Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Elviscat posted:

I'm also super quick to condemn trans people who join the military because it's often the only way for them to survive under the super lovely American System we all labor under. So that's super cool of you to just dismiss them entirely.

murdering yemani children is my self care for dysphoria 😍😘❤️👍🚸

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

T-man posted:

murdering yemani children is my self care for dysphoria 😍😘❤️👍🚸

There's no ethical anything under capitalism so this isn't unique.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The Navy are going to put my kid though college and pay her for it vs my kid working minimum wage In the amazon warehouse 1/4 a mile away because we are free school meals, government housing level poor and I can’t afford to send her to college. .

Tough call but nice for the college educated middle classes to share their insight, most appreciated.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Push El Burrito posted:

But there's still a gradient of ethics, right? Or is there no difference between buying from an unethical corporation and going out to shoot foreign brown people yourself?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

joining the imperial war machine because FYGM anyone whose house I'm either exploding or helping others to explode. hell, given the long histories of third-genderism, you're probably bombing poorer, less supported trans people for the marginal amount of care the navy provides.

having talked to a lot of veterans, you either rationalize it into hoorah broing out or you become a broken shell of a person haunted by what military life does to erase your natural human empathy. i hope your daughter does the first.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I 👁 was shooting 🔫 heroin 🚬 and reading 📖 “The Fountainhead” in the front 💦😜🔻 seat 💺👁🗑 of my privately 🔒 owned 😎 police 👮😠😡 cruiser 🚢 when 🍑 a call ☎📞 came 💦 in. I 👁 put 😏 a quarter 🕒 in the radio 📻 to activate 🙅😲😵 it. It was the chief 👦🍆👀.

“Bad news 📰, detective 🅱🅾™. We got 🍸 a situation.”

“What? Is the mayor 🤡😳💦 trying 😈 to ban 😤🚫🙅‍♂️ trans 🌈 fats 🐋 again?”

“Worse. Somebody 👤 just stole 😤 four 4️⃣ hundred 💯 and forty-seven million 💯 dollars’ worth 💰 of bitcoins.”

The heroin 💉 needle 🍆💉 practically ❤ fell 🍂 out of my arm 💪. “What kind 🙁 of monster 👹 would do something 😅 like 💦👍 that? Bitcoins are the ultimate 🙌💯🙇 currency 💰: virtual 🔥, anonymous 😮🚫👹, stateless. They represent 🇺🇸 true 💯 economic 💵 freedom 🙌, not subject 📐 to arbitrary manipulation 💯😎✊ by any government 😓🙄. Do we have any leads?”

“Not yet 😇. But 🍑 mark 😡 my words 📓: we’re going 🏃 to figure 💪 out who did this and we’re going 👉 to take 👊 them down 👇⬇ … provided 🤔💭 someone 👤 pays 💰 us 👨 a fair 👒👉 market 📰 rate 💰 to do so.”

“Easy, chief,” I 👁 said 💬👱. “Any rate 💰 the market 📈 offers 💸 is, by definition 📚, fair.”

He 👨 laughed 😂. “That’s why 🚮❓ you’re the best 🏆 I 👥 got 🉐, Lisowski. Now you 🤔👉 get 🉐 out there and find 👀 those bitcoins.”

“Don’t worry,” I 👁 said 💬. “I’m on 🔛 it.”

I 👥 put 😏 a quarter 💰 in the siren 🚨. Ten 🔟 minutes ⏰ later 🕑, I 👁🙌🏻 was on 🔛 the scene 🕑. It was a normal 😐 office 🏢 building 👷🚧, strangled 🌬 on 🔛 all 💯 sides 👈👉 by public 🙈⛱😳 sidewalks 🏘. I 👁 hopped 🐸 over 🔁 them and went 💨 inside 💠.

“Home Depot™ Presents 🎁 the Police!®” I 👁 said 💬, flashing 💂🎆⚡ my badge 💪🏼💁🏼 and my gun 🔫 and a small 👌 picture 🖼 of Ron 💁‍♂️ Paul 👽. “Nobody move 📦 unless 🆒💁 you 👈 want 😋 to!” They didn’t.

“Now, which one 👺☝❗ of you 👈 punks 🎸 is going 🏃🏇 to pay 👾💸 me to investigate 👀 this crime?” No 😣 one 👺☝ spoke 🗣 up ☝.

“Come on,” I 👁 said 👱🏿💬🙈. “Don’t you 👈 all 💯 understand 🤔 that the protection 🛡 of private 🕵⁉🚫 property 🎮🚣🏻⛽ is the foundation 🤓🔍🤯 of all 😤 personal 👨 liberty?”

It didn’t seem 👀 like 😄 they did.

