Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
In actual testing the difference between the Noctua NF-A14 and the cheaper NF-P14S is within the margin of error and tends to the cheaper fan's favor in some areas.

NF-A14 1500 PWM: 1,311 RPM @12v, 75.6 CFM, 21.5 db
NF-P14S Redux 1500 PWM: 1,306 RPM @ 11v, 83.2 CFM, 21.5db

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U8-OjGwk8o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fqZSPCRZ2s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Price drop on the i9 9900k on amazon... Seems like a great option if I can't wait for my 5800x to come. I primarily just game but want it to last for 4k 120hz gaming until I upgrade my 2070 super. I usually upgrade every 4 years.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I'm seeing that you'll need thermal paste for some parts and whatnot. Never heard about that until then. So clearly I'm missing some important stuff.

The OP doesn't have an actual guide on exact how one builds a computer and what you actually need besides parts to do that well. Is there a guide/video out there that covers the actual assembly pretty well?

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 25, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Munkaboo posted:

Price drop on the i9 9900k on amazon... Seems like a great option if I can't wait for my 5800x to come. I primarily just game but want it to last for 4k 120hz gaming until I upgrade my 2070 super. I usually upgrade every 4 years.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/512483/intel-core-i9-9900k-coffee-lake-36ghz-eight-core-lga-1151-boxed-processor

(Thats how good AMDs poo poo is)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I'm seeing that you'll need thermal paste for some parts and whatnot.

The OP doesn't have an actual guide on exact how one builds a computer and what you actually need besides parts to do that well. Is there a guide/video out there that covers the actual assembly pretty well?

I actually used this Linus stream to help build mine, which had pretty similar parts (though it'd be nowhere near $500 if you specced it out today):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dEfc9LL9bQ

It's also helpful if you look up videos of people building in the exact case you have. You only need to apply thermal paste to the CPU, and only if you're using a non-stock cooler that doesn't come with an included thermal pad/paste already adhered (AMD's Wraith coolers do for the most part).

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

change my name posted:

I actually used this Linus stream to help build mine, which had pretty similar parts (though it'd be nowhere near $500 if you specced it out today):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dEfc9LL9bQ

It's also helpful if you look up videos of people building in the exact case you have. You only need to apply thermal paste to the CPU, and only if you're using a non-stock cooler that doesn't come with an included thermal pad/paste already adhered (AMD's Wraith coolers do for the most part).

Okay, so unless I'm setting up my own cooling system all the parts will come with everything but like screwdrivers?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Okay, so unless I'm setting up my own cooling system all the parts will come with everything but like screwdrivers?

I built my last PC with a single Philips screwdriver and nothing else. Everything else I used came with the parts I bought.

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

Lonely Bridge posted:

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Primarily Gaming
What's your budget? Trying to stick to sub-$1,000
How fancy do you want your graphics? I don't play cutting edge games at max, but would like to be able to play some shooters/WoW/etc and it run smoothly

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($222.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard ($148.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB DUAL EVO OC Video Card ($303.94 @ Office Depot)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1033.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-25 15:10 EST-0500

Price should be about $60 less than above if the 1660 super comes back in stock on newegg. I've changed quite a bit on this list and I'm wondering if this looks workable or if I'm overdoing it in the wrong places. Should I just look at getting a better GPU if I want some smooth gameplay?

The PCPartPicker does give me a warning that the MOBO has an additional 4-pin ATX connector that this PSU does not have - is that an issue, should I be looking at changing one of those parts?

Still trying to learn as much as I can on the airflow, the meshify case comes with 2 and I'm guessing that should be alright to start with - or should I go ahead and grab 1-2 more for front/top?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

sean10mm posted:

I built my last PC with a single Philips screwdriver and nothing else. Everything else I used came with the parts I bought.

Rad, thanks!

