Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

mediaphage posted:

this is true, however, if you have a good full day once a month, it's honestly very easy to prep food and produce and meals to basically last an entire month with very little further effort / mess.
if you really know what you’re doing and/or have the right supplies, very yes

if you’re a normie in resources/knowledge then every sunday is a little easier for most people to swing. my parents (of no great culinary ability and living in the armpit of Canada) did it 40 years ago

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Kenny Logins posted:

living in the armpit of Canada

oh, they spent time in the states?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

wtf is italianx

is that some sort of spaghetti making robot?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Kenny Logins posted:

if you really know what you’re doing and/or have the right supplies, very yes

if you’re a normie in resources/knowledge then every sunday is a little easier for most people to swing. my parents (of no great culinary ability and living in the armpit of Canada) did it 40 years ago

know what you’re doing, maybe. but even outside of enthusiast cookery once a month cooking (“oamc”) has been a huge trend in recent years among very normal people. tons of blogs and groups and pinterests etc dedicated to it.

i’d argue it’s only worthwhile if you own a standalone freezer tho.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

mediaphage posted:

i’d argue it’s only worthwhile if you own a standalone freezer tho.
yeah “supplies” was the wrong word, maybe “equipment” would have been better. but we’re on the same page here

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

wtf is italianx

is that some sort of spaghetti making robot?

it's a tactless appropriation of latinx which is a non-gendered word for folks of latin origin because white people can't help but steal from everyone else and then claim victimhood

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Blinkz0rz posted:

it's a tactless appropriation of latinx which is a non-gendered word for folks of latin origin because white people can't help but steal from everyone else and then claim victimhood

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Blinkz0rz posted:

i’m anglx

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

do not oppress me for my heritage!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Actually the Italians and Irish are pocs.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
pieces of crap? as an italian, i agree

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

big paddx here

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

goonx

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I don’t understand why the non-gendered term is Latinx instead of just Latin, which already exists and is already non-gendered.

Also, how do you pronounce Latinx? Latinsh? Latinks? Latin-ecks?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Doc Block posted:

I don’t understand why the non-gendered term is Latinx instead of just Latin, which already exists and is already non-gendered.

the descriptive words for folks of latin american origin in spanish are latino and latina because spanish is a gendered language

latinx respects the gender-like suffix while removing the gendering itself

iirc spanish also has no way of expressing a person of latin american origin who is non-binary so latinx does that as well

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

a great resource might be the thread in minority rapport

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813960&perpage=40&noseen=1

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Doc Block posted:

latin is a dead language. latino and latina are words that have existed for millions of years, so that's the important part

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Doc Block posted:

"latine", if the internet is anything to go by.

Also the way to spell it?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

lol

i mostly phrased it like that because a lot of goons have terrible diets. i eat like a pound of vegetables a day at least.

my diet isn’t terrible it just serves a different purpose

an early grave

fart simpson posted:

yeah we've recently started doing this a bit better. washing, cutting, drying vegetables, rolling them in paper towels and putting them in the fridge. makes it a lot easier to just pull some stuff out and cook asap during the week

what’s the storage like for this? i realised carrots were getting flaccid until i kept them inside plastic bag

also what’s wrong with freeze dried i suppose you don’t want to boil everything lol

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Roosevelt posted:

latin is a dead language. latino and latina are words that have existed for millions of years, so that's the important part

Latin as in Latin Americans.

And apparently the pronunciation is just “Latin Ecks” 🤷‍♂️

Blinkz0rz posted:

the descriptive words for folks of latin american origin in spanish are latino and latina because spanish is a gendered language

iirc spanish also has no way of expressing a person of latin american origin who is non-binary so latinx does that as well

yes I’m aware of WHY people use latinx.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 29, 2020

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Actually the Italians and Irish are pocs.

my gf is full blown irish and she’s pretty drat white

she has a heritage of oppression by the english but .. quite white.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

in ireland, does poc mean "protestant or catholic"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
new zealands biggest news website and owner of newspapers is today doing a huge “we are sorry” and have spent a long time researching how all their papers have contributes to racist attitudes toward maori and its big front page thing. might be a bit of a world first idk.

can’t wait for the racist backlash 🙄

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

I'm Xrxsh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

flakeloaf posted:

jesus lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

my diet isn’t terrible it just serves a different purpose

an early grave

what’s the storage like for this? i realised carrots were getting flaccid until i kept them inside plastic bag

also what’s wrong with freeze dried i suppose you don’t want to boil everything lol

for most things, you can roll your prepped veg in a paper towel, then a plastic bag or sealed container. the container keeps moisture high, the towel prevents it from condensing as much on the surface of the veg and getting slimy.

you can also just keep root vegetables buried in sand for a while.

freeze dried is great, especially for vegetables
you plan to cook! it’s just expensive as gently caress for the quantity if you don’t buy a $2k consumer freeze dryer that is by all reports a bit finicky.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

most Spanish speakers don’t seem to care much because gendered languages do things like have everyone’s hands be male and their head be female

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Guys I'm Dutchx and my fellow Caucasianx peoples are very much offended.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have never known a person of latin american descent to say "latinx"

as with many of these generalizations it's term that can nearly always be replaced by something more specific, or if not, it should make you question whether you really need to be grouping people that way

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Doc Block posted:

Latin as in Latin Americans.
block, by reference to your example, calling someone a latin is exactly the same as calling someone an oriental. maybe that helps

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

as with many of these generalizations it's term that can nearly always be replaced by something more specific, or if not, it should make you question whether you really need to be grouping people that way

AFAIK it has its origins in American acadamia. apparently without any thought given as to how to pronounce it.

Kenny Logins posted:

block, by reference to your example, calling someone a latin is exactly the same as calling someone an oriental. maybe that helps

😬

I didn’t mean “a latin”, just “latin” instead of “latino” or “latina” vs “latinx”, but if that’s still the implication then eww never mind

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 29, 2020

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sagebrush posted:

question whether you really need to be grouping people that way

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Doc Block posted:

AFAIK it has its origins in American acadamia. apparently without any thought given as to how to pronounce it.

this is because nobody in academia expects people to read their work aloud or at all

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

racism exists but what are you gonna fuckin do about it

the left: "give people big checks to stay home and not die or spread the pandemic"
liberals: "ensure that the police officer refers to you as latinx instead of as a beaner"

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I’m part Mexican and have never heard any of my family, young or old, use the term latinx. seems like a term only used in writing.

but they also just call themselves Mexican, or Mexican-American.

and yeah, don’t throw all people from former Spanish colonies into one big group. :eng101:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

its almost like people's skin color actually doesn't determine their voting intention or political preferences as much as their class or cultural background does, hosed up

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Only terminally online people use that term seriously.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

something something new-englander Dunx

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

kitten emergency posted:

its almost like people's skin color actually doesn't determine their voting intention or political preferences as much as their class or cultural background does, hosed up

It's almost like "The Latino Vote" doesn't exist because latino people come from various countries and cultures and backgrounds. Whouldathunkit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Blinkz0rz posted:

latine has getting traction

https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/2019/10/15/20914347/latin-latina-latino-latinx-means

do watch la mas draga, it's on youtube with titles. it's good art.