Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Jonny 290 posted:

im bringing my strem back this fall/winter and we're gonna play old video games

just now debugged all the bullshit you get when you plug an OG xbox into a cheap chinese hdmi adapter and then a cheap chinese cap dongle

Gotta set up filters and scaling but

https://i.imgur.com/ClvgGI8.mp4

How are you playing these old SNES games, specifically the RPGs?

I used to have a bunch of roms but I probably lost them many moves ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

syntaxrigger posted:

How are you playing these old SNES games, specifically the RPGs?

I used to have a bunch of roms but I probably lost them many moves ago.

i have an original halo xbox that is softmodded and has emulators and roms loaded on it. it's old enough to buy cigarettes and vote, but it still works perfectly

I'm probably going to migrate to my new raspberry pi 400 once it shows up though. the xbox is annoying to janitor because it doesn't have wifi and i don't have ethernet drops on that side of the house so i have to either relocate it or run a 100 foot ethernet patch across the house to load more roms or tweak config files etc

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

run a 100 foot ethernet patch across the house

big my first apartment energy

edit: i think i have my orinoco silver with external antenna somewhere

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 11, 2020

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Jonny 290 posted:

i have an original halo xbox that is softmodded and has emulators and roms loaded on it. it's old enough to buy cigarettes and vote, but it still works perfectly

I'm probably going to migrate to my new raspberry pi 400 once it shows up though. the xbox is annoying to janitor because it doesn't have wifi and i don't have ethernet drops on that side of the house so i have to either relocate it or run a 100 foot ethernet patch across the house to load more roms or tweak config files etc

Ok cool I forgot that the raspberrypi has like a rom community. I'll have to check that out.

orly
Oct 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
For my pandemic music compositions, I finally fell into the vaporwave / city pop youtube sinkhole and had to do something about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PScK5Fbi-xs

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

orly posted:

For my pandemic music compositions, I finally fell into the vaporwave / city pop youtube sinkhole and had to do something about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PScK5Fbi-xs
this makes me want to play Secret of Monkey Island 2 for some reason

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

toiletbrush posted:

this makes me want to play Secret of Monkey Island 2 for some reason

I think it’s the 6-bit color palette that really does it

it means you can use plenty of color but nothing gets too photorealistic unless it’s a static scene

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

Pile Of Garbage posted:

not really a project, just something fun:

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/1314622661180309504

edit: as i've found twitter took the lazy option with handling control characters. you can't use anything from 00 to 1F but outside of that it's anything goes.

Nice!

years ago i made a unicode tweeter https://holloway.nz/steg/ but then twitter changed how they filtered characters so I don't know if it works anymore

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Got my BennVenn solder-less replacement LCD screen for my Lynx II during the week.

Here's a before shot of the two Lynx I own, with the faulty one at top. Both running Basketbrawl. The top screen isn't as bad as the photo shows, I had to take the photo at a weird angle so I wasn't shown in the reflection of the screens:

Here's a better photo showing why the screen needed to be replaced:

The rubber strips the hide the screws at the back were a complete arse to remove. Atari used some strong glue on those. Out with the old:

In with the new:

Initial test with the back casing removed. First try had no display but sound, the ribbon cable had become detached from the rear of the screen as I didn't push the locking mechanism down hard enough. Second go got the correct results:

OG screen vs. New screen:

More games:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

oh hell yes. I need to upgrade mine at some point

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

when motorola went rogue

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Luigi Thirty posted:

oh hell yes. I need to upgrade mine at some point

This is the site that sells them: https://bennvenn.myshopify.com/collections/aftermarket-lcds/products/lynxii-drop-in-lcd-kit-solderless-drop-in-pre-order-rev5

Pretty cheap price, and since they are Australian like me, got it pretty quick in the mail. There is one bit you can solder for the backlight if you want, but that's option. Saves a lot of time compared to the previous kit that required you to solder patch wires for all the connections

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
what an amazing upgrade to a weird old console. well done

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

worked on porting Something Awful forum reader app, written in C#/.NET with Xamarin.Forms (one that currently runs on iOS, Android, and Windows/UWP), to Tizen. just to see if I could.

it took four to five hours for me to:

- set up the SDK
- fight the SDK to get it to recognize OpenJDK
- fight Windows to turn off Hyper-V, since the Tizen emulator demands HAXM.
- fight the SDK programs to run in High-DPI mode.
- set up the deployment environment to run in Visual Studio.
- set up the Tizen bootstrap Forms project.
- finally get my app deployed, only to see that Tizen.NET demands very specific versions of sqlite, and anything too old or too new will kill the app. not throw an exception, just flat out quit when loading the DLLs.
- fix that, notice that all web requests throw a single string error "resource temporarily unavailable"
- try seeing if the emulator can access the internet, turns out the emulator doesn't bundle a browser or anything simple like that to see.
- search online, find out that all Tizen apps require privileges in their config.xml to allow internet access, and their default templates don't add that.
- add that privilege string, finally can log in.
- then notice that all web requests throw about 50% of the time. but the debugger doesn't capture the exception, it just silently dies.
- in that, that goes for just about everything with the debugger. put a breakpoint, it'll probably die. step through code? yep, debugger will break. why? who the gently caress knows.

tizen sucks poo poo.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
sounds awful

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

drat now how will all the tizen users out there view these forums?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

one of the only funny things lowtax ever did was ban some guy for browsing the forums from a webtv

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Sagebrush posted:

one of the only funny things lowtax ever did was ban some guy for browsing the forums from a webtv

lol yeah

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yeah you're supposed to look at tv on the internet not internet on the tv

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

yeah you're supposed to look at tv on the internet not internet on the tv

speaking of which, my last SA app, last updated a few years ago, still runs on the Xbox.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I've found that cool calculator in someone's trash.

