Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
https://www.amazon.com/Dario-Argent...R68MPMEMR4B3AB3

This Argento blu ray collection has both versions of Deep Red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

weekly font posted:

Killing of a Sacred Deer

The only good scene in the TCM remake

Oh yeah that camera shot in TCM 2003 is pretty incredible.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Daria was always wonderful in her films, that’s very sad for sure.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

I don’t know if I was in the wrong mood or what but Possessor didn’t work for me. I felt like I knew where they were going with it really early and lost patience with the slow pace. I’m assuming I’m just wrong because literally everyone else liked it, oh well.

I'd advise giving it another chance when you're in a wildly different mood, because I think I like it a fair bit but there were definitely points while I was watching where I felt extremely disappointed. It's a weird watch because the broad strokes are so predictable that the slow pace often feels unforgivable, and a lot of the obvious stuff it seems like it should and will be about is sort of there but not in a way the movie is concerned with or has much to say about. So I think there's a pretty strong possibility that it would feel more rewarding on a second watch, when you're ready to ignore the stuff it feels like you should be focused on and pay attention to the other stuff instead.

In particular it's initially a jarring juxtaposition that the most obvious issues of identity following from the premise are a central part of the story from Colin's perspective, but Tasya is nominally the protagonist and that poo poo barely matters to her. Halfway through I was starting to feel like the opening was a fakeout and we were really seeing his story first and foremost, and it wasn't really until the final scene that I came back around on this.

And, yeah, gently caress. RIP Daria.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm not understanding how Possessor is considered slow paced.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Null of Undefined posted:

I loved The Lodge and it has one of the most effective gunshots that I've ever seen in a movie. It felt powerful in a way that they just don't in other movies.

I actually didn't even recognize Alicia Silverstone at first because I hadn't seen her in anything in years, and it wasn't until after that scene that I realized it was her.

I wouldn't say I loved it, but I appreciated that it's one of the few horror films in recent memory that pulls off several explanations which in the moment could each be equally plausible. Is she doing it to herself in a fugue state? Is she just crazy? Are the kids just extremely cruel? Are they all dead? Is someone else doing this to them? Is the cabin haunted? So I really liked that instead of just picking one of those ideas, it became a combination of a couple of them.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

does Videodrome count as gun-based horror? or is it a horror-based gun

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

alf_pogs posted:

does Videodrome count as gun-based horror? or is it a horror-based gun

Body based horror gun.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Gunhand-based body horror

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Gunbodanshord for short

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Obama cant take away my gunbodanshords!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The Vinegar Syndrome Black Friday sale started so I picked up Fade to Black and Nightmare Sisters. Never seen Nightmare Sisters, but it looks like a trip

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

dorium posted:

The Vinegar Syndrome Black Friday sale started so I picked up Fade to Black and Nightmare Sisters. Never seen Nightmare Sisters, but it looks like a trip

I personally didn’t love Nightmare Sisters but I know a lot of people really like it. It’s definitely memorable at least! I picked up Fade to Black as well, and got the UHD of Dial Code Santa Claus.

Also grabbed a couple things from Severin including the new documentary about horror anthologies, I’m really looking forward to that one.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Looking through severin right now but nothing is jumping out at me. Dunno why it just occurred to me but I want to get Aquarius: Stage Fright on disc.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

gey muckle mowser posted:

I personally didn’t love Nightmare Sisters but I know a lot of people really like it. It’s definitely memorable at least! I picked up Fade to Black as well, and got the UHD of Dial Code Santa Claus.

Also grabbed a couple things from Severin including the new documentary about horror anthologies, I’m really looking forward to that one.

Have you watched Fade to Black? I feel like its protagonist is this thread, made flesh.

Also, has anyone watched the film "Books of Blood"? It's on Hulu, it's an anthology and I don't recognize any of the stories as being from Clive Barker's Books of Blood, but I thought it was decent.

The stories kind of wrap together but the first one (the young woman staying at the bed and breakfast) is by far the best and occupies the most space, and I honestly kind of wish they'd done the whole film about just that story.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 27, 2020

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Zwabu posted:

Have you watched Fade to Black? I feel like its protagonist is this thread, made flesh.

Nope, it’s a blind buy. That description makes me even more interested!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Paul McCartney posted:

Well well, take off your face
Recover from the trip you've been on
I want you to lie on the bed
Get you ready for my body gun
I'm gonna do it to you, gonna do it
Sweet banana, you've never been done
Yes, I go like a rabbit, gonna grab it
Gonna do it 'til the night is done…

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Nope, it’s a blind buy. That description makes me even more interested!

