Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

Lol the Star Wars Legacy comics have Luke's ghost come and tell his great great grandson to stop doing drugs.

I did think that the Fel Empire was a pretty neat idea as a successor state to the Imperial Remnant.

I liked the bit where Anakin's ghost turns up as well to dispense advice, and when his great-great-grandson keeps being a whiny little poo poo, Anakin transforms into Vader and beats him up instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Lol the Star Wars Legacy comics have Luke's ghost come and tell his great great grandson to stop doing drugs.

I did think that the Fel Empire was a pretty neat idea as a successor state to the Imperial Remnant.

Tell me more about this Soontir Fel Empire

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
The books were all over the place but New Jedi Order as storyline and concept was cool as heck. The Vong were scary in a way that the 30th splinter faction of the Empire or whatever couldn't quite pull off

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Vong would've been cooler if they had actively rejected the Force.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

McSpanky posted:

The Vong would've been cooler if they had actively rejected the Force because Kreia made them

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Tell me more about this Soontir Fel Empire

They had cool looking royal guards who weren’t really Jedi or Sith or bullshit grey Jedi, just force-sensitives who used white lightsabers and wore cool armor.

Also the emperor was a descendant of legendary dipshit and horrible name owner Jagged Fel. And technically Jaina too, which is probably the only reason why the new emperor was actually semi-competent.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

teagone posted:

I'm not ready for Friday's episode. I briefly saw a tweet linking an article that allegedly shows how Rosario Dawson looks as Ahsoka and I closed my browser so fast lmao.

It's someone's fan art from like 2 years ago, article is clickbait.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They had cool looking royal guards who weren’t really Jedi or Sith or bullshit grey Jedi, just force-sensitives who used white lightsabers and wore cool armor.

Also the emperor was a descendant of legendary dipshit and horrible name owner Jagged Fel. And technically Jaina too, which is probably the only reason why the new emperor was actually semi-competent.

If nothing else, I liked that that made him a Solo, Skywalker, Fel and Antilles.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do like that Din gets along with people and cultures who have values and mannerisms similar to his own; the Sand People keep their faces masked and value nonverbal communication, the Jawas are highly practical and also masked; Baby Yoda is outright nonverbal. Seems likely that given a description of traditional Jedi culture and ideals he'll note some very familiar things.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

the Jawas are highly practical and also masked;

You uh, remember what happened between him and the Jawas, right?

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You uh, remember what happened between him and the Jawas, right?

I think he got his point across without any verbal communication. :hmmyes:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

“UTINI!!!” Is verbal communication.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/pedropascal1/status/1331873323622551558?s=21

Pedro is all of our dad’s now, he has become the most dad.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

There's been some really great fan art.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Now that I realize the Clone Wars cartoon is actually good once you learn which episodes to skip, my forehead is gonna explode if 3 AM doesn't hurry up and get here.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The Vong were cool only because they killed chewie with a moon. which is honestly the only non disappointing way for him to go out.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Cage Kicker posted:

The books were all over the place but New Jedi Order as storyline and concept was cool as heck. The Vong were scary in a way that the 30th splinter faction of the Empire or whatever couldn't quite pull off

I dunno, those books seemed to put me in the wrong headspace for Star Wars, they were just too dark and edgy in kind of a ridiculous way. Evil alien race that worships sadism and masochism, comes to world after world killing billions and enslaving the rest to work in their pain factories, tortures the poo poo out of a bunch of main characters (that you get to read about from a first person perspective a lot of the time!), and they just score victory after awful victory for the first dozen books in the series. It's like they sat down around a table and workshopped just how gruesome and war crimey they could get away with in a series marketed at young adults. It just didn't feel quite like Star Wars.

(And years later I was shocked to hear about what ended up happening to Jacen, who I thought was going to be a Yoda-type character going forward.)

That being said, yeah, they were a really cool concept even though the execution was all over the place.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 26, 2020

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Sadly, the whole "The Vong worship pain" thing was the result of miscommunication between authors. That particular aspect was supposed to be the "gimmick" of the vanguard/scouting wave from Vector Prime - the whole culture did the biomechanical body mods thing, but only the Praetorite Vong were supposed to be getting off on the pain and such. Unfortunately, that didn't get communicated properly to all the other authors, so it just became a species trait

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I remember there was a POV character that was a Vong leader who really got off on it, like he was always torturing himself just for the sheer pleasure -- he hooked himself into what I pictured as a big piece of fleshy gym equipment with resistance bands except that the bands were stretching him apart, and he was really feeling it, pulling back on the bands so they'd hurt him even harder.

And then I think there was an offhand comment at some point about how only that particular branch of the Vong was really into the whole masochism thing, the rest of the Vongs just regular liked hurting people and accepted a lot of self-torture in their day-to-day lives. And it didn't help much.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

There wasn't a single thing about the Vong that was even remotely interesting

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Vong felt kind of like a grimdark version of the Ssri-ruk or whatever from truce at bacura(?). They steal your life essence to power their stuff and use a stolen kid as a spokesman. Somehow vong are worse.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TK-42-1 posted:

Vong felt kind of like a grimdark version of the Ssri-ruk or whatever from truce at bacura(?). They steal your life essence to power their stuff and use a stolen kid as a spokesman. Somehow vong are worse.

