Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

So did you guys put in the warranty claim, and then 5 days later the shipping label showed up? I haven't even gotten back an email yet saying the upgrade is approved or processed or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

stratdax posted:

Anybody else have a Pieps DSP beacon and did the upgrade? I'm wondering how long it takes to hear a response back. The website said delayed response due to covid, but it's been more than a week now and my touring group is starting up in the near future..

Wildsnow had a pretty cool 3D printed fix but looks like they took it down.

Personally I would just switch to another beacon but I understand that is expensive.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

highme posted:

I read their reasoning behind opening & it all makes sense. They're harvesting snow out of the parking lot & other areas to build up big the mazes they're going to need to to make it all work. Opening on the Monday after a big holiday gives them essentially 5 days of soft opening before the weekend hits. Since last year's passes are good for the first 3 weeks of this season I was thinking of going up on Monday, but I have a fuckton of meetings on Monday that I can't get out of so... Friday it is.

I'm not buying a season pass at Meadows this year unless I can get a coach's pass again and I'm not really feeling the need to flex on that. Planning on buying a night pass to Ski Bowl since it's just about an hour door to door and they don't spin chairs until 3pm, then probably both Meadows & Timberline spring passes.

That seems like a reasonable plan, in regards to seeing how it all plays out. I guess I went all in and have the meadows pass and the epic, so if this season is a bust I am going to bust big. So I am pretty nervous about it. I am glad they are opening on a Monday and I think I will try my luck since I do not work Mondays or Tuesdays. It also happens to be right near finals week (I am going back to school to finish my degree) so it might be a little tight, but I think I can squeeze in a half day or two of skiing. I am in the odd position that Meadows is my closest resort (except Copper Spur), as I live east, in The Dalles. I have never been to Skibowl for night skiing, and to be honest I was a little turned off at how slow the main chair was when I went. But the price was right, so it might be worth a shot. I wonder how night skiing is going to look this season without all the racing teams. From my experience at Meadows, it seemed like most of the night skiers were kids on teams.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

stratdax posted:

So did you guys put in the warranty claim, and then 5 days later the shipping label showed up? I haven't even gotten back an email yet saying the upgrade is approved or processed or whatever.

Indeed.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Well opening day at Squaw didn’t look like anything particularly concerning from a social distancing standpoint

Might see about checking things out later this week or this weekend.

I did find it funny that none of the Vail resorts I checked today had webcams pointed at their lift lines.

Regardless, getting myself prepared for the season, and supporting local businesses, made a boot fitting appointment and ordered some skis, bindings and skins from Moment this evening.

https://www.momentskis.com/products/wildcat-tour-108

Stoked.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Steve French posted:

Well opening day at Squaw didn’t look like anything particularly concerning from a social distancing standpoint

Might see about checking things out later this week or this weekend.

I did find it funny that none of the Vail resorts I checked today had webcams pointed at their lift lines.

Regardless, getting myself prepared for the season, and supporting local businesses, made a boot fitting appointment and ordered some skis, bindings and skins from Moment this evening.

https://www.momentskis.com/products/wildcat-tour-108

Stoked.

That doesn't look too crowded at all. I would imagine Vail could have created a pretty sparse environment with their reservation system. I don't check a lot of their resorts, but the ones I do don't seem to have too many cameras on lift lines, other than the base ones. (Thinking of PCMR). But they have an app with wait times for the various resorts. I will definitely look at that tomorrow!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

That doesn't look too crowded at all. I would imagine Vail could have created a pretty sparse environment with their reservation system. I don't check a lot of their resorts, but the ones I do don't seem to have too many cameras on lift lines, other than the base ones. (Thinking of PCMR). But they have an app with wait times for the various resorts. I will definitely look at that tomorrow!

The app is pretty accurate on actual lift lines until the line is so long that it no longer can tell. Basically anything under 20 min is accurate, above....probably should go home anyways. I looked at Keystone's last weekend and it looked like 2-5 min lines.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

spwrozek posted:

The app is pretty accurate on actual lift lines until the line is so long that it no longer can tell. Basically anything under 20 min is accurate, above....probably should go home anyways. I looked at Keystone's last weekend and it looked like 2-5 min lines.

I’m less concerned about the wait time and more about what the situation looks like during said wait. An app telling me the wait time doesn’t really say poo poo about how well they’re doing at maintaining distance and spacing in the line, and a live camera does a pretty decent job.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Steve French posted:

I’m less concerned about the wait time and more about what the situation looks like during said wait. An app telling me the wait time doesn’t really say poo poo about how well they’re doing at maintaining distance and spacing in the line, and a live camera does a pretty decent job.

Yeah for sure. I would generally correlate 1-2 min times as more favorable than 15 min times for distancing and such.

E: Vail has one on Mid-vail lifts that you could probably look at to see what they are generally doing (although probably different out in Tahoe)

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 25, 2020

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

spwrozek posted:

Yeah for sure. I would generally correlate 1-2 min times as more favorable than 15 min times for distancing and such.

