Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Is it gory as poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Is it gory as poo poo?

Yea, but the overall quantity isn't up to the level as Night Comes For Us. It's very very violent though.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I got really bored about half way through the Night Comes for Us. The fight scenes were too long and had the same beats every time with a lovely story in between that I absolutely did not care about.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I tried watching it and didn't make it past twenty minutes (because the audio cut out and I couldn't be added to find a better version)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can definitely see how The Night Comes For Us could be a bit one-note if you don't enjoy the characters. It was easy for me to do that because it has the guys from the Raid movies and seeing Joe Taslim in a lead role was something I was really looking forward to.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah I just like all the raid guys. The characters were pretty generic but to be it didnt matter because I came for the fights. And they delivered. Its not as good as both Raid films are. But thats OK.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Whoever on here recommended Rogue, the 'Megan Fox fights African lions' movie which, surprisingly isn't a joke film from the opening credits of Tropic Thunder 2, you forgot the best part: A rich white woman spends five minutes berating a black African man whos children were killed, yelling at him about how hard the civil war has been on her. At first I was thinking it was kind of like 'The Wild Geese' if the Wild Geese had less terrible politics (white afrikaner is the one who needs to be convinced the plot's african leader is good) and then, boom, the movie's terrible politics arrive.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 26, 2020

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I'd like to thank this thread for introducing me to Scott Adkins. He fuckin rules.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I still need to see Legacy of Lies. He's also got a sci-fi action movie coming out next month on one of the major streaming services, I think Netflix.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Basebf555 posted:

He's also got a sci-fi action movie coming out next month on one of the major streaming services, I think Netflix.

Well just let me check the IMDB!

The Intergalactic Adventures of Max Cloud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqQZRSploe0

/imagine me looking over the top of my monitor like a grumpy Tommy Lee Jones

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Basebf555 posted:

I still need to see Legacy of Lies. He's also got a sci-fi action movie coming out next month on one of the major streaming services, I think Netflix.

It's a lot of fun. I can't believe he has another movie coming out already, he's taken the title of hardest working man in show business from James brown

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I'd like to thank this thread for introducing me to Scott Adkins. He fuckin rules.

Same, as of tonight. Accident Man has been an unexpected treat.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Finally got a cheap-enough copy of Blooshot. Here is my review:

1. The CGI is as awesome as I thought it would be.
2. Two characters went on rants about how cliche things were being, which helped dilute the comic-bookness a little.

It was fun and silly and had a sufficient number of explosions. I laughed a lot. I would rate it as worth at least half of my $6 purchase, but not worth the $25 they wanted upon first release.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Saw possibly the best and possibly the worst action movies of the year in a small timeframe.

Deliver Us from Evil (2020) - 3.5/5
Deliver Us from Evil is worth going out of your way to see simply because Jung-jae Lee is one of the coolest-looking villains in any movie. He is such a badass in this. AND he does a lot of Knife Stuff. So I got exactly what I wanted out of the movie.

All of the action is very good, perhaps only slightly over-edited in spots. There's the aforementioned knife stuff, guns, blood.

Plot-wise, this sits in a weird place where you have two different stories that could be their own movie running on the same rail. The better of the two is the one with Jung-jae Lee's Ray hunting, but Jung-min Hwang is also good in his role.

Boss Level (2020) - 4/5
Action Movie Groundhog Day and it totally rules. The action is over the top in the best way, Frank Grillo is great, and you even get a little bit of a good heart in the story.

There are so many elements where the movie could have tipped over into annoying or corny territory but Carnahan knows exactly how to ride the line and he kept me entertained the entire time.

Title doesn't make any sense and the billing order is not necessarily representative of screen time, but that's all marketing. If you feel like you can enjoy an action movie at all, you should go out of your way to see Boss Level.

Hard Kill (2020) - 0.5/5, Netflix
Many times this year, I've watched an action movie on the level of Hard Kill, dropped a one-star review of it, wrote a few words about why it sucked, and moved on with my life.

Hard Kill is in the same ballpark as those. The movie looks like poo poo, it was shot in a single location, and Bruce Willis was sitting down the entire movie. All the gun and explosion effects are CG and they look awful, not a single practical effect here.

The reason that Hard Kill gets knocked down to my coveted, rare "lowest possible review score" level is the insidious premise. The character that they're defending is a tech billionaire and the "terrorist madman" villain has a goal, stated multiple times in the movie, of using the "super AI" MacGuffin to destroy the financial system of the world and reset everyone to zero.

He's the bad guy for this!? That's something that I literally want to happen and I know it would make the world a better place. I'm on his side, he's the hero of the movie!

So, yeah, this movie doesn't just regular suck, it super sucks.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
The old Janus Maneuver. Goldeneye is still my favorite Bond(always love your first), but I've gotta side with Trevelyan, too

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Checked out Legacy of Lies over the weekend. In typical Adkins fashion he does succeed in carrying the movie, although like many Adkins movies it does also fall short of greatness. It starts strong but then kinda tails off around the midway point and then it also doesn't really go out with a bang the way I would've hoped.

Still, it's great to see Adkins get real lead roles where he does some acting(he's actually a very solid actor), and there's enough action to make the movie an easy recommendation for Adkins fans.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I need to watch Accident Man and Avengement again.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Jiu Jitsu was just baffling. I think it would be okay as a youtube video, but doesn't cut it as a real movie.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
December Action Movie Streaming Update
Tubi - Hitman
HBO - The Crow, Demolition Man, Hot Fuzz
Hoopla - Universal Soldier 2/3 TV Movies, Chick Fight, The Invincible Dragon (Anderson Silva)
Netflix - The 2nd, Mosul

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

fenix down posted:

Jiu Jitsu was just baffling. I think it would be okay as a youtube video, but doesn't cut it as a real movie.

