Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I can’t remember, do Light spells scale off of INT in this game? And only healing magic scales off of Spirit? I can’t remember if this is like the original game where all Wisp spells scale off of Spirit.

Only healing spells scale off spirit. (well, that and magic defense) Holy Bolt, Lucent Beam and summons scale off INT this time around.

And Charlotte gets Healing Light+, no matter what path she takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

I'm in the postgame on Expert and holy shitfuck Kevin's class change fight is insane. Even with unlimited items and throwing buff and debuffs letting him get one hit on me in the second half end with a fatal combo. I don't even want to think about Angela's.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Angela’s was insanely difficult in Hard... :lol:

Does the skill Critical Damage increase your critical hit damage or does it increase your attack after you’ve been hit by a crit? The description is worded very strangely.

Edit: I looked it up and yes it does. I have Kevin the +50 luck ability you get for beating the game with Hawkeye and when he uses Moon Energy he’s a crit machine. Combined with the skills that lower enemy attack/defense on crit and it’s :discourse:

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 25, 2020

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If you are maining Kevin/doing Charlotte’s story with Kevin, make sure you follow Beast King Dad up the stairs after the confrontation with Goremand (aka the best villain) after getting the Mana Sword.

Karl :unsmith:

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

The game is on sale, does anyone have any recommendations for which system to buy it on? I have a PS4/Switch/PC and have no need for games on one system over another.

PS4, would look the best on my TV? Switch, has handheld benefits? PC, I dunno, framerate and modding potential (maybe?)?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I went with PS4 because I played the Switch demo and it ran very poorly. PS4 looks great, runs at 60fps etc

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Switch performance was fine from my experience, though there are hiccups here and there. PS4 or PC will run better for sure.

It’s basically down to performance vs. convenience.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Game runs in 4k on PS4 Pro if you have that / a 4k TV too.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/managame/status/1326163222609752065?s=21

I’m not shocked that Riesz and Angela are the top two, but I am surprised Angela didn’t beat Riesz.

lol Charlotte

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://twitter.com/managame/status/1326163222609752065?s=21

I’m not shocked that Riesz and Angela are the top two, but I am surprised Angela didn’t beat Riesz.

lol Charlotte

People need to go to horny jail. Riesz is okay but her English voice acting is too stilted. Angela at least has personality, even if she is from Southern California.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the vote was worldwide iirc

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
That artist definitely needs to go to horny jail.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It is certainly no coincidence that they picked her class with the least amount of clothing.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
It should've been Angela.
At least we got a decent amount of E! related fanart from the Vinesauce streams.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Riesz is the best in the original Trials of Mana because of how incredible her spritework is.

Angela is the best in Trials remake because of how amazing her voice actress is. Riesz feels completely stilted by comparison. (Also by how good Anegla's Postgame is compared to basically everyone else)

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 10, 2020

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Kevin's commentary throughout the game is the best

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Angela’s class 4 boss is absurdly difficult which is why it’s great.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Angela is the strongest by a significant margin if you ask me. Lucent Beam is stupid strong against all the Dark dudes.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I thought Reisz was incredibly popular in the original release, so I'm guessing that's more why she won.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Not surprising, although I personally like Charlotte.

Then again I also liked Hope in FF13 so I am probably just weird :v:

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Mega64 posted:

I thought Reisz was incredibly popular in the original release, so I'm guessing that's more why she won.

Yeah, a lot of Riesz love comes from the original release, where she had 1) By far the most unique and useful gameplay function, regardless of class, 2) had a lot of the preferred female character traits in Japan, which was the only region that got the game for some 20 years (Iron-willed in action but demure in manner- also see frequent SNK online poll winner Nakoruru) and 3) Had some very horny final classes, especially on the Dark end of the spectrum.

Angela is probably second due to the rermake, where she's basically inherited 1), had always had 3), and the rest of the world is carrying her being the more interesting and fun character to have around.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

incredible, the vote is almost perfectly organized along lines of horniness

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I appreciate that the artist included #2 and #3 in the picture.

Those three were my party for my first play-through. Wrong classes and main character though.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
In the original game, Lise was by far the most popular character and I think she had more fanart than the rest combined. This probably carried Riesz. Had it been only this game, I think Angela would have beat her.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

The case for Riesz in the original.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Picked up Trials of Mana on sale and have no idea what I'm getting into aside from having played Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore many years ago. I actually may have started SD3, but don't remember anything about it.

