Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Am I imagining things, or did SALR Redux used to have a button that enabled live threading for chat threads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I think I've heard about some other third-party extension attempting something like that, but it wasn't SALR or SALR Redux.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

astral posted:

I think I've heard about some other third-party extension attempting something like that, but it wasn't SALR or SALR Redux.
Turns out, I wasn't imagining it completely:

astral posted:

Hirez posted:

Is there any way to make a "live thread" reload button at the bottom to reload page then go to the last unread post?

Ie. for GDT threads in Sports forums, its kinda annoying going back forum then latest post. or just hitting F5 and trying to find out wtf you left off on... (especially when there's there like 5 pages in 1 second in some major play). I remember I had it before, I think I it was in the opera version :corsair:
If you enable the page navigator (SALR options -> Threads), the rightmost button acts the same as the 'jump to last read post' button from forums/bookmarks:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Turns out, I wasn't imagining it completely:

If you enable the page navigator (SALR options -> Threads), the rightmost button acts the same as the 'jump to last read post' button from forums/bookmarks:

Note that this depends on the "Last post button reloads the current thread to check for new posts instead of scrolling to an unread post" setting, which is enabled by default on Firefox and (I believe) newer installs on Chrome-based browsers but not on older Chrome installs. If it just scrolls the page, you'll need to switch it.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a reason why the YouTube embeds don't allow me to full-screen videos from the forums? Is there any way to enable this?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Baggot posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a reason why the YouTube embeds don't allow me to full-screen videos from the forums? Is there any way to enable this?

I can't reproduce this with SALR's youtube embeds or the forum-native youtube embeds. I see a fullscreen button on both, which is the expected behavior since they both set the required allowfullscreen attribute.

Please indicate browser/OS versions, any specific videos that are giving trouble, and whether it's SALR's youtube embeds (click the link to create the player) or the forum's (the player exists from the beginning).

edit: It's possible some other extension or user script is interfering with this, so it might be worth checking into those, especially if you have any youtube-specific addons/scripts.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

It's the SALR YouTube embeds, clicking the link to create the player. This happens to me in Chrome browser, in both Windows 10 and Mac OS X (latest versions of each). As far as I can tell, it's all videos across the forums, as I haven't noticed any that I am able to full-screen.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Baggot posted:

It's the SALR YouTube embeds, clicking the link to create the player. This happens to me in Chrome browser, in both Windows 10 and Mac OS X (latest versions of each). As far as I can tell, it's all videos across the forums, as I haven't noticed any that I am able to full-screen.

I see what's going on - it looks like it fails to work properly under chromium based browsers since SALR Redux uses // instead of https:// for the youtube embed URL. Thanks for reporting it.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Baggot posted:

Certain extensions can cause this effect. I know for example that using Volume Master on a web page then stops video on that web web page from being able to go full screen. Just fills the window. Guessing it's a limitation of some extension functionality.

Didn't see it got resolved a minute before I posted this

101 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 4, 2020

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

astral posted:

I see what's going on - it looks like it fails to work properly under chromium based browsers since SALR Redux uses // instead of [url]https://[/url] for the youtube embed URL. Thanks for reporting it.

I was helpful! Thank you for everything! :)

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Am I imagining things, or did SALR Redux used to have a button that enabled live threading for chat threads?

i think you're thinking of SA Needful

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

oldskool posted:

i think you're thinking of SA Needful
I'm not, because I've never used a Chromium-based browser, and I've definitely had something that could live-stream threads because I used it for GDQ chat threads. :comfyoot:

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Viewing threads as a live chat was something I had prototyped out for the original original SALR; but never went live with because radium was crying so hard about everything.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

biznatchio posted:

Viewing threads as a live chat was something I had prototyped out for the original original SALR; but never went live with because radium was crying so hard about everything.
If you still have the code, and astral is okay with it, could you do a PR thing for it or just pass it on?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Nah, that code's like 15 years old by this point (heck maybe 16 years since SALR 1.0 was released mid-2004), and was written against the forums HTML at that time (which believe it or not actually has changed since then), was for Firefox's crusty old XPCOM-based extension model, and had a probably unnecessarily complex design because it built an ad-hoc p2p network to share new posts between people with a thread open as chat to try to avoid requiring every user hammer the forums with refreshes. It'd be easier just to redo it from scratch.

