Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
also some drag queens opened up a food service here and i clicked on the instagram ad because why not and they want $125 for two meals and two desserts. lol what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

Crave Burger

is an actual local chain with real locations in the twin cities which probably helps throw up enough chaff in search results

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

hobbesmaster posted:

is an actual local chain with real locations in the twin cities which probably helps throw up enough chaff in search results

i'm pretty sure that's a tactic yep

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ive never wanted to wait 45 minutes to get cold food so ive never used grubhub.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
honestly i'm still giggling at bowling for pholumbine

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I order out way too much because I have a 8 month old and no familial help because of pandemic (mother in law just tested negative after some necessary emergency flights so she can come over and help... finally). I love cooking tho so of course I tried blue apron to see if that was worth it at all and it is not. I’d rather just order out than cook some half rear end meal from them.

I do make a home cooked lunch/breakfast almost every day tho.

also re: giving back, me and my dad used to go to the local soup kitchens that would do holiday meal boxes and deliver them to people around thanksgiving and Christmas. I hated it because I was a miserable teen but it was actually something nice to do for people and I’m probably going to do it with my kid later on.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Jonny 290 posted:

Bowling for Pholumbine

lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i order out too much because i ask my body “what do you want?” and the answer I get back is always something terrible for me

wish my brain would remember how food made me feel after eating it rather than the first second i bite into it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah i've been cooking 2-3 meals a day for most of the pandemic and it's been great actually. good food and cheaper. but the two biggest things i have learned are

1) you can never have too much counter space
2) you just never loving stop cleaning the kitchen, holy poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’d rather never eat again for the rest of my life if I could. I hate (how much I have no control around) food

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sagebrush posted:

yeah i've been cooking 2-3 meals a day for most of the pandemic and it's been great actually. good food and cheaper. but the two biggest things i have learned are

abc

a always
b be
c cleaning the loving kitchen

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I bought some hanger things that go on the back of ur closet doors to give you more space so i could take stuff off my counters and stick it in there cause you can never have enough counter space. I also bought a way better dishwasher because i am always cleaning the kitchen.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i found a local farm that got into deliveries plus distro for other local farms and it’s been great. all our produce is now grown about 45 minutes away and gets delivered every friday. haven’t found a good source for greek yog yet so i still go to the store periodically for that. looking forward to ordering another side of beef in feb.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

My new place has probably 4 times the counter space of my last place. It makes cooking so much more pleasant.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
the greatest improvement to my cooking comfort was getting a few decent knives. i can't believe how bad my old knives were, it made a huge difference. my kitchen is not bad but i wouldn't scoff at more counter space, too.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Shaggar posted:

I also bought a way better dishwasher because i am always cleaning the kitchen.
we just got a new dishwasher installed today and i can’t believe we were suffering with the old one so long. that piece of junk would only work like 25% of the time we tried to start it lol. 12 years before it finally died its final death

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i use a $20 10" chicago cutlery chef knife that i know how to sharpen, and i also have 3" and 5" ceramic paring knives that I bought from Harbor Freight for $4 each. I love them and they're $4 so if you drop and shatter one, who gives a gently caress

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

we just got a new dishwasher installed today and i can’t believe we were suffering with the old one so long. that piece of junk would only work like 25% of the time we tried to start it lol. 12 years before it finally died its final death

the old one i had was a piece of poo poo brand new. The new one is a bosch and its incredible.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
i mean, yeah, when I said "decent" i meant "not the cheapest garbage you can buy", my knives cost around the same as yours. i just had some i think totally bottom-shelf stuff before so the difference was huge for me.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

basically just don’t buy knife block kits.

my fav cheapo is the victorinox plastic handled ones.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

get yourself a chinese chef's knoife, the kind with a carbon steel blade and plain round wooden handle that you get in a chinatown hardware store, and a 1000/4000 waterstone to sharpen it. that and any paring knife will cover like 90% of knife needs

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo

mediaphage posted:

heyyy yeah i have the victorinox knives, they're good

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i want to get myself one of those magnetic knife mounts so i don't have to worry about whether any knife i get will be compatible with the block i have and then start working on building a real set instead of the handful of steak knives + butcher knife that i have now

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

get yourself a chinese chef's knoife, the kind with a carbon steel blade and plain round wooden handle that you get in a chinatown hardware store, and a 1000/4000 waterstone to sharpen it. that and any paring knife will cover like 90% of knife needs

I'll see your chinese cleaver and raise you with the Serbian cleaver. just learned about them and wanna pick one up

they're all carbon steel so you gotta take care of it

Idea is the same but you get a slightly better detail point for lil' chopping that you'd probably pull out the paring knife for but you're lazy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have this one, it's real good and strong and my friend

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XD751TX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Shaggar posted:

the old one i had was a piece of poo poo brand new. The new one is a bosch and its incredible.
nice. i wanted a bosch but no one local installs/services them including warranty work. so settled for a kitchenaid. it’s still so much better than the samsung garbage we had

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

THEY MAKE ONES THAT CAN BE FRIDGE MOUNTED!?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

in hellworld news i'm absolutely relishing the delicious irony of fetterman's rising national profile being directly from trump's temper tantrum

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

nice. i wanted a bosch but no one local installs/services them including warranty work. so settled for a kitchenaid. it’s still so much better than the samsung garbage we had

i just did the install myself. the only difficult part was i had to enlarge the existing hole for the drain hose.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

tk posted:

My new place has probably 4 times the counter space of my last place. It makes cooking so much more pleasant.

This was the deciding factor in my picking my current apartment over another place.

mediaphage posted:

I need a block because my cats are morons and constantly paw at my knives if they're left out on the drying mat.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

every time a motherfucker mentions a ceramic knife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbPWitSTe2k

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This was the deciding factor in my picking my current apartment over another place.

I need a block because my cats are morons and constantly paw at my knives if they're left out on the drying mat.

i didn’t say not to buy a knife block, i said not to buy a knife block kit

anyway normal knife blocks actually do suck tho i prefer a thing that fits inside a drawer

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i hate knife blocks. theyre so gross. lil' bacteria beehives

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Bowling for Pholumbine

loving lomarf

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

Bowling for Pholumbine

Is this real

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i use my boning knife a lot. it works great as a filet knife too, it's a victorinox. i have one of those chinese cleavers too and its good when you're breaking down a lot of vegetables but i usually opt for the normal chefs knife for your average weeknight meal

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

honestly i'm still giggling at bowling for pholumbine

fahrenheit naan-a-leavened

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

President Beep posted:

fahrenheit naan-a-leavened

We run this poo poo, my dude.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

We run this poo poo, my dude.

:cool::respek::cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

President Beep posted: