Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qye6PrY-Q7Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I’m surprised that Denji had a plan and that they fire fire can stop Denji. Did they miss the part where he set himself on fire to kill the darkness demon?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The hybrids are real casual about dying. Go figure.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Was worried for a second that Himeno would show up as a zombie but thank god her entire body disappeared. That'd be brutal.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I’m surprised that Denji had a plan and that they fire fire can stop Denji. Did they miss the part where he set himself on fire to kill the darkness demon?

Flamethrower wasn't there, and Quanxi telling him would mean giving up an advantage in the competition over Makima.

Meanwhile, Denji always has a plan for rematches. The fact that it's usually a really stupid plan doesn't change that fact.

Interesting chapter.

Fight heavy ones like this really benefit from getting a proper release, not just scans.

I also feel like my Makima speculation is getting reinforced, not shot down. Reviving Denji like that, especially when she's calling him Denji-kun again, suggests some unsettled feelings.

Also, pretty good showing from our hero. Sure, it's weaker than full power Poochita, but it's stronger than Denji has ever been before.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Thoren posted:

Thanks a lot for posting these

No problem, I try to post them when I can if someone else hasn't already

chiasaur11 posted:

Fight heavy ones like this really benefit from getting a proper release, not just scans.

I also feel like my Makima speculation is getting reinforced, not shot down. Reviving Denji like that, especially when she's calling him Denji-kun again, suggests some unsettled feelings.

Also, pretty good showing from our hero. Sure, it's weaker than full power Poochita, but it's stronger than Denji has ever been before.

Denji did the move that Beam was originally referring to!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Flamethrower wasn't there, and Quanxi telling him would mean giving up an advantage in the competition over Makima.

Meanwhile, Denji always has a plan for rematches. The fact that it's usually a really stupid plan doesn't change that fact.

Interesting chapter.

Makima however was present so she could've stopped flamethrower.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Makima however was present so she could've stopped flamethrower.

She could have... but Makima's agenda seems less concrete than some of her past exploits.

If she just wanted Denji dead, she could have left him there. Warning flamethrower guy is rather low on the list of priorities, even if he had a way to contribute against the craziest son-of-a-bitch in the game.

Also, a couple other thoughts.

Denji's actually one of the most experienced Devil Hunters alive, and not just since he got immortal and got thrown into the deep end. He's also got something like nine years in the game. Considering how many hunters Aki had seen die in just three years working for Makima, I'd be surprised if there were a dozen hunters in the bureau with that kind of experience.

On a more depressing note? Denji's probably made some assumptions about Reze. As far as he knows, she vanished then signed on with Makima. He doesn't know she tried to see him, he doesn't know she got controlled. As far as Denji knows, the whole thing was another plot by Makima. Which might explain why he isn't giving her much attention even beyond his focus on Makima.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Denji wake up and kill Makima!!!!! Please!!! I need him to get a win

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't think Makima cares whatsoever for the hybrids. Watching them flail around seems to amuse her rather than draw her into giving them commands. They made that bet in front of her when she knew they had absolutely zero chance of winning.

This chapter is definitely one better read non-speedscan, the action takes a little to unpack but it's so good.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I don't know why some chapters come out on Fridays, but i love when they do

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1007950

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

a kitten posted:

Brought to you by the magic of holidays.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

a kitten posted:

It's due to Japanese holidays. Three in a row mean the shops aren't available for the usual release date.

Something I saw pointed out about the framing in the latest chapter is that Makima's claim that there's no reason to fear Chainsaw Man is presented from behind, in one of the classic "even the person saying the line doesn't buy it" poses, right before Denji shows that, however much power the Chainsaw Devil has lost, he's still able to take on half a dozen hybrids before managing a mutual kill against the most dangerous non-Denji human being on the planet.

And yeah. The more I look at this chapter, the more obvious it is that even Makima doesn't know how she's feeling about this one.

Looking back at some earlier things, Makima's sometimes much easier to read in fuller context. For example, that smile when Denji stays back to help Power? Ambiguous at the time. Now, that's one's full on "Yep. Got him on the line."

But some of the chapter 80 stuff, by contrast, seems like there's genuine empathy. Makima isn't happy to see Denji miserable, and she looks happy when he's a little less in the shitter (less than an hour before she kicks him in again and flushes).

Chapter 81 and 82, by contrast, she's full on gleeful at his suffering. But 80 has more interesting things on top.

Starting with things I found a little less important (since it only plays into the reveals we get already rather than suggesting anything new), it's clear that Makima is doing setup for the "easier not to think" side of things, leaning into showing how happy her dogs are and calling Denji a good boy. He also gets more commands, and Makima spends less time framing her lines to Denji with "I think" and giving him room to judge what he gets than she usually does. There's still questions, but Denji... doesn't acquit himself very well. (Which I'm not blaming him for. He just killed the closest thing he had to family, of course he's going to be a wreck. But to someone as inhuman as Makima? Probably not helping his case).