But it is a good idea and something that belongs in SALR.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

biznatchio posted:

Nah, that code's like 15 years old by this point (heck maybe 16 years since SALR 1.0 was released mid-2004), and was written against the forums HTML at that time (which believe it or not actually has changed since then), was for Firefox's crusty old XPCOM-based extension model, and had a probably unnecessarily complex design because it built an ad-hoc p2p network to share new posts between people with a thread open as chat to try to avoid requiring every user hammer the forums with refreshes. It'd be easier just to redo it from scratch.

But it is a good idea and something that belongs in SALR.

Probably better if the forums exposed the function via a web socket (or implemented it outright). I can see this functionality snowballing into complexity even in the non-XPCOM world

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Yeah 100% agree that it'd be best for everyone if the forums handled it. Anything else comes with a lot of complexity.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
wow i was just viewing last-posts threads I had here in SHSC since I haven't been here so long and you was wondering why some posts were highlighted like they were replies to me... from 2016

I have the livestream button (in Vivaldi/Chrome, dunno about firefox but it worked in Opera back in the day); looks like below; the only problem is it won't parse tweets (just the link), and I think possibly pictures (I forget as I haven't used it much recently since no sports!)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/sa-needful/bipfbhacdgoojjfblifgjadhabepbekm seems to be the one that does it

quote:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3721921

• Livestream mode - hitting this button turns the thread into infinite scroll mode and it will automatically add new posts every 7 seconds.

and whoa you can paste images from your clipboard right into the reply box and it'll upload it to imgur and paste the link; didn't know that (have to right click - paste though, not control-v) - also sadly doesn't seem like the favorite smilies thing works; though it does have the filter (though that may be an SA thing)

e: used it today during a GDT - images dont load anything, but tweets will show the url; so they dont really work in c-spam threads but work fine in sports threads where they usually dont post pictures/tweets as much

Hirez fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 8, 2020

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Hirez posted:

wow i was just viewing last-posts threads I had here in SHSC since I haven't been here so long and you was wondering why some posts were highlighted like they were replies to me... from 2016

I have the livestream button (in Vivaldi/Chrome, dunno about firefox but it worked in Opera back in the day); looks like below; the only problem is it won't parse tweets (just the link), and I think possibly pictures (I forget as I haven't used it much recently since no sports!)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/sa-needful/bipfbhacdgoojjfblifgjadhabepbekm seems to be the one that does it

and whoa you can paste images from your clipboard right into the reply box and it'll upload it to imgur and paste the link; didn't know that (have to right click - paste though, not control-v) - also sadly doesn't seem like the favorite smilies thing works; though it does have the filter (though that may be an SA thing)

e: used it today during a GDT - images dont load anything, but tweets will show the url; so they dont really work in c-spam threads but work fine in sports threads where they usually dont post pictures/tweets as much

Probably why that extension is janky

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
that's like 0day compared to the forums :v:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Through process of elimination (disabling one extension at a time) I've determined that SALR is causing my SA tabs to hang/crash. I'd say about 80% of the time I load a thread, FirefoxCP Web Content will balloon to 1 - 2 GB of memory and the mouse cursor will pinwheel. This lasts until the tab crashes or I force quit FirefoxCP Web Content or Firefox.

Mac OS Catalina (10.15.7), Firefox 83, SALR 2.2.4. This started happening after I upgraded to Catalina on Sunday.

MOZ_CRASH Reason (Sanitized) MOZ_CRASH(OOM)
Crash Reason EXC_BAD_ACCESS / KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS

What info do you need from me to troubleshoot? FWIW I'd say I have a lot of data in userNotesLocal (it's about 133,000 characters) and all my settings and notes are stored locally.

E: I closed all my SAwf tabs, exported my SALR settings JSON, removed all the userNotesLocal from the export, imported the noteless settings, and relaunched Firefox. Opened a fresh SAwf tab, and it crashes.

E2: I uninstalled SALR, relaunched Firefox, and browsed the forums a bit. No hangs. Then I installed SALR from the mozilla store, clicked back over to my only other tab - an open thread - and Firefox hung. Even using default out-of-the-box settings (pasted below) and before I refreshed the tab.