Made a few more tweeks, just got a very cool case so I don't have to ever deal with fan stuff.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qpmckX

Okay so this is it right here. One thing that makes me nervous is that I cannot check RAM compatibility with because MSIs website requires I specify if the RAM is "Matisse, Renoir, or Vermeer" or something like that. I have no idea how to tell which my RAM is.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Lonely Bridge posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($222.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard ($148.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB DUAL EVO OC Video Card ($303.94 @ Office Depot)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1033.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-25 15:10 EST-0500

Price should be about $60 less than above if the 1660 super comes back in stock on newegg. I've changed quite a bit on this list and I'm wondering if this looks workable or if I'm overdoing it in the wrong places. Should I just look at getting a better GPU if I want some smooth gameplay?

The PCPartPicker does give me a warning that the MOBO has an additional 4-pin ATX connector that this PSU does not have - is that an issue, should I be looking at changing one of those parts?

Still trying to learn as much as I can on the airflow, the meshify case comes with 2 and I'm guessing that should be alright to start with - or should I go ahead and grab 1-2 more for front/top?

I wouldn't get that board, for that model Asus stuck the xtreme overclocking chipset on a very barebones board, and you're using it for a 3600 that's not worth overclocking anyway. Any of the $130 B550 boards probably makes more sense like the B550M Aorus Pro.

For fans that case works really well with 3x120mm or 2x140mm front and 1x120mm rear.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Rad, thanks!

Made a few more tweeks, just got a very cool case so I don't have to ever deal with fan stuff.

Okay so this is it right here. One thing that makes me nervous is that I cannot check RAM compatibility with because MSIs website requires I specify if the RAM is "Matisse, Renoir, or Vermeer" or something like that. I have no idea how to tell which my RAM is.

Those are CPU codenames. The 3600 is Matisse and Zen 3 is Vermeer.

The odds any decent g.skill or crucial ram gives you problems is basically zero near as I can tell though.

e: Keep in mind the QVL for RAM is just the kits that they bothered to test, not the only kits that will work.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

sean10mm posted:

Those are CPU codenames. The 3600 is Matisse and Zen 3 is Vermeer.

The odds any decent g.skill or crucial ram gives you problems is basically zero near as I can tell though.

e: Keep in mind the QVL for RAM is just the kits that they bothered to test, not the only kits that will work.

Ohhh okay.

Alright well here is the final build I went with, parts are on the way to my place and I'm pumped!

Figure basically all these items give me a ton of room for future re-use or to use this as a small home server for at least decade or two.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That NZXT H510 Elite is not a cool running case and actually has the front covered by solid glass. Gamers Nexus hates it.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mu Zeta posted:

That NZXT H510 Elite is not a cool running case and actually has the front covered by solid glass. Gamers Nexus hates it.

Well poo poo let me know quick if I should replace it with a different case. I need a case that is ideal for ATX, easy to build and use and cool. I don't care much about appearance unless its horrific and price isn't too big of a deal within reason.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

sean10mm posted:

In actual testing the difference between the Noctua NF-A14 and the cheaper NF-P14S is within the margin of error and tends to the cheaper fan's favor in some areas.

NF-A14 1500 PWM: 1,311 RPM @12v, 75.6 CFM, 21.5 db
NF-P14S Redux 1500 PWM: 1,306 RPM @ 11v, 83.2 CFM, 21.5db

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U8-OjGwk8o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fqZSPCRZ2s

I've been working to back down the fan curves for my front P14S redux fans. Anything over 750 rpm seems to get a high pitched whine that is kind of annoying.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Well poo poo let me know quick if I should replace it with a different case. I need a case that is ideal for ATX, easy to build and use and cool. I don't care much about appearance unless its horrific and price isn't too big of a deal within reason.

The Meshify C (with two additional Noctua 140mm fans) is the thread favorite here. You can get the Pure Base 500DX if you want more updated features like front USB-C ports and it does come with enough fans already. The 500DX is the better value. If you want a similar look to your original case the NZHT H510 non-elite is a great $80 case and is very popular.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Nohearum posted:

I've been working to back down the fan curves for my front P14S redux fans. Anything over 750 rpm seems to get a high pitched whine that is kind of annoying.

