Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
So somebody I know who is definitely NOT ME has a laptop they paid nearly $3k (CAD) for a year and a half ago. The graphics performed better than their last desktop, but it didn't seem to be much better, which seemed odd because the GPU was supposed to be a powerhouse.

Before: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/35433834

Note that it's using the Intel UHD 630, when the laptop has an RTX 2060. Right-click desktop, go Nvidia Control Panel -> Manage 3D settings -> Global Settings -> Preferred graphics processor, change from "Auto-select" to "High-performance NVIDIA processor"

After: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/35434293

Apparently, with most laptops, the power settings will make the "Auto-select" always choose the integrated graphics, which is loving bonkers!

So yeah, a year and a half with lovely graphics performance because of a dumb default setting. How are people supposed to know about this?

In the past two weeks, I've discovered four people I know with laptops set up this way. In each case there was a dramatic improvement after the settings change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I prefer my graphics integrated, if they're dedicated they're too selfish and refuse to cooperate with the whole. I will not turn on dedicated graphics card.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I prefer my graphics integrated, if they're dedicated they're too selfish and refuse to cooperate with the whole. I will not turn on dedicated graphics card.

then you are already lost

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
just get a new apple m1 machine, da graphics are right on da chip! yowza!

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

My laptop is at least 10 years old cause I remember I had to replace the keyboard when I spilled gin all over it while watching the opening ceremonies for the London Olympics. Am I okay from the graphic hacks?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Sounds like your laptop has segregated graphics, that's hosed op

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
tossing around the idea of building a new rig. been 4 years now. water cooled? definitely RGB lights everywhere. in my 30s now. gotta up my game, especially if i bring back a lady to my apartment. im confident girls secretly love sick gaming rigs

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Chinatown posted:

tossing around the idea of building a new rig. been 4 years now. water cooled? definitely RGB lights everywhere. in my 30s now. gotta up my game, especially if i bring back a lady to my apartment. im confident girls secretly love sick gaming rigs

I tried finding those like chrome babe outlines that you see on 18-wheeler mudflaps to put on my rig. I couldn’t find any so I bought the mud flaps and cut them out and put them on my Compaq computer. The babes are definitely into it, though!

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
your laptop is going to melt through the floor of your home op

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Sid Vicious posted:

then you are already lost

Excuse me, lord Vicious, but, is this a starwars quote/ref?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

The Bananana posted:

Excuse me, lord Vicious, but, is this a starwars quote/ref?

lol probably i say it a lot

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dick with dedicated balls? Check to see if they're being used...

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
all my balls are used for these days is storing piss

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Ngl if someone tells me they don’t want their graphics integrated I give them the side-eye. That’s some Jim Crow poo poo imo

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

SubnormalityStairs posted:

In the past two weeks, I've discovered four people I know with laptops set up this way. In each case there was a dramatic improvement after the settings change.

Yeah like in 2012 my friend bought himself a not-quite gaming laptop, but one that had its own dGPU which should have played a lot of games. For a few weeks we couldnt figure out why minecraft of all things was running at <20FPS on med-low settings. Turns out it was the same setting OP. It was supposed to be intelligent and "know" when to use the proper GPU, but it never activated with any proper game.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the power profile setting has hosed me over before but never quite as bad as that

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Work gave me a laptop with a loving Quadro that I can't use because the drivers aren't whitelisted. I tried to have the help desk fix it, but the security software uninstalled the drivers they tried to put on. It's been this way for nearly a year.

My Ultrawide is being driven by the integrated graphics and it's capped at 50Hz. It's pretty noticeable.

azurite fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 30, 2020

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

my EX-GPU is being used by the same dumpster company as my ex to dump out her old GPU but now the GeForce 3090 is visiting mu current GPU, even staying some nights. Do i need to be worried?

edit: he even said he had PS8s????

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Oh, cool. Now we have people making "teh randome FYAD" posts in GBS. This poo poo sucks, OP. :2004: called, it wants its posters back

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

forbidden dialectics posted:

Oh, cool. Now we have people making "teh randome FYAD" posts in GBS. This poo poo sucks, OP. :2004: called, it wants its posters back

who the gently caress uses teh anymore??? talk about a self own lmao, teh in 2020 what a clown

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I'd go back to 2004 if I could

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I dedicate my life to this GPU.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
My least favorite default laptop graphic setting is the one that constantly changes the brightness depending on what is displayed on screen and required repeatedly uninstalling the drivers to de-activate, even though there was a button in the control panel that purported to turn it off. It was so distracting.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

What in the gently caress is this garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Meh. I like a little stutter in my hentai