Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Mr. Crow posted:

Can somebody explain this to me? I have been thinking about trying Usenet for a while but am on some private trackers so having to pay to get involved and lack of clear instructions around Usenet have been off putting. Im only just seeing we have this thread and OP seems better than anything else ive seen though, is it still up to date?

Am I paying to download 1TB of data only and will need to by more when i hit the limit? Do i need to pay for some other membership to access (i see something about a free trial..) of is it unlimited access till i hit the limit? Would this be a good deal / indexer for a new user?

The OP is pretty out of date -- the basic concepts are there, but the numbers have changed dramatically.

There are two different services you need to have access to in order to easily download files from usenet: a usenet provider and an indexer. The deal that was posted was about a provider. In addition, there are two types of provider accounts -- unlimited monthly and block. Unlimited monthly means you pay every month (often times there's deals for preordering 6 or 12 months, but same difference) and can download an unlimited amount. Block accounts charge by the gigabyte (or terabyte). Think of it as the difference between an unlimited minutes phone plan and prepaid cards. If you download, say, 200 GB a month, the plan that got posted is less than $2/month, because you're only buying a new block every 5 months or so. If you download a lot, or have lots of spikes, unlimited may make more sense. Often times people will get an unlimited plan and a backup block account on a different provider backbone, so that if one network is missing things, there's a chance you can get them from the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
You can quite easily get by with block accounts now days if you don't use much.

That said my costs are summarised as
$3/month unlimited account (paid annually)
An assortment of $10 block accounts that I renew every so often (it's become quite infrequent lately, maybe once every 18 months or more)
$15/year for my indexer + a bunch of free accounts on other indexers.

Given my ISP counts uploads against my monthly 1TB of traffic (or $10/month to avoid that) it's actually cheaper to do this than torrent for free on a ratio-monitored torrent site. With the added bonus of not broadcasting to the world all of your Linux isos.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Here is something I could use some help with. Sometimes Sonarr sends NZBGet an NZB for the entire season of a show. Then it chokes because all of the filenames of the episodes in the NZB are random garbage. How do I either fix what isn't happening so Sonarr can figure out which file is which episode or tell it to stop downloading season packs over individual episodes?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Sub Rosa posted:

Here is something I could use some help with. Sometimes Sonarr sends NZBGet an NZB for the entire season of a show. Then it chokes because all of the filenames of the episodes in the NZB are random garbage. How do I either fix what isn't happening so Sonarr can figure out which file is which episode or tell it to stop downloading season packs over individual episodes?

Rather than hitting "search all monitored" on the season, just hit search on an episode at a time.
I tend to do this anyway when filling old series because it often works better at finding things

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

As for indexers, it's basically just a software (mainly a site) that compiles all the data into something easy to search and download by your usenet provider.

Similar to torrent trackers, some are public, some are private, some require an invite, some require a fee, some will just disappear without notice, etc. I'm not going to list them but the well-known ones are not hard to find and join.

halokiller fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 24, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

i went for it, everyone who posts random cheap blocks are heroes

looks like its usenet express to fill retention but is otherwise its own backbone?

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 24, 2020

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

halokiller posted:

As for indexers, it's basically just a software (mainly a site) that compiles all the data into something easy to search and download by your usenet provider.

While that used to be true the releases have become increasingly more obfuscated. Without this they get very quickly removed via DMCA takedowns.
You can download and run newsnab yourself but without the scripts to de-obfuscate the good posts it won't be anymore effective than using something open like binsearch.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

zer0spunk posted:

i went for it, everyone who posts random cheap blocks are heroes

looks like its usenet express to fill retention but is otherwise its own backbone?

no it is just usenet express reseller with retention or completion not that particularly good.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

SlipperyNipple posted:

no it is just usenet express reseller with retention or completion not that particularly good.

