Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Anybody know what the first story of a badguy dressing up as the superhero was. I know Chameleon does it in Amazing Spider-Man #1, but superheroes had been around for 30 years by then, so I'd guess it's not the first.

There's an early Black Terror story where exactly this happens, but even that might not be the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I’m getting caught up on Inhuman stuff and started on Death of the Inhumans, but I’m confused about a couple things. Royals ends with Gorgon stuck on the world farm and Ronan being the only Kree left on Hala, but now Gorgon’s back and the Kree have a giant army they can take out thousands of inhumans with.
Did I miss a book in between, does all that get explained later, or is it just one of those things

E: ok part of it gets explained. I’m assuming the rest is just “comic books :shrug:

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 24, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah DotI is not very good

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I read the 80s Vigilante series and one thing it is notable for is the introduction to the DC universe of Peacemaker, who becomes a minor character for a chunk of the comic. However, Peacemaker in the comic was portrayed as completely bonkers with the idea that the souls of those he killed would become trapped in his helmet. Later appearances of Peacemaker that I've seen over the years don't mention this at all so how long did that character quirk last?

Also, this is just something that's been bugging me since I've read the comic and I don't expect anyone to actually have an answer but for anyone else who has read the 80s Vigilante series; did you get an impression that originally they were setting up Adrian's DA girlfriend to be working for/with the Collector? The issue she gets introduced the Collector talks about having someone in the DA's office and she makes a deal with a couple of hitmen who work for the Collector that everyone thinks is too lenient.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

muscles like this! posted:

So I read the 80s Vigilante series and one thing it is notable for is the introduction to the DC universe of Peacemaker, who becomes a minor character for a chunk of the comic. However, Peacemaker in the comic was portrayed as completely bonkers with the idea that the souls of those he killed would become trapped in his helmet. Later appearances of Peacemaker that I've seen over the years don't mention this at all so how long did that character quirk last?
I can't speak to all of the subsequent Peacemaker comics over the years, but this concept was definitely part of the Peacemaker backup in the (possibly COVID-canceled) Inferior Five mini-series by Jeff Lemire and Keith Giffen last year.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Skwirl posted:

Oh, so the herbs don't actually matter and it's just the Panther God saying "yeah, you can have powers" and making the herb an arbitrary test.

I feel validated.

I know im late to this but IIRC the herb is toxic to anyone who isnt from the royal bloodline so not just any tom dick and harry can take it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Knives Amilli posted:

I know im late to this but IIRC the herb is toxic to anyone who isnt from the royal bloodline so not just any tom dick and harry can take it.

Late? You're responding to something from over a month ago which is like 2 years in 2020 time.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Late? You're responding to something from over a month ago which is like 2 years in 2020 time.

no need to be rude to a posting pal offering herb-use safety tips on thanksgiving!!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Over 1,000 Americans each year go into metaphysical panther comas from arrogantly using heart-shaped herb in their stuffing, but I guess that's kind of the price of hubris.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder if there was ever a plan to connect the super soldie serum to the herb.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Hey hon, I just got back from the co-op and unfortunately all they had was this butt-shaped herb, and it's kind of wilty even. Guess we'll have to settle for communing with the baboon god.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhyno posted:

I wonder if there was ever a plan to connect the super soldie serum to the herb.
Considering Wakanda was so secretive, probably not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FilthyImp posted:

So let's ignore that Klaw knew about Wakanda and that Steve and Tchalla moved identically in IW.

There's been plenty of speculation that the core of the SS was chemically similar to the herb.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

FilthyImp posted:

The US knew about wakanda around that time since they had the vibranium to make the shield, so it's at least possible. It's unnecessary I think, to get into that but the groundwork is there

E: realizing I'm thinking about this the wrong way, erskine would have needed to know before he fled Germany, klaw knew but that was in the 90s and we don't know for sure if was a family thing and *his* father and/or the Germans knew about it back in the 30s/40s

site fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 27, 2020

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

site posted:

The US knew about wakanda around that time since they had the vibranium to make the shield, so it's at least possible. It's unnecessary I think, to get into that but the groundwork is there

E: realizing I'm thinking about this the wrong way, erskine would have needed to know before he fled Germany, klaw knew but that was in the 90s and we don't know for sure if was a family thing and *his* father and/or the Germans knew about it back in the 30s/40s

I don’t remember exactly where I’m came from but I’m pretty sure they all think the shield is all the vibrainium in the world for a while and it’s just a fluke

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I wonder if there was ever a plan to connect the super soldier serum to the herb.

