Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I was just listening to the episode on the firm. Andrew reveals that he saw brimley on stage once and then they immediately smash cut to commercial. Legitimately the first real nail biter of a cliffhanger I've ever experience in a podcast

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
i like The Firm quote well so curious what this episode will be like. I just rewatched it a few weeks ago and I think it holds up.

Has one of my favorite Brimley quotes:

"I get paid to worry when I got nothing to be worried about"

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
The Firm is their best episode in a while IMO. Very funny, especially the Brimley impersonations. They've been doing a lot of movies I don't care about recently, but this one was very good.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FistEnergy posted:

The Firm is their best episode in a while IMO. Very funny, especially the Brimley impersonations. They've been doing a lot of movies I don't care about recently, but this one was very good.

"All hail Paymon!" Got the biggest laugh out of me in a long time

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

FistEnergy posted:

I’ll give it a listen then. This month has been rough for me, because, while I love their Brimley impressions, I’ve seen barely any of his movies (outside of The Thing and Hard Target, which they already did), so I haven’t even heard of most of these movies. I’ve heard of The Firm, obviously, but never watched it. But if you say it’s one of their best episodes in a while, I’ll give it a listen.

Should I watch The Firm first?

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

I’ll give it a listen then. This month has been rough for me, because, while I love their Brimley impressions, I’ve seen barely any of his movies (outside of The Thing and Hard Target, which they already did), so I haven’t even heard of most of these movies. I’ve heard of The Firm, obviously, but never watched it. But if you say it’s one of their best episodes in a while, I’ll give it a listen.

Should I watch The Firm first?

I would say watch it first only because the cast is stacked. It's not a bad movie, I just think it shows it's age. I watched it a few months ago and I feel like it moves slow. How do you have a movie with Tom Cruise, Ed Harris, Busey, and Brimley and have it not blow people's pants off? Although I remember when it came out everyone read the book that summer and thought the movie was amazing too.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Doobie Keebler posted:

I would say watch it first only because the cast is stacked. It's not a bad movie, I just think it shows it's age. I watched it a few months ago and I feel like it moves slow. How do you have a movie with Tom Cruise, Ed Harris, Busey, and Brimley and have it not blow people's pants off? Although I remember when it came out everyone read the book that summer and thought the movie was amazing too.

Ed Harris is in it? I’ll watch it.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Iron Crowned posted:

"All hail Paymon!" Got the biggest laugh out of me in a long time

That was fantastic, and I was also losing it at Brimley v. Jigsaw.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

FistEnergy posted:

Problem with Brimley month is that they already did all the best ones (Thing, Hard Target, Cocoon) so you're scraping the bottom of the barrel. I had high hopes for Remo Williams but it was a meh episode for me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
China Syndrome is a really good movie and I’m glad they gave it some exposure.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Watching the film before the episode has become a drunken friday night tradition for me, the gently caress else you gonna do in 2020?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Duckula posted:

Watching the film before the episode has become a drunken friday night tradition for me, the gently caress else you gonna do in 2020?

Be a recovering alcoholic?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Yeah..."Recovering". But you do you, dude.

FistEnergy posted:

Agree with all of this. A few of the more recent episodes were a little hit and miss but I still usually find them funny anyway and this one nailed it. A bad effort for WHM though is like a down episode of The Wire or something. Usually it's still good.

I find more and more that my enjoyment of any of them improves greatly if I've seen the film they're loving with and I've seen The Firm several times, including recently, so that probably added to it. This one was like a loving greatest hits of my favorite impressions too (Brimley, Busey, Holly Hunter). Funnier still because I only recently realized that Hunter and Busey are basically the same impression and hearing them cop to it cracked me up. Brimley doing Romeo and Juliette actually got me to rewind I laughed so loving hard and then I found myself trying to come up with funny ways to further miscast him.

Count Dracula came to mind but I could honestly see him making a great Van Helsing.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Nikaer Drekin posted:

That was fantastic, and I was also losing it at Brimley v. Jigsaw.