It seems like it was highwinds then switched over to something new that is using UE to build retention. There's some posts on reddit on it by the owner. I'm just happy it's not a hw reseller since that's my primary and I'm dumb enough to check after the fact

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

norp posted:

Rather than hitting "search all monitored" on the season, just hit search on an episode at a time.
I tend to do this anyway when filling old series because it often works better at finding things

I do this mostly now also, I just grab the first episode or two. After they are done then hit the whole season and sonarr will grab them individually.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

zer0spunk posted:

It seems like it was highwinds then switched over to something new that is using UE to build retention. There's some posts on reddit on it by the owner. I'm just happy it's not a hw reseller since that's my primary and I'm dumb enough to check after the fact

yes they switched to UE from highwinds a couple years ago i think. all UE, same IPs same everything.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

SlipperyNipple posted:

yes they switched to UE from highwinds a couple years ago i think. all UE, same IPs same everything.

"NewsgroupDirect Transition Final"

Would like to announce the NewsgroupDirect transition started last night at Midnight ET. We have successfully moved our customer traffic onto our new independent platform.

Our goal is to spin up an entirely new usenet backbone to help increase the diversity of options available to the end user. We are happy to announce that we’ve established transit servers and peering relationships with multiple tier 1 backbones. As of today, we’ve also started feeding our own spool set. We’re relying on a 3rd party (UNE) during the transition period.

From the owner here
https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/c7vkju/newsgroupdirect_transition_final/

I don't know how much progress they've made in a year and if it's still using UE for new articles though

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Anyone having issue with NZBHydra2 just not responding for interactive search but still finding some stuff automatically?

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

NGD is trash. If you want a cheap block plan, Highwinds/NewsHosting reseller, 4400 day retention, check out https://www.thecubenet.com/

$5 per TB and it may be even cheaper on Black Friday. Annual unlimited deals are $30/yr.

Disclaimer: I don't use their service (I use a combo of Eweka and NewsDemon) so I can't comment on completion and speeds, but it should be fine since it's Highwinds.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Former Human posted:

NGD is trash. If you want a cheap block plan, Highwinds/NewsHosting reseller, 4400 day retention, check out https://www.thecubenet.com/

$5 per TB and it may be even cheaper on Black Friday. Annual unlimited deals are $30/yr.

Disclaimer: I don't use their service (I use a combo of Eweka and NewsDemon) so I can't comment on completion and speeds, but it should be fine since it's Highwinds.

nice more options cant hurt

honestly 7 bucks for a 2nd fill server wasnt a big deal, with how little i need the fills blocks last years

obfustication made fill servers less of a huge need in my experience, it's nice compared to years ago

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
My current stack is Radarr/Sonarr/Jackett/NZBGet and plex - I'm wondering if there is a better setup these days? Was eying Emby, but I am a PlexPass subscriber and my wife is used to the experience. More interested in seeing what the hotness is in download tools these days.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Not sure if this is the best thread for this question but I can't tell what's up with NZBHydra.

First off, everything works fine, I just can't seem to update it. I'm using UnRaid. For UnRaid I ran check updates, and even tried to force updates, looked for a newer docker container etc and don't see one.

In NZBHydra itself though it says I am pretty out of date. How do I update this?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

That Works posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread for this question but I can't tell what's up with NZBHydra.

First off, everything works fine, I just can't seem to update it. I'm using UnRaid. For UnRaid I ran check updates, and even tried to force updates, looked for a newer docker container etc and don't see one.

In NZBHydra itself though it says I am pretty out of date. How do I update this?

Are you running the linuxserver/hydra2 container? If so, they stopped updating it at 2.19.6 and switched maintenance to linuxserver/nzbhydra2. If you run linuxserver/nzbhydra2:latest it should catch back up to the current version.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Gyshall posted:

My current stack is Radarr/Sonarr/Jackett/NZBGet and plex - I'm wondering if there is a better setup these days? Was eying Emby, but I am a PlexPass subscriber and my wife is used to the experience. More interested in seeing what the hotness is in download tools these days.

