Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Gripweed posted:

I feel like this is gonna be something that even people who aren't fans of Chapo Trap House should get on. HW Bush was a super central figure in 20th Century America and most people just think of him as Dana Carvey from SNL

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1327026975781871620?s=20

Where do I find this? Is it just gonna be in the normal Chapo feed and isn't out yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
It's in the premium feed. You could search for the chapo black wolf rss you aren't a patreon, although it hasn't made it there yet.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Human Tornada posted:

It's in the premium feed. You could search for the chapo black wolf rss you aren't a patreon, although it hasn't made it there yet.

Thanks. I'll probably just grab it from the pirate feed. Used to be a patron but fell off listening since there's enough poo poo going on here to want to listen to a pod on American politics too. This sounds interesting though.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

It's happening.gif

Supernova part 5 just dropped

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

evilpicard posted:

It's happening.gif

Already? It's barely been 5 months.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

evilpicard posted:

It's happening.gif

I didn't know it went past part 2, you have made my week

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

DrGonzo90 posted:

Already? It's barely been 5 months.

It's a short one this time only 3 hrs 33min

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

It's a short one this time only 3 hrs 33min

1.5 minutes per day.

Compares pretty well to, say, GRRM

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

All I want to know is if it’s the end.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

All I want to know is if it’s the end.

lol nope

Practically the first sentence, "...part 5 of at least a 6-part series..." :negative:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Imagined posted:

lol nope

Practically the first sentence, "...part 5 of at least a 6-part series..." :negative:

Well, I guess it's the waiting game for me then. That's fine.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

What's this Supernova thing that you all seem so excited about?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Dan Carlin's mega podcast about the war in the Pacific

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I listened to it and I dunno, this one was almost entirely focused on his "the Japanese are just like everyone else, only more so" tangents.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

It's a history podcast, except more so.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Is there a thread for talking about Lions Led By Donkeys? The latest episode was something.
https://twitter.com/lions_by/status/1330928255877038080
Joe Kassabian has real strong GiP energy. It wouldn't surprise me if he's from 'round these parts.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I tried to listen to marc maron's podcast this week for the first time in forever, because he was going to interview Michael J fox.
He was complaining in his opening monologue that people accuse him of monetizing the death of his partner.
And while I choked up a bit, hearing this teary eyed man argue the absurdity of such a claim, he seamlessly slipped into a commercial for a home security system.

I've enjoyed listening to the fault line, about the way bush/blair tricked the world into their Iraq invasion.
I'll give that Lions led by donkeys a try, sounds interesting.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

mrfart posted:

I tried to listen to marc maron's podcast this week for the first time in forever, because he was going to interview Michael J fox.
He was complaining in his opening monologue that people accuse him of monetizing the death of his partner.
And while I choked up a bit, hearing this teary eyed man argue the absurdity of such a claim, he seamlessly slipped into a commercial for a home security system.

haha, I've always been amazed at his efortless transitioning to commercials. good to see he's still got it. rip his partner.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

B33rChiller posted:

Is there a thread for talking about Lions Led By Donkeys? The latest episode was something.
https://twitter.com/lions_by/status/1330928255877038080
Joe Kassabian has real strong GiP energy. It wouldn't surprise me if he's from 'round these parts.

OK, this was fun. Thanks.

The host reminds me a bit of robert evans. He mentions BtB at some point, so I'm guessing he's a big fan and/or friend.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

busalover posted:

haha, I've always been amazed at his efortless transitioning to commercials. good to see he's still got it. rip his partner.

He was excellent in Glow. Not a fan of his stand up, I saw him a decade ago and then watched his new Netflix special, still using many of the same bits.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I just listened to a 4-part series on the Hell's Angels by the Cult Podcast https://www.cultpodcastshow.com/, can recommend. It's three comedians, two women one guy, one of the women tells the story Dave Anthony-style, while the other two chip in with jokes. That being said sadly the two comedians are not on the level of The Dollop's Gareth, especially the dude is dumb as gently caress, pardon my french. Also not funny. Actually the one funny person is the woman who reads it all, the second woman barely says anything, at least in the four episodes I listened to. Anyway, give it a try, the info is solid, and sometimes there's a chuckle.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Whoever it was that recommended Oh No Ross and Carrie, thank you! They have such great chemistry and the subjects are often interesting and hilarious.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

busalover posted:

I just listened to a 4-part series on the Hell's Angels by the Cult Podcast https://www.cultpodcastshow.com/, can recommend. It's three comedians, two women one guy, one of the women tells the story Dave Anthony-style, while the other two chip in with jokes. That being said sadly the two comedians are not on the level of The Dollop's Gareth, especially the dude is dumb as gently caress, pardon my french. Also not funny. Actually the one funny person is the woman who reads it all, the second woman barely says anything, at least in the four episodes I listened to. Anyway, give it a try, the info is solid, and sometimes there's a chuckle.

