Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao the new season of unsleeping city is out and murph's new character is fantastic

(yes, that is a replica of the buster sword)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I’ll miss Kugrash but I knew a lot of Codys in high school

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
hey I know we haven't talked about Dropout in a bit but I finally pulled the trigger to subscribe and A) worth it, and B) I've been marathoning their Breaking News show, a short show where they have to play people reporting news with out ever seeing the scripts beforehand and I've literally been in tears laughing at multiple points. It's ostensibly a 'game' where whoever breaks most loses but it's just a beautiful trainwreck.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Also I know it's been mentioned in here (and probably more than once by me--last month maybe even?) but the Short Rest is so fuckin good. I almost like it better than the main show (except the main show is very good and the Short Rest wouldn't/couldn't exist without the main show!)

If you possibly have the extra money ($5 a month?) it is absolutely 100% worth it. Plus you get ad-free eps, do they still do ads?

Also Emily's accent is growing on me (or at least it's bothering me less) and it probably is easier for her to just constantly do it instead of going in and out of it 10,000 times an episode

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Apparently Zac Oyama is starting his own d&d podcast--no information about it yet really besides this announcement tweet but I'm interested (although if the only way to hear it is to sub to patreon perhaps less so, since i'm subbed to three d&d podcasts already and my family is dying please help)

https://twitter.com/ZacOyama/status/1330987216785469441?s=20

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Ainsley McTree posted:

Apparently Zac Oyama is starting his own d&d podcast--no information about it yet really besides this announcement tweet but I'm interested (although if the only way to hear it is to sub to patreon perhaps less so, since i'm subbed to three d&d podcasts already and my family is dying please help)

https://twitter.com/ZacOyama/status/1330987216785469441?s=20

Honestly it’s worth it for Emily’s character

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
It was really funny and I just love the interactions they had.

I'm sure Zac will get a bit more familiar with dming over time. When he rolled 9 separate strength checks, I was thinking please just do a group check, he didn't need to make it so hard!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Honestly it’s worth it for Emily’s character

Binky Fiasco?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

yeah it's increasingly hard to justify paying for more patreons when there's so much content out there

i get that it makes things easier to get going but i think we're reaching oversaturation on subscription-based content. hopefully they'll be successful and be able to sell some ads and put out a product funded that way eventually

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'll be honest, I like Zac, and I like Emily (and her character was fantastic) and I like Siobhan and, um, the other dude who I don't know at all seemed cool, but that first episode completely failed to grab me. I may have been a bit distracted while I was listening though, so I may give it another shot.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The unnamed 4th person made me interested enough to go check out the Patreon, just to see who else was on it, since Zac would presumably use someone from Dropout, or their circle of contributors and there's some fun folks there. The gimmick of the podcast is that it'll feature a rotating cast of characters/players, and the first cast is Emily, Siobhan Thompson (Apple Scrumper) and Mike Trapp. Mike Trapp being the host of "Umm, Actually...". Which has been mentioned here a few times, and seems like he'd be a fun dude to play with from that show. The first episode is available for free on their Patreon (as in, you don't need to sign up or anything; just click play on the embedded player), if anyone wants to listen to it. I'll give it a listen myself at some point later, I'd imagine.

That said, there are only 2 actual episodes a month, along with 2 more episodes where they discuss the played episodes, for a total of 4 episodes a month, at $5 for the month. Which is the only payment option, at least for now. Which...isn't great. I get that they're a new group, they all have commitments etc, but if you're charging money and only get 2 proper episodes a month for the same amount many others have 4 or 8 a month, it's not great. They do need to generate some money so they can fund it, obviously, but it's just not enticing given the price point and wealth of other options. Many of which offer more value for money. Which becomes even more of an issue when you think about the fact the show's main gimmick is that they'll rotate people in and out, so you might end up with stretches using casts you don't really care about.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

tsob posted:

The first episode is available for free on their Patreon (as in, you don't need to sign up or anything; just click play on the embedded player), if anyone wants to listen to it. I'll give it a listen myself at some point later, I'd imagine.

They also put it in the main NADDPod feed.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Oh right. I haven't actually looked at the main feed in years, and just look at Short Rest feed in my player. Which doesn't have it, for whatever reason. I wonder if I missed anything else, by not checking the main feed occasionally.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Mike Trapp is on the Escape from the Blood Keep run of Dimension 20 and does a great job on that. It was one of my favorite arcs and his character had some excellent moments.