E: Vail has one on Mid-vail lifts that you could probably look at to see what they are generally doing (although probably different out in Tahoe)

Oh I wasn’t particularly concerned with Vail resorts out here, I’m ikon pass as that’s where the terrain I want to ski near home is. I was just looking around at various resorts’ cameras today after I saw squaws and noticed what I thought was an interesting pattern.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

This day in skiing...friend one posts pictures of her bad self at the top of Keystone, looks decent but suuuuuper green down in the valley.

And then I just got this from my regular skiing partner via PM

Yeah gently caress weekend skiing this year

Sunshine on Saturday was lined up all the way through the barricades and then snaking back and forth through five rows of cars. gently caress weekend skiing all season.

Also lol I went out Tuesday with my friend who just moved out from Ontario. I've been telling him over and over it's early season, take it easy there's loads of time, you don't know the terrain etc. Of course the first run of the day he ignores some bamboo poles, eats it on a rock and ends up with a fracture in his shoulder. Perhaps a month of time out will learn him.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Fired up the EpicMix app for the first time this season to take a look at the various lift lines and mountain cams, and they have really killed a lot of the nice features of the app that made it kind of fun. I enjoyed the pins and challenges, and now they are all gone. I also enjoyed being able to look at the stats and seeing how many rides on which chairlift and whatnot, but it seems that is gone, although it keeps a total of vertical. Seems like a huge regression for no reason. I am incredibly disappointed. Not surprised though, Vail seems to aggressively hate their customers.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Also lol I went out Tuesday with my friend who just moved out from Ontario. I've been telling him over and over it's early season, take it easy there's loads of time, you don't know the terrain etc. Of course the first run of the day he ignores some bamboo poles, eats it on a rock and ends up with a fracture in his shoulder. Perhaps a month of time out will learn him.

Idiots like this is why I never ski in the first week.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Sunshine on Saturday was lined up all the way through the barricades and then snaking back and forth through five rows of cars. gently caress weekend skiing all season.
It wasn't even close to that bad the time I made this mistake of going between xmas and new years and had to park on the road in.

quote:

"OB? lol OB its where the good stuff is" as some idiot skis off the cliff to the right of Teepee Town XL

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

spwrozek posted:

Ha, skiing would have been good though! did you have AWD/4WD and snow tires or chains?

Lol I wish.

We’re from Houston in a 2WD Grand Cherokee we had no business even trying that morning. Roads look good now though! Bummer.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

In Oregon we need a special parking permit called a "Sno-Park" pass to park at the resorts that are on forest service land. Does Colorado have a similar thing?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Pretty much all of our resort is on forest service land but the parking isn’t. But I’ve never heard of anything like that.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

In Oregon the permit is needed from November through I think April, it is only $25 though, but it is needed for almost all the resorts and even the ski town of Government Camp. I believe it helps to fund snow removal and a few other things.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Any other snowbird passholders in here?

This half assed parking reservation system is scaring the poo poo out of most of us locals. I tried to buy a preferred parking pass at the end of Aug and was told they'd be back on sale soon. That didn't happen...

Weekend parking is booked through the start of march, and their answer is "just ride the bus!" Most locals ski weekends here, passholders are pretty pissed. Just ride the bus? Uhh, yeah, no.

The parking reservation system Powdr Corp is using will literally encourage carpooling and cause more spreading of Covid. Insanity.

RE: splitboard skins chat, I just have the rossi skins tailor cut for my XV split, but I can speak from experience and say that whatever skins you get, make drat sure they have tail clips. My first pair of Voile skins didn't and boy, that lead to some interesting "doing the splits" moments on the skintrack.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 26, 2020

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

In Oregon we need a special parking permit called a "Sno-Park" pass to park at the resorts that are on forest service land. Does Colorado have a similar thing?

in Australia we have to have a national parks pass to park on the hill. All national parks are like $8-12 parking per day, with Kosciusko national park (where the snow is) is $29/day

a year pass for all parks is $60 excluding Kos, including is $180. its essentially a tax on rich ppl though so im not too salty about it.

the alternative is the skitube (train) which is like $90 addition to your season pass or something absurd like $25 a day.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Fun afternoon out:

Still a bit boney out there but overall can't complain.

Also the trailhead got a nice new sign. My buddy says they should add a sign that says "if any of this is new to you turn around, get in your car, and drive home".

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

So I'm having really awful pain on the outside of my both my feet. About where the binding strap connects on the boot but a little lower. Does anyone know what could cause this? I'm not sure if I just need to try different boots. I have the binding straps positioned correctly.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

That is a good sign, and would be a good addition. Have a feeling there’s gonna be some carnage out there this year.

Great pics. No dings on the board?

Partial Octopus posted:

So I'm having really awful pain on the outside of my both my feet. About where the binding strap connects on the boot but a little lower. Does anyone know what could cause this? I'm not sure if I just need to try different boots. I have the binding straps positioned correctly.

I would go to a bootfitter if you can. I don’t know what your boot situation is but it sounds like footbeds would be a good thing, and you can always try on a couple of brands to see what seems to be the best fit.

