Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

What is your fascination with my forbidden closet of mystery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SmokaDustbowl posted:

when I was a teenager there was a public golf course down the way, so we'd sit on public benches outside the course and smoke weed and yell right when someone was going to tee off

loving with golfers is always funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C1Pr4AU2wc

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sagebrush posted:

is it about my cube?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i probably missed desk chat but it is loving hilarious

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Ahahahhahaa the local CBS affiliate (KDKA) shared a heartwarming story about a local chef delivering hot Thanksgiving meals to families in need

Then we got ten minutes of this guy driving his Range Rover around gated communities in an upscale area called Cranberry Township, delivering meals to people in $600k+ houses talking about how they’re working from home and can’t get out to get a meal for thanksgiving.

Absolutely beyond parody

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Ahahahhahaa the local CBS affiliate (KDKA) shared a heartwarming story about a local chef delivering hot Thanksgiving meals to families in need

Then we got ten minutes of this guy driving his Range Rover around gated communities in an upscale area called Cranberry Township, delivering meals to people in $600k+ houses talking about how they’re working from home and can’t get out to get a meal for thanksgiving.

Absolutely beyond parody

no loving way. got a video clip?

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Roosevelt posted:

no loving way. got a video clip?

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/11/26/pittsburgh-soup-club-thanksgiving-meals/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

skip to 1:30

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
They have class solidarity. Do You?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

quote:

“You’re supposed to give back. What an amazing year in a lot of ways,” said Annapolen.

faaaaaartz

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
If you’re below the socioeconomic level of the people in that video you might as well be invisible in America, but that video is beyond parody and I get angrier the more I think about it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's read like it's an act of charity but it sounds like he's just running an under the table food delivery service? I'm just too busy working to cook and also I don't feel like it

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

PokeJoe posted:

It's read like it's an act of charity but it sounds like he's just running an under the table food delivery service? I'm just too busy working to cook and also I don't feel like it

That’s precisely what he’s doing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I ordered a sandwich from one of those 'ghost kitchens' on grubhub yesterday and spent three hours on the toilet last night.

Hope yall are ready for uninspected grey market 'restaurants' to be the next thing to extract value

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Lol I wish the news would give me free press about my jitney soup app

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

*stirs a big bag of powder into a stockpot*

SOUPS ON, $50 A GALLON

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
fifty loving dollars a gallon for tomato soup

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
He’s giving back

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Rewatch it in case the part where he says grocery stores are the only place to get food right now. It was so stupid it completely flew over my head the first time.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
holy gently caress

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this dude has such a captive market too. i know of a lot of people that used to cook, but for the past six months all they do is talk about the poo poo they got delivered for lunch today, and then a different delivery for dinner later. they're spending a hundred dollars a day on postmates because they are too weak to say "Sorry boss, it's 6pm, i need to log off and throw a steak on. See you in the morning!"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that guy has extreme Chowdy energy

quote:

I’ve always known that I want to be my own boss at some point. By 2014, I started to seriously think about starting something, anything. I was getting antsy because I knew that it’d take me multiple years and attempts to build something successful, so I needed to get started ASAP. It seems silly in hindsight, but I wanted to “make it” by the age of 30.

So, I quit my job as soon as I got my bonus that year. I didn’t have any business ideas when I quit, but I figured quitting the job would give me the motivation and time figure it out.

The idea for Chowdy came about in a random conversation I had with my housemate and soon-to-be business partner complaining about how food was so expensive in Toronto. Since neither of us knew how to cook we should just hire a chef to make our food for us. I applied my consulting modeling skills and quickly realized that it’d be too expensive to cook for just the two of us. Then we wondered what if we could have a chef make food for 10-20 of our friends, and for multiple days at a time.

quote:

The first challenge was ingredient sourcing. We started with buying ingredients ourselves from local supermarkets. We would rent a car on production days, drive to cheap Chinese supermarkets, and buy 1-2 shopping carts worth of ingredients.

After about 3 months our volume became way too big for us to shop for ourselves. Additionally, I realized we were not taking advantage of our volume to get discounts on the ingredients. That’s when someone explained to me how restaurants get their ingredients from national distributors like Sysco and GFS. With that, I reached out to a bunch of these suppliers through their websites. Initially, I didn’t get any response back. I then called them directly and was able to meet with some of their reps to figure out how we can buy ingredients from them.

