Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

In the 90s I was reassured that ignoring global warming would not affect me in my lifetime. This whole planet on fire is cramping my lifestyle plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1331698780073320449?s=20

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

infernal machines posted:

it is, i think, possible for not every single cspam thread to degenerate into hyperbolic doomer screaming

And yet ...

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Katt posted:

In the 90s I was reassured that ignoring global warming would not affect me in my lifetime. This whole planet on fire is cramping my lifestyle plans.

Humanity has been denying the negative effects of industrialization since literally the start of the Industrial Age. It isn’t starting now, or starting earlier than we expected. It’s just a new symptom to an already existing and irreversible disease.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mrmcd posted:

And yet ...

cursed by my own hubris

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
reading prager u while suffering from covid after calling it fake. dude is a true blue chud

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

:discourse:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.inverse.com/innovation/spacex-mars-city-werner-herzog

quote:

"I think Elon Musk stylizes himself as some sort of a technological visionary," Herzog says. "Because he has to sell his electric cars, wonderful that he does that. He has to sell his reusable rockets. Wonderful that he's doing it."

"But I disagree with him when he postulates and preaches about colonizing Mars," Herzog says.

"And I have to tell not only Elon Musk, but everyone. And so I say it as straightforward as it can be... it is an obscenity. The thought alone is an obscenity."

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

quote:

"I think Elon Musk stylizes himself as some sort of a technological visionary," Herzog says. "Because he has to sell his electric cars, wonderful that he does that. He has to sell his reusable rockets. Wonderful that he's doing it."

"But I disagree with him when he postulates and preaches about colonizing Mars," Herzog says.

"And I have to tell not only Elon Musk, but everyone. And so I say it as straightforward as it can be... it is an obscenity. The thought alone is an obscenity."

"However," he added, "I do love the car."

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Looking forward to the Musk 2024 campaign, our first WeedlordBonerHitler420 president.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheEpicDept/status/1331780319024967680?s=19

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

My hate is pure.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/Scobleizer/status/1331768622960635906

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I... is this because his death shone a light on the danger of Musk and bullshit peddling?

Or is he implying that Huang was a pioneer who sacrificed his life to make the algorithm better.

I mean I hope it's the first one, but my cynicism says it's the second.

Either way its still a lovely sentiment, just one is less lovely than the other.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

It is extremely the second lol

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

they believe all of their commutes are being uploaded to feed a self driving neural network

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

https://twitter.com/Scobleizer/status/1331781512153374720?s=20

jesus loving christ

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Every post worse than the last

https://twitter.com/Scobleizer/status/1331839580966797313

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

infernal machines posted:

it is, i think, possible for not every single cspam thread to degenerate into hyperbolic doomer screaming

show me one example of hyperbole in cspam. ill wait.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

fart simpson posted:

show me one example of hyperbole in cspam. ill wait.

ah the paradox

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
yeah his loving dead but this is how if statements could be generatedf

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I mean, whether Musk or some other company made a successful self-driving car, that was always the plan, right?

The cars would drive, they would crash, software engineers would fix what went wrong, and the AI would improve.

The very idea of a self-driving car is built on the blood of drivers and bystanders.

It's dark, creepy and callous, but if twenty or thirty years from now accidents have been cut by 99% because no one manually drives any more, maybe it's worth it?

Charlz Guybon has issued a correction as of 09:25 on Nov 26, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Tesla algorithms have literally never been updated in response to crash telemetry from in the field

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Not gonna lie, it's honestly kind of viscerally repulsive that someone is willing to risk their family - children even!* - like this. Like jesus loving christ, it would only take the algorithm spazzing out for a single second to kill them all. What is wrong with these people?

* you can see them when he turns the camera near the end of the video

Charlz Guybon posted:

I mean, whether Musk or some other company made a successful self-driving car, that was always the plan, right?

The cars would drive, they would crash, software engineers would fix what went wrong, and the AI would improve.

The very idea of a self-driving car is built on the blood of drivers and bystanders.

It's dark, creepy and callous, but if twenty or thirty years from now accidents have been cut by 99% because no one manually drives any more, maybe it's worth it?

We aren't even close to the point where it makes sense to let normal people use self-driving cars, and many of the problems that need to be solved are already known and won't be fixed by just gathering a bunch of data.

It's a worthwhile avenue of research, but I don't even remotely trust what most of the companies connected to it say in terms of time estimates, etc (since self-driving technology has a huge "investor storytime" element to it).

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 09:58 on Nov 26, 2020

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

fyi: economics, finance, and the stock market are all fake

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

AI become an advertising buzzword really did kill a bunch of people. my favorite part of that video is him introducing his family at the end.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Well at least grimes got a $90k grant to help fund her art. Lord knows she needs it.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

:shepspends: posted:

After this accident my car got dramatically better.

The car's bloodlust was sated... for a time.

Seriously, I don't know how anyone could be comfortable letting one of those things drive itself at that speed. If something went wrong you'd have no time to react.

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

its not worth it. normalizing the slow walk through a sea of blood just to nominally increase an expression of efficiency (which is what self driving cars are, or even the mass adoption of personal vehicles are at large) is in fact psycho poo poo.

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

oh those pyramids i made out of the bodies of people i murdered? yeah maybes its "dark" and stuff but as you can see i used less and less bodies as i went up, so thats an achievement that deserves some merit dont you think?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
It's a moot point because it's a scam product that does not actually do what's on the label, and there's no AI being adjusted in response to incidents

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Still kills me that public transportation infrastructure is the clear answer but Musk will never admit that because he doesn't wanna risk brushing against a filthy poor.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

This is precisely the fact that you will need to become at peace with if you want to love the car.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Proteus Jones posted:

I... is this because his death shone a light on the danger of Musk and bullshit peddling?

Or is he implying that Huang was a pioneer who sacrificed his life to make the algorithm better.

I mean I hope it's the first one, but my cynicism says it's the second.

Either way its still a lovely sentiment, just one is less lovely than the other.

https://twitter.com/Scobleizer/status/1331768921356083200?s=20

lol "this one point was fixed, no flaws no, i trust it 100%"

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Listen a bunch of minorities died while making the railroads work and now it's merely just time to have history repeat itself and have a bunch of minorities sacrificed to make the ai for the "Self" "driving" "Car" "safer"

I'm sure the guys' last words were "still love the car tho"

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Karl Sharks posted:

https://twitter.com/Scobleizer/status/1331768921356083200?s=20

lol "this one point was fixed, no flaws no, i trust it 100%"

Gotta say, this man has nerves of steel. And one day, he will have steel going through his nerves still loving the car

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Hey that man bravely died so self driving AI can take driving jobs from millions, and help crush many more with the heavy hand of poverty so that Elon Musk can be richer. Can you not imagine a higher ideal to die for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Charlz Guybon posted:

Every major automaker has a proving grounds where they run their vehicles through the wringer so they don't release something that kills people. You test this poo poo out in the lab first, and you don't release it until it's safe. No other automaker has claims of autonomous driving - wonder why? It's because they think they're still beholden to law.

it's extremely hosed up that Tesla, the "largest automaker" and Musk, the "second richest man on the planet" views their customers as lab rats and the planet their laboratory, and equally hosed that their customers are in on it.

The end goal of pioneering this tech is getting from point A to point B while jacking off. It's not loving space travel.