quote:

code:
{"highlightOP":"false","quickReplyBookmark":"false","ignoreBookmarkStarCyan":"false","quickReplyParseUrls":"true","highlightThread":"false","enableUserNotesSync":"true","ignoreForumStarGreen":"false","dontReplaceLinkImage":"false","dontReplaceVineSpoiler":"false","showLastThreePagesThread":"true","topPurchaseEmoticon":"true","ignoreBookmarkStarRed":"false","bottomNavBar":"true","replaceImagesLink":"false","highlightModAdminUsername":"false","enableThreadNotes":"false","topLogout":"true","enableMouseGestures":"false","imageLinkHoverShowURL":"true","enableUserNotes":"true","topPurchaseAva":"true","usernameCase":"false","quickReplyFormat":"true","topSAForums":"true","hideUserAvatar":"false","darkRead":"#bbccdd","highlightOwnUsername":"false","showLastThreePagesForum":"true","dontReplaceLinkSpoiler":"false","MouseActiveContext":"false","imageLinkHoverNWS":"true","retinaImages":"false","fixUserCPFont":"false","topSALink":"true","highlightSelf":"false","topPurchaseUsername":"true","boxQuotes":"false","displayConfigureSalr":"true","expandBreadcrumbs":"false","topUserCP":"true","topPurchasePlat":"true","setImageTooltipHideExtension":"true","topPrivMsgs":"true","displayPageNavigator":"true","qneProtection":"false","showNavigation":"true","highlightModAdmin":"false","dontReplaceLinkRead":"false","inlineVideo":"false","enableQuickReply":"true","hidePostButtonInThread":"false","displayNewPostsFirst":"false","fixImgurLinks":"true","setImageTooltipHideSourceUrl":"true","searchThreadHide":"false","collapseTldrQuotes":"false","topPurchaseSticky":"true","lightRead":"#ddeeff","hideUserAvatarImage":"false","highlightFriends":"false","openAllUnreadLink":"true","usernameHighlight":"#9933ff","adjustAfterLoad":"true","ignoreForumStarNone":"false","ignoreBookmarkStarYellow":"false","hideGarbageDick":"false","inlineVine":"false","topLepersColony":"true","displayNewPostsFirstForum":"true","highlightAdminColor":"#ff7256","topForumRules":"true","displayCustomButtons":"true","topNavBar":"true","ignoreForumStarGold":"false","highlightFriendsColor":"#f2babb","dontReplaceVineNWS":"false","salrInitialized":"true","ignoreBookmarkStarGreen":"false","highlightOPColor":"#fff2aa","ignoreForumStarYellow":"false","displayNewPostsFirstUCP":"true","topSupport":"true","enableMouseMenu":"false","highlightModeratorColor":"#b4eeb4","darkNewReplies":"#cfdfcf","enableSAARSLink":"true","quickReplyDisableSmilies":"false","preventAdjust":"false","restrictImagePxH":"800","replaceImagesReadOnly":"false","whoPostedHide":"false","topPurchaseArchives":"true","enableToggleUserAvatars":"true","showPurchases":"true","removeOwnReport":"true","topGloryhole":"true","setImageTooltipSkipEmoticons":"true","topSearch":"true","username":"","restrictImageSize":"false","dontReplaceLinkNWS":"false","ignoreForumStarCyan":"false","enableMouseUpUCP":"false","ignoreBookmarkStarGold":"false","highlightSelfColor":"#f2babb","inlinePostCounts":"false","topPurchaseBannerAd":"true","salrLogoHide":"false","showLastThreePagesUCP":"true","highlightOwnQuotes":"false","imageLinkHover":"false","imageLinkHoverSpoiler":"true","ignoreForumStarLavender":"false","showLastThreePages":"false","topPurchaseAcc":"true","showEditBookmarks":"false","fixCancer":"true","ignoreForumStarRed":"false","ignoreBookmarkStarLavender":"false","hideUserGrenade":"false","replaceImagesWithLinks":"false","quickReplyYoutube":"true","setImageTooltip":"false","openAllForumUnreadLink":"true","displayMods":"false","enableKeyboardShortcuts":"false","replaceLinksWithImages":"false","quickReplyEmotes":"true","topPurchaseNoAds":"true","quickReplyLivePreview":"false","youtubeHighlight":"#ffcccc","imageLinkHoverShowFilename":"false","threadCaching":"false","loadNewWithLastPost":"true","topSaclopedia":"true","userQuote":"#a2cd5a","hideAdvertisements":"false","topPurchaseGiftCert":"true","quickReplySignature":"false","setImageTooltipBlankOnly":"true","lightNewReplies":"#e1f1e1","postsPerPage":"default","imageLinkHoverDelay":"0","restrictImagePxW":"800","enableSinglePost":"true"}

he;lp, my life won't be worth living without SALR

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 19, 2020

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
hi SALR friends

so I'm working on resurrecting the old SA CSS, the pre-2013 one. This used to be accomplished by using the SomethingAwful Fixes extension but a lot has changed from when that addon was last updated to now and while it does successfully block the modern CSS, a bunch of other things are broken as you might expect. Mostly I'm doing things by trial and error by blocking the modern CSS and using Chrome dev tools to wrangle various bits of the forum that don't load properly or look right.

