Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

weekly font posted:

Killing of a Sacred Deer

I've been waiting on this one so this gives me a reason to give it a go. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm 36 now. :toot:

I've also got a patreon up for the Scream Stream if you want to pay me back for 8 years of unpaid work:

https://www.patreon.com/screamstreamofficial

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

AKZ posted:

Making gun violence have the proper weight behind it is a quality I appreciate in a movie. The Lodge did well with that scene. Can anyone else think of other examples?

A big part of it is the sound design. Action movie guns are like popcorn makers, they just blast little "pew pew" noises and squibs shoot sparks and you get numb to it. To make guns scary, make them sound like real guns. Dial down the ambient soundtrack and noise and then have one really loud, scary blast. Guns are terrifying if you don't have hearing protection. And that's also something you can add, that tinnitus sound and then muffle the sound so that the audience is experiencing what the protagonists are.

And of course, have the bullets be as devastating as actual bullets, and not like bee stings that you can just wrap in gauze and be fine.

Revenge is another good example of gun violence done right, although it's a little "stylized" with excessive amounts of blood. But the movie treats guns as a real threat instead of people playing with toys.

e: V But for real, where's Mythbusters when we need someone to throw a dummy off a cliff onto a shrub for science?

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 25, 2020

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

King Vidiot posted:

Revenge is another good example of gun violence done right, although it's a little "stylized" with excessive amounts of blood. But the movie treats guns as a real threat instead of people playing with toys.

Yet it manages to screw up how gravity works.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Santa Claus (1959) is the greatest Christmas horror movie.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

AKZ posted:

Making gun violence have the proper weight behind it is a quality I appreciate in a movie. The Lodge did well with that scene. Can anyone else think of other examples?
In a different direction, I always loved Kurt Russell's performance of an rear end in a top hat getting shot in Death Proof. So many movies have characters basically forget they got shot after 10 seconds, and I loved how believably he just completely freaks out and never stops.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Martman posted:

In a different direction, I always loved Kurt Russell's performance of an rear end in a top hat getting shot in Death Proof. So many movies have characters basically forget they got shot after 10 seconds, and I loved how believably he just completely freaks out and never stops.

Tarantino tends to try and be realistic when it comes to stuff like that, similar to Mr. Orange in Reservoir Dogs, or Bridget Von Hammersmark in Inglourious Basterds.

I think it was the 80s where movies decided that getting shot in the shoulder is no big deal and the character could continue on as long as they grimace and complain and leave a blood trail. I've broken my shoulder and I can tell you that it basically disables you until it heals.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

It's actually because back in the 80s, muscles were so hard bullets had a harder time penetrating them. Men would often squeeze bullets out of their bodies by flexing their sick muscles.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I mean, when I was 12 I definitely would've believed that Arnold's pecs can absorb a bullet with no serious injury ala Last Action Hero. Hell, I may still believe it now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

weekly font posted:

Killing of a Sacred Deer

I spent a lot of time in the hospital featured in that movie last year (my roommate had 2 surgeries and spent 2 weeks there), so it was a trip when I watched it and saw them pull up to the same doors that we did when she checked in.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

AKZ posted:

Possessor.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

My grandmother shot my grandfather 7 times at a go, and he got to the hospital conscious and apparently coherent. So you know, it just depends really.

Kvlt! posted:

It's actually because back in the 80s, muscles were so hard bullets had a harder time penetrating them. Men would often squeeze bullets out of their bodies by flexing their sick muscles.

Come to think of it this may have been in the early 80s

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Man, Possession is a really good movie. I really dont regret spending the money on that boxset. I may even get a small frame for that japanese lobby card that came with it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like realistic and effective/weighty gun violence in movies are two different things. If you see someone get shot irl it's often pretty understated. They often just slump over or sometimes even keep going. It's not always gory or dramatic. Some guns even just sound sort of like firecrackers going off. It's really the emotion and consequences that can make it disturbing in a movie.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Hell yea. I've had this one ready to go, too.