I was taking a walk and had to stop for a second when they did Brimley sawing his own leg off because I was laughing so hard.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Yeah if you can spare the time, absolutely watch the movies on the schedule. Remember when they just used to give hints about what the next movie was?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Yeah, it certainly helps for the more mainstream movies, but it's not always necessary. I'm going to try and watch all of December's list if I haven't seen it already. I already know about Fellowship and Citizen Kane (haven't seen), but no Dispatch yet.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I haven't seen most of the movies they cover, but I'll listen to the episode anyway. I will, however, be holding off on listening to this next episode until after I get around to watching that movie, because if any movie deserves it, it's Citizen Kane.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Andorra posted:

I haven't seen most of the movies they cover, but I'll listen to the episode anyway. I will, however, be holding off on listening to this next episode until after I get around to watching that movie, because if any movie deserves it, it's Citizen Kane.

It's one of the rare, "GREATEST MOVIE EVER" movies that actually lives up to the hype. You could say it's the Citizen Kane of movies.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Yeah, it's real good. Next year they have the do Casablanca. Some classic Hitchcock movies would be good. I feel like they could get a lot out of something like Rebecca.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Big Daddy Dispatch is out and this might be one of the best-ever months of WHM, holy poo poo

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Soup du Jour posted:

Big Daddy Dispatch is out and this might be one of the best-ever months of WHM, holy poo poo

I was just going to post this exact thing.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Hockles posted:

I was just going to post this exact thing.

Thirding that. I think I gasped out loud at every loving pick. And I’m blown away that they are going to get Eric to sit down and watch the AD choice 😂

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Soup du Jour posted:

do tell...

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

We Love Movies month. It’s amazing.

Episode 518 — Citizen Kane

Episode 519 — Fargo

Episode 520 — Batman Returns with Jamelle Bouie

Episode 521 — The Muppet Christmas Carol

Episode 522 — A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)*

Patreon Episodes:

Patreon Exclusive We Love Movies — The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring**

Animation Damnation — Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

The Nexus: Star Trek (2009)

Gleep Glossary: Yoda

The Mandalorian Half-Hour: Chapters 14, 15, and 16

Patreon Exclusive Synchable Commentary: Die Hard

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Mask of the Phantasm HELL loving YES

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Holy poo poo the commentary. That one merits how I watched Commando-mentary: a nice leisurely day drunk on the couch on a Friday just enjoying the ride.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

drat that's a good month.

Also, I finally got around to watching Inside Man because I wanted to see it before listening to the episode and that film was real good.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I dont care for the first movie of the month, but the rest of the month is solid gold with a great commentary. Good month ahead.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

dorium posted:

I dont care for the first movie of the month, but the rest of the month is solid gold with a great commentary. Good month ahead.

yea like objectively it does belong on a list of good movies and all but I'm unsure how they'll actually riff on it

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

sexpig by night posted:

yea like objectively it does belong on a list of good movies and all but I'm unsure how they'll actually riff on it

Lots of "ah HAAA, the French" drunk Orson Welles jokes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GoutPatrol posted:

Lots of "ah HAAA, the French" drunk Orson Welles jokes.

...yea okay I'm in for an hour of just Orson Welles jokes.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

it is the "Oh, who could care" movie of the month for me.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
What's with the asterisks?

They need to do more Nightmare movies, they've only done two (not including Freddy vs Jason).

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Nice that they're closing out this nightmare of a year with Nightmare on Elm Street.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Fezz posted:

What's with the asterisks?

They need to do more Nightmare movies, they've only done two (not including Freddy vs Jason).

*I can't believe we have to write that. loving remakes.

**Some people have asked if we're going Extended or Theatrical here, the answer as of November 25th is...kind of both? Some of us will have seen the Theatrical, some the Extended, but we'll probably be talking mostly about the Theatrical.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I am also excited for this week's Mandalorian recap. Spoiler for Chapter 13: We are going to get more of Michael Biehn at Comic Con

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I came for the Nexus Star Trek discussion but stayed for the New Jersey online gambling derail. Holy poo poo I was in tears!

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

I just listened to the My Fellow Americans episode. Was great! I especially enjoyed the piss rant.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/stephensajdak/status/1332751183971278849?s=21

Shame!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
really no reason to not do it for Fellowship, Towers and King are kinda hit or miss depending what you like about Lord of the Rings but Fellowship was objectively improved by the extended version.