Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it will take longer to ferment if you start with less yeast but yeah it does multiply on its own.

i have never made alcoholic beer but i sometimes make ginger beer with some champagne yeast i got on ebay and i start with like 1/8 tsp and after three days there's half an inch of the stuff on the bottom of the bottle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
one yeast is a yeat

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Yeast is a living thing that eats carbs and shits booze. It's an absolute miracle that it exists.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

President Beep posted:

one yeast is a yeat

I can't keep up with the yospos plurality canon

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

It’s possible to put in too little yeast and have other bad bacteria take over and dominate the yeast before it can really take off.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
seemed to be percolating away well today. hopefully i at least didn’t under do it.

e: this is the stuff i used. https://labelpeelers.com/wine-makin...-xoC_yAQAvD_BwE

double e: gently caress, looks like it’s some kind of champagne strain. hope the mead doesn’t turn out too dry.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 26, 2020

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

If it’s bubbling and doesn’t have obvious green or black mold colors you’re doing just fine.

One of my cider batches (thought that post of yours was cider) got a tiny bit of mold on the surface so I added more fresh apple peels and the rejuvenated yeast won out, other bacterias can’t handle the higher alcohol level and die off.

And champaign yeast for mead (and even cider!) is super duper common, it’ll be great don’t worry.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

President Beep posted:

seemed to be percolating away well today. hopefully i at least didn’t under do it.

e: this is the stuff i used. https://labelpeelers.com/wine-makin...-xoC_yAQAvD_BwE

double e: gently caress, looks like it’s some kind of champagne strain. hope the mead doesn’t turn out too dry.

if it's too dry add some honey when you serve it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

hell yeah. thanks for the reassurance. and yeah, the reaction going on, at least at this early stage, seems okay. no weird colors or anything. a somewhat lighter colored film forming on top, but i have a hunch it’s not contaminated. i did a pretty thorough job sanitizing the equipment and i boiled my water before adding the other ingredients.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

PokeJoe posted:

if it's too dry add some honey when you serve it

oh, right. that seems pretty straightforward.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Fortaleza posted:

What kind of yeast you using? In my previous small (< 1 gallon) batches I used natural yeast from the peels and 1 turned out great and 1 turned out super mediocre.

Going to do a 5 gallon or so batch soon and not sure if I'm willing to roll the dice like that on it.

whatever drops out of his foreskin, duh

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

President Beep posted:

wait, so it didn’t matter how much i put in?

ehhh having more helps it get going faster but not really, no

what you're seeing right now is a giant yeast orgy

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

man i was telling myself i should get around to buying more beer supplies before the next lockdown hit and now woops!!!

i think i'm gonna give my guy a call anyways to see if i can order some over the phone and just have him leave it outside for me to pick up. i want my dipshit juice damnit

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

President Beep posted:

yeah as mentioned as long as there's some yeast, you'll get things going, it'll just be lagging by a day or two at the most. yeast will reproduce along an exponential curve (which you may sometimes see referred to as logarithmic growth because microbiologists are all drunk on their own wine you can get a nice line by plotting the growth axis on a logarithmic scale) so using too little isn't too much of a setback. using too much is also fine but may make things happen too quickly or add too much of a yeasty flavour.

additionally, the temperature at which you ferment will have really interesting effects - obviously it will affect the rate of growth, but sometimes it will completely change the ratio of various metabolites, which is one of the ways you can change the flavour profiles of your finished product.

the type of yeast won't matter as much as you think; the biggest difference is the alcohol level at which it dies off, which you can monitor if it matters too much.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

after just 1 month of fermentation, the yeast takes over your entire house

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Jabor posted:

Yeast is a living thing that eats carbs and shits booze. It's an absolute miracle that it exists.

it's nice to be noticed

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fart simpson posted:

nah you just become a subway

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

for yeast you can definitely add too little. it's typically referred to as "underpitching" and can result in off-flavors from stressed out yeast. i think it's largely because of the nutrients and oxygen yeast need to multiply. the yeast doesn't really multiply once it's anaerobic and converting the sugars to alcohol, so if you don't add enough initially it can have a poor fermentation. i don't really know the mechanism for this, yeast has a pretty complex lifecycle but apparently it has some preferred population when it does fermentation and outside of that it gets stressed out.

in dry yeast, the yeast is actually grown in the lab in oxygen-rich environments where it multiplies aggressively. then it's quickly dried in the high-oxygen and healthy state. so when you pitch dry yeast it will use the oxygen and nutrients from the lab growth to multiply in the mead and get a healthy population going for the anaerobic stage. after it ferments it will drop out (flocculate) and drop to the bottom, forming a yeast cake and clearing up the mead.

but it's actually a large range as far as i know, so if your yeast started quickly and the airlock is lively then it's fine. if you got close with eyeballing it then it's close enough.

and yeah the champagne yeast will get you a pretty dry product. honey is very fermentable by yeast, they can easily eat most of the sugars. and i think champagne yeast is a high attenuator, that is it will eat most of the sugars available before flocculating.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

holy poo poo i haven’t thought about them in ten years

i legit like slack for groups now, even though free is limited. i kind of hate discord and the weird cultures and power structures that always arise therein

i created the best power structure in the yospos discord by giving mod powers to crip eating bread

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Eeyo posted:

for yeast you can definitely add too little. it's typically referred to as "underpitching" and can result in off-flavors from stressed out yeast. i think it's largely because of the nutrients and oxygen yeast need to multiply. the yeast doesn't really multiply once it's anaerobic and converting the sugars to alcohol, so if you don't add enough initially it can have a poor fermentation. i don't really know the mechanism for this, yeast has a pretty complex lifecycle but apparently it has some preferred population when it does fermentation and outside of that it gets stressed out.