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 26, 2020

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Partial Octopus posted:

can you show a pic of how you have them positioned?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

California only requires it to park at sno-parks during winters - a couple friends with vans do this for overnight parking. Not needed for parking at the resort tho.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

That is a good sign, and would be a good addition. Have a feeling there’s gonna be some carnage out there this year.

Great pics. No dings on the board?

Yeah we will see. This spot is right off I70 and actually doesn't get too crowded usually. 6 cars today though.

touched a few sharks but nothing too bad. No base repair needed. I also buy them to use them.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Macnult posted:

can you show a pic of how you have them positioned?

I actually just went to REI to grab some boots to test out to see if my Photons were what was causing the issue. I'm a bit worried it's these bindings though. IDK if the fact that they're canted might have something to do with it? The pain is kind of along the outside edge of my foot, mostly in the middle and up a bit as well. I tried adding some insoles in my old boots but it didn't help with the issue.

Unfortunately, I don't have other bindings to test.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Since we cancelled my parents' Thanksgiving visit, my partner and I were split between touring in WY or riding bikes in Fruita. I feel like our choice of the latter was the wrong option.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

Since we cancelled my parents' Thanksgiving visit, my partner and I were split between touring in WY or riding bikes in Fruita. I feel like our choice of the latter was the wrong option.

I mean I love bikes... but it is ski season man.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Skiing tomorrow and then going camping and canyoneering in Utah. One day it will all be desert season.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

How about a compromise and use one of those weird ski bike things people ride for novelty?

Big_Gulps_Huh
Nov 7, 2006
Where are my hooks?
I thought that was a disability thing?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Big_Gulps_Huh posted:

I thought that was a disability thing?

I was more referring to these ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phT4fVnCJ0U

as opposed to the adaptive mono-ski that I believe you are thinking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpK3MpzxieU

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

Partial Octopus posted:

I actually just went to REI to grab some boots to test out to see if my Photons were what was causing the issue. I'm a bit worried it's these bindings though. IDK if the fact that they're canted might have something to do with it? The pain is kind of along the outside edge of my foot, mostly in the middle and up a bit as well. I tried adding some insoles in my old boots but it didn't help with the issue.

Are you cranking down the lower boa really hard and cutting off circulation to your feet?

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Partial Octopus posted:

canting shouldn’t be causing it. did you have this problem last season or did it just start happening? if it’s the former then your foot might just not agree with the boot, or like what EvilTwig said you might just be cranking down too hard on your boas.
have you tried messing around with your binding angles? last season i was having pain in my leading ankle/side of my foot and found that switching from 18/-15 to 15/-18 completely resolved the issue for me

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I tried different boots and bindings and still had the issue. I also tried changing stance angles. Although switching boots made it better on my back foot. I'll try one more pair of boots and see if that fixes the issue.

Unfortunately, I didn't really get to go last season. Maybe my feet are just weak from sitting around during Corona.

Speaking of Corona, I went to Vail today and it was a poo poo show. They really made no attempt to enforce the 6 feet rule and I saw a lot of people without masks on in line. It didn't help that the mountain got pretty much no snow so far which caused only a few runs to be open and massive lift lines leading into the village.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Stacking them up

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Partial Octopus posted:

I tried different boots and bindings and still had the issue. I also tried changing stance angles. Although switching boots made it better on my back foot. I'll try one more pair of boots and see if that fixes the issue.

Unfortunately, I didn't really get to go last season. Maybe my feet are just weak from sitting around during Corona.

Speaking of Corona, I went to Vail today and it was a poo poo show. They really made no attempt to enforce the 6 feet rule and I saw a lot of people without masks on in line. It didn't help that the mountain got pretty much no snow so far which caused only a few runs to be open and massive lift lines leading into the village.

I looked on the epic app and it looked like Vail, Breck, Beaver Creek were all shitshows with very little terrain open and huge lift lines. Hopefully when more terrain is open the lines kind of dissipate. I wish I understood Holidays and skiing better. What are the actual holidays people go skiing on, and which are the ones people skip? I would imagine Christmas Eve, NYE would be really crowded, but was surprised to see people going to go out skiing on Thanksgiving. I would have imagined people would have stayed home for the most part.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I looked on the epic app and it looked like Vail, Breck, Beaver Creek were all shitshows with very little terrain open and huge lift lines. Hopefully when more terrain is open the lines kind of dissipate. I wish I understood Holidays and skiing better. What are the actual holidays people go skiing on, and which are the ones people skip? I would imagine Christmas Eve, NYE would be really crowded, but was surprised to see people going to go out skiing on Thanksgiving. I would have imagined people would have stayed home for the most part.

Usually Thanksgiving morning. Christmas morning, and new years day morning are good time to be at the resort. Every other holiday time/period is slammed.

E: Summit county made the resorts reduce capacity on wednesday. surprised/not surprised breck was crowded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Was the capacity reduction something like "Reduce to 50% of max capacity" or "Reduce to 50% capacity of active lift uphill capacity"?