“Seriously, guys 💪👦. Without ❌😖 a strong 💪🏋️‍♀️ economic 📈 motivator 🤷🏼‍♀️, I’m just going 🏃 to stand 🕴🏻 here and not solve 👍🅱 this case 💼. Cash 💵 is fine 😰💦, but 🍑 I 👥 prefer 🍞 being paid 💧 in gold 💰 bullion or autographed Penn 🖊 Jillette posters.”

Nothing ❌. These people 👫 were stonewalling me. It almost 💸 seemed 🚹🚤 like 👍 they didn’t care 💅 that a fortune 💰 in computer 🖥 money 🤑 invented 🧪🔧 to buy 💸 drugs 💊 was missing 🧦.

I 👁 figured 🧠 I 👁 could wait 🚏 them out. I 👁 lit 🔥 several 💯 cigarettes 🚬 indoors 🚪👈. A pregnant 👶😇 lady 👩 coughed 😷🤧, and I 👁 told 🗣 her 👸♀ that secondhand 👊 smoke 💨😜 is a myth 🐲. Just then, a man 👦 in glasses 🥃💪🏼🏇🏼 made 👑 a break 💥 for it.

“Subway™ Eat 👅 Fresh ⛲ and Freeze ❄, Scumbag!®” I 👁 yelled 🗣.

Too late 🕛. He 👥 was already 👋 out the front 🔝 door 🔑. I 👁 went 🏃 after 2️⃣ him 👨🏾.

“Stop right ✔ there!” I 👁 yelled 🗣 as I 👁 ran 🔒🏣♍. He 👨 was faster 🏃💨 than me because I 👁 always 🔥 try 😈 to avoid 👋 stepping 🚶 on 🔛 public 🙈⛱😳 sidewalks 🛄. Our country 🇺🇸 needs 🙏🏼 a private-sidewalk voucher system 🗺, but 🍑, thanks 🙏 to the incestuous 🤢 interplay between 👉👈 our corrupt 😈👀 federal 🇺🇸 government 💩 and the public-sidewalk lobby 🤪, it will never 🚫 happen 😱.

I 👁 was losing 🥉 him 👴. “Listen, I’ll pay 💰 you 👈 to stop!” I 👁 yelled 🗣. “What would you 👈 consider 👈 an appropriate 🙅🏼 price 💰💸 point 📍 for stopping ✋? I’ll offer 📴 you 👉 a thirteenth of an ounce 🐐 of gold 🏆🥇🏅 and a gently 👅 worn 😥 ‘Bob Barr ‘08’ extra-large long-sleeved men’s T-shirt!”

He 👨 turned 😍. In his 💦 hand 🤲 was a revolver 🤠🔫 that the Constitution 📜 said 🗣🙍‍♂️ he 👥 had every ☝ right ✔ to own. He 👥 fired 🔥 at me and missed 😢. I 👁 pulled ✊🏻 my own gun 🔫, put 😏 a quarter 💰 in it, and fired 💥🔫🔥 back 🔙. The bullet 🤷🏽‍♀️ lodged 🏠 in a U.S.P.S 💌📧📫. mailbox 📫 less ➖ than a foot 🦶🏼 from his 👦🏿🥶💦 head 💆. I 👁 shot 🔫 the mailbox 📫 again ❌😬, on 🔛 purpose 😄.

“All right 👌, all 💯👺 right!” the man 👨 yelled 😡🗣, throwing 🤽‍♀️ down ⬇ his 👦💦 weapon 🔫🗡. “I give 🎁 up ☝, cop 👮! I 👁 confess 🚇🚪🌘: I 👁 took 👫 the bitcoins.”

“Why’d you 👉🏻🧑🏻 do it?” I 👁 asked 🙏, as I 👁 slapped 👋🏼 a pair 💏 of Oikos™ Greek 🇬🇷➿ Yogurt 🥛🥄 Presents ✌🙌 Handcuffs® on 🔛 the guy 👦🏼👦🏽.

“Because I 👁 was afraid.”

“Afraid?”

“Afraid of an economic 💵 future 📅 free 🆓 from the pernicious 👼🏻 meddling of central 🏪 bankers,” he 👨 said 💬. “I’m a central 💖 banker.”

I 👁 wanted 😍 to coldcock the guy 👨🚹. Years 🗓 ago 🔙, a central 💖 banker 💦 killed ☠ my partner 👭👬👫. Instead 🚔, I 👁 shook 🤝 my head 💆.

“Let this be a message 💬 to all 💯 your 👈 central-banker friends 👫👬👭 out on 🔛 the street,” I 👁 said 💬. “No matter 😱 how many 👬 bitcoins you 👉 steal 💰, you’ll never 👎🙅❌ take 💅 away 😐 the dream 😴 of an open 👐 society 👥 based ✊👌 on 🔛 the principles 👑 of personal 👨 and economic 💵 freedom.”

