Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Welcome to the new GWS General Chat thread!

Go ahead and chat!

Also, here's the GWS Discord: https://discord.gg/qe7py3huFX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

food is good

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I made fideo tonight. It's good. I did this because tomorrow I'm making pumpkin spice martinis, and they will probably not be good.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Flunky posted:

food is good

hosed up if true

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I'm going to need a link to the foodlab article for proof

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Im making a Thanksgiving for two tomorrow. Im glad my wife will be there to join me as she normally is working. Happy turkey day to those who celebrate it

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

my stuffing balls, they are crusty

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Flunky posted:

food is good

Starting the thread with a hot take

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I don't comment in this thread much but I felt you should all know that i'm coating tomorrow's turkey in bacon fat because I can. I assume it'll be like coating a chicken in butter to get crispy golden skin and moist meat and if it's not it's still going to be delicious.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

🆖

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Guildenstern Mother posted:

My husband just told me he likes stovetop stuffing more than homemade. Should I just oversalt this year's batch or just jump out the window?

My wife once told me she preferred shop bought salsa to to my homemade.

Unfortunately, this was about ten years in and two kids in, so it was too late for me to do anything about it.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
made my chocolate pumpkin pie tonight

Only registered members can see post attachments!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Eat This Glob posted:

Im making a Thanksgiving for two tomorrow.

same

I just spent the whole day buying Thanksgiving groceries and doing prep work for the turkey and dressing I gotta make tomorrow, and I’m loving exhausted

and I STILL have to finish typing up an ICSA thread. which at this rate probably won’t be done until Black Friday because I loving suck just that much :shepface:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Original plan was for the boyfriend to come get me, and I help make thanksgiving for him and his mum and sister. His parents divorced a couple of years back, and things have been weird with holidays.

He called me Monday afternoon and told me that he might have gotten exposed to covid, so he’s gonna have to cancel everything. Ok. For the first time in my life, I’m spending today alone. Rather than feeling a sense of loss or whatever, I’m low-key loving it. Usually by last night, I'd be at a friend's house, because I've been either hosting it myself, or helping a friend to host it all this time. Personally if I'm hosting, I'll knock up a few dishes that I know are crowd pleasers, and order plenty of wine, and then relax the rest of the day. Whenever I'm with friends, I'll do something similar, depending on the level of fucks I have that year. Last night, I got into bed at 11~ish (which is kind of late, to be honest), but still way earlier than I'd do so if I were visiting with a friend.

I hate pumpkin pie, so I made myself a cake on Monday. And, because it's just me, I'm not "saving" anything for when the actual meal itself happens. I ate through half that summbitch already. I love potatoes, but mashed is not as fun for me as baked. So I threw in a bunch of potatoes when I was baking the cake. Now I have a nice little hoard of baked potatoes. Score. I made a couple of other dishes that I can eat whenever I feel like. (In general, I dislike having a big meal all at once. I prefer to graze all day.)

I've got good eats on the TV, and I'm having a good time.

Update on the boyfriend. The person who he thought was exposed to covid came up negative, but he's being cautious until he gets tested as well after the holiday weekend.

dino. fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 26, 2020

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Down with mods, up with Cincinatti Chili.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The baking is still going strong here.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
This year instead of feeding 29 I’m cooking for 4, so I said screw it, I’ll smoke a pork loin. Turkey will happen in December when it’s cheap again and I can feed an army with leftovers. Pics to follow. Stay safe, turkey goons (and the rest of you jerks as well).

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I’m going to be spending thanksgiving with my wife so it should be nice. To be honest I’m gonna be pretty lazy with the food this year, having to consolidate shopping trips has kind of reduced my drive to do something like thanksgiving in a “proper” way. But a basic and easy thanksgiving sounds kind of nice right now, since I’ve got Friday off too so I’m just going to relax a bit from cooking since I’ve been doing so much of it.