sounds like a metaphor for capitalism

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fortaleza posted:

It’s possible to put in too little yeast and have other bad bacteria take over and dominate the yeast before it can really take off.

happens all the time when trina grow mushies :qq:

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Verizon FIOS does NOT have data caps, which is why it's expensive as poo poo. Worth it.

fios doesnt have caps but if u hit like tens of TBs a month you might get an email thats like "hey could u chill out a bit maybe?"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Eeyo posted:

in dry yeast, the yeast is actually grown in the lab in oxygen-rich environments where it multiplies aggressively. then it's quickly dried in the high-oxygen and healthy state. so when you pitch dry yeast it will use the oxygen and nutrients from the lab growth to multiply in the mead and get a healthy population going for the anaerobic stage. after it ferments it will drop out (flocculate) and drop to the bottom, forming a yeast cake and clearing up the mead.

but it's actually a large range as far as i know, so if your yeast started quickly and the airlock is lively then it's fine. if you got close with eyeballing it then it's close enough.

and yeah the champagne yeast will get you a pretty dry product. honey is very fermentable by yeast, they can easily eat most of the sugars. and i think champagne yeast is a high attenuator, that is it will eat most of the sugars available before flocculating.

you're right, although the risk is really overstated imo, though the risk may be higher if you're using a wild stater. modern yeast cultures tend to be very viable. unless you're intentionally using very little, i'm suspicious that most will notice (some taste trials in beer bear this out). you're also right in that yeast will use up resources, including oxygen, as they reproduce, and if you're relying on multiple generations of reproduction to metabolize sufficient alcohol, you may use up more oxygen et al. i wouldn't call it stressed, necessarily, though, as yeast, at least the species most used in fermentation, will reproduce anaerobically, too, if they have enough resources

echinopsis posted:

~~aseptic~~

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 26, 2020

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

echinopsis posted:

Prooobably not the same kind of mushrooms you’re talking about but in a vid on the LiZiQui youtube channel she has an old log she drilled little holes into and put in spores and covered them up, little mushroom farm!

Really want to try it with shitake or chanterelles.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fortaleza posted:

Prooobably not the same kind of mushrooms you’re talking about but in a vid on the LiZiQui youtube channel she has an old log she drilled little holes into and put in spores and covered them up, little mushroom farm!

Really want to try it with shitake or chanterelles.

i keep meaning to do this because you can put them anywhere! like, basement, closet, spare room, wherever

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
there are a handful of species of wood loving magic mushrooms and yeah .. it’s not hard necessary to sterilise and innoculate dowel bits, and then yeah drill the holes and put the things in. boom

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what I would do for some spore prints of wood loving magic mushrooms

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

mediaphage posted:

you're right, although the risk is really overstated imo, though the risk may be higher if you're using a wild stater. modern yeast cultures tend to be very viable. unless you're intentionally using very little, i'm suspicious that most will notice (some taste trials in beer bear this out). you're also right in that yeast will use up resources, including oxygen, as they reproduce, and if you're relying on multiple generations of reproduction to metabolize sufficient alcohol, you may use up more oxygen et al. i wouldn't call it stressed, necessarily, though, as yeast, at least the species most used in fermentation, will reproduce anaerobically, too, if they have enough resources

~~aseptic~~

yeast is a fuckin crazy sophisticated organism and it's great reading about it. it's great that it all started when ancient humans had 'magic' sticks that they knew stirring in certain types of mixtures would result in that great dipshit juice we know as alcohol. just wonderful

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeast is a fuckin crazy sophisticated organism and it's great reading about it. it's great that it all started when ancient humans had 'magic' sticks that they knew stirring in certain types of mixtures would result in that great dipshit juice we know as alcohol. just wonderful

i love fermentation, it's so nutbar. definitely a reason i pursued micro. and we're on the cusp of unbelievably wild work with microbes, way more than we've ever done before, which is already impressive! transgenic yeasts give us all sorts of useful stuff.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

after 2 months the entire world is yeast. this has only happened once before

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

after 2 months the entire world is yeast. this has only happened once before

we think the ordovician had maybe-fungus that grew up over 25 feet tall
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prototaxites

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

there are a handful of species of wood loving magic mushrooms and yeah .. it’s not hard necessary to sterilise and innoculate dowel bits, and then yeah drill the holes and put the things in. boom

echi make the magic mushroom wand

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

mediaphage posted:

i love fermentation, it's so nutbar. definitely a reason i pursued micro. and we're on the cusp of unbelievably wild work with microbes, way more than we've ever done before, which is already impressive! transgenic yeasts give us all sorts of useful stuff.

yeah this is kind of a simple example but i thought it was neat: https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/united-states/product-details/sourvisiae/. they added a gene to make lactic acid to brewer's yeast, so you can make sour beers without a mixed fermentation or kettle souring. i'd definitely be on board with using transgenic yeast, but i figure it may be a while before the homebrew market gets a lot of the new interesting stuff.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

President Beep posted:

echi make the magic mushroom wand

the dosing rodtronics

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Eeyo posted:

yeah this is kind of a simple example but i thought it was neat: https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/united-states/product-details/sourvisiae/. they added a gene to make lactic acid to brewer's yeast, so you can make sour beers without a mixed fermentation or kettle souring. i'd definitely be on board with using transgenic yeast, but i figure it may be a while before the homebrew market gets a lot of the new interesting stuff.

when you first get a grasp for the orders of magnitudes that enzymes are above chemical catalysts, then you get an idea of why yeasts are our new friends

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Asleep Style posted:

I can't keep up with the yospos plurality canon

One yopos
Two yospos

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
three or more yospi

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007