You kinda had me at first but then kinda drove the recommendation plane into the tarmac midway through there.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Red_Fred posted:

Whoever it was that recommended Oh No Ross and Carrie, thank you! They have such great chemistry and the subjects are often interesting and hilarious.

They’re excellent, I like how their default attitude is open mindedness and while they maintain credulity they don’t go for the low hanging fruit and try to make fun of every odd idea. I liked when they were at a UFO convention and took the time to explain what the various presenters were talking about.

I haven’t listened to every ep but the only one I recall them really mocking a group were the 9/11 conspiracy guys as they were so rude to Carrie.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

If anyone is/was a fan of ur-podcast The Bugle but (understandably) stopped listening regularly when John Oliver left you’ll be happy to hear he appears in the latest episode and it’s lovely.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I love Andy even without John but I had to stop listening regularly just because my sanity can't often take large quantities of news even in satirical form these days. :smith:

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
For In the Dark fans! https://twitter.com/60minutes/status/1344656136146997249?s=21

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

busalover posted:

I started listening to this and quite enjoy it though their running gag of making air horn noises with their mouths is somewhat annoying, especially since from what I can tell both women are in their 30s.

It’s really a matter of whether you gel with their goofball sense of humor. I started with the Flordelis dos Santos episodes and lmaoed at the dumb as hell “Jesus Crab” running gag throughout.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 4, 2021

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I don't know if there is a better thread for talking about podcasts apps, but I'll start here:

I used to subscribe to We Hate Movies on Patreon, stopped in June 2019.

I recently re-upped, and when I put the RSS feed into Pocketcasts (on Android) it shows nothing since June 2019, as well as only showing content from my previous, LOWER patreon level.

I've cleared the cache, tried refreshing, checked there aren't any weird filters, but it will not show anything past June 2019.

Emailed Pocketcasts support, still waiting for a reply, just not sure if any Goons have experienced something like this?

And the same RSS feed works fine in another podcast app, showing all recent content.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Have been binging lions led by donkeys the last weeks. It’s pretty good most of the time. Having a hard time finding something else worth listening, though. The apology line is interesting, a least it diverges a bit from typical crime podcasts. But I’m wondering what goons are listening to these days.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

mrfart posted:

Have been binging lions led by donkeys the last weeks. It’s pretty good most of the time. Having a hard time finding something else worth listening, though. The apology line is interesting, a least it diverges a bit from typical crime podcasts. But I’m wondering what goons are listening to these days.

What else do you listen to/like in general? The closest analog to LLbD I can think of off the top of my head is When Diplomacy Fails, which is kinda like LLbD but better researched and more in depth (no disrespect to the Old Crows)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Not really in the vein of those podcasts at all but after hearing an ad for it in another podcast I started binging Everyone's a Critic, and it owns real hard. A couple basically reads and riffs on user reviews for things, typically big chain stuff like Yelp for Applebees and poo poo but they also do way more unexpected stuff like 'oh poo poo this mountain has a Yelp page and people are whining about having to hike up a mountain this owns' and have good bits and all sprinkled in that's mainly just them loving around with each other. It's an incredibly light listen and quite entertaining.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

mrfart posted:

Behind the Bastards I've spent the pandemic catching up through the archives and it's always pretty enjoyable. I don't care for every guest, but I see them as a necessary evil. Some of them are very good and funny though.

Aside from that I listen to my trio of Zoology podcasts: The Wild Episode, whose host I'm pretty sure should inherit Attenborough's throne. His voice is perfect, his interest tangible, and he really does great legwork in researching the research. Strange Animals Podcast which isn't anywhere near as good, but the host is so quirky and charming, she's like talking to an overly enthusiastic 5th grader and I love it. The Common Descent Podcast I don't listen to every episode, since they focus a lot on paleontology but there's great episodes in there and the two hosts are both full-blown researchers and really great at explaining things.

I personally wouldn't mind another language podcast aside from Lexicon Valley, which is good, but somehow also very formulaic. I like McWhorter but I did like the chemistry between the two former hosts. Seems like he's leaving the job this year so I'm curious what they'll do with it. I'd love something like that but that focuses on Spanish or French, it can be in those languages too.

Anyway, I listen to all of this as I wait for the big history podcasts to release updates or before I binge full seasons (like Revolutions, The Fall of Civilizations, The History of English Podcast).