The really interesting bit for me was smaller. When Denji thanked Makima for helping him feel a little better?

We got a back of the head shot, just like when Makima's saying that there's no need to fear Chainsaw Man. If it's just meant to imply something sinister, then we just get the smile. But placed like that, knowing what we know? It almost feels like guilt. (Almost. It is Makima we're talking about here.)

That's further amplified by Makima bringing up that Denji saved her when she offers the wish, instead of leaving it at the promise. Putting that together with my possibly insane tossed together theory earlier, it would place Makima and Denji at a crossroads. One that poor Denji was completely unaware of.

He could be something kind of like an equal, or he could be an obstacle to the Chainsaw's rightful return. And I think that might be part of why Makima went so all out in the next few chapters.

Because if Denji wasn't anything but an obstacle, she needed to prove that to herself. Prove just how unimportant he was, erase whatever it was that didn't let her control him, and be so thorough that no part of her could believe for a second that she'd ever thought of him as anything more. It was, in a very perverse sense, exorcising her demons, showing the whole "Ruin Denji to bring back Chainsaw" plan was the whole of their relationship from the beginning.

And for a while, it worked! As long as Denji was gone, it just proved that Makima was right the whole time. Like when he opened the door to let Makima murder his closest living friend? Hilarious! Total proof of how unimportant he was.

It's just now that Denji's back... well. As Denji just showed, people don't tend to react well to having their whole worldview ripped apart.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

Denji wake up and kill Makima!!!!! Please!!! I need him to get a win

She just gave him her blood to heal him. He's definitely getting up, but God alone knows what's going to happen when he does.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Elsewhere in Jump, this thread gets a cameo.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

chiasaur11 posted:

It's just now that Denji's back... well. As Denji just showed, people don't tend to react well to having their whole worldview ripped apart.

That also ties into Makimas goal and why she might be shaken by Deni coming back to fight her even if he's weaker then Chainsawman: She wants to either control or be consumed by Chainsawman.

But with Denji in control neither of those scenarios will happen. She's being denied everything she's ever wanted and she doesn't have a plan to change that. Her giving him blood at the end of the chapter might suggest that she's gonna try one more time to mentally break him. What happens now is depends entirely on how the story wants to end. If Denji kills her (Kishibe kills/threatens the prime minister and cancels he contract) then that's that. If he consumes her a s Chainsawman (can Denji even do that?) It's gonna be pretty dark. But knowing this loving manga, anything can happen and I'm just being wrong.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
chainawman is the best shonen in like 10 years

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/D_Kumii/status/1330367888671322114?s=19

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Right that was the chapter that viz was like "nope this is TOO VIOLENT" to go into the app...so you just had to login to their website.

like did they do that...in japan? was chapter 60 just not in the phonebook that is SJ.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Renzuko posted:

Right that was the chapter that viz was like "nope this is TOO VIOLENT" to go into the app...so you just had to login to their website.

like did they do that...in japan? was chapter 60 just not in the phonebook that is SJ.

Not too violent.

Too horny.

Chapter 59 is the one with the full color lesbian orgy. And it ran as usual in Japan. Might have gone a few steps further than usual, but Shonen Jump has had ecchi content often enough that it was within the technically acceptable boundaries, while other countries have different legal and social standards.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Holy poo poo I blew right through these chapters and never noticed it was missing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Shonen Jump app only does things that are Viz's "T/T+" rating but the website goes up to "M." So you can't use the app to read stuff like Hell's Paradise: Jigokuraku, Golden Kamuy or Fire Punch. I assume this is a restriction mostly so they don't get hassled by Apple/Google. The "M" stuff also doesn't let you read the first/last three chapters for free unless you sign up for an account.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

The Shonen Jump app only does things that are Viz's "T/T+" rating but the website goes up to "M." So you can't use the app to read stuff like Hell's Paradise: Jigokuraku, Golden Kamuy or Fire Punch. I assume this is a restriction mostly so they don't get hassled by Apple/Google. The "M" stuff also doesn't let you read the first/last three chapters for free unless you sign up for an account.

I was wondering why I couldn't get Jigoraku and Platinum End on the app

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Holdup, holdup, so theres entire other series that I can read if I just go to the website and log in instead of using the app?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
ya man, Hell's Paradise is super fun

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Raposa posted:

Holdup, holdup, so theres entire other series that I can read if I just go to the website and log in instead of using the app?

This makes it sound like you haven't read Fire Punch, which means you should read Fire Punch.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Honestly dunno if you gotta feel like chainsaw man does it all much better. Fire punch is a bit eh even after you get over the grossness

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hellbunny posted:

That also ties into Makimas goal and why she might be shaken by Deni coming back to fight her even if he's weaker then Chainsawman: She wants to either control or be consumed by Chainsawman.