This won’t be the loneliest thanksgiving for me at least. When I was in grad school my experiment would take proton beam delivery on off hours, so roughly 6pm to 6am, and all day weekends. I’d do night shift midnight to 8 watching the data come in and tending the fires. We also ran over thanksgiving so I took the midnight-8 shift on Thanksgiving. So I made some vegetarian shepherds pie and my thanksgiving meal was just me and my shiftmate in the counting house watching number slowly go up. Not particularly festive, but the pie was nice.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wanted to do turkey parts, ended up with a 20lb frozen turkey bring dropped on me on Tuesday instead. I somehow got the thing defrosted and in the oven by this morning, but gently caress me people there's a reason to get a frozen turkey way ahead of time, don't saddle me with this poo poo.

There's not even anyone coming over, it's plague times, this is crazy

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm really looking forward to today. Mrs. BrianBoitano and I have hosted 4-8 people every year, and we did the full spread. This year, we’re in a new apartment, new city, new baby, and doing all that was never going to be feasible.

My parents are too elderly to fly and live too far away to drive, and her parents are with her sister. We are lucky that we have aunts and uncles in town, one set from wife's mothers side and one from her dad's. To limit exposure all around, we're spending it with the aunt and uncle set who have no other guests.

This will be the very first outside human contact we've had in 2 1/2 months, AND we don't have to cook the whole meal + desserts. We're still baking thyme pull-apart rolls and an apple galette, and I juiced apples for a honeycrisp rum shake, so not entirely missing out on the kitchen traditions.

Happy t'giving y'all!

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
[edited for being depressing]
Ah I haven't eaten for 30 hours +, that really isn't good. Just so busy but i have 5 hours before work starts so I guess I better get started planning something to eat.

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 26, 2020

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
excellent bird guy came back, it's a thanksgiving miracle

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

prayer group posted:

excellent bird guy came back, it's a thanksgiving miracle

Hah that account want meant to be a one off, I didn't intend for it to be my main account.
Anyway I had 2 subways for Thanksgiving, so happy. All the grocery stores were CLOSED

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't post here as much as I should. You cats are alright.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hey all, the circus is in town! There's a travelling thread looking for cool things goons make, so let's show them a bit of hospitality.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Mr. DnF's siblings and their girlfriends all live in town and we usually host, but decided last week that instead of having potluck at our place we'd do a food swap. I deboned a turkey and rubbed it with mayo and I highly fuckin recommend it. 90 minutes at 350 and it was perfect and juicy with crispy skin. I also did sourdough stuffing, and gravy with Hella Sage, and an apple cider cake, and Mr. DnF made crabcakes. Sibs made mashed potatoes, competing gravy, mezcal negronis, cheese gougeres, sage sablès, cranberry sauce, "meat bread", and a couple joints. Unfortunately for me I had like 7 mai tais last night and have a wicked hangover so I've barely eaten anything.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Drink and Fight posted:

mezcal negronis

All I want for Christmas is this spec :swoon:

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

All I want for Christmas is this spec :swoon:

I loving despise Campari so you can have mine.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Drink and Fight posted:

I loving despise Campari so you can have mine.

Um I haven't figured out how to buy it by the cask yet but if you can help me in this regard I'd appreciate it.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Mezcal negronis are so good! The 1-1-1 spec is an easy winner but i really like 1.5 mezcal, 1 black Spanish vermouth(Atxa or Casa Mariol), and 0.75 a milder bitter such as Montanaro Aperitivo. Split the vermouth with an oloroso sherry if you really wanna complicate things. I honestly think mezcal negronis are better than gin ones.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Manuel Calavera posted:

Down with mods, up with Cincinatti Chili.

I think the chili is just perfect. I love Cincinatti chili and I always start to want to make it all the time around this time of year.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Hey all, the circus is in town! .

It is?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

How Wonderful! posted:

I think the chili is just perfect. I love Cincinatti chili and I always start to want to make it all the time around this time of year.

Heck yeah sis. :3:
I haven't done any chili yet this year. It's getting to be that time though. But I have all these chicken thighs to use up. And also Italian sausages, and brats my mom gave me.
I may live alone and have an over/under freezer/fridge but I stock up well.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

prayer group posted:

Mezcal negronis are so good! The 1-1-1 spec is an easy winner but i really like 1.5 mezcal, 1 black Spanish vermouth(Atxa or Casa Mariol), and 0.75 a milder bitter such as Montanaro Aperitivo. Split the vermouth with an oloroso sherry if you really wanna complicate things. I honestly think mezcal negronis are better than gin ones.