I felt the same way about Kung Fury. It was a decent funny trailer, but the long form version of it felt like it was made by dudes who never saw a movie made in the eighties just relying on pop culture stereotypes

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Narzack posted:

I felt the same way about Kung Fury. It was a decent funny trailer, but the long form version of it felt like it was made by dudes who never saw a movie made in the eighties just relying on pop culture stereotypes

That's because it's exactly that. Much has been made of the fact that the writer/director wasn't even alive during the 80s, but if he'd actually researched what any of the poo poo he was "parodying" was actually like instead of relying on stereotypes that wouldn't have been an issue and the movie wouldn't be garbage.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the establishing shot of the crime ridden city with massive explosions going on was a pretty good gag tho

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Narzack posted:

Kung Fury has a lot of really good gags (Hitler shooting through the phone is amazing, but also goes on too long) but is in no way actually good.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Ironically thye stole that gag from Danger 5 which had a lot of the same issues in it's second season.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

this thread just made watch most of Kung Fury for the first time, drat shame, I was with the aesthetic for the first couple minutes, until it was made clear that it was a jumble of irony jokes that weren't particularly funny

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

David D. Davidson posted:

Ironically thye stole that gag from Danger 5 which had a lot of the same issues in it's second season.

I really couldn't get into Danger 5. I gave it a good go, but good gags were stuck in a poorly paced show with a lot of dead space

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

I really couldn't get into Danger 5. I gave it a good go, but good gags were stuck in a poorly paced show with a lot of dead space

did you get to S2

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Shageletic posted:

did you get to S2

No. I'm not even sure i finished season 1.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
In fairness to Kung Fury, it’s not totally botching the 80s, but partially botching the early 1990s. The specific references are to stuff like Mortal Kombat, the Ninja Turtles movie, and the Dinosaurs sitcom.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Has anyone seen Triple Frontier?

It's like a latter day collection of "that guys' with Ben Affleck, Oscar Isaac, Charlie Hunnam, Garrett Hedlund and Pedro Pascal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo3yRLLrXQA

Not quite as stacked as Extreme Prejudice, but close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwNydRob4pI

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have, it's incredibly weak. Netflix just never can seem to put together a better-than-average (at best!) original movie. Like it's incredibly forgettable, the action sequences aren't really all that inspired, and the ending just feels rather empty and unearned.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Taintrunner posted:

I have, it's incredibly weak. Netflix just never can seem to put together a better-than-average (at best!) original movie. Like it's incredibly forgettable, the action sequences aren't really all that inspired, and the ending just feels rather empty and unearned.

Did they do Mosul (2020)? I really liked that even if there wasn't as much action I expected

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mastershakeman posted:

Did they do Mosul (2020)? I really liked that even if there wasn't as much action I expected

Russo Brothers produced it, same as Extraction, so I guess so? Funny because that movie whips the llama's rear end.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Taintrunner posted:

Russo Brothers produced it, same as Extraction, so I guess so? Funny because that movie whips the llama's rear end.

The interludes between action, especially with the iranian colonel, were so much better than anything in extraction. I somehow cared way more about these swat guys than hemsworth

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mastershakeman posted:

The interludes between action, especially with the iranian colonel, were so much better than anything in extraction. I somehow cared way more about these swat guys than hemsworth

It's a really simple thing, isn't it. Right from the get-go you get introduced to the stakes of the conflict and just how desperate the fighting is. There's no like woo-woo hyper-badass completely detached from the rest of society bullshit, the SWAT team you meet right from the beginning all clearly have incredibly personal stakes in the matter, and they even bother to stop and take a rest and actually spend a quiet moment together, even if it's just watching some lovely soap opera, listening to gangster rap, and smoking some hookah. Which hey, those are all things we've done in our own lives to relax.

The characters have qualities to them that either you share or someone you know shares, and it makes it so much easier to relate to them, and get invested in their struggle - kicking the fascist pieces of poo poo out of their home, against all odds. They're relatable, and it's what makes the characters sympathetic when something bad happens to one of them.

As much as I love Scott Adkins, I feel like that's the big sticking point of a lot his movies - most people who watch his movies aren't ex-special forces or know someone that is an elite Tier-One operator, so it's harder to really care about his character, which he gets often typecast as.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Netflix needs to stop fooling around doing production deals with the Obama's or Shonda Rimes or that awful TV musical guy and do one with Gareth Evans (and then one with the Banshee/Warrior guy)

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Triple Frontier was really boring.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Triple Frontier was really boring.

yeah, it really was. It felt like a good script that they forgot to film the good parts of. A two line bit from the script saying something like 'the team hike through the mountains' gets a two second scene in the film where they hike through the mountains and then say 'wow, we sure hiked through the mountains'

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

brocked posted:

Netflix needs to stop fooling around doing production deals with the Obama's or Shonda Rimes or that awful TV musical guy and do one with Gareth Evans (and then one with the Banshee/Warrior guy)

They already did one with Evans, Apostle. I didn’t like it that much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
That's just a movie buy-those other folks got deals to produce a group of series, which is what I'm wishing for