Pretty much the only thing I can think of is making sure you're using v3 Radarr and Sonarr. The rest is pretty much the same - IMHO if Plex works for you there isn't much reason to switch to Emby/etc..

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Are you running the linuxserver/hydra2 container? If so, they stopped updating it at 2.19.6 and switched maintenance to linuxserver/nzbhydra2. If you run linuxserver/nzbhydra2:latest it should catch back up to the current version.

Thank you for this, no telling how long it would've taken me to realize this on my own.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Gyshall posted:

I prefer Emby over plex, I have a lifetime membership for both but havn't used Plex in a long time. They are both pretty similar now however so probably easiest to stick with whatever.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Dicty Bojangles posted:

That did the trick, thanks!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Pretty much the only thing I can think of is making sure you're using v3 Radarr and Sonarr. The rest is pretty much the same - IMHO if Plex works for you there isn't much reason to switch to Emby/etc..

What tags are you using for v3? I just noticed I was using sonarr:preview but radarr:latest. Checking the tags on dockerhub I don't see any static tag for v3 on radarr other than 'nightly' which I assume I wouldn't want.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Hughlander posted:

What tags are you using for v3? I just noticed I was using sonarr:preview but radarr:latest. Checking the tags on dockerhub I don't see any static tag for v3 on radarr other than 'nightly' which I assume I wouldn't want.

radarr v3 graduated to nightly, so you want that until it goes mainstream. And sonarr:preview is still the active v3 channel.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Can I get a sanity check on this Sonarr enhancement request I put in a while back? I don't mind anyone saying no to my request (it's free and it's their voluntary time and all that) but I suspect the person who closed it may have misunderstood it.
https://github.com/Sonarr/Sonarr/issues/3443

I'm suggesting that the "Upgrades Allowed" checkbox that is already in [Quality Profiles] and [Language Profiles] also be included in [Release Profiles]. I don't know how involved it is technically, but seems a basic request logically and thematically to grow that behaviour for one extra example.

I just want files to stop being upgraded to match a higher-scoring release profile once I've got a file I'm already happy with (without turning monitoring off for individual episodes before it happens). Maybe there's an easier way, if I'm being dumb please let me know.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
DrunkenSlug has started their black friday promotion, 3 free months when buying a year with PayPal, 6 when buying with bitcoin.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

gabensraum posted:

Can I get a sanity check on this Sonarr enhancement request I put in a while back? I don't mind anyone saying no to my request (it's free and it's their voluntary time and all that) but I suspect the person who closed it may have misunderstood it.
https://github.com/Sonarr/Sonarr/issues/3443

I'm suggesting that the "Upgrades Allowed" checkbox that is already in [Quality Profiles] and [Language Profiles] also be included in [Release Profiles]. I don't know how involved it is technically, but seems a basic request logically and thematically to grow that behaviour for one extra example.

I just want files to stop being upgraded to match a higher-scoring release profile once I've got a file I'm already happy with (without turning monitoring off for individual episodes before it happens). Maybe there's an easier way, if I'm being dumb please let me know.

Can you give a (fake) example of a release you'd be happy with, and a release it would then upgrade to? Are you saying like 1080p Webrip to 1080p AMZN? In that case, couldn't you just weight them the same?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
edit: looks like there was some discussion on the sonarr forum about it https://forums.sonarr.tv/t/stop-after-cutoff-is-met-and-ignore-preferred-tags/26631/4
It's not a perfect solution but a workaround may be to prevent all upgrades for quality profiles, too. Which may have been what some of you were suggesting, sorry.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Can you give a (fake) example of a release you'd be happy with, and a release it would then upgrade to? Are you saying like 1080p Webrip to 1080p AMZN? In that case, couldn't you just weight them the same?

Thanks, yeah.