I don't usually deviate from the 1:1:1 spec, but a few drops of Bittermens Xocolotl Mole bitters makes any mezcal negroni better. Chocolate bitters are nice too, but the touch of chili heat and spice profile of the mole bitters is top-notch. And, agreed mezcal negronis are better. I love all negronis, but something about smoke and agave lends itself so well to the formula; I haven't found a gin yet that can compete.

Mom and I drank manhattans all day yesterday while doing turkey things, and I experimented with my embarrassingly extensive bitters collection. Ango was of course the perfect baseline, and I liked it considerably more then Peychaud's. Chocolate and cardamom bitters were the best we tried, along with Bittercube's Trinity which is primarily cherry/almond in profile. Grapefruit failed to impress. Lavender was extremely floral and would probably appeal more to folks who actually like lavender.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

How Wonderful! posted:

Got a good recipe for Cincinnati Chili, always wanted to try it

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

good Cincinnati Chili

doesn't exist

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

drrockso20 posted:

Got a good recipe for Cincinnati Chili, always wanted to try it

The only version I've ever had is my mom's, which I used to ask for on my birthday every year and which she gave me the recipe to when I got married. I believe she picked up from working at a bunch of Cincinnati diners in her teens and twenties in the 70s. It's not really perfect food and I'm sure there are ways to improve it but this is, like, perfect comfort food to me and one of my main go-to things specifically for when I'm feeling homesick (also her zucchini pie and just pimento cheese or red beans and rice in general-- she bounced all around the Southeast and the Midwest before settling down). I feel proud that in grad school I was friends with two people who went to college in Cincinnati and were disgusted by Skyline but liked this.

I usually adapt this to be meatless. I also break the law big-time and often cook the beans in the chili instead of cooking them separately and putting them on top, but please never tell my mom that. This is very diner-y food, so just dump in a ton of spices and go for it if you don't like the numbers used here. I've cropped out my mom's name but otherwise will just present it as is including weird stains on the back that were there when she gave it to me.

Obviously it's kind of a love it or hate it thing but I hope you give it a try and enjoy it for what it is! Growing up we usually ate it over spaghetti with beans and extra diced onions on top, with oyster crackers and a little bit of cheddar (much less than I've seen on pictures of Skyline food), but it's also great on fries or eggs or over a hot dog if you like hot dogs or like a kielbasa or something, I certainly dumped a bunch of it on a veggie dog enough times when I was younger.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Woah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

How Wonderful! posted:

The only version I've ever had is my mom's, which I used to ask for on my birthday every year and which she gave me the recipe to when I got married. I believe she picked up from working at a bunch of Cincinnati diners in her teens and twenties in the 70s. It's not really perfect food and I'm sure there are ways to improve it but this is, like, perfect comfort food to me and one of my main go-to things specifically for when I'm feeling homesick (also her zucchini pie and just pimento cheese or red beans and rice in general-- she bounced all around the Southeast and the Midwest before settling down). I feel proud that in grad school I was friends with two people who went to college in Cincinnati and were disgusted by Skyline but liked this.

I usually adapt this to be meatless. I also break the law big-time and often cook the beans in the chili instead of cooking them separately and putting them on top, but please never tell my mom that. This is very diner-y food, so just dump in a ton of spices and go for it if you don't like the numbers used here. I've cropped out my mom's name but otherwise will just present it as is including weird stains on the back that were there when she gave it to me.

Obviously it's kind of a love it or hate it thing but I hope you give it a try and enjoy it for what it is! Growing up we usually ate it over spaghetti with beans and extra diced onions on top, with oyster crackers and a little bit of cheddar (much less than I've seen on pictures of Skyline food), but it's also great on fries or eggs or over a hot dog if you like hot dogs or like a kielbasa or something, I certainly dumped a bunch of it on a veggie dog enough times when I was younger.

This is a great story and I love the recipe cards :3
Thanks for sharing!