I normally get stuck trying to start games where I have to pick a party or character type from the beginning, but I think I'm going to go with Duran (Edelfrei), Angela (Grand Diviner), and Hawkeye (Ninja Master).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Shyfted One posted:

but I think I'm going to go with Duran (Edelfrei), Angela (Grand Diviner), and Hawkeye (Ninja Master).
You can do that and that's fine, but you might consider Duran's light path and Liege in particular so you get access to healing magic. The thing about saber spells is that by the time you get them your other two characters have already gone deep into magic attacks so there not much point.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I had a good time with Light Duran being a tank for (doesn't really matter which) Angela and Ninja Master Hawkeye. He can have that aggro draw talent and they can both have that aggro reduction talent.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Alternatively, you could main Duran as edelfrei and have the other two contribute magic damage. Melee DPS is very weak in the AI’s hands, but it does reasonably at controlling magic characters. Items are easily sufficient for healing, at least unless maybe you’re playing the recently added difficulty modes. Edelfrei is perfectly self-sufficient as a melee character and doesn’t need support, so it still makes sense as a player controlled character on a magic-focused team (or any team, it’s just a super good and versatile class.)

You should absolutely take provoke on Duran, though, whether you control him or not. It’s a really strong ability. Either it will group enemies up and keep them off you if you’re playing a caster, or it will keep your idiot companions alive if you’re controlling Duran.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I'm playing on Hard since it's my 1st time through and it sounds like all the other modes are too easy. From reading some of the thread it seems like items can handle all healing, which is why I was thinking about Edelfrei, but the points about Liege are pretty good. If Angela and Hawkeye are going to be so magic focused then I'd probably be better off with a more defensive and supportive Duran at least for my first time through the game as I don't really know much about the game's mechanics yet to know what I should prioritize or what I can really go without. I'm also an item hoarder in RPGs, so maybe I shouldn't rely on items for all healing right away.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The original is 100% what carried her. In the remake she’s just kinda...bad, sadly. Both as a character and mechanically.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It is certainly no coincidence that they picked her class with the least amount of clothing.

I had Fenrir Knight Riesz on my first playthrough, and laughed during her class 4 cutscene when she said something like "I have never regretted any decision I've made."

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I think I'm going to be happy with the Liege Duran route. I regularly have someone die during normal enemy fights if it's been too long since I've found a gold statue and I've had to reload a couple times for the harder fights where I didn't use items fast enough or tried to get through it with 1-2 characters already dead. Not too far off from finally getting my first class change change I think.

For Light Angela, what would be a good 2nd element to focus on after Light? Hawkeye easily gets access to multiple elements by just putting points into Luck, but for Angela I need to spread them around for other elements.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

It's time for me to start thinking about third classes for my team. Dark Reisz, Dark Duran, Light Charlotte. I'm going to be going the Dark route for Charlotte to keep going on that Saber magic train; I'll have to check the descriptions for Reisz and Duran's third classes to see what's up with them. So from what I understand, what you get from the ??? seeds is set in stone once you pick them up, right? No RNG manipulation on them?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The RNG manipulation is saving before picking them up, pretty much.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Shyfted One posted:

For Light Angela, what would be a good 2nd element to focus on after Light? Hawkeye easily gets access to multiple elements by just putting points into Luck, but for Angela I need to spread them around for other elements.
You get the elements that belongs to the stats and skills you want. I recommend you go intelligence after grabbing all spirit spells and enough strength to get both of Angela's skills that restores MP with heavy attacks. IIRC, this will give you fire, ice and darkness. Once you class change into grand divina, you can respec away the points in strength and put them in luck instead.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

So I lucked into getting both of Reisz's class items and went with making her a Fenrir Knight, because multi-target debuffs? Yes please. That just leaves Duran to figure out. What's the best way to go about getting ??? Seeds other than finding them in the Mana Stone dungeons?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

??? Seeds drop from sufficiently leveled enemies. I think I just ran circles at the top of the Moon Tower and beat up werewolves for them.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I found the best place to get ??? Seeds was the woods of wandara, and to beat up the queeneebs that are around at the beginning. It's an uncommon drop but I got plenty of them that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Parpotos that can be spawned from Marmpotos when they are low on health can also drop them, in the Shimmering Ruins and Labyrinth of Ice.