The finance and stat functions are accessed by pressing the screen itself but it doesn't seem to react.
Is it the kind of tech that goes bad over time ? It works fine otherwise.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I’ve been learning / messing around with Blender and welp

https://twitter.com/s_ridenour/status/1338340898665451520

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s good mate

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
:tipshat:

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Problem: lamp switch is out of reach when I'm sitting on the couch, and I'm too lazy to get up

Solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUigB-bNHEU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
neat. are you doing any bounce removal or smoothing on the input? always wondered how well those lil guys worked

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

It's just taking measurements every 100ms and it needs four in a row under the threshold to switch the relay. Then you have to move your hand away to reset the count before it will switch again.

The threshold distance is controlled by a potentiometer so it's adjustable; right now it's like 15-20 cm or so which seems to work.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

two questions

1) are you switching 120vac directly into that blue relay box? be careful. those things are...iffy. if you're only switching it a few times a day it'll probably be fine, but those contacts aren't made super well and the cheapo amazon ones will be as cheap as possible.

better than trying to switch high-power dc with them, though.

2) i like your motel carpet

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Nice, yeah i had to do a LOT of smoothing and averaging to get yosvape's PID loop and its controls working right. that codebase is 80% ring buffers by volume.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

two questions

1) are you switching 120vac directly into that blue relay box? be careful. those things are...iffy. if you're only switching it a few times a day it'll probably be fine, but those contacts aren't made super well and the cheapo amazon ones will be as cheap as possible.

better than trying to switch high-power dc with them, though.

2) i like your motel carpet

1. Cool that's good to know. It's just like a 60w bulb, might replace it with an LED one to get even less current draw.

2. Lol every piece of furniture in my condo including that rug is a hand me down from my parents. Who has money to buy things

Jonny 290 posted:

Nice, yeah i had to do a LOT of smoothing and averaging to get yosvape's PID loop and its controls working right. that codebase is 80% ring buffers by volume.

Yeah I haven't done much with PID stuff, we had to take a control theory class for my electromech diploma though. The code for this is simple af since it's just a switch

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
If you switched to a solid state relay you could PWM the light and turn it on more or less depending on how close you waved your hand. that would be nifty.

might need to detect zero crossings on the AC rail and take that into consideration, idk

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

on a Sega Saturn kick again. I love this hosed up little computer so much!

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1340184962629332993

I want to figure out how to dispatch tasks to the second CPU via interrupt. like having CPU2 be doing my polygon transforms in the background, using a list of 3D objects, while CPU1 is handling 2D layer updates. I have a C library and compiler thank god.

the big problem was that most third party developers just used one CPU and ignored the DSP and CPU2, apparently.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i don't think there are enough drugs left in the world to make someone understand saturn multiprocessing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8plen8cLro

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

and then the ps3 came along with its 7 independent math coprocessors and made all the old cpu/gpu/dsp designs look quaint and trivial in comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0-NEwh1m2c

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
one cpu consisting of 1 primary core (hyperthreaded, naturally, for 2 logical cores) and 7 independent streaming cores, with its own internal bus in addition to the traditional system bus connecting to cache layers and ram and also to a traditional gpu + dedicated ram because why not

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
it's a recurring bad idea in computer architecture:

personA: maintaining memory coherence across multiple cores takes a lot of chip area, power, and engineering effort

personB: what if we gave up on coherence and used the savings to deliver super high peak numbers that nobody in the real world will ever see except for a few edge cases enabled by heroic programmer effort??? i'm a genius!

supposedly sony's original plan was to do all graphics compute on the SPE cores, but that had to be shitcanned late in ps3's dev cycle because even sony couldn't make the SPEs fly. so they got nvidia to slightly modify a pc gpu and shoved it in

because of these poor architectural choices the ps3 was dense with expensive silicon which looked amazing on paper, but in practice the xbox360 was equal or better and far cheaper to build

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
I remember seeing research projects where people were implementing caches in software to automate filling the scratchpad memory so they could be useful for anything with a working set larger than a few hundred k. So naturally the way to program the PS3 was to just port the xbox version then set aside some subset of features to port to the SPUs, then drop half of them because deadlines.

Every decade needs its Itanium I guess.

Stack Machine fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 23, 2020

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

haveblue posted:

one cpu consisting of 1 primary core (hyperthreaded, naturally, for 2 logical cores) and 7 independent streaming cores, with its own internal bus in addition to the traditional system bus connecting to cache layers and ram and also to a traditional gpu + dedicated ram because why not

one physical package, two toolchains

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
I worked on an unreleased xb360 and ps3 cross platform game where xb360 was the lead platform. At one point we found that naive porting of C++ code to the SPUs could still be very worthwhile because it took pressure off the weedy lil cpu. We made some smart pointers that, when dereferenced, would DMA the object pointed to from main memory to a small local buffer (with some caching). Terrible stuff all around and I look back on it fondly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the cell was kind of novel for about two years after it's launch in 2005, then nvidia came along with cuda and that was it. ibm declared it "an architectural dead end" and killed it in 2009 leaving sony to wallow in their mess by themselves. i don't think ibm's rumored octopiler that would auto-generate spe code ever saw the light of day