Yeah that was kinda why I brought it up in the first place, because I know there have been numerous examples over the years of people trying to duplicate the serum, I've never heard of anyone attempting the same thing with the herb. Though I suppose if it's toxic to non-royals, then that makes sense.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
They really bounced around with a) what Captain America's shield is made out of and b) how it got made.

Cap's shield got destroyed repeatedly in the Golden Age and early Avengers comics, and was never treated as "indestructible". This was retconned later by saying that Iron Man was doing experiments on the shield and the ones that got messed up were loaners he gave Cap. Pretty quickly they went ahead and made it "indestructible".

Roy Thomas introduced Adamantium in the Avengers where it was a "new metal" that SHIELD scientist Myron MacLain was developing. There wasn't any explanation as to how they developed it, and it was a plot device for Ultron wanting to build his body out of it. Captain America didn't appear in these stories and his shield didn't play a role in anything, though the Black Panther made a cameo giving Thor some vibranium, which I guess helped destroy the Adamantium shell of Ultron?

Adamantium got used a couple other times (usually as something someone would build a trap for the Hulk out of or something) before making its more famous appearance as The Stuff Wolverine's Claws (and eventually bones) are covered in.

By the time of Cap's 40th Anniversary (when Roger Stern and John Byrne did a modern retelling of his origin) Captain America met with FDR and was given "a shield with incredible properties... if only the metalurgical accident which produced it could be replicated..." but it doesn't mention anything specific, and can't find any explicit reference to it being made out of vibranium, adamantium, or anything else prior to 1983, when The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe connected the dots that Myron McClain was a metallurgist in World War II who accidentally made Vibranium/Adamantium alloy and forged it into a shield for Captain America. I couldn't find any reference to this prior to the OHOTMU entry, and this Brian Cronin piece I found after doing 90% of the same legwork concurs that this was made up for OHOTMU.

But just a couple of years later Mike Carlin and Mark Gruenwald (editors of OHOTMU) did a two-part Captain America story where MacLain was kidnapped by Stane International and held at gunpoint to make them an Adamantium Iron Monger suit, where MacLain reiterated the story in flashback: he was given a sample of something "he thinks" was Vibranium and fell asleep while melting it, and when he woke up he had Adamantium. So that was eventually made in-comic canon.

Except Vibranium isn't exclusive to Wakanda, and in fact the first appearance of it was when people discovered it in the Savage Land in an early Daredevil/Ka-Zar team-up (this itself is a retcon, as it was a similar magic metal called "antimetal" in those stories, but in the 1980s they established it as a secondary Vibranium lode.) None of these 1980s stories about Cap's partially-vibranium shields mention Wakanda.

Though to throw a further spanner in the works, Reggie Hudlin and Denys Cowan did a mini-series about ten years ago (Flags of Our Fathers) where Captain America follows some Nazis (who have heard rumors about Vibranium and want it for their V2 rockets) into Wakanda, where he discovers that they're super advanced and helps them fight the Nazis. T'Challa's grand-dad won't enter into the war but he offers Captain America a vibranium shield, and the Howling Commandos and Captain America agree to keep Wakanda's technology secret.

So I guess this means that maybe the United States had no idea about Wakanda when they were working on Project: Rebirth, but they might have known about it when they made Captain America's shield, or maybe just found some vibranium, or maybe Wakanda made the shield for Cap?

This all gets weirder as the sliding timeline slide, because Adamantium has to predate the Avengers forming (and certainly like... the Vision being a member of the Avengers and etc.) for Wolverine to have had it bonded to his bones in the 1970s, and it seems weird that Myron MacClain both was a top army scientist in the early 1940s and also around in the past 8-10 years to interact with Ultron, working-cartoonist-era Captain America, etc.