That's kind of weird, even when mine were turned up full blast they just sort of make more of a low pitched whooshing sound.

Mu Zeta posted:

The Meshify C (with two additional Noctua 140mm fans) is the thread favorite here. You can get the Pure Base 500DX if you want more updated features like front USB-C ports and it does come with enough fans already. The 500DX is the better value.

The Meshify C/S2/2 are the airflow cases to get if you hate windows and RGB bling and fun. :bahgawd:

There are several good mesh front cases that come with a bunch of RGB fans that are equal or better out of the box though.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mu Zeta posted:

The Meshify C (with two additional Noctua 140mm fans) is the thread favorite here. You can get the Pure Base 500DX if you want more updated features like front USB-C ports and it does come with enough fans already. The 500DX is the better value. If you want a similar look to your original case the NZHT H510 non-elite is a great $80 case and is very popular.

Alright, was able to cancel my order, bought the meshify c and some fans for about ~20 bucks less.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jTXQy4

Okay, so here's my final final PC.

Do I need to do anything else for the fans I ordered or will they integrate with the case/power supply or whatever?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jTXQy4

Okay, so here's my final final PC.

Do I need to do anything else for the fans I ordered or will they integrate with the case/power supply or whatever?

They just plug into any of the 4 pin fan headers on the board, which it will have a bunch of.

Don't be surprised if the default fan profile on the board is loud as balls with 1500 RPM fans, but you can set the fan speeds to anything you want in the BIOS.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

sean10mm posted:

They just plug into any of the 4 pin fan headers on the board, which it will have a bunch of.

Don't be surprised if the default fan profile on the board is loud as balls with 1500 RPM fans, but you can set the fan speeds to anything you want in the BIOS.

Awesome, that stuff I'm at least passingly familiar with. This will be my first adventure in hardware outside of Raspberry Pis.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

To be honest almost every time I haven't known where to plug something in if you just sort of guess it's almost always right. Like even if the "HD audio header" isnt labeled it's actually a slightly different pinout than the USB2 header and wont fit down properly etc

Probably one thing you could accidentally do is plug the CPU fan into a case fan header, my B450 board had them adjacent and just slightly color coded. My B550 has them separated & provides more fan headers. I'm 99% sure it would still work and just not report right.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
What country are you in?
US

What are you using the system for?
Gaming & scientific computing

What's your budget?
$2-2.5k

If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use?
R/Python for data science

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate?
144 Hz 1440p

Could someone help me parse the new releases for CPUs and GPUs? I’m thinking about going with a system builder since it seems like graphics cards are sold out everywhere and they actually have them on hand already, but I can’t figure out which CPUs are equivalent to one another/the best right now. 5xxx AMD CPUs don’t seems available yet, so what would a good alternative be?

It seems like for GPUs the 3080 would be a sort of the upgrade pick?

Basically I’d just like to be able to play new games on reasonably high settings at a decent frame rate at 1440p. I can’t really play new releases successfully anymore with a 970 unfortunately, even when I go to 1080p low settings my frame rate still can’t even get to 60.

(I was previously looking for a smaller pc, but with the new GPUs I don’t really care what size- I assume whatever the most common case size is will be easiest to fit stuff into)

Thank you in advance! I’m feeling super lost.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Zen 3 is out, but only since the start of the month and demand is stupidly high for everything right now. You're right in wanting a 3080, but you'll just have to play the same stock watching/waiting game as everyone else, or go for a prebuilt like you said if you can't or won't wait. A 3080 will give you max settings in 1440p at 144hz in most every game right now.

