Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

After finishing Nimpize Adventure last year, I had a desire to do more Ocarina of Time romhacks. I wanted to see what would happen if someone wasn't limited by the original game's maps and dungeons, and made more unique content like the overworlds and mini-dungeons in Nimpize. The only problem was...there weren't really any other Ocarina of Time romhacks. At least, not good ones, or ones long enough to be worth devoting an LP to. So I kept the idea in the back of my head and moved on for a while.

Fast forward to Summer 2020, and a person named doncamillo released a brand new Ocarina of Time hack, promising a completely new world, a continuation of the plot started with Ocarina and Majora's Mask, at least 20 hours of playtime, and more. Naturally, I completely missed out on its release but eventually I heard about the hack. I took a quick look at the trailer, a few screenshots, updated my Project 64 installation, grabbed a few of my friends, and set out to explore another Ocarina of Time romhack. Welcome, everyone, to The Legend of Zelda: Master of Time.

----------

This is a Blind LP! If you have played or watched the game before please do not spoil or allude to future events in any way! None of us are familiar with the game beyond a basic level, so in keeping with the spirit of discovery, don't tell us anything about the hack.

We're recording these videos while also streaming them on my Twitch channel, much like we did Nimpize Adventure. This means that occasionally we'll reference or talk to the people watching in chat, but a chat window will not be visible. I'll also be letting the thread know when we stream new episode recording sessions, so that anyone interested in catching the streams can watch.

Joining me on this adventure will be Artix, ChaosArgate and PoorlyWritten in permanent co-commentator positions, and some other friends of mine at random. They will be sure to help guide me through this game filled with verticality, 3D platforming, milk conspiracies, opaque water, and lots of theft (of our own doing we are the thief).

FPzero fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

*Probably spoilers for the LP*

Procrastine shows us how the sausage is made.

Why is Procrastine so thirsty?

Leal reveals the skeleton's curse...

FPzero fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 27, 2020

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm so loving ready for more romhack nonsense.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

don't mind Link's hair, he's just going through a phase.
I'm pretty sure the glass on those museum displays is supposed to actually be transparent? that might be another emulator plug-in issue.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

All I know is that 'Sagnol' is long-rear end in reverse.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm so loving ready for more romhack nonsense.

Hell yeah, same.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am excited to see where the madness will go this time.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
his mighty shield
a vast unblazoned sable field
with shadow like a thundercloud;

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Having seen this hack before I can confirm it goes places.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
Oh gently caress this is happening.

I loved the Nimpize LP and I loved how much of a trainwreck Nimpize was even though I was late to the party, I can't wait for more Goku on Rye Bread :allears:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I don't know if anything will ever truly measure up to Nimpize but drat if I'm not ready to find out.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Not gonna lie, I was really expecting you to go with the name Trunks given the title of the romhack. Then again, that's pretty much what the Xenoverse games are for.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

Artix posted:

I don't know if anything will ever truly measure up to Nimpize but drat if I'm not ready to find out.

The Pit will always be our home, but maybe, just maybe we'll find a home away from home.

That being said, this is already seems promising and I'm always ready for more sandwich talk.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Less than 10 minutes in, and we've already been to the pit. This is going to be an adventure!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

well, :rip: that dude's cousin. Shouldn't have left his a medicine money lying around!

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I played through this hack a few months ago, and it was a trip. I think it's actually much better than Nimpize in terms of difficulty and level design.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Hoo boy, this should be an experience.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

This new world is strange and terrifying, luckily I was soothed by the sweet memories of our home: The Pit.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I have a fun story to tell about this hack: I was a beta tester for it! Mainly I proofread ESL errors but looks like I missed some, oops :v: Early on since I didn't know the hacker and whether they were chill or FFT1.3-like I didn't push much on things. After the hack was feature-complete I meant to go back and replay it before it was released to catch things I missed the first time, but, uh, I didn't, so now you get ESL stuff early on that goes away as the hack progresses.

Augus posted:

don't mind Link's hair, he's just going through a phase.
I'm pretty sure the glass on those museum displays is supposed to actually be transparent? that might be another emulator plug-in issue.

Can confirm that the museum displays are supposed to be transparent.

Fun fact: don camilo's youtube channel has the full soundtrack on it, so you can find out what all the midis are from! Don't actually look at the video, it has spoilers, but I'll repost the songs we've heard:

Intro cutscene: Turok 2 - The Hub
Main theme: Antonin Dvorak - Humoresque No. 1
Owl theme: He's Our Comrade Kim Jong Il
Sagnol indoors: Mission Impossible 64 - Embassy Function
Sagnol village: Lyric song of Sormovo

No, I don't know why the owl is kim jong-il

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Can I get a kame hame ha?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Procrastine posted:

I have a fun story to tell about this hack: I was a beta tester for it! Mainly I proofread ESL errors but looks like I missed some, oops :v: Early on since I didn't know the hacker and whether they were chill or FFT1.3-like I didn't push much on things. After the hack was feature-complete I meant to go back and replay it before it was released to catch things I missed the first time, but, uh, I didn't, so now you get ESL stuff early on that goes away as the hack progresses.

Can confirm that the museum displays are supposed to be transparent.

Fun fact: don camilo's youtube channel has the full soundtrack on it, so you can find out what all the midis are from! Don't actually look at the video, it has spoilers, but I'll repost the songs we've heard:

Intro cutscene: Turok 2 - The Hub
Main theme: Antonin Dvorak - Humoresque No. 1
Owl theme: He's Our Comrade Kim Jong Il
Sagnol indoors: Mission Impossible 64 - Embassy Function
Sagnol village: Lyric song of Sormovo

No, I don't know why the owl is kim jong-il
There was also the world map theme from Breath of Fire 2 playing when the fairy first showed up.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Procrastine posted:

ESL? Something scripting language?