Plus the world's knowledge of Wakanda (and vibranium, and the existence of Vibranium lodes outside of Wakanda) all seem to sort of jump back and forth depending on what a story dictates.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 27, 2020

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

Though to throw a further spanner in the works, Reggie Hudlin and Denys Cowan did a mini-series about ten years ago (Flags of Our Fathers) where Captain America follows some Nazis (who have heard rumors about Vibranium and want it for their V2 rockets) into Wakanda, where he discovers that they're super advanced and helps them fight the Nazis. T'Challa's grand-dad won't enter into the war but he offers Captain America a vibranium shield, and the Howling Commandos and Captain America agree to keep Wakanda's technology secret.

Christopher Priest did this exact same story, minus being given the a vibranium shield. I think Cap got a sample of vibranium in the Priest version.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I always appreciate a good info dump.

Just to clarify, I was talking about the MCU specifically.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I also thought this was about the MCU so disregard my post lol, but I did not know that there's vibranium in the savage land so that's interesting

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Was the antimetal vibranium found in the Savage Land actual vibranium or Antarctic vibranium that actively destroys other metal, like Spidey and Nova used against the second Tri-Sentinel?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Was the antimetal vibranium found in the Savage Land actual vibranium or Antarctic vibranium that actively destroys other metal, like Spidey and Nova used against the second Tri-Sentinel?

if I remember right, what they went with was that they were calling Savage Land vibranium "antimetal" because it does the opposite of Wakandan vibranium (instead of absorbing vibration, it emits vibration, and those vibrations destroy all metal). I imagine it stemmed from a writer screwing up and Gruenwald explaining the hell out of it in an Official Handbook entry

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Karma Tornado posted:

if I remember right, what they went with was that they were calling Savage Land vibranium "antimetal" because it does the opposite of Wakandan vibranium (instead of absorbing vibration, it emits vibration, and those vibrations destroy all metal). I imagine it stemmed from a writer screwing up and Gruenwald explaining the hell out of it in an Official Handbook entry

This is pretty much the way of all comics history. It's like Lee forgetting Hulks alias and all of a sudden Banner had two first names.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
For the Acts of Vengeance crossover are the ones with the Acts of vengeance banner across the top the essential parts of the story and the ones with the crossover info in the top right corner just supplementary? If not, what issues do I need to read for the story.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CopywrightMMXI posted:

For the Acts of Vengeance crossover are the ones with the Acts of vengeance banner across the top the essential parts of the story and the ones with the crossover info in the top right corner just supplementary? If not, what issues do I need to read for the story.

The banner are the issues considered to be "core" to the story with the big villain conspiracy. The corner tag are comics where the hero is just fighting someone they normally wouldn't.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Random Stranger posted:

The banner are the issues considered to be "core" to the story with the big villain conspiracy. The corner tag are comics where the hero is just fighting someone they normally wouldn't.

Thanks!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Didn't even notice the difference. I did think the series was absurdly long. But it's been fun anyway, so I'll still read 'em all.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You get Thor vs Juggernaut, and the Captain Universe Spider-Man stuff, so that’s worth looking forward to.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lobok posted:

Didn't even notice the difference. I did think the series was absurdly long.

It really is. And in general the Avengers books at the time weren't that great other than Captain America (who you might note has the best story in Acts of Vengeance). But then then it wasn't much of a story, more of a wacky idea someone in Marvel editorial had that everyone jumped onto because it sounded like so much fun. And it was great to see things get mixed up. It's the kind of story you can't do anymore because nobody will do that kind of brief cut in where things get weird for a month. Acts of Vengeance is smashing your action figures together and doing it well.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

Does anyone know the name of this character?

The girl that is. I don't know the source but the character design is kind of neat and I want to find more.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Frekkie Melody posted:

The girl that is. I don't know the source but the character design is kind of neat and I want to find more.

You see that bridge over ther, she built it, but do they call her Bridge Builder? No.

See that church, every stone she placed every stone, do they call her Church Builder? No.

But you gently caress one cat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's from the Young Animal Doom Patrol.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Frekkie Melody posted:

Casey Brinke from Doom Patrol.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

Thanks. This character is great!

I am in love with that design.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Was the man cat hot tho

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

site posted:

Was the man cat hot tho

I have never even heard of this comic but it looks completely bonkers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Frekkie Melody posted:

I mean, it's a Doom Patrol comic. If it wasn't it'd be a pretty poo poo one.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Frekkie Melody posted:

Seems like a jerk tbh

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

site posted:

Seems like a jerk tbh

A sexy jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

Seems like a jerk tbh

Yeah he's a cat