As far as I can tell your work doesn't scale with cores so you want the 5600x of the new AMD CPUs, but so does every other fucker on the planet atm (including me). It has the best single core performance of any chip right now and is also the cheapest of the newest lineup, hence the demand.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Managed to snag a 5800X so it's time to start pulling the rest of the new PC together. The 3080 is what I want to get eventually but for now I'll just move my 1060 over into it while I wait.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: HP EX950 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB XC3 BLACK GAMING Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($156.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $831.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-25 20:21 EST-0500

Items I'm most interested in feedback on:

Motherboard should be fine, right? The SPDIF port is mandatory because I use the one on my current PC.
EDIT: oh crap, I forgot, I need to find one with USB flashback. crap.
Memory seems like good specs and price. The QVL for 16GB sticks seems fairly short so I decided to gamble on something not on thelist.
Power supply: I want a high-quality supply with single-plug PCI-E cables. Seasonic is still well-regarded, right?

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 26, 2020

BeastRAGE
Nov 4, 2012
Reminder of my build

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($539.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Adorama)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate IronWolf NAS 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($197.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB GAMING AMP Holo Video Card
Case: Corsair Crystal 570X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($156.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1764.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-25 20:39 EST-0500

How would I mount the fans goin all around the case? Especially for the aio sitting in front of the case?

Manul says install fans with the backplate facing the case and the corsair logo screwed into the radiator?

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
I'm looking for one final sanity check on a PC I'm going to help my dad build next month.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Primary purpose is scientific computing of video data. He might do a little big of gaming as well.
What's your budget? It's basically infinity. If one were available from a retailer, we'd drop a 3090 in it but the current plan is to get something serviceable and replace it later.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? http://www.mousemotorlab.org/deeplabcut is the main software my dad wants to powerhouse.
What’s your typical project size and complexity? It seems like the videos he's analyzing aren't actually that big (40-80 frames of 900x750 resolution) but the people he works with are recommending the higher end graphics card for his workloads. If there are more specific questions, I can ask.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 3840 x 1600 at 60 Hz https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-ultrasharp-38-curved-monitor-u3818dw/apd/210-amrc
How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I think my dad will enjoy games more if they are pretty - he likes racing games a lot - but I don't think this is the driver for the build.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($499.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste ($6.40 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ULTRA ATX AM4 Motherboard ($294.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($244.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Purple 12 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($281.45 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card ($299.00 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H710 ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair HXi 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($139.88 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $2485.58

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

BeastRAGE posted:

Reminder of my build

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($539.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Adorama)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate IronWolf NAS 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($197.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB GAMING AMP Holo Video Card
Case: Corsair Crystal 570X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($156.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1764.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-25 20:39 EST-0500

How would I mount the fans goin all around the case? Especially for the aio sitting in front of the case?

Manul says install fans with the backplate facing the case and the corsair logo screwed into the radiator?

Find a youtube of someone building in one with a 360 rad.

The 3 included case fans can be exhaust. 2 out top and 1 out back.

3in 3out total

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Haha, I ordered a 3070 from Best Buy on the 20th, ship to store, to be delivered today...and it didn't make it. A generic "sorry, you're delayed!" and they'll automatically cancel the order on December 2.

So I'm assuming they oversold and I'll be back on the hunt in December.

BeastRAGE
Nov 4, 2012

spunkshui posted:

Find a youtube of someone building in one with a 360 rad.

The 3 included case fans can be exhaust. 2 out top and 1 out back.

3in 3out total

Had just saw a nice vid that explains it. I didnt even notice the arrows on the fan lol.

3 front fans by aio are taking fresh air and blowing them inward. Rest of the fans are exhaust fans so the arrows should be facing outwards.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think I'm going to do an indulgent upgrade, and get a 3070: are there any brands or models that are better or worse?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

sebmojo posted:

I think I'm going to do an indulgent upgrade, and get a 3070: are there any brands or models that are better or worse?
The Zotac Twin Edge is apparently the loudest one, but other than that, no.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Not sure if it's been posted but I saw it on slickdeals earlier...

newegg has the MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk listed at $149.99. Shame I just bought it for $179.99 on amazon. You can also get a $10 rebate from MSI if you purchase between 11/25/2020 and 12/05/2020. Purchase between now and Nov 30th and you can also register the motherboard on MSI for a $20 steam card, bringing it down to $120. Pretty good price for the board.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Not sure where to ask this but it didn't get much interest in the headphones thread. Is there a recommended PC mic for open mic gaming?