Release profiles have a section called preferred terms. I use it to prefer files containing the term "x265", and also the names of a number of rip groups I like. The more of these terms are present, the higher the file is weighted when searched for and downloaded.

This is great for initial downloads. The problem is when I have already downloaded a file that I'm happy with, and another file appears later that has a higher score. There's no way to cut that off, so I need to ensure I've unmonitored the episode after it has downloaded to prevent it "upgrading".

So to answer your question, I have the file:

Cool.Show.S01E01.1080p.x264.mkv

And if any of these come later it gets upgraded:
Cool.Show.S01E01.1080p.x265.mkv
Cool.Show.S01E01.1080p.x264.RipGroup.mkv

And if this comes along it would upgrade even those previous two, since it finds two preferred terms:
Cool.Show.S01E02.1080p.x265.RipGroup.mkv

It's very nice and handy functionality, but I only care about initial download, I don't need to have it upgraded if it finds better later.

As I say in the ticket, there's a mechanism to prevent quality profiles and language profiles being used for upgrades (a checkbox), but there's not one for release profiles, and I think that's inconsistent. A couple of other commenters on the ticket agreed it would be nice.

gabensraum fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 22, 2020

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Former Human posted:

It's more expensive for black Friday apparently lol. $6/TB

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
This is my current setup after cancelling Supernews today because I felt it wasn't competitive value for money:

Are there any Black Friday deals going on with backbones I don't already have an account with? I'm not sure I really need a replacement for Supernews but if there's something cheap and well regarded out there I wouldn't be opposed.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Any good VPN deals today? I saw PIA but don't know about them.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

Incessant Excess posted:

This is my current setup after cancelling Supernews today because I felt it wasn't competitive value for money:

Are there any Black Friday deals going on with backbones I don't already have an account with? I'm not sure I really need a replacement for Supernews but if there's something cheap and well regarded out there I wouldn't be opposed.

ViperNews has 50% off blocks, Usenet Prime has 4TB blocks for $16 and usenetfire has smaller blocks on sale.

ViperNews is an independent provider and the other two resell UsenetExpress.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

sedative posted:

ViperNews has 50% off blocks, Usenet Prime has 4TB blocks for $16 and usenetfire has smaller blocks on sale.

Thanks, picked up a Vipernews block because an independent backbone can't hurt.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

sedative posted:

Huh, that Viper deal for unlimited @ 1.97 a month seems like a great deal too, no? If they are independent then I presume less takedowns?

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

Bank posted:

Huh, that Viper deal for unlimited @ 1.97 a month seems like a great deal too, no? If they are independent then I presume less takedowns?

It's limited to 10mbit

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Not really that great when Newsdemon is offering 12 months for $24 for unlimited speed.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Isn't Viper only 500 days retention? If you're looking for older articles that's pretty bad.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Ah yeah thanks folks. I have a UNS account already @ $20/year unlimited so I'll just stick with that. I haven't had many issues with the stuff I put on watch so I'm all good there.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Was looking at the Ombi that was recommended for folks requesting items for your Plex server. Quick question, since it’s self-hosted, I’ll need to open up a port for them to access, correct? Since I’m using Unraid and docker, I do not think it’s that much of a security risk and can open up just that port to my machine. I’m generally very conservative about forwarding ports to my UnRaid box so looking to make sure I fully grok it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

TraderStav posted:

Was looking at the Ombi that was recommended for folks requesting items for your Plex server. Quick question, since it’s self-hosted, I’ll need to open up a port for them to access, correct? Since I’m using Unraid and docker, I do not think it’s that much of a security risk and can open up just that port to my machine. I’m generally very conservative about forwarding ports to my UnRaid box so looking to make sure I fully grok it.

You have 2 options. Nginx reverse proxy or traefik. I prefer Traefik because you can auto forward to dockers based on labels. This is even more powerful with a wildcard domain and cloud flare.

If you want to get really safe you can host Ombi on a 5$ digital ocean droplet and only allow that IP to connect into your ports.