I enjoyed the episode and like Zac but it wasn't so amazing that I want to pay $5 a month for it. I'm already supporting Dropout, Max Fun, and a podcast patreon so an extra $5 isn't happening unless it is really something special. There are just so many d&d podcasts that I like more and can listen to for free.

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!
I'll probably drop 5 bucks on it in like 4-6 months when there's a good backlog, but I doubt I'll be a full-time patron. Brendalizabeth was incredible; Emily committed so hard to the bit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WingsOfSteel posted:

I'll probably drop 5 bucks on it in like 4-6 months when there's a good backlog, but I doubt I'll be a full-time patron. Brendalizabeth was incredible; Emily committed so hard to the bit.

yea same, when there's a good backlog built up I likely will because Zac and the assorted Dropout/College Humor people he's pulling from are cool and the concept is fun but I just can't add another Patreon for two episodes of D&D a month and two chat episodes right now.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

speaking of dropout, the most recent Game Changer they got Giancarlo Esposito and the sole challenge is to try to read the same lines in character better than him, it's fantastic

the show is consistently a delight

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

WingsOfSteel posted:

That's a good idea actually; i'd be fine with paying out $5-15 for a good chunk of content all at once, but I don't see myself subbing on the ground floor for something new.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

eke out posted:

speaking of dropout, the most recent Game Changer they got Giancarlo Esposito and the sole challenge is to try to read the same lines in character better than him, it's fantastic

the show is consistently a delight

Giancarlo's absolute delight when he was brought in was so good.

"Are you ready for this?"

"NO! HOW COULD WE BE?!"

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

WingsOfSteel posted:

Having listened to the episode I'm kind of torn, because I really enjoyed it and I love that it uses a more sci-fi/fantasy mixed setting, rather than a traditional fantasy one; as well as that Zac's NPC's are generally goofy and fun, all 3 player characters were funny and seem like they could go places and the story he's set up is interesting; I just don't think $5 for 2 episodes is enticing though. I'll probably do like others, and leave it a few months to grab a backlog or something; maybe see who the next rotation of cast is. Emily was great in the episode, and her nasally voice was just on the right end that it never became outright annoying, which was some good work on her part. Her character did make me wonder if she could ever play someone deferential or socially conscious like Trapp is playing though, because all her characters, at least that I've seen, are quite out-spoken and brash in one way or another. It's presumably a choice on her part, but Brendaelizabeth standing up to the bully and speaking so plainly to Astrid did make me wonder if it's something she could ever actually do; even as a starting place, just because it'd be so different to what she normally does. Also, this is at least the second Barbarian that Siobhan has played, so she presumably likes the class. As is though, I think Trapp might have been my favourite, just because a Gnome in a car with boots who is so geeky and silly tickles me. He was obviously having a blast too.

All that aside, Emily's "That's a big lore dump; it's the kind of dump I'd call Murph in to see" was probably the best line in the show.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tsob posted:

Her character did make me wonder if she could ever play someone deferential or socially conscious like Trapp is playing though, because all her characters, at least that I've seen, are quite out-spoken and brash in one way or another.

emily playing... non-chaos?? i don't know if it's possible

jokes aside i've been having fun with the new d20 season for the same reason: murph, for i think the first time we've ever seen, playing a total piece of poo poo who isn't nice or lawful or helpful

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
She wouldn't need to not be chaotic though, since you can cause chaos behind people's backs or be less conspicuous about it in general. Just aware of and, at least for a time, afraid to stand out in front of or speak back to her peers for fear of reprisals of various kinds. It's possible she played someone like that in a Dimension 20 season I've not seen or a home campaign or something though, and just didn't find it interesting or fun enough to want to do. Or just isn't interested in doing one in general. It's so against her normal type I think it'd be cool, even for a one shot or something though.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I thought Zac said the horse's name was "Carfax" and that was funnier than the actual name so I'm a DM now

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

RandomFerret posted:

I thought Zac said the horse's name was "Carfax" and that was funnier than the actual name so I'm a DM now

And these are my horses: Carfax, CouponBug, The General,

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I really enjoyed Murph setting up everyone this episode, and leading them through the central fight using flashbacks to point out the best way to go about things. And that Zerk is set up as having the ability to read and use crowds due to his past. It's an unusual ability for a D'n'D character, at least from my limited experience, but seems like something that could be real useful if Murph/Caldwell keep it in mind in future. That said, Fia's was kind of hard to listen to, even short as it was, just because her small, child voice was so plaintive and the things happening so viscerally heart-rending.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

tsob posted:

That said, Fia's was kind of hard to listen to, even short as it was, just because her small, child voice was so plaintive and the things happening so viscerally heart-rending.

