Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Detroit pulled out of their games in Lexington this weekend, only notable because it prevents Brad Calipari from returning to Rupp to play against his dad.

I don't think there's any way any team plays their full schedule this year. Even if a team manages to avoid an outbreak, someone on their schedule will get it. It wouldn't surprise me to see last minute rescheduling throughout the season just so teams have someone to play.

Why are we doing this again? Money obviously. But maybe Pitino was right, just push the start back to January, and do May Madness when hopefully one of these vaccines is more widely available. Probably too late now though with games starting this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Rick Barnes got the 'rona.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Detroit pulled out of their games in Lexington this weekend, only notable because it prevents Brad Calipari from returning to Rupp to play against his dad.

I don't think there's any way any team plays their full schedule this year. Even if a team manages to avoid an outbreak, someone on their schedule will get it. It wouldn't surprise me to see last minute rescheduling throughout the season just so teams have someone to play.

Why are we doing this again? Money obviously. But maybe Pitino was right, just push the start back to January, and do May Madness when hopefully one of these vaccines is more widely available. Probably too late now though with games starting this week.

i agree it’s stupid but i can sort of understand the logic the ncaa is using here
-you have to start sometime
-a compressed schedule even if it’s conference only is really going to gently caress up any chance these guys have of even paying lip service to the “student” part of student-athlete
-may madness would destroy the exam schedule way worse than the bowl schedule, and not just for the people playing in it

it’s very stupid but i can understand the incredibly stupid logic behind it if you approach it from the perspective of “how do we make a lot of money as soon as possible and wrap it up in a veneer of respectability”

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

MourningView posted:

he's not there anymore but anyone who has ever covered college sports for yahoo is a pathetic ncaa cop
Thamel, who fits that description, was there too, or am I wrong?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Thamel, who fits that description, was there too, or am I wrong?

He was yes.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
After Maine stepped aside, UVA's new first opponent of the season tomorrow will be Towson State.

This isn't really important in any way, just starting to come to grips with how weird this season is going to be.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

elentar posted:

After Maine stepped aside, UVA's new first opponent of the season tomorrow will be Towson State.

This isn't really important in any way, just starting to come to grips with how weird this season is going to be.

Pretty sure they're playing Towson University unless I'm missing something.

URI was supposed to play Stephen F. Austin tomorrow morning, but fell rear end-backwards into Baylor's spot in the Empire Classic. So now they're playing Arizona St. in primetime on ESPN, against former assistant Bobby Hurley. I just hope one of the Mitchell twins looks competent and we don't lose by 25.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/BFQuinn/status/1331614023071227904?s=19

The Big Ten is supposedly testing drat near everyone on a daily basis, quasi-bubble style. There's also talk that the Big Ten is downright hiring a pool of referees (they're independent contractors) so the refs can drive everywhere instead of fly.

Supposedly the NCAA tournament singlehandedly keeps the NCAA afloat, so there will be an NCAA tournament no matter the infection rate.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Whether they're catching lobs or catching corona, I'm looking forward to watching unpaid young adults bounce a ball on a court today

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

First game has tipped off, college basketball is back :toot:

I get that it shouldn’t be, but I am going to try to enjoy what I can of it.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

chaoslord posted:

First game has tipped off, college basketball is back :toot:

I get that it shouldn’t be, but I am going to try to enjoy what I can of it.

I've been a hypocrite throughout football season, why stop now?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Abilene Christian is the year's first victor.

Xavier is beating the living hell out of Oakland, which I guess is no longer a quality mid-major?

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Pretty sure they're playing Towson University unless I'm missing something.

Same school, I just forgot they dropped the "State" part from their official name.

Tipping in 20, lord help me I'm going to listen to the radio feed (also the TV is only on something called FloHoops, whatever the gently caress that is)

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

elentar posted:

Xavier is beating the living hell out of Oakland, which I guess is no longer a quality mid-major?