I was planning on making my own thread because I'd like to solicit some help from goons, one to have people block the modern CSS and provide bug reports, and two to help me rewrite some code and then package it into an extension that will automatically replace the forums CSS without loading the modern page and then having it flash back to the old style on every load. In terms of the CSS, I can "hack it til I crack it" more or less, but I am not a web developer and have only really managed a handful of Neocities websites.

gaze upon web 1.0, and despair:

(you can achieve this by adding "https://www.somethingawful.com/css/forums.css?1545838184" to your adblock filter)

my question is - is this something that there would be interest in adding as an optional feature to SALR (at some point)? or should I forge ahead on setting up and developing my own thing? SALR is pretty ubiquitous when it comes to SA extensions so I figured I'd ask before I started doing anything. it would be nice to harness the expertise of people who have already gotten knee deep in VB2, but I want to be able to try to bring something useful to the table rather than just glomb on to everyone's existing work

right now I'm focused on postbody stuff that breaks tables like avs/gangtags in userinfo, BBcode blocks like {code}, thread ratings, etc, but I plan to cycle through other pages that need a little work like the "post reply" page, leper's colony and user profiles

barnold fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 25, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

IMO, it should be its own thing.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

astral posted:

IMO, it should be its own thing.

The more I thought about it, the more that I agree despite asking in the first place. It makes a lot more sense to release something and say "hey this is compatible with a lot of SALR features probably but not guaranteed for every toggle" than to try and keep up with two CSS sheets natively

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Is there an option to enable quoting posts in the goldmine/gaschamber?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
(for anyone else who was going to come here to give a shout in this thread about it, the big blue bars are not SALR's fault)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

flatluigi posted:

(for anyone else who was going to come here to give a shout in this thread about it, the big blue bars are not SALR's fault)

lol thank you

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

he;lp, my life won't be worth living without SALR

I fully uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox and that seems to have fixed it? Weird problem.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Would it be possible to have bbcode for user notes? Being able to link to a post along with a short description would be kind of handy. Or rick roll yourself in the future too I guess.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
You can use HTML for them.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You can use HTML for them.

lmao, didn't even think of that. Thanks.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm keeping that usernote, btw.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Technically everyone has pooped their pants so you can stick it on me too.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm OK with this revisionist history where I only pooped my pants once.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

I fully uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox and that seems to have fixed it? Weird problem.

Nope! It's doing it again. Please let me know what info you need from me to diagnose this memory-gobbling problem.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nope! It's doing it again. Please let me know what info you need from me to diagnose this memory-gobbling problem.

Maybe someone at Mozilla could help you with it using the crash ID, but...

Does it also happen with a clean Firefox profile? Uninstalling/reinstalling Firefox normally keeps your existing profile; sometimes Firefox profiles can just get really messed-up over time.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

I tried with a fresh profile with only SALR installed and as soon as i enable the extension and load a forum page, memory use skyrockets and firefox hangs until the tab crashes. Without the extension enabled this doesn't happen when i load forum pages (proven by the fact I can load the page in order to post this reply).

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 8, 2021

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Minor, minor thing, but I noticed if you use the browser to go back to a previous page, quick reply doesn't work. A refresh fixes it though.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Is there an option, or can there be an option to reveal all spoiler tags on a page? Its kinda annoying to be reading through a TVIV thread where I've watched the latest episode but everyone is being very good about spoiler tags and there's like 3 every single post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

pik_d posted:

Is there an option, or can there be an option to reveal all spoiler tags on a page? Its kinda annoying to be reading through a TVIV thread where I've watched the latest episode but everyone is being very good about spoiler tags and there's like 3 every single post.

If you have Stylus installed, you can use this to make them visible:

quote:

.bbc-spoiler {
background-color: #ffd700 !important;
color: #000 !important;
border-radius: 0px !important;
border-color: #000000 !important;
padding:1px;
outline: 2px solid #000;
box-shadow: none !important;
}
.bbc-spoiler img {
visibility: visible !important;
}

Which gives:

So, just choose whatever colour for the background and text suits you. However, with the last update to the forums, spoilers are no longer revealed when in quotes. Nope, looks like spoilers in quotes work again.

EDIT: Included an outline around the spoiler. Helps it stand out a little.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 18, 2021