He 🏻👥 nodded 🌝 because he 👥 knew 👓 I 👁 was right ✔. Then he 👥 swiped his 💦 credit 💳 card 💳 to pay 💰🤛 me for arresting ❗ him 👴.

the worst part about this is i thought fountain head was an asimov book and i had to google why asimov is being refrenced in this. its ayn rand noone else make my mistake

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Push El Burrito posted:

Come on friend. Just check rap sheet, check post history and ignore.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Castaign posted:

Come on friend. Just check rap sheet, check post history and ignore.

"i need a reason to not think about her points" is both shorter and less dishonest.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose there is at least the possibility that the royal navy will not have the capacity to kill anyone other than by accidentally sinking one of their own ships at the rate we're going.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
PYF is the place to fix world problems

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

T-man posted:

"i need a reason to not think about her points" is both shorter and less dishonest.

yes, your consistently excellent "points" that certainly don't read as gimmick trolling

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Castaign posted:

yes, your consistently excellent "points" that certainly don't read as gimmick trolling

she's not trolling, she just has very firm political views and is also a bad poster

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You're probably less likely to kill anyone* in the navy than you are working an office job and commuting into a busy city every day.

* yourself excepted

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

StillFullyTerrible posted:

she's not trolling, she just has very firm political views and is also a bad poster

I am in full agreement with at least one third of your assessment.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

snergle posted:

the worst part about this is i thought fountain head was an asimov book and i had to google why asimov is being refrenced in this. its ayn rand noone else make my mistake

You were thinking Foundation. Which is apparently getting a tv show.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My kid is aiming to work on a minesweeper in the Arctic which would base her in Scotland, because they are the only one with girl facilities, so it’s highly unlikely she’s going to go all iron patriot on kiddies.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I think it's important to note that the military-industrial complex wants to keep people poor, desperate, and disenfranchised in the country they're supposed to 'support' because it's the only way they can consistently recruit. It's a form of abusive exploitation even if you end up doing stuff like minesweeping or just doing engineering work on naval ships, but like a lot of things, the fault lies a lot more with the 'class' of officers, generals, and military leaders than the people who enlisted out of desperation, even if plenty of enlisted people can also be assholes.

I'm coming at this from the POV of someone from an enlisted naval family, though. I've seen how the complex chewed up and spit out my brothers, and now the stuff they go through with the VA because warmongering capitalists only care about people who can still be used up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

learnincurve posted:

My kid is aiming to work on a minesweeper in the Arctic which would base her in Scotland, because they are the only one with girl facilities, so it’s highly unlikely she’s going to go all iron patriot on kiddies.

Absolutely do not trust the recruiter about anything they say about where your daughter is likely to end up stationed

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/shoe0nhead/status/1332791858498596869?s=20

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Skwirl posted:

Absolutely do not trust the recruiter about anything they say about where your daughter is likely to end up stationed

I can tell you from experience this is absolutely correct. I'm not telling you to stop her from joining but don't set your hopes high based off what a recruiter tells you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Skwirl posted:

But

high school guidance counselor posted:

if you join the air guard you'll never see combat if you get deployed until after you finish college

do you mean the guidance counselor was telling me a lie?!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

1. why are there mines up there in the first place
2. how many people died from the mines up there
3. I'm an expert at minesweeper.exe and it still seems pretty drat dangerous and mentally unhealthy to be at constant risk of death.

also lol that people think having actual political beliefs that shape how i view the world and the actions of those in the world = trolling. :v

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Len posted:

But

do you mean the guidance counselor was telling me a lie?!

I don't have personal experience, but I've met several people that were lied to fairly flagrantly by recruiters.

I think Joe Biden is less likely to get us into another shooting war than 4 more years of Trump, but if there's a new conflict the size of the initial Iraq invasion than likely whatever they told you goes straight out the window, even if they thought they were telling you the truth at the time (which is itself a big if)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Skwirl posted:

I don't have personal experience, but I've met several people that were lied to fairly flagrantly by recruiters.

I think Joe Biden is less likely to get us into another shooting war than 4 more years of Trump, but if there's a new conflict the size of the initial Iraq invasion than likely whatever they told you goes straight out the window, even if they thought they were telling you the truth at the time (which is itself a big if)

This comes to mind
https://twitter.com/LolOverruled/status/1314217311088390145

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know that there are any mines but about 15% of the RN is made of minesweepers because of budget cuts so it may be that they don't have anything else to sail around in :v:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

learnincurve posted:

