, whiskey I think for my wife.

:ali: MY WIFE

Areola Grande

srsly though, as meat free thanksgivings go yours sounds like a true smorgasbord. bon appetit 2 u both

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

How Wonderful!

*gestures at my wife*
You call that a wife?
*thumps my own chest aggressively like a chief ape*
THIS is a wife

Bingo Bango

How Wonderful! posted:

*gestures at my wife*
You call that a wife?
THIS is a wife

I am wife and want to clarify that they "frisky sour" is just a tablespoon of citric acid in a glass of water.

We also have a lemon lulu cake my dad sent us, so plan on eating most of that tomorrow as well.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

My parents have been like the most careful humans with regards to covid but somehow my mom managed to test positive on sunday. She's doing fine and basically asymptomatic, but it means she is isolating up in the country and my dad has to quarantine so even the tiny thanksgiving we had planned is cancelled. My dad is still gonna cook some stuff and maybe I'll go pick up a plate tomorrow or maybe we will eat outside at separate tables or something if the weather is nice? Usually thansgiving is a giant party for us with 80 of our closest relatives, so it's kind of a bummer, but also that giant 3 day food orgy is kind of exhausting so maybe a break was in order anyway?

How Wonderful! posted:

*gestures at my wife*
You call that a wife?
THIS is a wife
two wifes, happy lifes

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Areola Grande

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

that giant 3 day food orgy is kind of exhausting so maybe a break was in order anyway?

Thanksgiving is always exhausting for me, so I'm secretly relieved to have an excuse to skip it for once.

at the same time I'm a little pissed off/jealous that my family is going ahead with turkey day without me. It doesn't seem safe. I can't help but dwell on the fact that they get all their news from a certain tv news source which I shall not name ITT. meanwhile I'm in the city listening to npr news in my sensible Honda Accord and slowly dying of loneliness as the divide widens

:smithfrog:

pecan

if u need it, KS, I can provide awkward family table talk here

Bingo Bango

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

My parents have been like the most careful humans with regards to covid but somehow my mom managed to test positive on sunday. She's doing fine and basically asymptomatic, but it means she is isolating up in the country and my dad has to quarantine so even the tiny thanksgiving we had planned is cancelled. My dad is still gonna cook some stuff and maybe I'll go pick up a plate tomorrow or maybe we will eat outside at separate tables or something if the weather is nice? Usually thansgiving is a giant party for us with 80 of our closest relatives, so it's kind of a bummer, but also that giant 3 day food orgy is kind of exhausting so maybe a break was in order anyway?

two wifes, happy lifes

Hope your mom recovers quickly! I miss the giant Thanksgivings we had when I was a kid, we had so many traditions and we always celebrated with 2-3 other families. I think this is the first year I'm not making the family potatoes (sometimes called Dutch potatoes, I think?) but surprisingly I'm not bummed about it since we're having enchiladas and they friggin rule.

pecan

what was up with all those buckles? what were the pilgrims thinking

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

prepuce repurposed posted:

Thanksgiving is always exhausting for me, so I'm secretly relieved to have an excuse to skip it for once.

at the same time I'm a little pissed off/jealous that my family is going ahead with turkey day without me. It doesn't seem safe. I can't help but dwell on the fact that they get all their news from a certain tv news source which I shall not name ITT. meanwhile I'm in the city listening to npr news in my sensible Honda Accord and slowly dying of loneliness as the divide widens

:smithfrog:

least you have a cute dog and 3 more jars of skippy to comfort you!