But with Denji in control neither of those scenarios will happen. She's being denied everything she's ever wanted and she doesn't have a plan to change that. Her giving him blood at the end of the chapter might suggest that she's gonna try one more time to mentally break him. What happens now is depends entirely on how the story wants to end. If Denji kills her (Kishibe kills/threatens the prime minister and cancels he contract) then that's that. If he consumes her a s Chainsawman (can Denji even do that?) It's gonna be pretty dark. But knowing this loving manga, anything can happen and I'm just being wrong.

One thing I found interesting on review (and I wish I had access to the next volume in Japanese to see the exact terms used) is that when making her offer, Makima said that Denji saved her and was a "good boy". Now, the second part is keeping with the dog analogy on one level, but combined with the first bit, it's somewhat reminiscent of how Aki, Violence, and (most recently) the Weapon Devils describe Makima.

They all worship the ground she walks on because she saved them and is thus "a good person".

Just... interesting.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

https://imgur.com/a/8HWtNy2

Speed translation

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

It's good that we just saw Chainsaw Man walk this off a couple chapters back. Otherwise, I might be worried.

Seriously, though, this is a time when I really wonder about the translation from a volume or so back, because if Makima's powers are determined by her feelings or the feelings of her target impacts a lot of the meaning of this part of the fight.

Also, wow. Makima can throw down. Sure, she died a fair deal, but she killed Denji with her bare hands. She really does have options when it comes to murdering people.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Makima is a toxic fangirl upset at the reboot of her favorite grimdark antihero series.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
That is one cute heart.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
makima's temper is on its last ragged thread and i really hope denji manages to snap it before she finishes pummeling him into the dirt

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Not really sure we needed Makima explicitly spelling out her motivations again but I guess she's really annoyed now.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Spitting in Makima's face with his loving heart in her hand is the coolest thing Denji has done in this whole series

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

BFC posted:

Makima is a toxic fangirl upset at the reboot of her favorite grimdark antihero series.

It's awesome

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

BFC posted:

You know I wonder how many Firepunch fans have been a bit toxic at Fujimoto at CSM's comparative approachability

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

Not really sure we needed Makima explicitly spelling out her motivations again but I guess she's really annoyed now.

That was my first thought... but check out some of her complaints.

"He does not speak".

Except in chapter 1, Denji speaking back to her made her shocked, then very happy.

"Chainsaw Man... does not wear clothes"

Except in chapter 2 and 3, Denji was half naked. It was Makima who clothed him.

As for making a mess of everything, I'll want an official translation to lock it down, but Denji's pretty good at that.

And she didn't seem very surprised when Poochita disrespected her in every way available, or that upset when she thought he was clothed.

...I really don't know what this means in concrete terms, even if there are frameworks it could fit into. But I really feel like Makima's trying to talk herself around as much as Denji.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Makima absolutely was thrilled with Denji at first because she had a way to keep (one of?) the only thing she put on a pedestal on a leash. She's been an obsessive fan-girl for CSM since who knows when. When she first finds Denji it's conveniently in a form where her powers of control can keep him under a leash until CSM was fully powered up and his old self. Denji showing back up is the giant wrench in all of that. It seems that she wants not Chainsaw Man but her perfect idealize version of Chainsaw Man which Denji is very obviously not.

On the flip-side, Denji has not only seemed to accept his role as CSM but also seems to be slowly realizing that even with his feelings for her, he is Makima's equal for all intents and purpose. Chainsaw Man is the only thing Makima sees as greater than herself, which puts him out of her control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Robviously posted:

Makima absolutely was thrilled with Denji at first because she had a way to keep (one of?) the only thing she put on a pedestal on a leash. She's been an obsessive fan-girl for CSM since who knows when. When she first finds Denji it's conveniently in a form where her powers of control can keep him under a leash until CSM was fully powered up and his old self. Denji showing back up is the giant wrench in all of that. It seems that she wants not Chainsaw Man but her perfect idealize version of Chainsaw Man which Denji is very obviously not.

She can't, though. That was part of why she was so excited on meeting Denji. He introduced himself to her by ignoring an order.

She could manipulate him, sure. But she can manipulate anyone, including Chainsaw proper. It's not as easy with other people because, well, Denji is a dirt poor teenage boy with no education and only one friend in his life when Makima meets him, but it's degree, not kind. Meanwhile, he's point blank immune to the power she has over almost everyone else.

Which is, of course, very interesting from the official translation saying that Makima can't control people she thinks of as equals. No matter what she's saying, no matter how she tries, her lack of control is saying that she still thinks of Denji as Chainsaw Man.

Edit: You know, it's funny.

Denji had his heart ripped out, but I think he's the one winning. Or at least, the one losing less.

He's ready to spit in Makima's face. His feelings for her don't slow him down, and we know from the orbital launch that as soon as the cord gets ripped, Denji's right back in the fight.

Meanwhile, Makima's trying everything to get Denji to just give up, and he's just getting Denjier.

The way things are looking, Makima can't really win, and Denji can't really lose.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 28, 2020