Also @FPZero it would be really nice if you could figure out why your emulator is making stuff non-transparant, fix it, and go back to the museum. I want to know what we're missing out of.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

My guess is English as a Second Language.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
lookin' forward to new Pit probations

though maybe with the new thread it's Pit gangtag time?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Someone please make a Pit gangtag that's just but gangtag size and with Mido instead of Steve Austin

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Sally posted:

lookin' forward to new Pit probations

though maybe with the new thread it's Pit gangtag time?

This time take everybody who posted in the thread home.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

My guess is English as a Second Language.

Yeah this. From Context Clues from the hack and on discord and the kinds of grammar mistakes in the beta I think their native language is French? I never actually asked though.

Geemer posted:

This time take everybody who posted in the thread home.

Country roads, take me home, to the pit, I belong,

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The game tells us not to disturb the spirits, but we disturbed the spirits...

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I sure do hope we find a spot in Master of Time to be our Pit away from Pit.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Hey want to see something hosed up?

The ladders in Sagnol used to blend in really well with the wall textures. I feel like getting the hacker to change them to be more visible is my greatest contribution to this hack, because hoo boy scouring the entire village looking for the ocarina was pretty miserable before! I remember saying "hmm not sure about this" about the switch "puzzle" but it never got changed, oh well. Pretend it's a reference to the end of the sewers in LttP with the two switches. I reported a number of "big chest animation on small chest" bugs but oops looks like I missed one. Also I don't remember Graveyard Kid being present in the beta, weird.

Our music selection for today is:

Sagnol tomb: Summoning - Long Lost to Where No Pathway Goes
Grotto theme: Arena - Song 11

Goku's List of Crimes So Far:
  • Stole Talon's medicine fund
  • Desecrated a tomb
Expect this list to expand as the game continues

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
This hack is already going places, and I'm definitely here for it.

Procrastine posted:

Yeah this. From Context Clues from the hack and on discord and the kinds of grammar mistakes in the beta I think their native language is French? I never actually asked though.
Sagnol is a Provence French surname, so I wouldn't be surprised. It's derived from the occitan word for a swampy area, but I don't know if it really fits here. (Also it's pronounced San-y'all.)
Honestly, just reading the dialogue and the way everyone addresses Link so... casually, I got some intense French vibe from it as well. Like, I tend to write my English dialogues the same way.

Miacis fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 26, 2020

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Procrastine posted:

Goku's List of Crimes So Far:
  • Stole Talon's medicine fund
  • Desecrated a tomb
Expect this list to expand as the game continues

I think you can also add
-Stole from the town emergency supplies
-Stole a priceless artifact from a museum

:allears:

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

I attempted to play this with friends, but I messed up on loading the rom the first time. I had an old save file that I loaded into somehow, so I started the game without magic.

This may surprise you, but you need magic to finish the game. Rather than restart, I just shelved it since I didn't want to replay stuff again right away.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

The maker of the hack is definitely French. There's some stuff coming up later on which I won't spoil that confirms it. It's very specific.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Started watching Nimpize Adventure because I can't understand anything you people are saying.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I encourage you to watch Nimpize because Nimpize was an incredible ride, but also I sincerely doubt watching Nimpize is going to help in this case.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Y'all wanna know something awesome?! (may not actually be awesome)

Apparently a group is making a romhack of this romhack, called Mistress of Time. It stars Malon instead of Link, and is, I quote, "even edgier".

When I have release information, I'll post more here, but for now, have the ad post that was spammed in the Paper Mario Master Quest discord server:

quote:

Coming Soon...

...Aliud ex alio malum...

...One evil rises after another...

Is Zelda Master of Time too edgy for you?

Prepare for a an even edgier adventure where Malon becomes the star of this Legend!

Totally adapted for her, The Mistress of Time is a medieval tale of dilemmas, crime, power desires and romance where the most polemic themes of the Middle Ages are put on the table!

Will the rancher and her father’s backstory with the Gerudo finally unfold? Prepare for astounding revelations about Malon’s parents and discover the name of her half-sisters in a tale which is more acid than you can imagine!

Follow Malon and the dubious Fairy Nite in Abello, a land where the time no longer passes... A country bursting with defying temples and controversial elements such as Majora’s Cult of Revelations and the Vicious Slaughterhouse!

In this mortal quest, Malon proves that lasses can also be heroes travelling in dark forests, old fortresses and even reaching the Ancient Light Temple of Sol Invictus. This brave lass is embarking in a journey to put her life on the line and her soul to the ultimate blade test which shall take every Zelda element to its maximum challenge on this new story originally released by DonCamilo for Nintendo 64, Wii, and Personal Computers!

Story and Adaptation brought to you by Sailor Lunae and Axis the Trobadour with help of Celestial Clarity, Aegiker, Perrochips/Shadow, DenOfLions, OniHelix, Luigi and many others.

The Malon game model was made by Celestial Clarity. Get to know more of his wonderful work!

Zelda is property of Nintendo. Selling this game is strictly prohibited.

MMXX. Sailor Lunae & Axis the Trobadour Stories and Adaptations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix posted:

I encourage you to watch Nimpize because Nimpize was an incredible ride, but also I sincerely doubt watching Nimpize is going to help in this case.

Here's the best reason to watchin Nimpize in only three seconds: "gently caress! God drat it!". Now picture a whole game full of moments like that.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Was Nimpize the one that had the ending reveal it was all a dream Link was having in Termina?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Here's the best reason to watchin Nimpize in only three seconds: "gently caress! God drat it!". Now picture a whole game full of moments like that.

Real sad that that last switch FP went back for didn't have a classy ol' ice trap on it.