It's a really cool movie. I watched a very bad dvd copy of it last month so im excited to see what a nice 2K restoration looks like.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Organizing some old boxes and found this beauty I forgot about. God knows when I last had a vcr and it would probably disintegrate if I tried to watch it, but I could never bear to part with it

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Retro Futurist posted:

Organizing some old boxes and found this beauty I forgot about. God knows when I last had a vcr and it would probably disintegrate if I tried to watch it, but I could never bear to part with it

It belongs in a museum!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

dorium posted:

It belongs in a museum!

Top. Men.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
The Wretched was made sometime between 2004-09 and put on the shelf until now, and no one can convince me otherwise

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ah, you’ve read my grindr profile.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
against my better judgement I’m watching Verotika right now, and holy poo poo. It’s like everyone involved with this movie is an alien who only recently arrived on Earth. One of the women just pronounced “psycho” like “puh-see-ko”, lol

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

against my better judgement I’m watching Verotika right now, and holy poo poo. It’s like everyone involved with this movie is an alien who only recently arrived on Earth. One of the women just pronounced “psycho” like “puh-see-ko”, lol

It's a fascinating movie... It the director weren't someone like Danzig, I'd assume that they were doing some sort of Kaufman-esque anti-horror thing because every single step seems wrong and poorly chosen to just be BAD. Not even so bad it's good, JUST BAD.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

It's a fascinating movie... It the director weren't someone like Danzig, I'd assume that they were doing some sort of Kaufman-esque anti-horror thing because every single step seems wrong and poorly chosen to just be BAD. Not even so bad it's good, JUST BAD.

it reminds me of a fake movie that would be playing on TV in the background of a horror comedy, like bad on purpose as a joke. Except it’s sincere and just incredibly incompetently made

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The only thing they can do to make Scream 5 work is make it inexplicably really good like horror films have been for the past 8 years or so.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

JordanKai posted:

The only thing they can do to make Scream 5 work is make it inexplicably really good like horror films have been for the past 8 years or so.

this post is only true if its posted from the year 2008

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Ari Aster directing Scream 5 would make the scream franchise relevant again.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It’s definitely going to lean more Blumhouse than A24

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

dorium posted:

Ari Aster directing Scream 5 would make the scream franchise relevant again.
Aster has a great eye as a filmmaker, but is a complete child edge-lord as a storyteller. Scream actually requires this level of humanity that guy isn't capable of with his movies that are essentially gorgeous depictions of a kid ripping the wings off of a fly.

I think a relevant Scream needs to go back to the gender politics of the original.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ari Aster makes some very good horror comedies.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Tomorrow :toot:

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Lockdown is ending in the UK, so this might be my last one of these for a while :iiam:

:spooky: Sunday Chill Stream - Life in the Gutter Spectacular :spooky:
:rip: Only on the CineD Discord :rip:

All times in EST and may not reflect reality

0900 Deadbeat at Dawn
1030 Smithereens
1215 Relaxer
1355 Bringing Out the Dead
1605 The Lovers on the Bridge
1820 Bad Lieutenant
2005 The Doom Generation (Uncut)
2135 La Haine
2325 Santa Sangre

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I think im going to watch the Hostel movies.

I've seen the first one a few times, but not in a very long time. I think I've seen the second one but barely remember it and I think I fell asleep during it. Never seen the third one and didnt even know it existed until a Youtube video entitled "Hostel: III (2011) DISTURBING BREAKDOWN" showed up in my recommends that I'm now slightly piqued enough to watch the first one in a very long long long long time.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I rewatched Hostel 1 and 2 fairly recently. They hold up, with the first one being the stronger of the two. I still maintain that Hostel is one of the most hosed up movies to ever gain mainstream attention.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I saw this so you have to as well.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah gonna need that.

I’ll get/watch anything by David Gordon green at this point.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Ari Aster makes some very good horror comedies.

You have to have a really good understanding of people to make either great horror or great comedy and I think Aster has that. He knows exactly the buttons to push and isn't afraid to push them. I'd assert that Lucky Mckee has a lot of the same instincts and really knows how to make a viewer uncomfortable in the midst compelling ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I still remember watching Roman on some random channel at like 3 AM and being really surprised at how effective it was. I had never heard of it and for whatever reason at that time I couldn't find a lot about the movie on the internet. It looked really low quality so I assumed I'd somehow accident stumbled on some student film that got snuck into the studio while everyone was asleep.