Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Got my tree on Tuesday. It's a very Costco Christmas in our household.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The "unreal" dark chocolate+coconut bars are absolutely decadent

in typical costco fashion, individually packaged in plastic though

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Gatts posted:

The Costco in Detroit has some decent liquor optios.

Such as?

Golden Corral Massacre
Sep 8, 2008
I got the Serrano ham and am not impressed. Is everyone just pretending to like this poo poo? Is it an acquired taste?

Is it supposed to be...gamey? It’s got a real funk to it, like a stinky cheese. It tastes like prosciutto that’s gone bad.

Did I get a bad one, or is this what it’s supposed to be?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Golden Corral Massacre posted:

I got the Serrano ham and am not impressed. Is everyone just pretending to like this poo poo? Is it an acquired taste?

Is it supposed to be...gamey? It’s got a real funk to it, like a stinky cheese. It tastes like prosciutto that’s gone bad.

No, that sounds right. Iberico ham is basically like Gorgonzola ham.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
If you don’t like the ham can you return it? Anyone done that?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can return anything.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

You can return anything.

christmas_tree_return.jpg

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
The Costco pecan pie is pretty awesome.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah it's pretty bland, prosciutto is way better as far as cured hams go.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Carve all the meat, return the bone.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Picked up the 2.1 Klipsch speakers for the desktop. $50 off is a steal. This thing slaps.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Chinatown posted:

Picked up the 2.1 Klipsch speakers for the desktop. $50 off is a steal. This thing slaps.

those little 2.1 sets have always been surprisingly nice, had a Logitech set that I got from a thrift store for like $15 that was great too. Having the woofer really helps the range.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

those little 2.1 sets have always been surprisingly nice, had a Logitech set that I got from a thrift store for like $15 that was great too. Having the woofer really helps the range.

I replaced a ~$50 2.1 amazon china special that a subwoofer and all. This new one blows teh poo poo out of that. I can hear so much detail now. Really hard to describe its just FULL audio now.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
spent 130$ on 14 pounds of chicken breast, 16 pounds of pork loin and a 12 pound prime new york strip loin

i live alone and i had to tetris it into my freezer after i cut it all down bc i don't have a deep freeze but lmao i got all the meat

pbuc

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Suxpool posted:

spent 130$ on 14 pounds of chicken breast, 16 pounds of pork loin and a 12 pound prime new york strip loin

i live alone and i had to tetris it into my freezer after i cut it all down bc i don't have a deep freeze but lmao i got all the meat

pbuc

holy crap thats alot of MEAT

:worship:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Suxpool posted:

pbuc

I sent my wife to Costco yesterday to pick up the NY strip and pork loin. Arguably the best sales of the year, but it's really rough on my freezer space.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Got a ny strip loin today, gonna cut it into individual steaks and vacuum pack em and this time I’m not going to put in paper towel so I can sous vide them right in the vacuum bag

Dunno how that guy got a loin and 25 pounds of chicken and pork for $140 though, the loin alone was $115 even after discount and the chicken was $20 a pack after discount

Golden Corral Massacre
Sep 8, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah it's pretty bland, prosciutto is way better as far as cured hams go.

So the $100 ham is just a gimmick that everyone is pretending to like.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
I bought one of those Kirkland signature master carve hams for $2.50 a pound, was like $8 total, for thanksgiving. Very nice ham, excellent ham flavor, would ham again.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Whooping Crabs posted:

I bought one of those Kirkland signature master carve hams for $2.50 a pound, was like $8 total, for thanksgiving. Very nice ham, excellent ham flavor, would ham again.

Yeah, those and the adams reserve cheddar and the sourdough bread (rosens?) makes some good cheap sammies

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Whooping Crabs posted:

I'm probably picking a couple of these on Tuesday. One for now, one for Christmas. I'd really like this trip to be the only one between now and New Year's. In years past I could sneak one more visit in, but I'm in what my governor now calls an EXTREME ZONE for the roni, so I think it's one and done.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

fischtick posted:

I'm probably picking a couple of these on Tuesday. One for now, one for Christmas. I'd really like this trip to be the only one between now and New Year's. In years past I could sneak one more visit in, but I'm in what my governor now calls an EXTREME ZONE for the roni, so I think it's one and done.