The next problem was the facility. We were using our cook’s home kitchen in the beginning. But very quickly that became unfeasible as we learned that it’s illegal to use home kitchen for commercially sold food. Also, home kitchens are simply not equipped with all the specialized and expensive equipment that commercial restaurants use for volume production (like a convection oven and tilt skillet). So we looked around for any commercial kitchens we can rent for cheap. At one point we had the idea to partner up with nightclubs, which are all legally required to have commercial kitchens but they rarely use them. We were able to get a couple of nightclubs to agree to let us use their kitchens for cheap, but this turned out to be a big mistake as we found out that these kitchens were woefully under-equipped and not very clean (we had 2 hires walk out on us because of it).

quote:

In building up our food production and distribution process, we should have consulted with the health department early on. We should have paid a private consultant to come in and do an audit for us. Early warning on this would have provided us with ample time to try different distribution models and adjust accordingly. Instead, we were hit with an abrupt shutdown order and as the result could not muster any resources in the short term to make operational changes.

But we didn’t consult anyone. Because we were inspired by Uber and Airbnb to just ignore the regulators. On top of this, there were a bunch of other mistakes in hindsight; which, although did not directly cause Chowdy’s demise, all contributed to it:

too much to post but lots more here https://www.failory.com/interview/chowdy

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I barely have ordered any food since March. I've made home cooked meals almost every night.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Because we were inspired by Uber and Airbnb to just ignore the regulators.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
the food I can get here is the reason I’m slow to leave omaha

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

I ordered a sandwich from one of those 'ghost kitchens' on grubhub yesterday and spent three hours on the toilet last night.

Hope yall are ready for uninspected grey market 'restaurants' to be the next thing to extract value

there's one in my old neighborhood and everything i had from them was real good and i never had an issue with them. sorry about whatever lovely place you ordered from tho

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

fuckken hell nice legacy you’ve left there uber and airbnb regarding your impact on business practice

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i'm the brief flash of the 'price range' indicator on his facebook page that you'll see if your eyes are quick enough

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ignore the regulators long enough to make enough money to change the regulations

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Rewatch it in case the part where he says grocery stores are the only place to get food right now. It was so stupid it completely flew over my head the first time.

this is where i turned it off lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

i think my favorite part is "applying consulting modeling skills," i.e. arithmetic

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

god drat a guy delivering overpriced soup to people in cranberry is now a heartwarming puff piece. what the gently caress is wrong with our society. i mean good for him and all for the hustle but framing this as some sort of community giving is the most perverted poo poo i've seen in a while

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

that guy has extreme Chowdy energy

too much to post but lots more here https://www.failory.com/interview/chowdy

genius way to leverage other people’s failures by making them inspirational

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

cmon frenchie, say chowdy

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

PIZZA.BAT posted:

this is where i turned it off lol

You missed him making deliveries in gated communities with his $95K car while talking about giving back!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Endless Mike posted:

there's one in my old neighborhood and everything i had from them was real good and i never had an issue with them. sorry about whatever lovely place you ordered from tho

oh cool that's cool then

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jonny 290 posted:

this dude has such a captive market too. i know of a lot of people that used to cook, but for the past six months all they do is talk about the poo poo they got delivered for lunch today, and then a different delivery for dinner later. they're spending a hundred dollars a day on postmates because they are too weak to say "Sorry boss, it's 6pm, i need to log off and throw a steak on. See you in the morning!"

this still blows my mind. we’ve ordered two pizzas (for my so) since the pandemic started and that’s the sum total of meals i haven’t cooked in that time.

in re ghost kitchens i get so pissed off at that poo poo. it’s dangerous and undercuts and undervalues food by people doing it right because they’re not paying for insurance or permits or commercial space.

i don’t care if someone is selling cookies under the table that’s fine, but meats? whole meals? no fuckin’ way am i eating that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its at the point where you can look at a "new" place on grubhub, look up their address and there are nine fake restaurants working out of that same place. they all have vague simulacrum names too like Crave Burger and Bowling for Pholumbine