Hearing Emily perform young Fia begging her father to drop the act because she'd learned her lesson, when her characters (at least the ones I've heard) are almost universally are the take-no-poo poo, laugh-in-the-face-of-danger, bring-it-on-c'mon sort was kind of amazing, and as you say, heart-rending.

e. They talk some about this in this week's Short Rest, which I will say again is absolutely worth both your time and your money if you enjoy this podcast at all.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 5, 2020

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
On the other hand, it does a great job explaining her current personality/attitude, having come from that place. Especially with Betilda as her mentor, who Murph was obviously having a blast playing, even for the few seconds we see her. Holy poo poo did she chew up that theater of the mind. She really leans in to the "witch" element, and enjoys throwing it in people's faces by the sounds of it. I did love Fia's final "gently caress you" to her father, before turning around to Betilda and starting to tear up, too. Emily has done a great job making her endearing in only a few episodes.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
Next week's episode needs to be available now.

I'm stressing!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

King Crab posted:

Next week's episode needs to be available now.

I'm stressing!

Yeah, I think this might be the cruelest "...AND THAT'S WHERE WE'LL END OUR SESSION" yet.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Murph pulled a Glass Cannon Podcast this week. I had just caught up with their feed finally updating and tucked into NADDPOD thinking "at least this show will have me wrapped up for the week."

:argh:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I never checked it out but with the "campaign after the campaign" thing was there ever an actual first campaign or was that just the world building?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Bip Roberts posted:

I never checked it out but with the "campaign after the campaign" thing was there ever an actual first campaign or was that just the world building?

nah that's just the world building gimmick, the big bads are the adventuring party that hosed everything up in the last global crisis

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

eke out posted:

nah that's just the world building gimmick, the big bads are the adventuring party that hosed everything up in the last global crisis

That's what I figured but I wasn't sure if it was a private campaign or something. Also they're calling the new season "the campaign after the campaign after the campaign" which doesn't really work since it's not in bahuma.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Or is it???

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

It’s the campaign after [the campaign after the campaign]

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Bip Roberts posted:

That's what I figured but I wasn't sure if it was a private campaign or something. Also they're calling the new season "the campaign after the campaign after the campaign" which doesn't really work since it's not in bahuma.

I have zero faith that Murph will refrain from extraplanar travel to give cameos or sly winks to the first campaign.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

thecluckmeme posted:

I have zero faith that Murph will refrain from extraplanar travel to give cameos or sly winks to the first campaign.

I imagine if he does it'll be at a live show, or in a Patreon only extra show; rather than in the main campaign. Caldwell, Emily and Jake probably would go for it, but I think Murph generally prefers things to be a bit more serious and self-contained.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

tsob posted:

I imagine if he does it'll be at a live show, or in a Patreon only extra show; rather than in the main campaign. Caldwell, Emily and Jake probably would go for it, but I think Murph generally prefers things to be a bit more serious and self-contained.

Yeah I don't expect anything in the mainstream campaign episodes to be anything more fourth-wall breaking than a little easter egg, I doubt that Balnor's gonna come stumbling out of a portal or anything.

That said, how funny would it be if they found another deck of many things and pulled the knight card again

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I recently made the decision to delay listening to new episodes by ~6 days so I can have them back on Thursdays again like the old days. Thanksgiving nearly hosed it all up but I think I'm back on track now. Y'all are NOT helping with all your praise of the latest episode though!! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I don't expect anything in the mainstream campaign episodes to be anything more fourth-wall breaking than a little easter egg, I doubt that Balnor's gonna come stumbling out of a portal or anything.

That said, how funny would it be if they found another deck of many things and pulled the knight card again

Emily will 100% pull from the deck if it comes up again. I think they simulated pulling from it during the Greed layer of hell post-episode and it was something like a whole extra gained level and some other crazy benefit, she pulled twice.

My money is on Fia drawing the one that traps you in a stone thats teleported to another plane