My ham had an expiration of mid January so you may as well go ham wild

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Whooping Crabs posted:

are they on sale or something btw? Know they’re running some weird deals just for Black Friday, didn’t see it on sale in the store but maybe I missed it.

I thought normally it was $3.50 a pound?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 29, 2020

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

are they on sale or something btw? Know they’re running some weird deals just for Black Friday, didn’t see it on sale in the store but maybe I missed it.

I thought normally it was $3.50 a pound?

I bought it a week ago but I think there was a promotion

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I have been slicing up the Master Carve hams and grilling them to warm them up. Pretty Tasty otherwise I vacuum seal a chunk and warm it in a hot water bath. If I think ahead I throw in a few frozen ice cubes made of spicy honey mustard before vacuum sealing the ham. Lazy I know but decent taste for the effort.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chinatown posted:

I replaced a ~$50 2.1 amazon china special that a subwoofer and all. This new one blows teh poo poo out of that. I can hear so much detail now. Really hard to describe its just FULL audio now.

I’ve been using my promedia 2.1s for 10 years now and they’ve never stopped owning

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It's a good value for what it is. But yes, the gimmick is better than the flavor itself.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

If you cannot differentiate between ham and jamon, the jamon is not for you. If you're expecting it to taste like a spiral-cut brown sugar maple glaze you're going to be disappointed. If you think that dry-cured charcuterie tastes weird in general, do not buy the jamon.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Chinatown posted:

I had that system for years until I got rid of my desktop. It really blows everything else in that class away.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

GORDON posted:

Many years ago I had a visit from a friendly police officer who wanted to take a look at the big tomato plant I had in my kitchen, in front of the window, with the grow lamp. He must have been REALLY interested in the growing of indoor winter tomatoes. I love sharing my hobbies!

If it was visible through the window, someone might have called on you. I had the same thing happen to me when I was growing herbs on my windowsill, even with no lamp. The police showed up and said someone reported I was growing weed, so they had to come in and look at it. Quick affair, they looked at the plants and went on their way.

Idk who was dumb enough to report chives as weed.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

I have a friend who snags one when it’s half off then has a lazy dinner party to try and smash through it so I’ve eaten it a couple times.

I have not paid money for the ham myself or been given one to review so I can say this completely unbiased - the ham is awesome and I pity anyone who would not enjoy it outside of like moral/religious reasons. If it’s mediocre or even bad to you that is very sad.

As someone else said yeah it isn’t gonna taste like a honey glazed Christmas ham but it’s not supposed to.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
buying a 100$ goon endorsed costco ham gimmick and getting extremely surprised that it sucks

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Just picked up the Klipsch computer speakers. Getting tired of my nearly 20 years old Bose ones. If not, it is Costco and back they go.

Also picked up the Sous Vide they're selling. Gave it right to my wire to put under the tree with my name on it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
we have records of pliny the elder eating spanish jamon and noting that acorn was one of its flavors lol

'gimmicking' for two millenia

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I haven't had any acorns to compare, but it's fairly plain as far as dried cured meats go. There's a specific funkiness to it that may be an acquired taste, and it sticks with you and haunts your sinuses after eating multiple pounds in a day because you have to prove a point to your wife that yes this 12 lb ham was not a waste of money at all.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

It shouldn't be that funky. Serrano has a stronger flavor than prosciutto, but not excessively so. Somewhere in this thread I have a post with dishes that go well with serrano, but one of my favorites is making pan tumaca con jamon. It also pairs really well with queso manchego (most popular), cabrales, or queso tetilla. Another popular option is to do bocadillos where you basically just put some serrano and queso on bread, either warm or cold. The tapas version would be bocatines, which are smaller.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Maybe jamon is n95. Make a mask!

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Where da trees at!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Where da trees at!

Outside. You have to go outside. Don't do that, it's overrated.