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

pecan

I yam what I yam haha like the food

more falafel please

forums poster

Bingo Bango posted:

I am wife and want to clarify that they "frisky sour" is just a tablespoon of citric acid in a glass of water.

lol

I'm making a turkey for the first time ever. I'm gonna cut it into parts and dry brine today. borat voice my wife and I are also making mashed potatoes, stuffing, roasted Brussels sprouts, mac & cheese, pumpkin pie, apple crumble, and cookies. we're delivering desserts to our 3 families who are all in the area today, and bringing a few friends plates of leftovers tomorrow

my brothers-in-law have both decided in the last like two days that they're going to my inlaws tomorrow, and I'm really pissed at them about it. MIL/FIL work in healthcare and can't work from home, one BIL works on a factory floor where they just stopped reporting the covid cases because if they reported them they'd have to be shut down all the time. they take this to mean that since they're at high risk of exposure, they can just do whatever. their 85 yo grandfather is also in the house. of course now we're also the only assholes who aren't coming to thanksgiving. guess I'll see them at the funeral

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Areola Grande

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

least you have a cute dog and 3 more jars of skippy to comfort you!

I'm v thankful to have these things, and especially thankful that I have byob :glomp:

How Wonderful!

more falafel please posted:

my brothers-in-law have both decided in the last like two days that they're going to my inlaws tomorrow, and I'm really pissed at them about it. MIL/FIL work in healthcare and can't work from home, one BIL works on a factory floor where they just stopped reporting the covid cases because if they reported them they'd have to be shut down all the time. they take this to mean that since they're at high risk of exposure, they can just do whatever. their 85 yo grandfather is also in the house. of course now we're also the only assholes who aren't coming to thanksgiving. guess I'll see them at the funeral

Yeah initially my brother and his fiance were initially going to come down to visit my parents and I was pretty irritated but my mom finally talked them out of it.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

pecan posted:

I yam what I yam haha like the food

Stuff it

The turkey I mean, it's into some weird poo poo

more falafel please

forums poster

How Wonderful! posted:

Yeah initially my brother and his fiance were initially going to come down to visit my parents and I was pretty irritated but my mom finally talked them out of it.

her mom is very upset if we're late for like, flag day so the fact that we're not coming to thanksgiving might be a major slight. I'm not backing down though, it's not personal

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

My idiot parents--my mom has cancer and my dad is hella old and medically fragile with diabetes and also get their news from Unnamed Channel--invited my sister, her kids, her bf and the weird guy that lives next to them over. My sister is asymptomatic right now but positive. I'm livid.

xcheopis

It's been a terrible time for myself and my housemate and we just can't be assed to cook anything, so I spent my food budget on pre-cooked food from Rockridge Market Hall.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

xcheopis posted:

It's been a terrible time for myself and my housemate and we just can't be assed to cook anything, so I spent my food budget on pre-cooked food from Rockridge Market Hall.

This was an incredibly good choice.

xcheopis

Kief Richards posted:

This was an incredibly good choice.

I love their food but it's sooo expensive! First time I've shopped there in about 8 or 9 years.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

xcheopis posted:

I love their food but it's sooo expensive! First time I've shopped there in about 8 or 9 years.

It's worth it this year, of all years. I crave the bakery's morning buns regularly.

xcheopis

Kief Richards posted:

It's worth it this year, of all years. I crave the bakery's morning buns regularly.

Yes. Yes, it is.

The bakery line was too long but I bought other stuff at other fancy-pants stores AND found my Melvit crackers!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Trendy Lunch, best crackers!!!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

For 12 years I worked in a high security emergency response and monitoring office for the natural gas industry. The system required 24/7 monitoring and due to this, I almost always worked on holidays. I haven't had Thanksgiving dinner with family in years. Well, I don't work there anymore and I still can't have Thanksgiving dinner with family. My brother had a major heart attack and is recovering with my parents who are both elderly and compromised, and I will beat anybody up who even tries to go near their house. My in-laws are also elderly and compromised, so I guess what I'm trying to say is gently caress covid and gently caress 2020. I'm just going to sit at home and eat snacks and be thankful that everyone in my family is still with us.

xcheopis

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

For 12 years I worked in a high security emergency response and monitoring office for the natural gas industry. The system required 24/7 monitoring and due to this, I almost always worked on holidays. I haven't had Thanksgiving dinner with family in years. Well, I don't work there anymore and I still can't have Thanksgiving dinner with family. My brother had a major heart attack and is recovering with my parents who are both elderly and compromised, and I will beat anybody up who even tries to go near their house. My in-laws are also elderly and compromised, so I guess what I'm trying to say is gently caress covid and gently caress 2020. I'm just going to sit at home and eat snacks and be thankful that everyone in my family is still with us.

Been such a rough year for so many.
:sympathy:

Stoner Sloth

xcheopis posted:

Been such a rough year for so many.
:sympathy:

sending all my american posting pals best wishes and chill vibes, hoping that whatever you're doing you have a nice thanksgiving dinner and that next year is better for everyone

:glomp:

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

How Wonderful!

I had a pretty bad panic attack about unrelated things just prior to hopping on zoom with our friends but I think the dinner was nice. I think it's funny that a mouse is just in all of these pictures.

There's an enchilada with all the extra stuff on it, salsa, sour cream, pickled red onion, pepitas, other hot sauce. All the extra stuff.

more falafel please

forums poster

I did my dark and terrible work (cutting up a turkey and dry-brining it) and made stuffing and figured out how to make gravy. wife made desserts that we delivered to all the suburbs plus mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. so tomorrow we just have to make Mac and cheese, Brussels sprouts, pie, and sweet potatoes and get on three zoom calls

Moo Cowabunga

[Office Worker.

I don’t give thanks

how is it done? the bigger the bird the bigger the thanks?

Platinum User Pot Smoke Phoenix!

VANISHER

HEATHER PAPPS

https://giant.gfycat.com/WellgroomedImperfectHaddock.webm the vanisher

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Good morning and welcome to HELL COOKING with me, your host, Kief Richards.

The main meal is being catered (lol rip it'll be interesting for sure), but I'm in charge of desserts, cheese tray, breads and drinks. I'm not pleased, I prefer to do this all myself, but it was a compromise for my bf so we can spend more time together.

So far this morning I have turned out 4 loaves of Dutch crunch bread (aka bread with delicious razor blades on top), a berry clafouti, a brown butter crack pie (made ahead day before), and my next targets are an apple galette and the cheese tray arrangement.

Cheese tray is:

-prosciutto
-chianti salami
-beef summer sausage
-cranberry fresh cheddar
-7 year aged Irish cheddar
-1000 day aged gouda
-rosé infused fontina
-herb and garlic chevre, spreadable
-cream havarti
-camembert, baked in rough puff pastry
-buffalo burrata
-green grapes (iirc they're chardonnay, not my fave)
-black grapes (the best grapes)
-honey crisp apples
-strawberries
-fresh handmade crackers (made last night)
-an assortment of store bought crackers
-brioche rolls, for important sandwich ideas
-six bottles of the weirdest wines I could find
-perrier
-la croix (obv)
-whiskey sours (it's a bloody cheese course but I do not care)

This should be interesting considering it's only four of us and I'm allergic to casein but bf wanted a cheese tray so he gets a cheese tray.

AARD VARKMAN

prepuce repurposed posted:

I'm going to buy a J.J. Gargantuan from Jimmy John's later today and eat it all day tomorrow like a boa with a gator

i was going to do this with a giant from jersey mike's but i made the key mistake of getting really drunk last night so now there's only 1/4 left of it. i may have to go to the grocery store today :(

Manifisto

in the before days I would use various trains and subways to visit my parents for thanksgiving; this year given all the risks we've decided not to get together (and my brother and his family, who live out in Berkeley, are in no position to visit either). so it's virtual visiting and, for my part, a somewhat minimal (for thanksgiving) but still tasty sounding meal, a vegetarian shepherd's pie with sweet potato topping, and possibly yorkshire pudding as well. solidarity with all my fellow stay at home yobbers!

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile

I am doing some small virtual Thanksgivings this year with friends and random family members. I don't really like Thanksgiving foods, so I ain't gonna eat em. Instead I'm going to have sherried sardine avocado toast for dinner with a very busy salad and a simple pasta dish with a lemon butter sauce. For lunch I will probably just have a big bowl of chili and maybe a couple beers.