Not gun related, well the movie is, but not this particular scene. In the vein of realistically approaching things other movies take for granted in Blue Ruin when Dwight slashes the tire on the limo and his hand slides up the blade. Goddamn was that visceral for me.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Lockdown is ending in the UK, so this might be my last one of these for a while :iiam:

:spooky: Sunday Chill Stream - Life in the Gutter Spectacular :spooky:
:rip: Only on the CineD Discord :rip:

All times in EST and may not reflect reality

0900 Deadbeat at Dawn
1030 Smithereens
1215 Relaxer
1355 Bringing Out the Dead
1605 The Lovers on the Bridge
1820 Bad Lieutenant
2005 The Doom Generation (Uncut)
2135 La Haine
2325 Santa Sangre

Lurdiak posted:

I've also got a patreon up for the Scream Stream if you want to pay me back for 8 years of unpaid work:

Happy birthday! :toot:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

2005 The Doom Generation (Uncut)

Can you PM me where you sourced this? I literally ordered a DVD this morning hoping its the uncut but I've been burned before on this movie. For some reason its so hard to find it uncut. And theres like an 11 minute difference too so its not even like its just a gory shot cut or something.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

Can you PM me where you sourced this? I literally ordered a DVD this morning hoping its the uncut but I've been burned before on this movie. For some reason its so hard to find it uncut. And theres like an 11 minute difference too so its not even like its just a gory shot cut or something.

I'm pretty sure I can guess what they cut, namely the more explicit bisexual stuff and the sacrilegious elements of the ending. There's nothing in the film that's too shocking gore-wise. And check your PMs! :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Nothing to add but :stwoon: James Duval.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

AKZ posted:

Not gun related, well the movie is, but not this particular scene. In the vein of realistically approaching things other movies take for granted in Blue Ruin when Dwight slashes the tire on the limo and his hand slides up the blade. Goddamn was that visceral for me.

Blue Ruin is really great at shattering revenge fantasy tropes, and showing how the reality would be sloppy and full of mistakes. Simple little stuff like slipping on the blood on the floor, or how not a lot of things are really effective cover in a firefight. It's like how everyone thinks they could disarm an active shooter if they had a gun, but they'd probably just endanger themselves and everyone else around them.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
House (1977) is unique. I liked it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ReapersTouch posted:

House (1977) is unique. I liked it

This is the most understated review I've ever read.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Lol, I'm sure it is. I'm not very descriptive about reviews of movies I've watched, and I got busy so I just hit submit before putting down my small amount of words so I apologize.

Some of the shots are jarring, but other than that, it is a really cute movie.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I’ve been thinking about Possession, on and off all day. I both want to watch it again but also can’t.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

dorium posted:

I’ve been thinking about Possession, on and off all day. I both want to watch it again but also can’t.

You should definitely explore your thoughts and feelings on the MOTM page :)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946259

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I finally watched The VVitch after all these years and it was pretty good. Although I think I spent most of the movie just deciphering what they were trying to say.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I finally watched The VVitch after all these years and it was pretty good. Although I think I spent most of the movie just deciphering what they were trying to say.

"It would suck if there was a witch"

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

dorium posted:

I pulled the trigger on the bluray (the $40 version, couldn’t bring myself to drop the extra $40 on the bigger set) and am thinking the same thing. As much as I loved it, it’s an intense watch and I may not revisit right away.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I don’t know if I was in the wrong mood or what but Possessor didn’t work for me. I felt like I knew where they were going with it really early and lost patience with the slow pace. I’m assuming I’m just wrong because literally everyone else liked it, oh well.

Lurdiak posted:

We have the same turkey beleaguered birthday.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

We have the same turkey beleaguered birthday.

Thankfully I am Canadian so Fake Thanksgiving doesn't encroach on my turf.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lurdiak posted:

"It would suck if there was a witch"

Also goats are cool

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Iron Crowned posted:

Also goats are cool

That's so kind.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

You should definitely explore your thoughts and feelings on the MOTM page :)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946259

I’m still gathering my own thoughts in my head. That movie is quite a bit to process. I chose a hell of a time to stop drinking.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

drat RIP Daria Nicolodi

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This is a devastating loss.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Speaking of the MOTM thread, I forgot to crosspost this, but The White Reindeer is available on vimeo. The wonderful and much-loved forums user Yesterdays Piss managed to track it down. It was the first horror film produced in Finland, and it's spectacularly beautiful, fascinating from an anthropological POV, and presents a satanic-panic/werewolf/vampiric storyline. Definitely a pro-watch.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That makes me VERY sad. I was gonna watch Superman II and Empire Strikes Back tonight but I may need a Daria Nicolodi film instead.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
RIP. Whoever cut her out of most of Deep Red was a criminal. In case some posters here don't know, there is a longer, more complete and vastly superior cut of Deep Red available that does not remove her for most of its runtime.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

married but discreet posted:

RIP. Whoever cut her out of most of Deep Red was a criminal. In case some posters here don't know, there is a longer, more complete and vastly superior cut of Deep Red available that does not remove her for most of its runtime.

Sadly I have absolutely no idea WHERE its available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Arrow Video has a Blu Ray with both versions.

Not sure if they've made it available in other regions.