If you have any questions feel free to pop into the Navy thread in GiP and we could give a lot of feedback if what you are being told sounds fishy, or just answer any questions you might have in general. My particular piece of advice is if the recruiter is suggesting to enter as an undesignated seaman and strike for a rate after they "figure out what they like" that you do not take that advice and instead work to get guaranteed A-school/rate choice, it is one of the few conditional guarantees you can get that you can count on coming through. Or if you don't want to post in the thread but still have questions you can pm me and I can give some answers, although I have been out for about 8 years now, so my knowledge is a bit rusty.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

T-man posted:

1. why are there mines up there in the first place
2. how many people died from the mines up there
3. I'm an expert at minesweeper.exe and it still seems pretty drat dangerous and mentally unhealthy to be at constant risk of death.

also lol that people think having actual political beliefs that shape how i view the world and the actions of those in the world = trolling. :v

T-man, I gently suggest that if you want people to listen to your points, it might be wise to give even the slightest indication that you're listening to theirs instead of just mocking them. If you hold that your beliefs are so infallible that you're always right and everyone who disagrees with you even mildly is always wrong, then you've invented yourself a religion, and it really isn't worth arguing with someone whose politics carry the force of religious fervor.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

That reminds me that I need to tell my recruiter to go gently caress himself.... About ten years later. gently caress.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

PetraCore posted:

I think it's important to note that the military-industrial complex wants to keep people poor, desperate, and disenfranchised in the country they're supposed to 'support' because it's the only way they can consistently recruit. It's a form of abusive exploitation even if you end up doing stuff like minesweeping or just doing engineering work on naval ships, but like a lot of things, the fault lies a lot more with the 'class' of officers, generals, and military leaders than the people who enlisted out of desperation, even if plenty of enlisted people can also be assholes.

I'm coming at this from the POV of someone from an enlisted naval family, though. I've seen how the complex chewed up and spit out my brothers, and now the stuff they go through with the VA because warmongering capitalists only care about people who can still be used up.

Yeah it's this, instead of having the military exist as a defacto welfare and job placement organization, maybe we could spend some of that money on actual welfare and job placement programs.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

hyperhazard posted:

For some reason all of the practicing Catholics I know are also from eastern PA (a good mix of Main Line and Pennsyltucky) and they're all pretty leftist. The older generation is really against abortion, though, and will vote based on that alone.

There was a fascinating article that I read a while back that of loving course I can't find now. I'm probably forgetting a lot of the nuance, but it basically said that once the Civil Rights Movement really got going and it was no longer cool to be openly racist and segregationist, conservatives needed something else to rally their troops. So they came up with the issue of abortion.

Specifically it was a need to keep Evangelicals engaged who, up until the fights over segregation and school segregation in particular, had stayed out of politics because that was a worldly concern and they were supposed to be beyond those. Abortion had always been an issue for Catholics, but that was along with a host of social justice efforts the church supported and Republicans hated. So they basically invented a new platform of social conservatism around abortion, reproductive rights, and overall family values to rally conservative Christians around, regardless of denomination. It was super effective.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Thanks for the advice everyone:) , she’s still nearly 3 years away and will be doing A levels and then an extra year in college specifically to prep* while she waits for her braces to come off.

*I love that some kid she knows and washed out of the course said “don’t do it all it is is ex-army guys shouting at you to run faster” and she went “and? If you can’t take large men shouting at you why would you want to be in the military”

Edit: she was the only girl in her class in engineering school and has the equivalent of 3 a* in engineering and an a in electronics GCSEs and did a internship at Mercedes Benz so this isn’t some “I want to join the navy because I don’t know what else to do” thing

learnincurve has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Nov 28, 2020

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/spiritnght/status/1332703700612243457?s=21

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Don't let your kid enlist

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

learnincurve posted:

Edit: she was the only girl in her class in engineering school and has the equivalent of 3 a* in engineering and an a in electronics GCSEs and did a internship at Mercedes Benz so this isn’t some “I want to join the navy because I don’t know what else to do” thing
I thought the whole premise of your argument here was that she was poor and had no other options.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Vib Rib posted:

I thought the whole premise of your argument here was that she was poor and had no other options.
There's a lot of brilliant poor people who can't afford college and don't have a bunch of networking options, Vib Rib.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It really would be weird if it's got veins and poo poo.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
Idiots on Social Media: god bless you for being in the army

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

PetraCore posted:

There's a lot of brilliant poor people who can't afford college and don't have a bunch of networking options, Vib Rib.
I apologize. I assumed getting GCSEs, going to an engineering school, and having an internship at Mercedes-Benz meant that she did go to college and did have networking options.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh no no, she’s 16, she was bright enough to hack it at engineering school and confident enough to, and I poo poo you not, walk into a Mercades Benz main dealership and say “I’m at engineering school can I do an internship with you in your repair shop please?” but I ain’t got the money to sent her to university and the Navy does - my cousin did the same thing with the Australian Army and runs some sort of high tech computer security company now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
Your daughter sounds p. cool. You should be proud of her. :3: