Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

cakesmith handyman posted:

What you going to do, print it and post it?

Certainly carrier pigeon. :D

Forgot to mention he uses a cellular hotspot with absolutely terrible range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Starlink looks good in that neck of the woods.
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/10/remote-tribe-says-spacex-starlink-catapulted-them-into-21st-century/

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

Options at present:
Dialup if you can get anyone to string copper that far out
Wave if you're North of a certain point on the peninsula which we are not
Hughesnet satellite (the first H is silent)
Two cans and a very long piece of string

That's... About it. No cable, no dsl this far south. At all. No fiber.

If things go well for starlink I'll probably be a customer. If they go poorly I hope to start my own ISP and sell internet to a few hundred of my neighbors instead of having a corporate job.

Ah, well that spoils it for me. I live on the internet/Xbox.

...but maybe that will be a viable option by the time I can actually afford to try this.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That's fascinating, Forks isn't very far north of the KP by latitude.

Real interesting stuff going on with First Nations people in WA this year, some Tribes are blockading Reservations off from outsiders during COVID.

Guess they have a lot of experience with the White Man bringing disease on their land or something.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello DIYers! We have a new forum/mod feedback thread and would love to hear your thoughts!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944213

Get ready to read this message 15 more times in every thread you read!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The county did their well inspection and were happy, haven't gotten lab test results on the water quality back yet. The next thing after that is septic plan approval (it's waiting on well approval) and then install.

I'm looking at metal buildings for the barn right now and prices aren't bad. It looks like I could get a 40x80 kit for around 20k. Not sure if we're going wood or metal yet, but it's nice to see prices in that range.

Also the house out east is getting much closer to ready for sale so this thread will probably pick up a bit sometime before spring, hopefully...

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I have no idea what the waters like in WA, but if it's too hard a softener is a pretty simple install, the residential ones I worked on years back only needed salt refill once a month or so, and that was one 50lb at most.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm just hoping it doesn't have anything toxic in it!

Last night I looked into fire protection rules, Pierce county code 17C. It looks like if we build under 2k sqft (already planned that), stay 30' from property lines (already planned that), use a class A roof covering per UL 790 (already planned that, metal roofing and the GAF shingles I used on our current house both qualify), and use fiber cement siding we are exempt from fire water supply requirements. But since I know gently caress-all about sprinkler system costs and DIY seems to know more than me about such things, what am I looking at cost wise here anyways? I might do one regardless. What are the expensive parts I'll need to budget for? Permitting/inspection fees will be low since I'm not paying a contractor hourly to do it, I'm only really worried about the costs of any big ticket items I don't know I'll need yet. Is it really just a backflow preventer and a controller with a few valves? What kind of sensors and annunciators am I gonna be on the hook for here with a basic residential system?

E: wow it's even simpler than that, from what I can tell, just a flow sensor to set off the alarms, pressure gauge, backflow preventer, heads, and piping (special color so people don't tap into it for potable water). This seems like a no brainer choice.

kastein fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 26, 2020

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
All I know about fire suppression systems can be boiled down to, the installers a generally pretty cool to work with, will reroute(to a limit) any time you need them to. But if you don't get to them real drat early, you're going to have sprinkler pipes/hangers in every spot you were going to put some.

It's almost magical.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

immoral_ posted:

All I know about fire suppression systems can be boiled down to, the installers a generally pretty cool to work with, will reroute(to a limit) any time you need them to. But if you don't get to them real drat early, you're going to have sprinkler pipes/hangers in every spot you were going to put some.

It's almost magical.

One hundred percent accuracy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

immoral_ posted:

It's almost magical.

It really SHOULD be that the trade with the least movable things (rigid ducts, then sewer pipe, imo) gets first dibs, but from the inter-trade wars I see on Facebook, I'm guessing that isn't a thing. :v:

Luckily I'm wearing all of those hats so I have only myself to blame if I put something in my own way. Which I have done in the past.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
The problem is trades don't tend to collaborate when the shop is making the field plans, and sprinkler guys have the fire inspector on their side.

But like I said, every group I've worked with has been more than willing to reroute where they could. It's just that their stuff goes up really quickly compared to ductwork, so if you don't catch them before or during, it's likely that you won't even see them on the jobsite for days or weeks.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Honestly most of the debate I see seems to be the electricians complaining about the sheetrock guys just blatantly covering up their boxes, which blows my mind, having done both jobs. I have no idea how anyone can hang sheetrock over a box sticking out a half inch and not notice unless they were completely blasted out of their mind on something.

And occasionally plumbing or hvac being in the way... Sorry not much you can do about that without screwing things up bad, run the wires around.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Honestly most of the debate I see seems to be the electricians complaining about the sheetrock guys just blatantly covering up their boxes, which blows my mind, having done both jobs. I have no idea how anyone can hang sheetrock over a box sticking out a half inch and not notice unless they were completely blasted out of their mind on something.

And occasionally plumbing or hvac being in the way... Sorry not much you can do about that without screwing things up bad, run the wires around.

My plasterers buried 2 boxes in our bathroom. They're depth-adjustable boxes, and they adjusted them back all the way and then buried them... Sigh.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Or your electrician doesn't bother adjusting them at all or installs them all the way deep to begin with.

Or they just have a whip with no box for under cab lighting or a lighted mirror that gets buried in 50/100 units.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

So many buried boxes, boxes that had a roto-zip with no depth stop just crammed in them, slicing through wires and sometimes the sides of the box. The cardboard ripped out from inside the panel and the bus-bars and wires sprayed with texture...

Some drywallers just don't give a gently caress, some do though.

How does a fire suppression system work with a well? Is there an accumulator, or can the well pump provide enough GPM to run the system on its own?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elviscat posted:

How does a fire suppression system work with a well? Is there an accumulator, or can the well pump provide enough GPM to run the system on its own?

Depends on what the well can produce vs. the fireflow calculations. Very often you are looking at a cistern or tanks of a sufficient capacity for the structure and almost always you're looking at a fire pump, very often a non-electric one.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Motronic posted:

Depends on what the well can produce vs. the fireflow calculations. Very often you are looking at a cistern or tanks of a sufficient capacity for the structure and almost always you're looking at a fire pump, very often a non-electric one.

Ooof, I think I'd stick with a good homeowner's policy and bank on the fact that wildfires are still very rare in this part of western WA.

Kastein, those quotes for steel buildings you've been getting, is that fully insulated and ready for climate control?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Just the empty shell, doesn't even include doors.

Cistern doesn't bother me since we have tons of room, pump sounds maybe expensive though.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

kastein posted:

completely blasted out of their mind on something.

I mean, let's be frank here, wouldn't you have to be to do sheetrock as a career?

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I would have to be, yes, but some people find it relaxing, for some reason.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

sharkytm posted:

My plasterers buried 2 boxes in our bathroom. They're depth-adjustable boxes, and they adjusted them back all the way and then buried them... Sigh.

Builders plasterboarded over a two-gang box and the electricians and I had to spend half an hour tracking it down when we were doing electrical signoff and one of the rings was complaining.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Wow that's some bullshit.

Well driller and I talked today, they had to re-chlorinate and retest this week, apparently the first (and maybe second? I didn't get a good idea of how many times they've run the samples) sample failed for coliform bacteria. Not fecal coliform, just coliform, he says it's been happening a lot this year for some reason and it should be fine. It's something to do with the cleanliness of the well install, I'm guessing because their equipment and well casing stockpile sits outside in their equipment lot and something is getting on it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That's interesting. The well casing is carbon steel, and Bacteria just loves all the little pits and crevices rust forms, and ir never really dries out here. So I could see that happening.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

kastein posted:

Wow that's some bullshit.

Well driller and I talked today, they had to re-chlorinate and retest this week, apparently the first (and maybe second? I didn't get a good idea of how many times they've run the samples) sample failed for coliform bacteria. Not fecal coliform, just coliform, he says it's been happening a lot this year for some reason and it should be fine. It's something to do with the cleanliness of the well install, I'm guessing because their equipment and well casing stockpile sits outside in their equipment lot and something is getting on it.

Coliform bacteria is everywhere. My real estate friend says it's very common for houses to fail.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yup. They got a passing sample this time, just got the notification from him!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

kastein posted:

Yup. They got a passing sample this time, just got the notification from him!

Great news. Our house failed too when we were buying it, the realtor said it's very common in wells that sit and don't get used regularly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

We are clear to begin septic work but have been holding off as the previous house *still* isn't done. Something something 90/900 rule of project management

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
At this point don’t you have enough trucks to take apart the rebuilt house in large chunks, move it over and liquid nail it together at the new place?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I do, but I also don't want to, given that I want a nice modern framed house that will meet earthquake codes over there :v:

(Also most of the trucks are for sale or being parted out, I'm only keeping the blue one and the Honcho.)

At this point I think we will be on site permanently around late July, with several trips out to prep between now and then.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

GREETINGS INTERNET BLACKBERRY ENTHUSIASTS

So Thursday we flew into LAX, rode North to Nipomo with my in-laws. Took stock of the condition of the beast, planned Friday parts and tools acquisition.

Condition:
Hasn't driven in 3? 5? 10? Years. Uncertain. "Overheated once but we filled it right back up", radiator chock full of brownish blackish foamy sludge of indeterminate provenance. 2008 date coded tires with the Grand Canyon dry cracked into the sidewalls. Cooling system had a gallon of liquid in it but that's it. Many dead bulbs. Batteries totally shot. Roof tarped because it leaks. Belts crusty and flapping. Etc etc etc

Bought some new radiator hoses, oil change, fuel filter, trans filter, belts, etc. New starting battery. Got it to hold water, filled it up, got it started, verified it holds pressure. New wipers, fixed all the exterior lighting, changed the oil. I'm out of time or I'd change the trans fluid too, it looks alright. Got new tires on it today.

Remaining repairs needed: belts, patch roof, waterproof the window on the door.

We start the 1200 mile drive tomorrow. I would post pics but my phone has its head up its rear end and so does the imgur app so... No pictures because it's 2021 and software developers have made uploading and hotlinking a jpeg loving impossible.

Hopefully we make it there, if so we'll be in Washington later this week and... Then flying back east again.

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 8, 2021

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

So Thursday we flew into LAX, rode North to Nipomo with my in-laws. Took stock of the condition of the beast, planned Friday parts and tools acquisition.

Condition:
Hasn't driven in 3? 5? 10? Years. Uncertain. "Overheated once but we filled it right back up", radiator chock full of brownish blackish foamy sludge of indeterminate provenance. 2008 date coded tires with the Grand Canyon dry cracked into the sidewalls. Cooling system had a gallon of liquid in it but that's it. Many dead bulbs. Batteries totally shot. Roof tarped because it leaks. Belts crusty and flapping. Etc etc etc

Bought some new radiator hoses, oil change, fuel filter, trans filter, belts, etc. New starting battery. Got it to hold water, filled it up, got it started, verified it holds pressure. New wipers, fixed all the exterior lighting, changed the oil. I'm out of time or I'd change the trans fluid too, it looks alright. Got new tires on it today.

We start the 1200 mile drive tomorrow. I would post pics but my phone has its head up its rear end and so does the imgur app so... No pictures because it's 2021 and software developers have made uploading and hotlinking a jpeg loving impossible.

Hopefully we make it there, if so we'll be in Washington later this week and... Then flying back east again.

What vehicle is this? Sounds... Fun?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

sharkytm posted:

What vehicle is this? Sounds... Fun?

Yeah, I seem to have missed what adventure we're on.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

kastein posted:

Condition:

As someone who lives in Nipomo why come all the way here to buy an... RV?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I think his plan was to live in the RV amidst the blackberries, build a large pole barn, put RV inside, build smallish house, with blackberry pruning several times along the way. I'm guessing they had a line on a cheap RV near the in laws? Fly, fix, drive works better if you wash someone else's driveway in ATF, look how General Mayhem turned out!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Alarbus is correct. My wife inherited (well, early, they realized they weren't safe to drive it anymore, nor fix it, and wanted it out of the driveway) a 1994 Safari Trek 2830 RV which we will be living in while we build the barn and house. Then restoring it after.

We're currently within 20ish miles of our place. Stopped by some friends on the way there and stayed later than planned. Most of the passes and grades on 101 and i5 were brutal since this thing weighs 11000lb and has a whole 135hp at sea level, but it made it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Oh this will be awesome please post about it!!!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Alarbus is correct. My wife inherited (well, early, they realized they weren't safe to drive it anymore, nor fix it, and wanted it out of the driveway) a 1994 Safari Trek 2830 RV which we will be living in while we build the barn and house. Then restoring it after.

We're currently within 20ish miles of our place. Stopped by some friends on the way there and stayed later than planned. Most of the passes and grades on 101 and i5 were brutal since this thing weighs 11000lb and has a whole 135hp at sea level, but it made it.

good god a 4BD in that thing? how fast were you pulling hills? 20mph? lmao :stare:
That's an alright floorplan to live in. Try not to look much below the skin, these things are horrors inside.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Here's a link to a spec sheet for the curious - http://www.nwtfc.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/1994-Trek-Spec-Sheet.pdf

I like the circled gas tank size with the note "Small!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

good god a 4BD in that thing? how fast were you pulling hills? 20mph? lmao :stare:
That's an alright floorplan to live in. Try not to look much below the skin, these things are horrors inside.

My *hip* went through the roof while I was patching it. I'm hosed, I'm going to have to redo the entire structure I'm assuming. I made it waterproof again but it's not pretty. Are these wood or metal house frame?

Yeah, criminally slow. I think we dropped to 25 or 30 on the Mount Shasta grades and the same on Siskiyou. Cuesta was brutal too, I had to stop and cool down to avoid hitting the red zone.

But we made it and I'm fighting blackberries right now.

The fuel tank is alright, it fits at least 35ish gallons on this model. We filled up 3 times after starting with a nearly full tank and ended up with about half a tank.

E: oh hey the spec sheet I have looked at ten times in the last 2 weeks says 33 gallons. It has been getting nearly 12mpg with my foot on the floor.

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 10, 2021