I have Sennheiser HD599s which have the 2.5mm jack so I can't use my old VModa boommic and the last 2.5mm headset mic I bought broke.

I've heard some things about the Mod Mic https://smile.amazon.com/Antlion-Au...n/dp/B07YN25KWN There's a USB one that's $15 more. This would go in the front of my case.

Keeping it off the desk would be nice and wouldn't something like a Blue Yeti pick up my keyboard? I have Cherry Reds so not too loud, but still.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

Cyks posted:

Not sure if it's been posted but I saw it on slickdeals earlier...

newegg has the MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk listed at $149.99. Shame I just bought it for $179.99 on amazon. You can also get a $10 rebate from MSI if you purchase between 11/25/2020 and 12/05/2020. Purchase between now and Nov 30th and you can also register the motherboard on MSI for a $20 steam card, bringing it down to $120. Pretty good price for the board.

Do you know if the $20 steam card offer applies to other MSI B550 motherboards? I can't find any info about this offer online, but I'm probably not looking in the right place.

The MPG Gaming Edge WIFI is also on Black Friday sale for $149.99 at Newegg, and looks perfect for my needs. It seems very comparable to the Tomahawk, except it has WIFI (but no $10 rebate).

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Alright, I've decided I'm going to upgrade my CPU. Because the old one was an LGA1151, I also need to replace the motherboard. I'm in Australia.
PC Part Picker Page

So the only things I'm actually buying are a CPU, a motherboard, and a CPU cooler. For the CPU I'm going for a Ryzen 5 5600X (from this local place that seemingly has them in stock). Not really sure where to go with the mobo and fan; Part Picker has a list of options but I might as well use a dartboard. I'm not sure how Umart looks when viewed from overseas, but at my end the cost of the 5600 is $469AUD (about $350 USD). Anyway: what would you suggest?

edit: previous CPU was an Intel i5-6600

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 26, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The MSI B550M Pro VDH Wifi is a good starter choice. It can handle pretty much any processor. It also has the USB flashback capability so you can update the BIOS without a cpu, which you'll probably need to do to run the 5600x.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Seeing a lot of builds here again but the link to mike’s post still says not to buy. Are there any good bang for your buck builds posted somewhere?

Haven’t bought a new pc since 2013 and after having to play Resident Evil 2 remake in the lowest setting and constant crashes, it might be time for a new machine.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kazzah posted:

Alright, I've decided I'm going to upgrade my CPU. Because the old one was an LGA1151, I also need to replace the motherboard. I'm in Australia.
PC Part Picker Page

So the only things I'm actually buying are a CPU, a motherboard, and a CPU cooler. For the CPU I'm going for a Ryzen 5 5600X (from this local place that seemingly has them in stock). Not really sure where to go with the mobo and fan; Part Picker has a list of options but I might as well use a dartboard. I'm not sure how Umart looks when viewed from overseas, but at my end the cost of the 5600 is $469AUD (about $350 USD). Anyway: what would you suggest?

edit: previous CPU was an Intel i5-6600

You will need new memory too, ddr4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Mu Zeta posted:

The MSI B550M Pro VDH Wifi is a good starter choice. It can handle pretty much any processor. It also has the USB flashback capability so you can update the BIOS without a cpu, which you'll probably need to do to run the 5600x.

Isn't that Micro-ATX? Am I looking at the right one?

sebmojo posted:

You will need new memory too, ddr4.

...is the current memory not DDR4?

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 26, 2020