From the Detroit News:

https://twitter.com/TonyPaul1984/status/1330937171637805056?s=19

No practices since Friday, likely 9-10 players caught COVID.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

facialimpediment posted:

From the Detroit News:

https://twitter.com/TonyPaul1984/status/1330937171637805056?s=19

No practices since Friday, likely 9-10 players caught COVID.

why...why are they playing a game

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

elentar posted:

why...why are they playing a game

Some schools don't have a built in magic money fountain that dumps millions of dollars into a slush fund.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Elephanthead posted:

Some schools don't have a built in magic money fountain that dumps millions of dollars into a slush fund.

ok yes i understand the why, it's actually the "how" that is eluding me. are they suiting up all the walk-ons? equipment managers? random passers-by?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Memphis/St. Mary's just starting, probably the best matchup of the day? Maybe UCLA/SDSU late

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Here lies Illinois St.

They never scored.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Chief McHeath posted:

Here lies Illinois St.

They never scored.

it's bad, op

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

this is gonna be so bad but virginia are still defending champs

what if they downsized the ncaa tournament, is that being discussed? they would have a better chance of making it through and getting their final four money then

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

oystertoadfish posted:

what if they downsized the ncaa tournament, is that being discussed? they would have a better chance of making it through and getting their final four money then

not a chance in hell, that's their meal ticket

on the UVA front though, Trey Murphy III unexpectedly got a waiver from the NCAA, which immediately shores up their need for rebounding. He can shoot too, will see how long it takes to get him up to speed on the interior defense.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

oystertoadfish posted:

I believe many coaches/schools are actually trying to get the NCAA to expand the tournament to all 350+ member schools or whatever as a one time thing.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
No idea if KState is supposed to be any good but Drake leading them is still pretty big for them, especially after losing their best player to Minnesota as a transfer. Darian DeVries is a really good coach, think he can win the Valley at some point in the next couple years.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/JFergusonAU/status/1331624686170624003

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Chanting "N-B-L" in my living room

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

elentar posted:

not a chance in hell, that's their meal ticket

Yeah, if anything they'll expand it this year with a sixteen team play-in round our something.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Let me count all the times that working with the NCAA translated into a quick, positive outcome.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

MourningView posted:

No idea if KState is supposed to be any good but Drake leading them is still pretty big for them, especially after losing their best player to Minnesota as a transfer. Darian DeVries is a really good coach, think he can win the Valley at some point in the next couple years.

I mean, the correct conclusion to make regardless is, "Bruce Weber is a fraud."

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Cuonzo Martin talking about trying to push pace and I guess that means we're gonna see 65 points games instead of 60 point games for the Tigers

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNet/status/1331747603738976258

He did stuff like this all night. It's going to be a long season once the conference slate starts, but it's going to be fun watching him against undersized teams like this, and next year is going to be awesome. No seniors, this year's freshman look ok, next year's class might be Painter's best.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/RutgersOnBTN/status/1331768720880926720

Gonna be fun listening announcers try to pronounce "Omoruyi" all season.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

PotatoJudge posted:

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNet/status/1331747603738976258

He did stuff like this all night. It's going to be a long season once the conference slate starts, but it's going to be fun watching him against undersized teams like this, and next year is going to be awesome. No seniors, this year's freshman look ok, next year's class might be Painter's best.

...Are they playing in a high school gym? :psyduck:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jagged Jim posted:

Have you never seen the early season tournaments? They’re all in venues like that. I recall seeing one years ago that was being broadcast from a military base’s gym that didn’t have bleachers period.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Jagged Jim posted:

Eastern Florida State College, a JuCo. They're in a tournament and will get the winner of Mississippi St and Clemson.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

auburn does not want the ncaa poking around any longer than they have to, especially if it might leak into other sports

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
iowa beat some chump by like a million, defense still stinks, garza is still College Shaq, and fran's other kid looks like he's pretty good now that he doesn't have mono and weighs more than 170 pounds

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Georgia State-Georgia Tech is still in progress.

Georgia Tech has zero defense in the paint and are currently losing by 6 after a little rally.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

MourningView posted:

iowa beat some chump by like a million, defense still stinks, garza is still College Shaq, and fran's other kid looks like he's pretty good now that he doesn't have mono and weighs more than 170 pounds

You must be pretty stoked to get one more year with Garza. This is your best chance to win a title since...ever?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i can't think of anything more superfluous or unnecessary this year than northwestern basketball, please just stop and give every big ten team 1 win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

hobbesmaster posted:

Have you never seen the early season tournaments? They’re all in venues like that. I recall seeing one years ago that was being broadcast from a military base’s gym that didn’t have bleachers period.

or that one that was in a ballroom with chandeliers and poo poo