I think there was a book where the Vong, the Chiss from Thrawn's empire and the Space Dinosaurs had a three way war and then the slave caste velociraptors had a revolution.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think there was a book where the Vong, the Chiss from Thrawn's empire and the Space Dinosaurs had a three way war and then the slave caste velociraptors had a revolution.

Did a 10 year old write it?

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

The stuff with their weird bio-technology and body modding and and gravity manipulation and no-Force-ness was all super cool and interesting and more than enough to establish the Vong as an existential threat the galaxy. It just sucked that they felt the need to muck it all up with Hellraiser S&M pain worship bullshit to make them scarier instead of just allowing the Dropping A Moon On Chewie to speak for itself.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm really glad I gave up on EU stuff super early (I read the original Thrawn stuff and whatever one the sex lizard dude showed up in) because it all turned out to be 90s bullshit and from what I've read the Vong were peak "gently caress you dad" 'this isn't your parent's star wars' shlock.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

pik_d posted:

Did a 10 year old write it?

"Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic II: Refugee." Written by Sean Williams and Shane Dix.

May or may not have been inspired by the Jedi Knight series' naming convention.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
I had a real soft spot for Nom Anor. I loved in his culture of S&M samurai warriors, where pain and death are the goals, he was basically a sniveling self serving “coward” that wanted nothing to do with that insanity if he could avoid it. He was so much more interesting than pretty much every other Vong character.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
To the EU’s credit, they actually did manage to create a bunch of memorable and interesting new characters and the novels themselves were never really afraid to get weird and try new poo poo in the SW setting. They just weren’t usually that good and they often squandered those interesting characters by fridging them in stupid ways just to artificially raise the stakes.

Disney was right to retcon the old EU away for many reasons, but I do wish the new EU had even a smidge of the old’s weirdness just to keep things fresh. Right now most of the novels are just there to add backstory or flavor to existing movies/shows and they’re boring as hell.

The new comics have a much better hit:miss ratio though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The comics have always been some of the best EU. The Dark Horse run was vast and a lot of it is excellent. John Jackson Miller's KOTOR comics were great and Kevin J. Anderson's Tales of the Jedi is fantastically weird and works where his novels don't.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Historically SW comics, be they Marvel or Dark Horse always seem to tend pretty strong, and perhaps that's not a coincidence, the setting seems to suit the medium. I've enjoyed a lot of DH's Old Republic stuff, and it's quite right a lot of Open Seasons stuff made it to the Filoni-verse. And now there's great stuff like the Vader comics and now I want Aphra to jump to the screen. Unless they decide she doesn't survive that long there's no reason she wouldn't cross paths with Mando.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

In a lot of ways I wish we never saw any established characters in mando. It just makes the galaxy of quadrillions of people seem small. That being said it’s still pretty cool and doesn’t ruin it like it normally does. Probably because it’s actually plot relevant and he’s looking for these people rather than them just popping up.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I always had a soft spot for crimson empire. A mini series on Disney plus loosely based on that would also be dope.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

EU was almost entirely really stupid. But it was gloriously stupid, so had a certain charm to it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TK-42-1 posted:

In a lot of ways I wish we never saw any established characters in mando. It just makes the galaxy of quadrillions of people seem small. That being said it’s still pretty cool and doesn’t ruin it like it normally does. Probably because it’s actually plot relevant and he’s looking for these people rather than them just popping up.

Yeah I think they've handled it very well- I doubt we will see many of the 'big names' ever show up (even Chewbacca) from the original series, so in a way keeping it to characters from books and the cartoons fits things a bit better. These are characters that are important to the big picture continuity, but are new to a poo poo-ton of people.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I want more Hutts. Hutts control this huge rear end area of the galaxy and we only ever see like 2?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The comics have always been some of the best EU. The Dark Horse run was vast and a lot of it is excellent. John Jackson Miller's KOTOR comics were great and Kevin J. Anderson's Tales of the Jedi is fantastically weird and works where his novels don't.

Those KOTOR comics with Zayne & Co are some of my favorite Star Wars stories ever. I was a huge Dark Horse SW fan and read just about everything, but those comics were a league above the rest. I’d highly recommend tracking them down.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I’d be okay if Artoo and/or Threepio showed up.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

banned from Starbucks posted:

I want more Hutts. Hutts control this huge rear end area of the galaxy and we only ever see like 2?

Give me more Truman Capote Ziro the Hutt and Big Mama or give me death.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also I should add that I don’t mean to poo poo on anybody’s enjoyment of the EU- we all have things that we like that other people don’t (Jesus Christ don’t get me started on how much I love Ultraman and it’s related series’ more than is probably healthy) and I don’t want anybody to take it like I was saying that they are dumb for liking something I don’t necessarily gel with it :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’d like a hutt played by Diego Luna