I think my biggest disappointment recently was "Don't Ask Tig". I think Tig Notaro is super funny, but her guests are less so, but worst of all it's a lot of First-World Problems where the solution is "Be Rich and Privileged" and it's annoying.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Behind the Bastards I've spent the pandemic catching up through the archives and it's always pretty enjoyable. I don't care for every guest, but I see them as a necessary evil. Some of them are very good and funny though.

Aside from that I listen to my trio of Zoology podcasts: The Wild Episode, whose host I'm pretty sure should inherit Attenborough's throne. His voice is perfect, his interest tangible, and he really does great legwork in researching the research. Strange Animals Podcast which isn't anywhere near as good, but the host is so quirky and charming, she's like talking to an overly enthusiastic 5th grader and I love it. The Common Descent Podcast I don't listen to every episode, since they focus a lot on paleontology but there's great episodes in there and the two hosts are both full-blown researchers and really great at explaining things.

I personally wouldn't mind another language podcast aside from Lexicon Valley, which is good, but somehow also very formulaic. I like McWhorter but I did like the chemistry between the two former hosts. Seems like he's leaving the job this year so I'm curious what they'll do with it. I'd love something like that but that focuses on Spanish or French, it can be in those languages too.

Anyway, I listen to all of this as I wait for the big history podcasts to release updates or before I binge full seasons (like Revolutions, The Fall of Civilizations, The History of English Podcast).

I think my biggest disappointment recently was "Don't Ask Tig". I think Tig Notaro is super funny, but her guests are less so, but worst of all it's a lot of First-World Problems where the solution is "Be Rich and Privileged" and it's annoying.

Thanks.
I listened to BtB from the beginning. And as good as it is, and still is, sometimes I need a break from it and can't listen to it for like a month.

Similar with the Dollop. But with the Dollop I haven't listened in like half a year. I don't know why i can't get myself to listen to it anymore.

The wild episode is usually very good. Although I never listen to it during the day because it might put me to sleep, but in a good way. Something about the mellow voice of that guy, I guess.

sexpig by night posted:

Not really in the vein of those podcasts at all but after hearing an ad for it in another podcast I started binging Everyone's a Critic, and it owns real hard. A couple basically reads and riffs on user reviews for things, typically big chain stuff like Yelp for Applebees and poo poo but they also do way more unexpected stuff like 'oh poo poo this mountain has a Yelp page and people are whining about having to hike up a mountain this owns' and have good bits and all sprinkled in that's mainly just them loving around with each other. It's an incredibly light listen and quite entertaining.

I'll give that a go, thanks.

WEH posted:

What else do you listen to/like in general? The closest analog to LLbD I can think of off the top of my head is When Diplomacy Fails, which is kinda like LLbD but better researched and more in depth (no disrespect to the Old Crows)

Sounds good.

some stuff I listen to (but like I said above, sometimes I stop listening to some of them for long stretches of time):

99%, bad people, the guardian long read, criminal, darknet diaries, dead eyes, get rich nick, gossip mongers (that ended abruptly?), secretly incredibly fascinating, timesuck, twenty thousand hertz, What a time (got tiresome during the lock down, not really their fault), recall: how to start a revolution, conan needs a friend (Conan is a pro, but the obligatory sucking each other off gets tiresome).

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Some podcasting stats

quote:

Nearly every major media and entertainment company is pouring lots of cash into launching new podcasts. But many of them aren't making big money — at least not yet.

Why it matters: As is the case with most new technologies, when it comes to podcasts, consumer adoption has outpaced monetization.

Only a few big players make meaningful revenue from podcasts today, but that's expected to change as the industry matures.

Details: While many big companies and independent creators are trying to get in on the podcast action, most aren't seeing much traction. The top 1% of podcasts receive 99% of downloads.

https://www.axios.com/podcast-business-booming-few-making-money-d560010b-538f-472f-bf9d-3ea8deb97488.html

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

quote:

I personally wouldn't mind another language podcast aside from Lexicon Valley, which is good, but somehow also very formulaic.

En Clair is good

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The folks behind I am in Eskew have come out with The Silt Verses and it's interesting so far. My only complaint is that the voice volume is ridiculously low, so much so that I've had to turn on Pocketcasts' voice booster for the first time ever.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

evilpicard posted:

En Clair is good

This is good! A shame that it seems have abruptly stopped at the end of 2019 though.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Second season is allegedly in the works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I went to Lancaster University, loved the city so much I stayed and it's great when En Clair gets a mention in the wild. I do a sport with a member of the Linguistics department and they're extremely lovely so the podcast getting listeners makes me happy. The university is going through some things with Covid atm but hopefully it'll be back before too long.